• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST29 Feb. 2024| Two Handhelds, Both Alike In Dignity

What Is Your Burning Desire? — Read the ST First

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
omg SO much better

you're right that the first one was missing pizzazz, the director and writers have been interviewed about it in the years since and they said their first drafts/pitch were much closer to the games, with Tails, Chaos Emeralds, the works, but the studio kept whittling the actual Sonic elements out because they assumed audiences wouldn't get any of it. So then after the outrage of the first trailer (you know the one) had them go back to the drawing board they actually took time to not only fix Sonic's design but to add other elements as well (the echidnas who attacked him in the beginning were initially generic lizard people and his home island didn't look like Green Hill Zone) because they were sorta taken aback that there was this huge contingent of Sonic fans actually wanting this to be Sonicy. The studio figured they were basically buying into an IP where parents would take their kids and they had no idea what the fandom was.

So after that movie succeeded they basically let the director and writers (the director actually got his start doing cinematic scenes in Sonic games and the writers (and some of the cast even) are big fans, so they're legit) make the movie they wanted to make all along, and that was Sonic 2. It still has some of the cheesy family movie elements and the human characters (though some like Agent Stone have actually gained big fanbases in the fandom so it works) but they dial the Sonicness way, way up and have several locations and setpieces that come straight out of the games and they fixed Robotnik's look and Tails flies a red biplane and and and

yeah it's so good dude, watch it
Good enough for me! StH2 is leaving Canadian Netflix on Feb 23rd so I guess I know what I'm watching in the near future!

e: oh my god Sonic X is on Netflix and no one told me

Just alerting the community to the fact I ordered Subway for lunch.
tenor.gif
tenor.gif

Wow, we sure MANIFESTED this announcement into being!

Since this is the third movie in a trilogy and focuses heavily on rivals…

All STRIKES against your RIVAL Factions are worth 3x instead of 2x for the whole day — including ones made since the announcement!
a chance for me to restore honor after my failed gambit!

I know I've already used this meme a bunch in the past couple weeks but damned if I don't love a good callback:

00g4XD2.jpeg

I strike TWO in the name of LOVE!

Lotsa catching up to do, wow

the 877 CASH NOW has been in my head because of my recent stumble across this:

OMG IT'S SPREADING???

It's literally the Sonic Adventure 2 logo.
AND THAT MUSIC IS LIVE AND LEARN FROM SA2
yall I am doing such big happ right now
vs40vud7hf741.jpg

godDAMMIT now I want this to happen so bad

For those among us who are not in the know, the Dreamcast was like the peak era of "ridiculous but taking themselves totally seriously" Sonic and it gave us bangers like this:

very very very yes

Leaning into his backstory with Gerald and Maria Robotnik would be a very different path I think. Especially if they go to space.

omg SO much better

you're right that the first one was missing pizzazz, the director and writers have been interviewed about it in the years since and they said their first drafts/pitch were much closer to the games, with Tails, Chaos Emeralds, the works, but the studio kept whittling the actual Sonic elements out because they assumed audiences wouldn't get any of it. So then after the outrage of the first trailer (you know the one) had them go back to the drawing board they actually took time to not only fix Sonic's design but to add other elements as well (the echidnas who attacked him in the beginning were initially generic lizard people and his home island didn't look like Green Hill Zone) because they were sorta taken aback that there was this huge contingent of Sonic fans actually wanting this to be Sonicy. The studio figured they were basically buying into an IP where parents would take their kids and they had no idea what the fandom was. But the director actually got his start doing cinematic scenes in Sonic games and the writers (and some of the cast even) are big fans, so they knew.

So after that movie succeeded they basically let the director and writers make the movie they wanted to make all along, and that was Sonic 2. It still has some of the cheesy family movie elements and the human characters (though some like Agent Stone have actually gained big fanbases in the fandom so it works) but they dial the Sonicness way, way up and have several locations and setpieces that come straight out of the games and they fixed Robotnik's look and Tails flies a red biplane and and and

yes 👆 to 👆 all 👆 this 👆

I just spent like 15 minutes trying to find the Ghostbusters “Who ya gonna call?” 877-cash-now mashup and it seems to no longer exist? You have failed me, internet

Lotsa catching up to do, wow

the 877 CASH NOW has been in my head because of my recent stumble across this:

OMG IT'S SPREADING???

It's literally the Sonic Adventure 2 logo.
AND THAT MUSIC IS LIVE AND LEARN FROM SA2
yall I am doing such big happ right now
vs40vud7hf741.jpg

godDAMMIT now I want this to happen so bad

For those among us who are not in the know, the Dreamcast was like the peak era of "ridiculous but taking themselves totally seriously" Sonic and it gave us bangers like this:

very very very yes

Leaning into his backstory with Gerald and Maria Robotnik would be a very different path I think. Especially if they go to space.

omg SO much better

you're right that the first one was missing pizzazz, the director and writers have been interviewed about it in the years since and they said their first drafts/pitch were much closer to the games, with Tails, Chaos Emeralds, the works, but the studio kept whittling the actual Sonic elements out because they assumed audiences wouldn't get any of it. So then after the outrage of the first trailer (you know the one) had them go back to the drawing board they actually took time to not only fix Sonic's design but to add other elements as well (the echidnas who attacked him in the beginning were initially generic lizard people and his home island didn't look like Green Hill Zone) because they were sorta taken aback that there was this huge contingent of Sonic fans actually wanting this to be Sonicy. The studio figured they were basically buying into an IP where parents would take their kids and they had no idea what the fandom was. But the director actually got his start doing cinematic scenes in Sonic games and the writers (and some of the cast even) are big fans, so they knew.

So after that movie succeeded they basically let the director and writers make the movie they wanted to make all along, and that was Sonic 2. It still has some of the cheesy family movie elements and the human characters (though some like Agent Stone have actually gained big fanbases in the fandom so it works) but they dial the Sonicness way, way up and have several locations and setpieces that come straight out of the games and they fixed Robotnik's look and Tails flies a red biplane and and and

yes 👆 to 👆 all 👆 this 👆

To be fair, considering they got more leeway in the second movie and it was considered a major improvement, hopefully they get even more freedom to reign in the human element even more this time

We already have a book thread.

it’s important to know when books aren’t books

This used to be me.

I miss that old me.
Mr_Old_U

To be fair, considering they got more leeway in the second movie and it was considered a major improvement, hopefully they get even more freedom to reign in the human element even more this time
I'm actually kinda okay with the human element (I agree the wedding scene in 2 went on to long but I like the characters and actors), especially Stone, but even so with the recent cast announcement and a comment by the writers there's now rumors swirling that Amy and Rouge are coming into the fold, so I expect the anthro cast is gonna get to be so big that they might almost push the humans out? Sorta like what happened with S2 focusing way more on Sonic and Tails while sidelining everyone else.

Just so yall're aware, when Jim Carrey said he was retiring he was asked if he'd ever come back for a movie here and there or if he was completely done and he said:

"It depends. If the angels bring some sort of script that’s written in gold ink that says to me that it’s going to be really important for people to see, I might continue down the road."

And Jim Carrey was just confirmed to return for Sonic the Hedgehog 3. 😎

Just so yall're aware, when Jim Carrey said he was retiring he was asked if he'd ever come back for a movie here and there or if he was completely done and he said:

Maria brought him the script 🫢

Whole bunch of other cool cast members were announced today as well.

After playing the demo, I’m skipping Mario vs Donkey Kong at full price. The only announced Nintendo game I’m getting as of now is the Peach game so it’s definitely gonna be a backlog kind of year for me, at least in the first half.

I'm actually kinda okay with the human element (I agree the wedding scene in 2 went on to long but I like the characters and actors), especially Stone, but even so with the recent cast announcement and a comment by the writers there's now rumors swirling that Amy and Rouge are coming into the fold, so I expect the anthro cast is gonna get to be so big that they might almost push the humans out? Sorta like what happened with S2 focusing way more on Sonic and Tails while sidelining everyone else.
The ideal would be that while the various mascots are who we're here for, the side/human characters just do more to serve a role that helps enrich the setting and grow the 'verse.

Like, I'll admit that I was left scratching my head over the idea that Knuckles' upcoming mini involves yet another "road trip" where he's taken on an "understudy" in the form of Wade of all people. But if it ends up serving my desire to give Knuckles his own agency and supports outside of just being attached at Sonic's hip, so much the better!

I'd expect similar if Shadow inevitably gets a miniseries of his own in the near future. Maybe he sticks with Jojo's family, so that he can have a new little girl to look after, while also helping Shemar Moore's character clean up GUN?

Just started my pre-Rebirth replay of FFVII Remake and, damn, it was so liberating to look at the 20 trophies I'd yet to get - including hard mode - and just go "Nope. Not gonna bother getting those and just enjoy the replay on Normal." Trophies are fun to get sometimes but others they do definitely hinder your potential enjoyment of a game.
I actually found Hard mode fun because you get actual rewards for it.

Plus, really test your skills. However, because I find the game structure to be awful for replays, it was a slog at times to get to the fun stuff.

Tho once you get a good idea of the challenges that are in hard mode. There’s definitely a few bosses you’ll just dread to re-fight. And then find “yeah, I knew this hard mode fight would suck” lol

Anyways. Yeah. I’m looking forward to Rebirth 😐

RIP

Man, this one sucks. RIP Carl, aka Lightman

If you haven't yet played The Artful Escape, please do so for his performance as groovy prog rock spacefarer Lightman. 50% off on eShop right now until Feb 8, with a solid 80 on MC

Plus, really test your skills. However, because I find the game structure to be awful for replays, it was a slog at times to get to the fun stuff.

Tho once you get a good idea of the challenges that are in hard mode. There’s definitely a few bosses you’ll just dread to re-fight. And then find “yeah, I knew this hard mode fight would suck” lol

Rufus was a bloody nightmare

True, I can see how hard mode would be fun… but I also want to get this done before Rebirth comes out lol. Mainly as a refresher on the story & gameplay, and a prelude to my first play through Intermission. Should’ve probably thought about doing a Platinum replay back and Intergrade first came out.

Think I’ll be going for the Plat with Rebirth. With the talk of no missable quests or anything, and Remake’s implementation of a chapter select, I can’t imagine it’d be too bad.

I strongly disliked the idea of the Dressed to the Nines trophy. The fact it required like, three or four different playthroughs, what a turn off. I know chapter select made it better, but I couldn’t bother myself with following a guide close enough to get it. That kept me from getting the plat.

I did just about everything else. Every single sidequest, every VR battle, etc. I loved that game.

I also really don’t like how FF games seem to require a second, hard mode playthrough for the plat. I prefer it if games make every trophy available in one playthrough.

At least vote for a team!

better be House Two
hey now, don’t make her pick a team she doesn’t want!

but if I had to give a recommendation, LOVE’s a good choice

QcQjGPg_d.webp

O mythical steed, what do you wish to convey with your words of fire? The heat of passionate Love? The light of knowledge found in Books? The rejection of the darkness of the Abyss?

I hold its horn of magic and miracles, and implore its aid.

I STRIKE LOVE IN THE NAME OF TWO
you DARE use my own horsepost AGAINST me?!

ohhhhhh you’re in trouble now

i’m really scared for the late-game twist where sanswave reveals what horrible things all these faction names were secretly acronyms for the whole time

final_hallway___undertale_by_retr8bit_d9vl7pt-fullview.jpg

so I’m hesitant to stand up for LOVE too strongly, but if i may…

i strike TWO with the power of LOVE

O mythical steed, what do you wish to convey with your words of fire? The heat of passionate Love? The light of knowledge found in Books? The rejection of the darkness of the Abyss?

I hold its horn of magic and miracles, and implore its aid.

I STRIKE LOVE IN THE NAME OF TWO
you DARE use my own horsepost AGAINST me?!

ohhhhhh you’re in trouble now

@meatbag order up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom