• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Chonky revision.

It's worth stressing quickly that, of all the companies that exist in the industry, I actually trust Nintendo the most to actually redefine a game playing experience with the hardware provided. We literally just saw this with Tears of the Kingdom. While companies like Rockstar and Sony are pushing the boat out for graphical and cinematic work, Nintendo literally just made one of the best physics engines ever on hardware that was 8 years old... and was tuned to rival Xbox 360/PS3 hardware.

I do think stuff like scrolling shoulder buttons would be a cool option, but there's also some fundamental stuff that Nintendo oddly hasn't added to the Switch designs. I think adding analogue triggers would probably be a more important inclusion than scrolling, even if it's conceptually cool.
Generally agree, but the Shigeru Miyamoto quote was about “gameplay not possible on prior hardware“. Of course they‘ll always create new and impressive gameplay regardless of the used hardware, but hardware innovation is also very important for Nintendo. There surely are some gimmicks I‘d like, but I think nobody of us can predict what they‘ll come up with, the only thing I can say that it‘ll be fantastic.

Last edited:
Everyone has pretty much guessed the performance on the hardware, but does anyone want to know a little bit about the new hardware gameplay?like the new controller, which I'm very interested in.
Very possible for all of those guesses to be wrong. ALL!

Tears of the Kingdom provided experiences that couldn't have been on done on Wii, but it wasn't a matter of user interface.
Sure, but in the context of the quote (backwards compatibility and development environments becoming more integrated) I don’t think he was referring to power. They also innovated in the past up to Switch with new hardware, and until the patterns change nobody can convince me that they won’t innovate.

There will be innovations yeah but from what we know it's a revision, it's likely going to be a similar form factor, I don't expect things like scroll wheel buttons this upcoming generation.
We don't really know much about that at all. I will never expect scroll wheels but it's not like Lenovo's Switch-alike doesn't have them while being a similar form factor.

We don't really know much about that at all. I will never expect scroll wheels but it's not like Lenovo's Switch-alike doesn't have them while being a similar form factor.
I just don't expect a wii to wii u level change is all I meant to say. I guess it does nothing to further the conversation by saying that, my fault really : p

qZeaFuC.png

- I have to tell things 😁

- Be responsible 😒

- I have to explain things 🤭

- Don't rush 😑

- Next week 😏

- Then don't say anything before 🤨

- It's just that it's about Switch 2 🤗

- 🤗 shhhh🤫

- 😶
I guess we will finally see if he is credible at all next week...

I mean @necrolipe seems to think he has some credibility, hopefully next week will be fun.
To be fair, I think necrolipe only said that he can attest to nashweedle's tweet (the other tweet about how Switch 2 devkit is taking it one step further, which is too vague to be verifiable). He didn't explicitly say that nashweedle is credible.

To be fair, I think necrolipe only said that he can attest to nashweedle's tweet. He didn't explicitly say that nashweedle is credible.
Nashweedles tweet was so vague. it can mean absolutely everything. "one step further" means nothing, when you don't know what the previous step was.

I could see Necro having interpreted the tweet as something other than what Nash meant. That is, if Nash didn't make it up.

Nashweedles tweet was so vague. it can mean absolutely everything. "one step further" means nothing, when you don't know what the previous step was.

I could see Necro having interpreted the tweet as something other than what Nash meant. That is, if Nash didn't make it up.
Yeah we're on the same page. Saying Switch 2 devkit takes things one step further is useless word salad, it's not remotely verifiable.

qZeaFuC.png

I guess we will finally see if he is credible at all next week...
Annoyingly cryptic tweet, but i understand that he's giving a bit of space to breathe after GDC considering Nintendo's eyes are likely everywhere.

Anyway, probably going to be a specs leak or something of that ilk.

Re: controller innovations, this is from 2019:

Miyamoto said:
We are always dreaming up new things. For example, for 1-2-Switch, the first game released for Nintendo Switch, we suggested that people play by looking at each other and not at the screen. And for VR, we thought about how we could change not just the controller but also the gameplay itself, and came up with the Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit. The software exhibited at this year's E3 just happened to be mostly the type that is played with controller in hand, looking at the screen. However, I think you can see from the software we've created that we are always trying out new ideas.

Miyamoto said:
I also believe that we should quickly graduate from the current controller, and we are attempting all kinds of things. Our objective is to achieve an interface that surpasses the current controller, where what the player does is directly reflected on the screen, and the user can clearly feel the result. This has not been achieved yet. We have tried all kinds of motion controllers, but none seem to work for all people. As the company that knows the most about controllers, we have been striving to create a controller that can be used with ease, and that will become the standard for the next generation.

Ko Shiota said:
We have not yet invented an all-purpose controller that is unlike any of the current devices.

Annoyingly cryptic tweet, but i understand that he's giving a bit of space to breathe after GDC considering Nintendo's eyes are likely everywhere.

Anyway, probably going to be a specs leak or something of that ilk.
I mean Nate was also hinted at some news. Like he could have mentioned what the news was in way that was understandable, like ,,we’ll hear some positive news, based on hardware’’,
but instead decided to give us a pretty stressful hint.
Also most of these leakers who are telling the insider stuff, are people who are under NDA. So we’ll see if Nash got some credibility next week.

So, possible, but dependent on corporate decision making?

That's just the case with EVERY game.

I had a long post written up to a response earlier in the thread that amounted to: Assuming modern generation games can actually be ported, GTAVI on Switch 2 doesn’t seem unreasonable?

With GTAVI supposedly having an unprecedented ($2B) budget, and likely being positioned as their money maker for the next decade, it doesn’t feel like it makes sense to be fussy about platforms. If the hardware can provide a competent experience, it goes there. I’m projecting some major ambitions for the game, but they don’t seem unfounded given what GTA Online was for R* / Take-Two.

Initial release - Xbox and PS5. Following that? PC, and hopefully scaling enough to accommodate Switch 2.

I honestly do think that Nashweedle may some contacts that work for Mercury Steam: he is a Spaniard, Mercury Steam is a Spanish company and he knew about Metroid Dread, so he possibly knows a dev or two. The problem with Nash is that he tries to seem like an all-knowing leaker when he definitely isn't one.

As a rule of thumb for Nash, I'd say that if what he says could realistically be info available for a Mercury Steam worker, then you can take him kind of seriously; anything else is almost 100 % fake. Of course, this is assuming that he hasn't lost his source ever since Metroid Dread came out, lmao.

I mean Nate was also hinted at some news. Like he could have mentioned what the news was in way that was understandable, like ,,we’ll hear some positive news, based on hardware’’,
but instead decided to give us a pretty stressful hint.
Also most of these leakers who are telling the insider stuff, are people who are under NDA. So we’ll see if Nash got some credibility next week.

Personally? Nash has been dropping bogus leaks for a while. Saying something will happen after GDC is hedging.

Any one of us could see GDC, recognize that it’s a safe bet to say “we’ll hear something about Switch 2 wink wink” given we are supposedly 12 months out from launch. Best case a major news outlet reports on the goods and you RT + eyes emoji. Worst case nothing happens and you pull back, tell everybody “my sources asked that I not share these details yet.”

Edit: If Nash is first on the scene with news and it’s corroborated shortly after by others - or better yet actually materializes, like Pyoro leaks - then I’ll listen. They’re just noise until then.

Last edited:
I had a long post written up to a response earlier in the thread that amounted to: Assuming modern generation games can actually be ported, GTAVI on Switch 2 doesn’t seem unreasonable?

With GTAVI supposedly having an unprecedented ($2B) budget, and likely being positioned as their money maker for the next decade, it doesn’t feel like it makes sense to be fussy about platforms. If the hardware can provide a competent experience, it goes there. I’m projecting some major ambitions for the game, but they don’t seem unfounded given what GTA Online was for R* / Take-Two.

Initial release - Xbox and PS5. Following that? PC, and hopefully scaling enough to accommodate Switch 2.
If it's coming, I'd expect it to be at initial release. Rockstar and Nintendo have a fairly warm relationship, it would seem, and there's no reason they couldn't already have development kits. While porting takes time, it can also happen concurrently with development, so I don't see it as an outside possibility. Plus if Nintendo wants their next console to continue to be seen as a home console on the go, it's in their interests to persue Rockstar.

Given what we know about T239, it seems unlikely that it COULDN'T manage Gen 9 ports better than Switch handles Gen 8 ports, and Switch has gotten plenty of those.

At present I have little reason to doubt GTA VI will come to NG Switch, but that goes for all sorts of third party franchises. Call of Duty, of all things, has a ball and chain with "Nintendo" embossed on it, and assuming that agreement was done with some level of knowledge of the next system's power, I think that's probably more towards the side of "Microsoft seems convinced that cross platform development on Nintendo's next system is viable." than anything.

If it's coming, I'd expect it to be at initial release. Rockstar and Nintendo have a fairly warm relationship, it would seem, and there's no reason they couldn't already have development kits. While porting takes time, it can also happen concurrently with development, so I don't see it as an outside possibility. Plus if Nintendo wants their next console to continue to be seen as a home console on the go, it's in their interests to persue Rockstar.

Given what we know about T239, it seems unlikely that it COULDN'T manage Gen 9 ports better than Switch handles Gen 8 ports, and Switch has gotten plenty of those.

At present I have little reason to doubt GTA VI will come to NG Switch, but that goes for all sorts of third party franchises. Call of Duty, of all things, has a ball and chain with "Nintendo" embossed on it, and assuming that agreement was done with some level of knowledge of the next system's power, I think that's probably more towards the side of "Microsoft seems convinced that cross platform development on Nintendo's next system is viable." than anything.

If that happens, great! I’d love to see it, but I’m just decidedly less confident that’ll happen.

It’s clearly already a monumental task to get it ready on Xbox and PS5. They’ve excluded PC for reasons at this stage, but we know that market is going to be incredibly important for the game’s long term success. Switch 2 support coming later might just be a similar decision. They can focus on releasing what’s likely been the scope for ages, and then work out the kinks as they move onto other platforms.

Don't know if people buy games on Xbox (other than Call of Duty, Madden, 2K, and EA FC) with Game Pass existing.
Man, it is a hard no for me. If you are multiplatform. You are more likely to buy on your PS5 than Xbox. Of course you can buy games on Xbox, but they push Gamepass so much, you have less of an Incentive to do so.

I’ve bought quite a few games on Xbox since I got my Series X in late 2021. My two most recent purchases are Forza Motorsport and WWE 2K24.
I have an Xbox and won’t hesitate to buy games that I want when they aren’t on Game Pass. It replaced my PS4 Pro this generation and honestly I’m buying a similar amount of titles, but playing more games overall. Game Pass obviously means I don’t buy Xbox first party, but that’s a given. Its real value is trying games that I’d never have considered before.

It’s a frustrating narrative that Game Pass is the reason one might not buy games on Xbox. It’s literally impossible to know what the platform software sales would be like in the situation where Series X was outselling PS5 worldwide. But if you own both consoles and you are buying games on PS5 and not Xbox as the poster above presented, you either 1. Like the PS5 hardware (eg. DualSense) more, or 2. Already have a library built up there.

The first is a very real possibility for me but only with something like Switch 2 or a great Windows Handheld. If Switch 2 is competent hardware and games look good on my TV, my Xbox purchases may drop to zero. The second of these was already happening before Game Pass, and is one of the reasons why Microsoft said they lost the biggest console generation there was to lose.

Last edited:
Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom