• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST29 Feb. 2024| Two Handhelds, Both Alike In Dignity

What Is Your Burning Desire? — Read the ST First

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
RL8MElM.jpeg

Am I the only one that, instead of putting a song on repeat, I put it to start again before the next one hits?
I rarely listen to songs on repeat because I'm the type who, if I hear a song too much in a short window, it's stuck in my head and it makes it hard to fall asleep later.

The story begins
With who's gonna win
You know when the danger lies within
Aboard the ARK, a genius at heart.
Wanting to unlock the mysteries of life.

I am the EGGMAN! That's what I am!
I am the EGGMAN! I got the master plan!
I am the EGGMAN! That's what I am!
I am the EGGMAN! With the master plan!

I'm in kind of a shitty mood, right now. Nothing happened at work, it's just little irritations from before and after, plus a bout of depression that I haven't experienced since highschool. I think I know why that's the case and that, in and of itself, is frustrating. Especially considering what month it is. I'm gonna detox by playing some Persona, then workout, then some more Persona. Then it's study time tomorrow and all next week! (Provided I'm not tempted to play more Persona.....)

Last edited:
your reaction: Sonic Heroes HD based off the old PC port
BIND YOU, CONFINE YOU
DEFYING YOUR REIGN

I'm in kind of a shitty mood, right now. Nothing happened at work, it's just little irritations from before and after, plus a bout of depression that I haven't experienced since highschool I think I know why that's the case and that, in and of itself, is frustrating. Especially considering what month it is. I'm gonna detox by playing some Persona, then workout, then some more Persona. Then it's study time tomorrow and all next week! (Provided I'm not tempted to play more Persona.....)
Hope you’ve been managing!

Hoolopee who does a bunch of "PS1 demake" videos make his own little short story in the style, it's pretty fun!

look this is what I’ve been fucking saying

stop making games to just be like games! shit needs to come from a lot of sources to be good, and interesting perspectives must breathe the world

…see, I say it, and I believe it, but there has to be an asterisk here for the glory of @Dopply and the absolute flex that is Arzette: The Jewel of Faramore
I actually very much agree with this take! I'm an avid reader of science fiction and fantasy, as well as a certified Film Enjoyer, and I'd say from a writing perspective Arzette draws from a lot, including a myriad of different media. There is a lot of Zelda CD-i of course, but Arzette is ultimately a new game with new ideas.

From a gameplay perspective, the game is Zelda CD-i But Good, which if taken to its logical conclusion is basically a Weirdo Monster World, but is also an amalgamation of games I enjoy.

Y'all please take the time to watch this brief animated short. I would watch the hell out of a slice of life show like this of people sharing the love of their super powered pets. So many brief little scenes of interactions and experiences that are still so familiar

I strike TWO in the name of LOVE(? Am I doing it right?)

Y'all please take the time to watch this brief animated short. I would watch the hell out of a slice of life show like this of people sharing the love of their super powered pets. So many brief little scenes of interactions and experiences that are still so familiar

Really like this animation and its depiction of Chinese customs (but with Pokemon)

The Dad scene is actually made into official merch for China

Seems like there are actual Pokemon lunar new year celebrations in Shanghai too!

You struck my House but you get a Yeah for that awesome video

I sat down to read a nice BOOK tonight. Coffee by the fire, nice snowy view out the window, etc. I was having a lovely time.

But then...

Something seemed... wrong. I couldn't put my finger on it. A trick of the light here, a twist of a shadows there - and the raised hair on the back of my neck wouldn't let me leave things be.

So I threw on my bathrobe and began to roam the house. I peeked in corners, opened drawers, threw open the curtains... but there was nothing. All I had was a deeply unnerving sense of dread, like a creeping madness eating at my very being.

Wait. Oh no. IT was here. Behind me. right now

I spun around in a rush and saw it, and performed the banishment as best as my trembling voice would let me:

"I strike thee, ABYSS, in the name of BOOKS!"

I actually very much agree with this take! I'm an avid reader of science fiction and fantasy, as well as a certified Film Enjoyer, and I'd say from a writing perspective Arzette draws from a lot, including a myriad of different media. There is a lot of Zelda CD-i of course, but Arzette is ultimately a new game with new ideas.

From a gameplay perspective, the game is Zelda CD-i But Good, which if taken to its logical conclusion is basically a Weirdo Monster World, but is also an amalgamation of games I enjoy.
that’s great to hear — very excited to play it soon!

That’s not dissimilar to my approach with Grögol Bonanza. Though instead of “but good,” the initial idea was literally “but worse”

…the unofficial predecessor was in fact an unintelligible card game I cooked up called Uno But Worse…

all kind of a riff on when people were frustrated about Pokémon Sword & Shield

there were a lot of different opinions on what it should have looked like — so my first thought was to make the “monkey’s paw” versions of the most passionate takes

You can have an open world… if it’s Game-Boy-esque flat in simple colors!

You can have a ton of creatures… but only if they’re delightfully shitty pen drawings I can whip up in 15 minutes!

You can have more interactive combat… if it’s abstracted completely!

You can have a ton of boss fights… but a bunch of them have weird twists!

You can have a long postgame… if it’s something between SotN’s second half and GS’s postgame!

and it turns out those gag conditions were exactly what I needed to get out of my own head with game design.

gave me an achievable goal, one I could stop overthinking, one that was enough of a joke that I could put my whole heart and soul in to catch people off guard.

but — thing is — I’ve spent most of my life not playing games.

I had an affinity for some in childhood! always a passing interest. and I wanted to make games at a very early age.

but it’s come back around now so informed by my other interests and experiences — basement shows, being in nature, railing against rough shit, always being the outsider, etc. — that it’s feeling alive in a way that fills me with joy.

I hope it all comes through once I’ve built the whole thing. I think it will. I’m just so glad I finally went for it!

if you’re reading this, and have wanted to make a game, but have always stopped yourself — just go for it! you can learn how! it’s worth it!

release your inhibitions

feel the rain on your skin
no one else can feel it for you
only you can let it in
no one else, no one else
can speak the words on your lips

release your inhibitions

only you can let it in
no one else, no one else
drench yourself in words unspoken
live your life with arms wide open
today is where your BOOK is STRIKEn
in the name of LOVE..en

two, two, two…

things are really getting out of hand for you now, aren’t they?

moving the score tally to tomorrow (first ten pages) because I’m sleepy

can you believe how many people on famiboards play games read books?! grotesque

Man I can't believe it's been almost 10 years since a new donkey kong game got released
Tropical freeze was one of the best game I played
Hopefully Nintendo will not abandon the series

It's s been so entertaining reading die hard xbox owners having a meltdown with the xbox going multiplatform rumours.

It would have been the same reactions when sega went multiplatform after leaving the hardware bussiness.

Switch is the only console I ever played over the span of 7 years straight - from day 1 to the very late stages if it's lifespan. That's really insane to me.
Switch 2 is anticipated and all, but man it feels good to still enjoy a system I bought 7 years ago and having tons of games left to play.

Man I can't believe it's been almost 10 years since a new donkey kong game got released
Tropical freeze was one of the best game I played
Hopefully Nintendo will not abandon the series
30 years since DKC1 this year… this is the year, surely… that it’s on like donkey kong

🫠

This is the best thread specific event I’ve seen yet have no clue how it works
The core gameplay is pretty simple! Simply compose a cool post referencing any of the four factions, then plop an ACTION KEYPHRASE at the end. After that, enjoy the carnage!

Aside from that, you can also pull off GAMBITS to significantly change up the battlefield. Random events called MANIFESTATIONS can also occur!

As a member of House TWO, you can cleave apart the other factions and watch as the trickling blood stains the pages of BOOKS, gushes out of the hearts of LOVE, or fills up the ABYSS.

(It feels like I'm speaking Homestuck language in this post and that's incredible)

(Oh and I STRIKE LOVE IN THE NAME OF TWO)

(SCREW LOVE)

that’s great to hear — very excited to play it soon!

That’s not dissimilar to my approach with Grögol Bonanza. Though instead of “but good,” the initial idea was literally “but worse”

…the unofficial predecessor was in fact an unintelligible card game I cooked up called Uno But Worse…

all kind of a riff on when people were frustrated about Pokémon Sword & Shield

there were a lot of different opinions on what it should have looked like — so my first thought was to make the “monkey’s paw” versions of the most passionate takes

You can have an open world… if it’s Game-Boy-esque flat in simple colors!

You can have a ton of creatures… but only if they’re delightfully shitty pen drawings I can whip up in 15 minutes!

You can have more interactive combat… if it’s abstracted completely!

You can have a ton of boss fights… but a bunch of them have weird twists!

You can have a long postgame… if it’s something between SotN’s second half and GS’s postgame!

and it turns out those gag conditions were exactly what I needed to get out of my own head with game design.

gave me an achievable goal, one I could stop overthinking, one that was enough of a joke that I could put my whole heart and soul in to catch people off guard.

but — thing is — I’ve spent most of my life not playing games.

I had an affinity for some in childhood! always a passing interest. and I wanted to make games at a very early age.

but it’s come back around now so informed by my other interests and experiences — basement shows, being in nature, railing against rough shit, always being the outsider, etc. — that it’s feeling alive in a way that fills me with joy.

I hope it all comes through once I’ve built the whole thing. I think it will. I’m just so glad I finally went for it!

if you’re reading this, and have wanted to make a game, but have always stopped yourself — just go for it! you can learn how! it’s worth it!

release your inhibitions

only you can let it in
no one else, no one else
I've been kind of trying to get started making a game, but I'm a bit stuck at the figuring out what to make step. I've got like half of an idea for something that's pretty loosely inspired by the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games (specifically their sort of odd approach to isekai), but the problem is that what I have is really more world building and some pieces of a story outline than mechanics, and the prospect of actually building it feels kind of overambitious of a first project for someone who is a lot more comfortable working with code than words or pictures.

I've been trying to come up with some more reasonably scoped project ideas that I could use to build up the skills to really do the idea justice (or at least establish my game dev skills enough that I'd be comfortable involving other people), but I just haven't been able to find one that I'm passionate enough about to motivate myself to actually build it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom