• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Yea, it can. They shrunk the heatpipes from the 20nm chip, but they can always go back to it if they need to

I remember months ago there was talk of potentially no DLSS in handheld mode. Is that still a thing? Always felt it could potentially be a bottleneck for the system if one form factor was no where near as capable as the other.

I remember months ago there was talk of potentially no DLSS in handheld mode. Is that still a thing? Always felt it could potentially be a bottleneck for the system if one form factor was no where near as capable as the other.
The much lower resolution target, should more than balance out the clock speed difference. I don’t think that concern was ever that well founded.

CPU-wise, could the N3DS’s CPU be considered a “generational leap” over the original 3DS?
Yes. Basically doubled the core count and increased clock speed by above 3x. Basically removed the bottleneck that was the 3DS CPU. Although many people will say you that the choice of 3DS CPU was strange even back then, so calling "generational leap" in the sense of modern uArch is misleading.

There's not much reason to think it can't be done. Now that fsr is a thing, we're seeing the limits of upscaling on low powered hardware, but there are still gains (in IQ, if not performance). And this is when resources are being taken up by upscaling. DLSS has dedicated hardware and would fair better because of it

the whole gimmick thing started rather recently with the DS and Wii, and they rode that into the ground.
It started from the beginning.They had dual screens G&W in 1982 and they have always been looking for new ways to play, motion controls and touch screen were just another new input addition, following the dpad, shoulder buttons, analog stick, VR and analog triggers from the previous generations.

And then you have a ton of accessories they made for their consoles, ROB, Famicom disk system, GB Camera, Link cable, Sattelaview, Rumble Pak, N64DD, DK Bongos, to name a few. The Wii Mote was originally intended to be a GC accessory as well.

What stands out about the Wii/DS is that they abandoned the power race then and that severally limited them on what they could market outside of gimmicks. And that they made other decisions which displeased their hardcore fans in favor of a new audience.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Yup that's it. A flattened J tube. I think the v2 and light still use the same one for the og switch (although I haven't opened my v2).

I've seen the oled has a very noticably smaller one:

YKyJdWxYMQMd5PoH.medium

My immediate assumption is simply because it can because of the power savings of the die shrink, and keeping the original for the Marikos just wasn't necessary, and they could shave off the pennies.
Ah, that is really cool! It definitely seems like the internals of the OLED version are reduced compared to the original:

54rXfwu.jpg

Really curious about the extra saved space moving forward, especially with things shrinking down. I'd figure they'd want to keep the same screen size. Would the new chipset option simply fill up that space by now to even things out more to the normal "tight fit" of the OG? Do they put in more cooling? Memory?

raf,750x1000,075,t,FFFFFF:97ab1c12de.jpg

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

So in a nutshell we will see a brand new Switch console during July?
If it's releasing this year, probably. Certainly no guarantee of that.

So in a nutshell we will see a brand new Switch console during July?
No. It means that there's a lot of smoke recently for a new device in the Switch family. Wether if it will be announced in July or even release this year is unknown and probably not realistic at all. I would bet everything into 2023 though.

Can’t believe the leaked image is a TX1 with blast processing.

This is nuts.
Nintendoes what Sega don't
Oh man, it really is crazy! Didn't even know they could put in a blast processing chip like that in that small a form factor! We're really at a new beginning, a new genesis, of gaming technology now! I tried to zoom in on the blast processing part, since that's especially where the leaker could get in real trouble and we might be able to learn a lot...is this it?

Again, I could be wrong!

raf,750x1000,075,t,FFFFFF:97ab1c12de.jpg

Reckon the new chipset etc will fit in a case the same size as the OLED case?
I think theoretically speaking, yes, if Nintendo's willing to design and manufacture a smaller, more compact motherboard, as shown with Jetson Orin NX (I don't know the dimensions of the OLED model's motherboard, but Nvidia says the dimensions of the Jetson Orin NX motherboard is 69.6 mm x 45 mm, or ~2.740" x ~1.772") which could be necessary if Drake's fabricated using Samsung's 8N process node. Of course, whether or not Nintendo can install adequate cooling for a smaller, more compact motherboard, and keep the same dimensions of the OLED model, is a different story altogether.

Nintendo could easily add 0.5cm length on each side on the new switch but then it wouldn’t fit the switch cases that are out

Hmm, speaking of random Chinese things...

Interesting. I posted about this 2 months ago: The OLED dock is capable of supplying all 39W from the AC adapter to the console, presumably by starving the USB ports. Since the OLED console doesn't consume more power than the v2 model, this seems to be a future-proofing feature. It's a distinct possibility that the next Switch model may increase its docked mode TDP.

Y3sV2nu.png

Rebellion is putting in work for their games on the Switch. really hope they can get in early with Drake dev kits. they deserve it

They really do great work! Hope they have those dev kits too!

Interesting. I posted about this 2 months ago: The OLED dock is capable of supplying all 39W from the AC adapter to the console, presumably by starving the USB ports. Since the OLED console doesn't consume more power than the v2 model, this seems to be a future-proofing feature. It's a distinct possibility that the next Switch model may increase its docked mode TDP.

Y3sV2nu.png

Super interesting about the dock doing that! Kind of an odd choice to make all of a sudden!

if they dragged on a joke this long they must be really fed up with their community
Hahaha! :ROFLMAO: Would love to know what the prank was!

Ooooh, interesting...

3 models alongside …
So mysterious!!

Hmm, just playing around with the thought, if they're kind of "doing away" with shelf space for the standard Switch Lite, maybe it'd bode well for OLED being their standard screen after all?

They really do great work! Hope they have those dev kits too!

Super interesting about the dock doing that! Kind of an odd choice to make all of a sudden!

Hahaha! :ROFLMAO: Would love to know what the prank was!

Ooooh, interesting...

So mysterious!!

Hmm, just playing around with the thought, if they're kind of "doing away" with shelf space for the standard Switch Lite, maybe it'd bode well for OLED being their standard screen after all?
I think so yes.

OLED Lite would be a nice addition. Nintendo could sell only Switch models with OLED screen:

Switch UHD
Switch OLED Model
Switch Lite OLED Model

OLED Lite would've surely had some reports if it was in production right? They'd need to source brand new screens and those suppliers leak like crazy.

How are they getting the OLED down to the 200$ price range? It don’t make no sense Luv. Even Apple budget phones can’t even get an OLED screen. How is N doing it?
OLED screens are cheap. There are many phones with Oled screen below 200€

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom