• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

OLED Lite is an interesting concept.

Assuming it's a comprehensive upgrade to the screen and the "feel" of the console it means that price will have to increase compared to the current Switch Lite.

Let's assume it's another 50 dollars increase, and let's assume the Switch Lite will be eventually discontinued.

Essentially for a while Nintendo will have this line up:

Switch Lite 199.99
Switch Lite OLED 249.99
Switch 299.99
Switch OLED 349.99

Considering inflation and the healty sales of the Switch ecosystem, I don't see a price cut happening, and this create a temporary problem: the Lite OLED and the Switch are very close in price to each other.
Even after the Lite is discontinued this issue will continue

Switch Lite OLED 249.99
Switch 299.99
Switch OLED 349.99

My first thought was eventually discontinuing the Switch too as it would be squeezed out of the market on both ends, and it would mean

Switch Lite OLED 249.99
Switch OLED 349.99

What a Lite OLED would mean is essentially a full 50 dollars price increase on the whole Switch line up compared to 2019.

Continuing this mental exercise, I don't see an eventual Switch successor being release at a price inferior to 449.99, even in a hypotetical very late release in 2024.

2017 - 299.99
2024 - 449.99

A 150 dollars increase in 7 years.

Furukawa: breathes

Internet: THE NEXT SWITCH MODEL?$;?;$3!;!:$!;:!:

Y’all 😭, internet needs to do BETTER.
Lol, didn't think I'd get quoted here. I'm not sure it actually means anything but it's odd that they'd take it down if it didn't
Edit: Apparently it might not have been recent? Interesting

A YT video being delisted is the least interesting, least indicative and least fruitful event people should put their energy at. It’s just grasping at literal AIR for something to hint at an announcement.

People that follow directs know this more than anyone about video delistings. (I hope anyway)

Don’t fall for this.

Also ask yourself, what purpose does the OLED lite serve, when the LITE is meant to be the budget alternative of the SWITCH family of systems. A smaller 720p display would have been known already, the OLED for the OLED model is a completely different part. Likewise the LCD in the lite is completely different part from the LCD in the V2 and V1 model.

ALONG with that, we would have known about a LITE OLED from the Firmware already. And fun fact there’s absolutely nothing about that in the firmware at the moment. Know when we found about the OLED model? Early 2020, when did the OLED release again? Over a year later.

If you want a LITE OLED model upgrade, I have one for you:

Lol, didn't think I'd get quoted here. I'm not sure it actually means anything but it's odd that they'd take it down if it didn't
Edit: Apparently it might not have been recent? Interesting
It was not. In fact, now that I'm looking at the NoA upload specifically, we can see that one was made private between July 8 and July 11 2021. So obviously it was because of the OLED announcement, but it's important to note they only did it right on or after the date of that announcement. So the private video coincided with a new announcement, but it wouldn't have been much use for predicting one in advance.

Video not private on 6/8: https://web.archive.org/web/20210708000750/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59yuBFRSZdg

Video private on 6/11: https://web.archive.org/web/20210711181902/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59yuBFRSZdg

It was not. In fact, now that I'm looking at the NoA upload specifically, we can see that one was made private between July 8 and July 11 2021. So obviously it was because of the OLED announcement, but it's important to note they only did it right on or after the date of that announcement. So the private video coincided with a new announcement, but it wouldn't have been much use for predicting one in advance.

Video not private on 6/8: https://web.archive.org/web/20210708000750/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59yuBFRSZdg

Video private on 6/11: https://web.archive.org/web/20210711181902/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59yuBFRSZdg
False alarm then. Thanks for clearing it up, I took down the tweet to avoid spreading false info further

Interesting. I posted about this 2 months ago: The OLED dock is capable of supplying all 39W from the AC adapter to the console, presumably by starving the USB ports. Since the OLED console doesn't consume more power than the v2 model, this seems to be a future-proofing feature. It's a distinct possibility that the next Switch model may increase its docked mode TDP.

Y3sV2nu.png

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hmm, doesn't the OLED switch dock only support HDMI 2.0 (up from the 1.4 of the base switch dock)? Since Orin supports HDMI 2.1, I would assume that the Drake dock does too 🤔

Now, I of course don't expect games to run at a locked 4K120 on Drake, but I could realistically see some games that already run at a fixed/locked 1080p/60fps (like Skyward Sword HD) receive patches to increase the resolution to 4K (either native or upscaled) and have an unlocked framerate to make them able to go anywhere between 60 and 120.

If the Drake switch supports VRR, those framerates would be pretty sweet

Hmm, doesn't the OLED switch dock only support HDMI 2.0 (up from the 1.4 of the base switch dock)? Since Orin supports HDMI 2.1, I would assume that the Drake dock does too 🤔

Now, I of course don't expect games to run at a locked 4K120 on Drake, but I could realistically see some games that already run at a fixed/locked 1080p/60fps (like Skyward Sword HD) receive patches to increase the resolution to 4K (either native or upscaled) and have an unlocked framerate to make them able to go anywhere between 60 and 120.

I don't think this is a dealbreaker for forward compatibility though.

There are also more reasons to think FC may be a thing. Namely that it supports 4k60 and it supports firmware updates.

Well, there's three things to consider (Maybe 4?):

1: The Nintendo Switch Dock with LAN Port (The official name, which doesn't mention the OLED Model funny enough.) supports firmware updates. Firmware updates for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 both modified the HDMI controller to support higher end features (3D and HDR respectively.) post-launch.

2. The Nintendo Switch Dock with LAN Port supports 4K60HDR output, even if the console doesn't, without an update. The Orin supports 4K120, yes, but the Tegra X1 has always supported 4K and HDR without a whiff of support on Switch five years after the fact. 4K60HDR seems reasonable even at a max for the Orin powered Switch, if it comes to be.

3. I'm posting this on a 4K monitor running at 60hz- through a Wii U HDMI cable, the same one that came with the Nintendo Switch at launch. The OLED Model Cable is even better. Maybe not 4K120HDR, but possibly 4K120SDR.

The maybe 4: The Nintendo Switch Dock with LAN Port has excessive ventilation for the V1 Switch, nevermind the OLED Model, and includes a lip around the ventilation area. The Switch only NEEDS one vent- the V1 has one of the intake vents almost entirely obscured internally. The Nintendo Switch Dock with LAN Port has FOUR.

Furukawa: breathes

Internet: THE NEXT SWITCH MODEL?$;?;$3!;!:$!;:!:

Y’all 😭, internet needs to do BETTER.
Hahaha! :ROFLMAO:

That just got me thinking...I'm sure he/the president of Nintendo catches general whiffs of fandom online, but tend to stay away from it for the most part because their jobs are so "removed" from everything. But, surely many Nintendo employees just have to hear all the crazy things, haha! Just the thought of how MUCH of the fandom craziness makes it his way is such a hilarious thought to me right now! Like, it's a sliding scale from "none at all" up to "daily report on forum posts around the world," haha!

I think so yes.
:cool:(y)

False alarm then. Thanks for clearing it up, I took down the tweet to avoid spreading false info further
It's all good! Kind of nice you're on here though to catch comments from people about it! Plus, you might end up in a bunch of YouTube videos now that people are hurriedly making, haha!

There are also more reasons to think FC may be a thing. Namely that it supports 4k60 and it supports firmware updates.

1: The Nintendo Switch Dock with LAN Port (The official name, which doesn't mention the OLED Model funny enough.) supports firmware updates. Firmware updates for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 both modified the HDMI controller to support higher end features (3D and HDR respectively.) post-launch.

2. The Nintendo Switch Dock with LAN Port supports 4K60HDR output, even if the console doesn't, without an update. The Orin supports 4K120, yes, but the Tegra X1 has always supported 4K and HDR without a whiff of support on Switch five years after the fact. 4K60HDR seems reasonable even at a max for the Orin powered Switch, if it comes to be.

3. I'm posting this on a 4K monitor running at 60hz- through a Wii U HDMI cable, the same one that came with the Nintendo Switch at launch. The OLED Model Cable is even better. Maybe not 4K120HDR, but possibly 4K120SDR.

The maybe 4: The Nintendo Switch Dock with LAN Port has excessive ventilation for the V1 Switch, nevermind the OLED Model, and includes a lip around the ventilation area. The Switch only NEEDS one vent- the V1 has one of the intake vents almost entirely obscured internally. The Nintendo Switch Dock with LAN Port has FOUR.
I wasn't aware the OLED dock was THAT different from the standard one! Cool posts! I'd figure they would keep up thinking of ways to do more with the dock going forward then with Drake and such! Pretty interesting too about them not calling it the "OLED Dock" too!

Maybe the dock is key to all this? :ROFLMAO:

I wasn't aware the OLED dock was THAT different from the standard one! Cool posts! I'd figure they would keep up thinking of ways to do more with the dock going forward then with Drake and such! Pretty interesting too about them not calling it the "OLED Dock" too!

Maybe the dock is key to all this? :ROFLMAO:
Time to spill some water on this (or maybe gasoline, depending on your perspective.)

1. WUP (Wii U model number) HDMI cable was used in all Nintendo consoles until OLED Model.

2. The first dedicated Nintendo Switch HDMI Cable is the HEG (OLED Model model number system) cable.

3. The Nintendo Switch Dock with LAN Port, although it doesn't contain OLED in the name, is still a HEG device (HEG 007)
The Nintendo Switch used the Wii U HDMI cable. The V2 used the V1 dock (the dock coming with the V2 doesn't have the (-01) designation). Not out of the realm of possibility we see the same situation.

Last edited:

I think there were some people speculating that the use of the HDMI 2.0 controller on the LAN port switch dock could be due to cost. If HDMI 1.4 is less commonly used today than 2.0, the controllers could be rarer and thus more expensive than the 2.0 ones. No idea if this is correct though.

As for the updatable dock, you're right. Maybe it could add support for other features that could fit within the HDMI controller's maximum supported bandwidth.

The HDMI support on the SoC is irrelevant. Switch outputs DisplayPort from the USB port (because that's a much better supported configuration than HDMI over USB), which gets converted to HDMI in the dock. The dock is what decides the version of HDMI supported.

I think there were some people speculating that the use of the HDMI 2.0 controller on the LAN port switch dock could be due to cost. If HDMI 1.4 is less commonly used today than 2.0, the controllers could be rarer and thus more expensive than the 2.0 ones. No idea if this is correct though.

As for the updatable dock, you're right. Maybe it could add support for other features that could fit within the HDMI controller's maximum supported bandwidth.
If that was the case, wouldn't they have changed every model still in production to the new dock? But instead, the (cheaper) V2 model continues to use the older dock (Nintendo Switch Dock) with the older chip (HDMI 1.4). I would probably say it's more like the Micro USB to USB C situation, where USB C is more common, yes, but Micro USB is still an order of magnitude cheaper (even if the cost difference is measured in cents rather than dollars). In quantities of a million, pennies matter. HDMI 2.0 is more common nowadays, yes, but HDMI 1.4 controllers are cheap as chips.

Just because Orin (and Drake by extension) supports up to HDMI 2.1 doesn't necessarily mean Nintendo's going to use HDMI 2.1. Nintendo could choose to stick with HDMI 2.0b (here and here).

As for VRR, I imagine Nintendo wants VRR to supported in TV mode and handheld mode. And I don't know if having an unlocked framerate running between 60-120 fps in handheld mode is possible due to how VRR functions on VRR enabled mobile OLED displays.

Time to spill some water on this (or maybe gasoline, depending on your perspective.)

1. WUP (Wii U model number) HDMI cable was used in all Nintendo consoles until OLED Model.

2. The first dedicated Nintendo Switch HDMI Cable is the HEG (OLED Model model number system) cable.

3. The Nintendo Switch Dock with LAN Port, although it doesn't contain OLED in the name, is still a HEG device (HEG 007)
The Nintendo Switch used the Wii U HDMI cable. The V2 used the V1 dock (the dock coming with the V2 doesn't have the (-01) designation). Not out of the realm of possibility we see the same situation.
I'll always go for the gasoline perspective! :ROFLMAO: That is really interesting information for sure though! Does the HEG HDMI cable (the one starting with the OLED) have any notable differences from the older one? I guess that'd require destroying a cable, haha, but just curious!

The call is coming from inside the dock
Hahaha! :ROFLMAO: AAAAAH!

The future takes shape. 2023

Haha! This is perfect! :D

879QlvQ.png

I'll always go for the gasoline perspective! :ROFLMAO: That is really interesting information for sure though! Does the HEG HDMI cable (the one starting with the OLED) have any notable differences from the older one? I guess that'd require destroying a cable, haha, but just curious!

It's higher quality but the same spec according to the Nintendo website (High Speed sans LAN, not Ultra High Speed). It's more flexible. And in testing with my 4K HDR capable laptop and Xbox Series X, more than capable of 4K60HDR, despite Nintendo's claims to the contrary. It has Model Number HEG-005.

Hahaha! :ROFLMAO: AAAAAH!

Haha! This is perfect! :D

879QlvQ.png
can somebody give it a VR feel and add the letter u somewhere

Just because Orin (and Drake by extension) supports up to HDMI 2.1 doesn't necessarily mean Nintendo's going to use HDMI 2.1. Nintendo could choose to stick with HDMI 2.0b (here and here).

As for VRR, I imagine Nintendo wants VRR to supported in TV mode and handheld mode. And I don't know if having an unlocked framerate running between 60-120 fps in handheld mode is possible due to how VRR functions on VRR enabled mobile OLED displays.
I was thinking more about the bandwidth. HDMI 2.0b only supports up to 18 Gbps (which 4K60 fits into), but anything above 60 (at 4K) would require more bandwidth (edit: I was wrong, 4K120 8-bit 4:2:0 can technically fit inside 18 Gbps, though I don't think 4K120 is an officially supported resolution/refresh rate pair in the HDMI 2.0b specs), like the 48 Gbps of HDMI 2.1. So if we assume that Drake can, in certain specific games, output 4K at a framerate higher than 60, I think it would be kind of a missed opportunity to not use HDMI 2.1.

For VRR I was mostly referring to docked mode, since I doubt the Drake switch's display would go higher than 60Hz

Last edited:
Not that I think it will happen but a handheld gaming PC (like Steam Deck, but more powerful) called AOKZOE is planned for release in September and will have LPDDR5X RAM along with it.

It's speed won't go up to 8533 Mbit/ though, but LPDDR5's 6400 Mbit/s (so no 133GB/s). I'm not betting on it, but the chances of Drake getting LPDDR5X gets higher the later it gets released maybe.. But i'm sure its all set in stone already, and it's not guaranteed that even if we do get it, if it would be for power savings or frequency boost. Every bit of bandwidth helps though...

What was this? Tweet was deleted.
Nintendo has privated the Nintendo Switch Lite reveal trailer on YouTube.

The tweet said recently, but the video was privated last year around the OLED reveal.

We can begin to freak out when they private the OLED Model reveal trailer, methinks.

If that was the case, wouldn't they have changed every model still in production to the new dock?

The OLED dock had to be redesigned to support Ethernet, and the OLED required retooling of production lines. Slapping in the cheaper, newer HDMI chipset was a no brainer, future proofing or not.

Redesigning the existing dock and retooling those production lines, plus writing off all the existing dock hardware they inventoried but wouldn’t use would rapidly eat up the short to medium term savings.

Unless the chip shortage (or some other external factor) cuts deeply into their margins, Nintendo will wait till they can get a bunch of these little cost savings together and package them up in one refresh - especially if they can cut little used features in the process for more savings. They’ve done it with literally every other console.

Not that I think it will happen but a handheld gaming PC (like Steam Deck, but more powerful) called AOKZOE is planned for release in September and will have LPDDR5X RAM along with it.

It's speed won't go up to 8533 Mbit/ though, but LPDDR5's 6400 Mbit/s (so no 133GB/s). I'm not betting on it, but the chances of Drake getting LPDDR5X gets higher the later it gets released maybe.. But i'm sure its all set in stone already, and it's not guaranteed that even if we do get it, if it would be for power savings or frequency boost. Every bit of bandwidth helps though...

That’s a typo, the APU it has does not support 5X afaik. You’d need to have the memory controller updated to support 5X. It only supports 5.

This isn’t uncommon to happen where they make typos.

The OLED dock had to be redesigned to support Ethernet, and the OLED required retooling of production lines. Slapping in the cheaper, newer HDMI chipset was a no brainer, future proofing or not.

Redesigning the existing dock and retooling those production lines, plus writing off all the existing dock hardware they inventoried but wouldn’t use would rapidly eat up the short to medium term savings.

Unless the chip shortage (or some other external factor) cuts deeply into their margins, Nintendo will wait till they can get a bunch of these little cost savings together and package them up in one refresh - especially if they can cut little used features in the process for more savings. They’ve done it with literally every other console.
That doesn't track. Let's say 2.0 controllers ARE cheaper, for sake of argument, replacing the HDMI controller would cost a single capital investment, even if it isn't tiny; RND to make sure it works, then a production line change. This would however lead to ongoing cost savings. This would add up quickly when they're making millions of them.

Furthermore, a silent cost saving update of a SINGLE chip wouldn't at all make the docks they've already made lemons: the Nintendo Switch Dock of the V1 or V2 still wouldn't support 4K output or firmware updates. The only change would be the HDMI controller, which the console can already interface with, and support circuitry, truly minimal changes.

As such, if this were the case, where 2.0 is cheaper than 1.4 controllers, then we would see the cheapest HDMI equipt model move to 1.4 due to the long terms savings and 0 impact on functionality.

Ergo, 1.4 controllers must be cheaper.

To suggest Nintendo is somehow above making a capital investment to save money on a continuous would be ludicrous.

I'm curious, is there a maximum total memory bandwidth for LPDDR5 defined by the specs?

I see a lot of 102.4 GB/s = ((6400 MT/s * 32 bits bus * 4 channels) / (8 bits/byte)) / 1000, but Orin also uses LPDDR5 and has 204.8 GB/s of bandwidth, so double.

Or is just the 6400 MT/s maximum required by the specification and the rest (number of channels and bus width) variable?

The Nintendo Switch Dock with LAN Port (The official name, which doesn't mention the OLED Model funny enough.)
Everywhere except the official product listing, strangely.
it'd be a big thing for casual players too tbh

I'd eat that shit up
I would too and then realize I don't have a 120 Hz display lol.

Something to consider here is that the controllers are currently transmitting at 60 Hz. It's possible this can be cranked up in future updates, but not a given. Additionally, I'm not sure you'd want to with the Joy-Cons, which already have enough wireless issues.

I'd still take 120 Hz for how good it looks, but it wouldn't necessarily make nearly the responsiveness difference it can for other consoles.

That’s a typo, the APU it has does not support 5X afaik. You’d need to have the memory controller updated to support 5X. It only supports 5.

This isn’t uncommon to happen where they make typos.
You're saying what they posted in their website (LPDDR5X) support is a typo?

I'm not saying what some video by some YouTuber influencer is showing is a typo, but when you have the actual company post in their website with the 6400 speed with a parentheses, I dunno. Seems to indicate it's legit and they are using it as part of reducing power consumption. The product won't be released until September also..

Would be a really big and misleading typo if it wasn't. Media outlets are reporting lpddr5x as well.
I'm curious, is there a maximum total memory bandwidth for LPDDR5 defined by the specs?

I see a lot of 102.4 GB/s = ((6400 MT/s * 32 bits bus * 4 channels) / (8 bits/byte)) / 1000, but Orin also uses LPDDR5 and has 204.8 GB/s of bandwidth, so double.

Or is just the 6400 MT/s maximum required by the specification and the rest (number of channels and bus width) variable?
204.8 GB/s is the maximum that we know for know, and its under the 256 but bus bandwidth. The AGX Orion models support this, while the NX models support half of that (102GB/s) at 128 but bus bandwidth.

After the Nvidia breach source code thingy , I forgot who it was that pointed out, but they didn't see any indications of Drake supporting 204.8GBs. Everyone here is expecting half of that.

6400 MT/s is the max speed on lpddr5, and it nets you the 102 GB/s. Compare that with Steam Deck that only reaches 88GB/s (think it's 5565ish on SD?)

Last edited:

It's just that Orin is on a 256 bit bus, like Apple's M1 Pro.
I haven't seen the leaked docs but supposedly there's an aspect of the GPU which aligns with 128bit for Drake, and a smaller chip using so much space for memory interface probably isn't a good idea.

Though I'm curious if anyone knows what the ROPs count is for Drake?

OLED lite when everyone is hoping for the DLSS model would be the newest "biggest insult by a gaming company in the past 10 years"

and yet it's exactly what I am expecting if any new hardware gets announced this year. Still personally speaking, I "feel" like new hardware launching with the next Zelda entry is a solid guess as far as speculation goes based on very little intel.

Orin has a 256-bit wide bus.
IIRC, according to the Nvidia hack, Orin has two frame buffer partitions while Drake has one. Ergo, we can reasonably infer that Drake has a 128-bit wide bus. Am I right on this, @LiC or @Thraktor?

6400 MT/s is the (promised) max for LPDDR5 by spec/JEDEC. The manufacturer presumably also promises up to a max of 6400 MT/s. So yea, that's the effective max speed outside of user side overclocking.
Channels/bus width's variable.

Everywhere except the official product listing, strangely.
Blimey, you'd be right.

"Dock - OLED Model", here and only here.

There it is, Nintendo Switch Dock with LAN Port (Which it is also called on the box of the OLED Model Console.)

Ain't that odd?

I am no longer interested in Splatoon at 120fps
Splatoon 2 only updates them at 15hz online anyway.

I think wireless connectivity with the existing controllers improving could be a nice addition to see in a new Switch Model, such as one using the Drake processor.

You're saying what they posted in their website (LPDDR5X) support is a typo?
Yes because the APU quite literally does not support 5X.

This is a hardware limit, not a software limit. In order to support 5X they need to have the memory controller that supports 5X. It’s not a simple swap feature here.

AMD outright lists that it uses LPDDR5 with 6400MT/s.

Along with DDR5-4800.

The website made a typo or are straight up lying here because the 6800U cannot use 5x. That or everything has been wrong on this and AMD managed to do this without needing to update or change anything.

Though I'm curious if anyone knows what the ROPs count is for Drake?
To figure out the desktop config of Ampere would be used. I think it would be 32ROPs.

Edit: Hm, actually let me see…. It’s 2 ROP partitions per GPC, and in each ROP partition it contains 8 individual ROPs.

How many GPCs does Drake have? If it has 1 GPC then it has 16 ROPs, if it has 2 GPCs it has 32ROPs just like the PS4.

Last edited:
Yes because the APU quite literally does not support 5X.

This is a hardware limit, not a software limit. In order to support 5X they need to have the memory controller that supports 5X. It’s not a simple swap feature here.

AMD outright lists that it uses LPDDR5 with 6400MT/s.

Along with DDR5-4800.

The website made a typo or are straight up lying here because the 6800U cannot use 5x. That or everything has been wrong on this and AMD managed to do this without needing to update or change anything.

To figure out the desktop config of Ampere would be used. I think it would be 32ROPs.
AMD 6800U came out in January 2022. It's possible that it's using an updated version of the GPU that does support that memory, which isn't released yet.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom