• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

You can also use Occam's razor:
Occam’s razor says that “entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity” - strictly speaking, supposing that Nintendo intends to make unannounced exclusives is actually a violation of Occam’s razor.

if Nintendo goes through the trouble of making a device capable of things their current console clearly cannot do, it is likely that they intend to release software that the current console clearly cannot handle. Otherwise, they would just be making a gift to third parties and that's quite a stretch knowing how Nintendo operates.
I absolutely agree. But that doesn’t definitively answer the “revision/successor/revcessor” discussion, nor does it answer the question of continued support for the classic switch. Which was what was on the table.

Without more info, we’re just going to keep going in the same sets of circles.

I assume he is talking about the oled designs smaller heat pipe, being the 6mm diameter flattened tube? And these new parts having a larger 8mm heat pipe tube?

Does anyone know the diameter of the original switches
heat pipe?

Ha ha if a knew this was going to be a thing I would have measured my old switches heat pipe when I replaced the fan.
Haha! :ROFLMAO: Why I love threads like this is summed up here, that we can be driven to start measuring heat pipes, haha!

I honestly have no idea! I did a few quick searches, and is this what the heat pipe is? - ZedLabs site

Granted, all it says for description is it weighs 119g, haha! But, it has some nice pictures of just the part!

EDIT: Not at all what they may be using, but this site (about 3/4 the way down) mentions how flat they can actually get. I honestly had no idea this was the case. Learning new stuff all the time!

Last edited:
I would gently push back on that - at least core contributors absolutely criticize sources. One of the reasons that we have been hiding so much stuff lately is because we know the sources are unvetted, and part of the fun here is doing the vetting. For example

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Occam’s razor says that “entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity” - strictly speaking, supposing that Nintendo intends to make unannounced exclusives is actually a violation of Occam’s razor.

I had a post written out that was proposing the same. Something happened on the browser and I lost most of it.

I’d also want to add that in your own post you mention only being able to guarantee a 7 year lifecycle, which assuming 5-6 to be the norm, is the minimum requirement for Furukawa’s statement around “extending the lifecycle” to be true. Is that really the most sensible assumption, especially coupled with the talk of mid-point as recently as the end of last year (potentially early this year). Why would they continue to repeat these statements only to be describing a single additional year of life?

My take is that Nintendo’s game design hasn’t chased bleeding edge in decades. When they’ve hard shifted platforms in the past, their own changes in game design revolved around new functionality the hardware introduced. Advancements in graphics technology alone won’t as easily change the types of games Nintendo chooses to create - I’d even argue this is true for most of the industry at this stage. Breath of the Wild 2, despite its foundation, won’t be any less modern of an experience than Halo Infinite, or Horizon Forbidden West. It’s subjectively less attractive, and given the lack of focus on photo realism, that gap could find itself bridged for many consumers with a much higher image quality.

If the new device is just a jump in power, and nothing more, what is Nintendo’s own incentive of creating an exclusive title for it?

It was mentioned in another post that if Nintendo doesn’t take full advantage of it that it’s just a “gift to third parties”, but that assumes 1. Nintendos own games at 4K/60fps is not a sufficient use of the power, and 2. That Nintendo is perfectly capable of, and content with single handedly supporting their own platform. Just because Nintendo has a history of hanging behind the technology curve doesn’t mean the rest of their partners are as keen, and more third party support is a benefit to all parties involved.

Without more info, we’re just going to keep going in the same sets of circles.

True. I should stop engaging as well lol. The mood around this topic is just revitalized right now so I can’t help but drop in to participate

Last edited:
I had a post written out that was proposing the same. Something happened on the browser and I lost most of it.

I’d also want to add that in your own post you mention only being able to guarantee a 7 year lifecycle, which assuming 5-6 to be the norm is the minimum requirement for Furukawa’s statement around “extending the lifecycle” to be true. Is that really the most sensible assumption, especially coupled with the talk of mid-point as recently as the end of last year (potentially early this year). Why would they continue to repeat these statements only to be describing a single additional year of life?
Just trying to set a “minimum” - I get folks who are concerned about their favorite console suddenly stopping. Nintendo has been pretty explicit about the minimum length of the Switch’s lifetime, so if hardware comes out before then, it won’t be a bait and switch.

If you want more than that, I think you’re probably going to be happy but I think a guarantee is too far

It seems like my comment didn't elicit the right tone, my mistake.

Everything you typed, goes without words. I just felt like typing a specific example where it's evident/proven they're full of it.

I did not mean to sound as serious as I did, you did nothing wrong awesomegames23

Just trying to set a “minimum” - I get folks who are concerned about their favorite console suddenly stopping. Nintendo has been pretty explicit about the minimum length of the Switch’s lifetime, so if hardware comes out before then, it won’t be a bait and switch.

If you want more than that, I think you’re probably going to be happy but I think a guarantee is too far

Nothing is guaranteed for sure, but it does feel like the messaging has been incredibly strong that Nintendo has years of support ahead for us.*

It would not surprise me if 2025 was the year we started to see a shift towards select first party exclusives. Monolithsoft could be first cab off the rank with whatever follows XC3. They’ll defy the odds and release the first blurry Super Switch game

Edit: I also realize Nintendo has famously said one thing and done another many times. DS “Third-Pillar” comes to mind

Haha! :ROFLMAO: Why I love threads like this is summed up here, that we can be driven to start measuring heat pipes, haha!

I honestly have no idea! I did a few quick searches, and is this what the heat pipe is? - ZedLabs site

Granted, all it says for description is it weighs 119g, haha! But, it has some nice pictures of just the part!

EDIT: Not at all what they may be using, but this site (about 3/4 the way down) mentions how flat they can actually get. I honestly had no idea this was the case. Learning new stuff all the time!

Yup that's it. A flattened J tube. I think the v2 and light still use the same one for the og switch (although I haven't opened my v2).

I've seen the oled has a very noticably smaller one:

YKyJdWxYMQMd5PoH.medium

My immediate assumption is simply because it can because of the power savings of the die shrink, and keeping the original for the Marikos just wasn't necessary, and they could shave off the pennies.

Last edited:
Whatever you think Drake is, it isn't, it doesn't exist, it's a lie, an illusion, and the S U C C will release in 2028 in all it's late glory!

I’d also want to add that in your own post you mention only being able to guarantee a 7 year lifecycle, which assuming 5-6 to be the norm, is the minimum requirement for Furukawa’s statement around “extending the lifecycle” to be true. Is that really the most sensible assumption, especially coupled with the talk of mid-point as recently as the end of last year (potentially early this year). Why would they continue to repeat these statements only to be describing a single additional year of life?

My take is that Nintendo’s game design hasn’t chased bleeding edge in decades. When they’ve hard shifted platforms in the past, their own changes in game design revolved around new functionality the hardware introduced. Advancements in graphics technology alone won’t as easily change the types of games Nintendo chooses to create - I’d even argue this is true for most of the industry at this stage. Breath of the Wild 2, despite its foundation, won’t be any less modern of an experience than Halo Infinite, or Horizon Forbidden West. It’s subjectively less attractive, and given the lack of focus on photo realism, that gap could find itself bridged for many consumers with a much higher image quality.

If the new device is just a jump in power, and nothing more, what is Nintendo’s own incentive of creating an exclusive title for it?

It was mentioned in another post that if Nintendo doesn’t take full advantage of it that it’s just a “gift to third parties”, but that assumes 1. Nintendos own games at 4K/60fps is not a sufficient use of the power, and 2. That Nintendo is perfectly capable of, and content with single handedly supporting their own platform. Just because Nintendo has a history of hanging behind the technology curve doesn’t mean the rest of their partners are as keen, and more third party support is a benefit to all parties involved.
what's the "new thing" for them to even jump on? VR? that's possible but the hardware would still have to be radically different and insider info doesn't support that. so far, they seem to be going for a more simple performance upgrade. any unique gimmick might be additive to that. given how expensive hardware is getting, even before inflation, taking a risk on going wild wouldn't be the best move right now.

and it's not like performance improvements hasn't fared them well. two of their best sellers were this (SNES and GBA). depending on how you want to frame it (because 3D was new), the N64 was this as well, and it didn't falter because of performance. and neither did the gamecube, which didn't have a gimmick and was the second most powerful console, arguably. the whole gimmick thing started rather recently with the DS and Wii, and they rode that into the ground. going back to the tried and true isn't too crazy of an idea

what's the "new thing" for them to even jump on? VR? that's possible but the hardware would still have to be radically different and insider info doesn't support that. so far, they seem to be going for a more simple performance upgrade. any unique gimmick might be additive to that. given how expensive hardware is getting, even before inflation, taking a risk on going wild wouldn't be the best move right now.

and it's not like performance improvements hasn't fared them well. two of their best sellers were this (SNES and GBA). depending on how you want to frame it (because 3D was new), the N64 was this as well, and it didn't falter because of performance. and neither did the gamecube, which didn't have a gimmick and was the second most powerful console, arguably. the whole gimmick thing started rather recently with the DS and Wii, and they rode that into the ground. going back to the tried and true isn't too crazy of an idea

3_99553b8e8feaed21ca1e4d5090287b87.jpg

Am I joke to you?

I don’t disagree with anything you said?

I’m not remotely debating whether they should or shouldn’t have a performance-only upgrade. The point being made was that such an upgrade at this point in time doesn’t necessarily point to Nintendo creating exclusives for the system anytime soon. 3D gaming is far more mature than it was during N64 and GCN, and Nintendo continuing with Switch as the base console for another 4 years will not make their own content any less relevant.

Of course. You really think something like that leaked image will stay contained for long?
will someone link to the image? ty

Sure, here's a link:

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Not the name I expected them to go with. Might be hard to convey immediately what the device is, but if the marketing is good I think it'll catch on. It's both fresh and a throwback. Wish the font was different though.

Skyrim Anniversary Edition got a rating in may but we didn't get announced in the direct mini last week.
will this game be based on iron galaxy Skyrim port or a new port by Bethesda for drake ?

Wasn’t there talks about letting the new Skyrim version use mods from the games store?

I could see that being Drake exclusive Since Switch has a limited amount of ram and cpu power

Wasn’t there talks about letting the new Skyrim version use mods from the games store?

I could see that being Drake exclusive Since Switch has a limited amount of ram and cpu power
this is from the wiki:
"The Anniversary Edition also includes 74 creation club mods, all 48 currently available ones plus 26 new, unreleased ones, adding up to a total of around 500 new gameplay elements for Skyrim."

No, anniversary edition is just a packaging of the Bethesda sanctioned add-ons

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom