• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST29 Feb. 2024| Two Handhelds, Both Alike In Dignity

What Is Your Burning Desire? — Read the ST First

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Where's the lie tho

look this is what I’ve been fucking saying

stop making games to just be like games! shit needs to come from a lot of sources to be good, and interesting perspectives must breathe the world

…see, I say it, and I believe it, but there has to be an asterisk here for the glory of @Dopply and the absolute flex that is Arzette: The Jewel of Faramore

Where is Tomodachi for Switch fellas?
can’t comment since I don’t fall under the fella umbrella

but as the wild-eyed interjecting interloper in this situation — I crave that weird shit

and look: I was a massive Miitomo fan. that was fucking weird. that was so fucking weird. and I miss it. the bare, bizarre intimacy of it cannot be overstated.

HOLY SHIIIIIIIT
I hope it's not tacky to cheer for my own faction but wow

This sounds like something Hayao Miyazaki would say
It's also something Aonuma said, iirc. When they were talking about the hiring process for Zelda I'm pretty sure he said they want to see people with hobbies outside of gaming, because they want to bring new ideas into their games rather than retread the same stuff. I totally get it (and think Nintendo should hire me because I love cars more than Aonuma loves motorcycles).

oh also @meatbag

uT3w2Ld.gif

you’ll be happy to know that is real Horse dialogue, except the last bit

just… maybe not in the right place

and only if you do something horrible
I just love that "real horse dialogue" is the sort of thing we're talking about in General Discussion.

The abyss returns.

It's also something Aonuma said, iirc. When they were talking about the hiring process for Zelda I'm pretty sure he said they want to see people with hobbies outside of gaming, because they want to bring new ideas into their games rather than retread the same stuff. I totally get it (and think Nintendo should hire me because I love cars more than Aonuma loves motorcycles).
And Aonuma himself used his hobby of karakuri puppets to bring a new dimension to Zelda dungeon design by creating puzzle boxes that twist and move as you manipulate their parts from the inside, like Stone Tower Temple or the Divine Beasts.

I sometimes wonder whether it's better creatively to really know the field you're getting into, or to bring in completely outside influences. I guess ideally you'd want to do both, but I think maybe it's not easy to fall between reinventing the wheel because you didn't know it had already been made and not giving the square wheel a second glance because it's always been there.

Last time I poured too much liquor I wrote 6 pages about plagiarism.
Wait where was I when this happened?!

I sometimes wonder whether it's better creatively to really know the field you're getting into, or to bring in completely outside influences. I guess ideally you'd want to do both
We do know Nintendo tries to do both, precisely because the expertise of fans plus outside influences can result in a more widely appealing creation

I put too much tequila in this margarita.
Ratio is very important for cocktails and proper dilution. I usually do 1.5 ounce base spirit, 3/4 citrus, 3/4 liqueur, and 1/2 to 1/4 sweetener. In the margarita case though I would bump up my tequila to 2 ounce. Usually the 1 part base, half parts citrus and liqueur, and 1/6 part sugar is good for cocktails because the liqueur usually adds sweetness. Also need to shake the shit out of it with ice. Usually one big rock with some pieces chipped off. This doesn’t over dilute but also allows aeration to give the margarita a better texture. I also serve on a huge square of ice so it can dilute over time with that extra spirit.

And Aonuma himself used his hobby of karakuri puppets to bring a new dimension to Zelda dungeon design by creating puzzle boxes that twist and move as you manipulate their parts from the inside, like Stone Tower Temple or the Divine Beasts.

I sometimes wonder whether it's better creatively to really know the field you're getting into, or to bring in completely outside influences. I guess ideally you'd want to do both, but I think maybe it's not easy to fall between reinventing the wheel because you didn't know it had already been made and not giving the square wheel a second glance because it's always been there.
Also, on a similar note, I feel like there's competing schools of thought on saying your piece and being done with it or making the same thing longterm. There was this shmup guy from I think Compile, and he had this attitude that you would never hone your craft if you kept making different types of games instead of iterating on the same concept and continually making it better. On the other hand, Gregg Mayles made two Donkey Kong Country games and was done with it, two Banjo-Kazooie games and was done with it. He accomplished what he wanted to and moved on. He seemed a bit confused when he saw that Retro continued doing basically the same thing with Donkey Kong that he had done in the 90's, saying that they could have evolved it much more or something along those lines.

I can see the wisdom in both approaches. Often diminishing returns kick in after the first or second attempt at something produces the best version of that idea one can come up with. It's why so many bands peak early in their careers, why so many shows deteriorate after so many seasons, why movie sequels are usually bad, why video game trilogies so frequently run out of steam. But there's something to be said for experience too. The fifth Dragon Quest is still often considered the best one, and it wouldn't have happened if Yuji Horii had decided he couldn't top III and left to pursue something completely different instead of exploring where he could take the series from there. It requires a special perspective I think. You need to be able to continue injecting new ideas into something, you can't just keep doing exactly what you're doing or you'll run out of material sooner rather than later.

There are days where I feel like that everyone on this site works for Nintendo or something to keep me finding out the truth, while all the Lurkers are watching me for entertainment purposes. I am almost ready to search for that backstage door somewhere.

There are days where I feel like that everyone on this site works for Nintendo or something to keep me finding out the truth, while all the Lurkers are watching me for entertainment purposes. I am almost ready to search for that backstage door somewhere.

truth-conspiracy.gif

I strongly disliked the idea of the Dressed to the Nines trophy. The fact it required like, three or four different playthroughs, what a turn off. I know chapter select made it better, but I couldn’t bother myself with following a guide close enough to get it. That kept me from getting the plat.

I did just about everything else. Every single sidequest, every VR battle, etc. I loved that game.

I also really don’t like how FF games seem to require a second, hard mode playthrough for the plat. I prefer it if games make every trophy available in one playthrough.
100%. I might make a small exception for games that have wildly different endings that branch earlier (like Sekiro’s Shura ending) but in general I don’t think most platinums should require more than one playthrough. NG+ is a cool feature for people who like that kind of thing but it should be totally optional (of course you could argue that the Plat is obviously optional as well but you get what I mean)

Looks like I’m getting 3-4’ of snow out of this storm. Great for work at least. Thankfully I have Sunday the main day off. Good day for gaming, anime and warm snacjs

tenor.gif

Damn right, anime be plumbing the depths of madness

I STRIKE ABYSS IN THE NAME OF TWO
you didn’t even mention a faction in your post!!

(unless the joke is too clever for my night brain)

i’m still giving you the points but still

edit: I’m very sleepy and at second glance I can understand how one might automatically correlate madness with the abyss

double-edit: yeah lmao disregard me completely here. thank you!

Last edited:
edit: I’m very sleepy and at second glance I can understand how one might automatically correlate madness with the abyss
Yeah that's how I interpreted it

Not that I should be helping TWO, but in the spirit of the community, ya know

I also correlated depths with the abyss! Please stay tuned for when I start making references to deep-sea creatures!

(Also please go to sleep lol)

I stopped playing Persona 3 Reload several hours ago to get some things done and be a bit productive. My brain roughly every 10 seconds ever since:

BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY 🎶

I stopped playing Persona 3 Reload several hours ago to get some things done and be a bit productive. My brain roughly every 10 seconds ever since:

BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY 🎶
For me it's been:

🎶 DISTURBING THE PEACE
LOOK INTO MY EYES🎶

For me it's been:

🎶 DISTURBING THE PEACE
LOOK INTO MY EYES🎶
That's the other battle theme, right? It's still pretty good, but something about Mass Destruction just hits me way more. To the point that I'm not even trying to get as many back attacks so I can still hear it sometimes :p

That's the other battle theme, right? It's still pretty good, but something about Mass Destruction just hits me way more. To the point that I'm not even trying to get as many back attacks so I can still hear it sometimes :p
Yeah, that's from It's Going Down Now. Mass Destruction is fantastic, don't get me wrong, but I've gotten so good at ambushes I mostly hear IGDN so it's ingrained in me.

it’s taken me some time to get to this point (too much starting and stopping) but getting the POV chapters of the other roci crew members in nemesis games, is actually so cool

but you could make so many shitposts! strike so many factions! leave a trail of weird blood!
…aaaaand I passed out. Maybe tonight, Sus. Maybe tonight.
did you put it in the sauce?
Like pizza sauce? I do not put pizza sauce in my mixed beverages.
Wait where was I when this happened?!

We do know Nintendo tries to do both, precisely because the expertise of fans plus outside influences can result in a more widely appealing creation
I don’t know! I’m not shameless enough to link my own post.

Ratio is very important for cocktails and proper dilution. I usually do 1.5 ounce base spirit, 3/4 citrus, 3/4 liqueur, and 1/2 to 1/4 sweetener. In the margarita case though I would bump up my tequila to 2 ounce. Usually the 1 part base, half parts citrus and liqueur, and 1/6 part sugar is good for cocktails because the liqueur usually adds sweetness. Also need to shake the shit out of it with ice. Usually one big rock with some pieces chipped off. This doesn’t over dilute but also allows aeration to give the margarita a better texture. I also serve on a huge square of ice so it can dilute over time with that extra spirit.
Despite teaching math and enjoying a good ratio, I just dump each item in based on the day. Yesterday called for a little more, but I think I basically filled half of my tiny glass with tequila. It was reaaaaaally good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom