• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

uqx3dKh.png

I have become the devil. my first devily deed? cancel Drake

200w.gif

You'd be doing this thread a favor if you did.

It's not looking for the Series S here and it's getting a little sweatier for the Switch 2 potentially.

image.png

(Open world horror has a ton of potential, but without a hunger system or other survival elements, it's not nearly as interesting)
"open world" can mean anything and everything. Technically Rebirth is an "open world" but the reality is that it's more of an "open zones" type of game. I generally don't think whether the next MH will be open world or not is a factor to be considered in the feasibility of a possible port to Switch 2. I'm not holding my breath for Wild to be on Retracted, but considering the sales of PS5 games in Japan, I bet that Capcom is at least thinking of how to put the game on Switch 2.

"open world" can mean anything and everything. Technically Rebirth is an "open world" but the reality is that it's more of an "open zones" type of game. I generally don't think whether the next MH will be open world or not is a factor to be considered in the feasibility of a possible port to Switch 2. I'm not holding my breath for Wild to be on Retracted, but considering the sales of PS5 games in Japan, I bet that Capcom is at least thinking of how to put the game on Switch 2.
Technically Rebirth is NOT an "open world".
These words are too often used inappropriately.
OW examples: Zelda BotW and TotK, Xenoblade X, RDR 1 and 2, Horizon 1 and 2... Games where you can move from anywhere in the world to anywhere without loading.

Rebirth, Xeno C trilogy, etc. are not open worlds... They simply have very large single maps.

Technically Rebirth is NOT an "open world".
These words are too often used inappropriately.
OW examples: Zelda BotW and TotK, Xenoblade X, RDR 1 and 2, Horizon 1 and 2... Games where you can move from anywhere in the world to anywhere without loading.

Rebirth, Xeno C trilogy, etc. are not open worlds... They simply have very large single maps.
I agree with you, just said « technically » because saying Rebirth is open world has been a big talking point from both SE and the media. My point was just that Capcom calling MH an « open world » wouldn’t necessarily mean that the game is a « true » open world.

I'm finally taking my stance and I'll eat crow if I have to. The Switch 2 as we have all been speculating or expecting isn't real. Its taking long because Nintendo is panicking and weren't sure exactly what to do for this next gen. Handheld tech hasn't made enough of a meaningful leap at reasonable prices for them to be comfortable with their next system simply being a generational leap with the same concept. They're nervous and keeping it under wraps because it's about to be an "out of left field" system.

I'd imagine their hesitation and panic boils down to two choices.

1. They release a Switch 2 but are worried about backlash over the same concept not being enough of a port leap to hang due to handheld tech limitations.

2. They do something completely different but risk killing the golden goose.

I'm finally taking my stance and I'll eat crow if I have to. The Switch 2 as we have all been speculating or expecting isn't real. Its taking long because Nintendo is panicking and weren't sure exactly what to do for this next gen. Handheld tech hasn't made enough of a meaningful leap at reasonable prices for them to be comfortable with their next system simply being a generational leap with the same concept. They're nervous and keeping it under wraps because it's about to be an "out of left field" system.

1. They release a Switch 2 but are worried about backlash over the same concept not being enough of a port leap to hang due to handheld tech limitations.

I think the reason the switch 2 hasn’t been released right or revealed right now is because of software.

Like all of Nintendo failed consoles can be seen by the lack of first party software. Like the N64-Wii U and 3DS early in its life.

What’ll make or break the switch 2 is if Nintendo relies on third party support, which has ended badly majorities of the time.

I’m quite optimistic of the hardware, I’m just more curious of the software and marketing.

Also I’m team Super Nintendo switch, since it’ll be cool if they market it like the SNES and call it SNS.
And super is the second most simple name scheme, other than the switch 2.

This sounds like pure panic from you. We are 8 years into the switch and you don't think there's a cost effective upgrade in handheld tech? If Valve can make one in their spare time what do you think the company that makes dedicated consoles was doing all this time lol.

They are a business, they don't just spend time worrying and mulling it over, they actually have to work every day to develop and refine technologies. Gears don't just stop turning because of an uneasy transition.

In fact, I'm more interested in the new gameplay than the hardware technology itself, such as whether the new controller will have a completely new design.

I'm not sure how you got to "wii u+ to ps4+ in under 15W isn't a meaningful leap for Nintendo", but damn...

Regarding the Capcom talks, Capcom CEO and President already said in an interview that they view Nintendo/Mobile as different and separated market from PC/PS/Xbox and that Nintendo hardware presents unique challenges and opportunities due to being the undisputed market leader in Japan.

Would Nintendo clock the A78C CPU much higher if the SoC is on 4nm than 8nm?

I’m fine with both 4nm and 8nm being in the same ballpark when it comes to GPU power. But I would love to have a much higher CPU speed if is on a smaller node.

Everyone has pretty much guessed the performance on the hardware, but does anyone want to know a little bit about the new hardware gameplay?like the new controller, which I'm very interested in.
Not particularly, I don't think it'll change that much, they felt that there was a necessity to change with the Wii's motion control in order to evolve gaming, that mostly died out, I can't really think of anymore dynamic things they could do besides adaptive triggers which are just annoying more than anything else.

The only controller aspect I'm excited about are the potential for hall effect sticks and general ergo.

I feel like "PS5/PC/Xbox" as a market can be simplified down to "PS5/PC" for most third-party games at this point. (And honestly, PS5/Steam)

I don't know how many games get sold on Xbox anymore.
Most AAA devs still make games for Xbox. Even if they're in a distant third place, that's still millions of potential customers, and the effort to port a given game even to Series S is much lower than it is on Switch, so if you've taken all of that effort on a PC version that has to work on all manner of hardware specs, then porting it to Xbox is just good business.

I feel like "PS5/PC/Xbox" as a market can be simplified down to "PS5/PC" for most third-party games at this point. (And honestly, PS5/Steam)

I don't know how many games get sold on Xbox anymore.
Xbox is still supported due to high US share, ease of porting due to similar specs and Microsoft deals. But indeed software sales have been disrupted on the Xbox ecosystem ever since GamePass introduction.
Would Nintendo clock the A78C CPU much higher if the SoC is on 4nm than 8nm?
4nm would allow higher clocks at same or lower energy consumption, yes. But because Nintendo power consumption target for the SoC will still be 5W +-, it means one shouldn't expect anything higher than low 2 GHz at most for the CPU, regardless of node.

Not particularly, I don't think it'll change that much, they felt that there was a necessity to change with the Wii's motion control in order to evolve gaming, that mostly died out, I can't really think of anymore dynamic things they could do besides adaptive triggers which are just annoying more than anything else.

The only controller aspect I'm excited about are the potential for hall effect sticks and general ergo.
I still think it's going to change, Shigeru Miyamoto said last time that the new machine is mainly going to be a new way to play, and I'm willing to take his word for it.

I hope Nintendo found a way to make better joycons. I like the concept of splitting my controller, just the ergonomics and design needs serious work.
I find the modularity of the concept very clever, I understand why they did it, I find that when you attach joy-cons on the stand, you get a pretty decent controller, and being able to play with just one joy-con gives you de facto two controllers with the console, which seems family friendly. So, on paper, I applaud it. In reality, once you've had a taste of the pro controller, it becomes very difficult to cope with joy cons in docked mode, for me personally.

The quality of the experience is incomparable with a pro controller, in my opinion, and in a way, joy-cons are, for better or worse depending on our respective tastes, a legacy from the Nintendo Wii. You know, that console for which the perfect Gamecube controller was replaced by an insufferable remote control so that your grandfather could bowl with you without question.

Racoon isn't wrong when he says it's a matter of taste, but it was also a matter of....hand size. Playing multiplayer with a single joy-con each is a clever idea, but a mediocre experience, in my opinion.

For your history of pot stirring and aggression you have been threadbanned for two weeks. - karmitt, xghost777, BassForever
Most AAA devs still make games for Xbox. Even if they're in a distant third place, that's still millions of potential customers, and the effort to port a given game even to Series S is much lower than it is on Switch, so if you've taken all of that effort on a PC version that has to work on all manner of hardware specs, then porting it to Xbox is just good business.

I'm semi-trolling, semi-serious here. I would guess that PS5/Steam make up like 90-95% of the revenue of almost all third-party multiplatform titles that release on PS5/PC/Xbox. Still worth it to release on Xbox, but it's not close to the most important factor. DD2's ratio of sales is probably like 10 Steam sales for every 5 PS5 sales and every 1 Xbox sale.

Don't know if people buy games on Xbox (other than Call of Duty, Madden, 2K, and EA FC) with Game Pass existing.

I still think it's going to change, Shigeru Miyamoto said last time that the new machine is mainly going to be a new way to play, and I'm willing to take his word for it.
New ways to play doesn't really mean anything. Every game they release is a new way to play the switch, it's just marketing until it isn't.

I'm semi-trolling, semi-serious here. I would guess that PS5/Steam make up like 90-95% of the revenue of almost all third-party multiplatform titles that release on PS5/PC/Xbox. Still worth it to release on Xbox, but it's not close to the most important factor. DD2's ratio of sales is probably like 10 Steam sales for every 5 PS5 sales and every 1 Xbox sale.

Don't know if people buy games on Xbox (other than Call of Duty, Madden, 2K, and EA FC) with Game Pass existing.
You're not wrong though. Xbox software buying behavior significantly changed due to GamePass and even Microsoft acknowledged this on the FTC docs (Those who read it know what I'm saying). There's a reason why so many people even ask why does Xbox as hardware still even exists. Specially given that this in this generation, Microsoft has retracted themselves from a lot of markets, even big markets for them like Brazil, and have focused themselves into being mainly a US console.

If the rumors of Xbox doing a portable hardware are true, then it's very exciting for Nintendo owners. Because it means Microsoft will force devs to support another underpowered SKU and thus will mean devs won't have any reason for not support Switch 2, as they will have to create optimized for portable hardware versions of their games and thus most of the work for a Switch 2 version will be already done due to the "Xbox Series P" SKU.

Microsoft and Sony doing a handheld only serves to strengthen Nintendo position in the industry.

New ways to play doesn't really mean anything. Every game they release is a new way to play the switch, it's just marketing until it isn't.
His exact words were:
Having said so, Nintendo's strength is in our creation of new entertainment, so when we release new hardware going forward, we plan to continue to offer new and unique gameplay that cannot be realized on existing hardware.
I‘m sure Nintendo will continue to innovate.

His exact words were:

If the camera rumors are true, AR makes a lot of sense

If the dock is also more of a stand, they could well turn the Switch into a Nintendo smart assistant type terminal as well.

There will be innovations yeah but from what we know it's a revision, it's likely going to be a similar form factor, I don't expect things like scroll wheel buttons this upcoming generation.
Chonky revision.

It's worth stressing quickly that, of all the companies that exist in the industry, I actually trust Nintendo the most to actually redefine a game playing experience with the hardware provided. We literally just saw this with Tears of the Kingdom. While companies like Rockstar and Sony are pushing the boat out for graphical and cinematic work, Nintendo literally just made one of the best physics engines ever on hardware that was 8 years old... and was tuned to rival Xbox 360/PS3 hardware.

I do think stuff like scrolling shoulder buttons would be a cool option, but there's also some fundamental stuff that Nintendo oddly hasn't added to the Switch designs. I think adding analogue triggers would probably be a more important inclusion than scrolling, even if it's conceptually cool.

His exact words were:

Nintendo will always try to innovate and not stay still. Innovating and pathfinding ways outside of the industry convention is why they're still here after the PS/PS2 dark days. I'm sure Switch 2 will try to add something new to the formula so that it doesn't turn stale nor it's easily replicated by others.

Were Nintendo path for Switch 2 just a more powerful iteration of Switch, it would find itself quickly and easily replicated and replaced by others significantly more powerful devices. Innovation and differentiation is key for Switch 2 success. Specially in a more cutthroat market with multiple rivals trying to enter after Nintendo spearheaded the way in 2017.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom