• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Holy poop. Nintendo is releasing a new console?

…Wait a second. Is that why we’ve all been in this thread together for the last 37 years?

I doubt Nintendo has enough stuff they could technically announce and/or release for Switch 1 for more than one general Direct.

September could have a Partner Showcase (maybe even a smaller one of that type), ReDraketed reveal in October.

Indies and whatever third party they can get will likely carry the year more than the few games Nintendo might release.

Nah, we'll have a Switch One direct in September like always

And everyone will be mad that they still haven't talked about Switch Two yet what are they even doing I don't want to hear more about Metroid I want my four k and so on

I know this isn't what the tweet said but to me it seems they are setting up the June direct as the last switch(only) direct
I think that’s a perfectly reasonable read of the situation. The June Direct will likely take us through most the remaining larger Switch-era titles, and then after that, it’ll be full steam ahead to what’s NeXt (with maybe the odd Switch game getting thrown into Directs like they did with 3DS games.)

Though, I suppose a Switch Direct in September as part of the holiday games’ marketing campaigns isn’t out of the question, and probably makes some sense as well.

This is Furukawa, President of Nintendo. We will make an announcement about the successor to Nintendo Switch within this fiscal year. It will have been over nine years since we announced the existence of Nintendo Switch back in March 2015. We will be holding a Nintendo Direct this June regarding the Nintendo Switch software lineup for the latter half of 2024, but please be aware that there will be no mention of the Nintendo Switch successor during that presentation.

I knew it! I knew it! I believed Pyoro meant more than just a NES game!

kid-kid-evil-spiderman-dance.gif

Apologies for being late to the party. Please be excited.

I remember a statement about a shorter marketing cycle for the new hardware, am I crazy?

Well NX was "soft announced" via PR in March 2015, and revealed / fully announced as Switch in October 2016.

Soft announcement / acknowledgement in May 2024, potential reveal / full announcement in fall 2024, and release by March 2025 is definitely shorter than March 2015 to March 2017! ;D

With summer games fest coming up I wonder if Nintendo would feel at all pressured to let developers announce games for their new system, especially since they're only gonna be talking Switch 1 games during that same time period. The release date of some of these gamess also might misinform the public about the release of the console which just creates unecessary confusion and misplaced anticipation. I think they'd want to avoid that.

My current stance is we won't be hearing about it till September - October and Nintendo will allow key partners to announce titles after plans for the system have been fully revealed. Best case scenario is we get factory leaks or spec leaks (from ubisoft).

Maybe some developers will do the marketing thing and 'announce' their game for Nintendo's next console but those tend to be uninteresting releases and they won't indicate much.

When we expecting the launch, since January-April seems the most likely.

Also I can Nintendo just copy the Switch marketing with a reveal trailer in October and a presentation in January.

With summer games fest coming up I wonder if Nintendo would feel at all pressured to let developers announce games for their new system, especially since they're only gonna be talking Switch 1 games during that same time period. The release date of some of these gamess also might misinform the public about the release of the console which just creates unecessary confusion and misplaced anticipation. I think they'd want to avoid that.

My current stance is we won't be hearing about it till September - October and Nintendo will allow key partners to announce titles after plans for the system have been fully revealed. Best case scenario is we get factory leaks or spec leaks (from ubisoft).

Maybe some developers will do the marketing thing and 'announce' their game for Nintendo's next console but those tend to be uninteresting releases and they won't indicate much.
I feel like we can maybe see some developers just tweeting.

,, We are currently developing the for the Successor of the Switch’’.

That barely counted as a mention...but damnit ill take it. I dont like the word usage. "announced this fiscal year" instead of "released this fiscal year". Most likely just being cautious with expectations but that really leads me to believe its March 2025 and that means no room for error in order to get it out this fiscal year.

The "mention" should allow for some interesting questions and details for the annual shareholders meet in late June. I'd expect some more information there. Maybe if we are lucky...timing for the announcement/introduction?

So if you are investor and you don't have twitter you don't know shit, it isn't uploaded as a press release on a website

If you are an investor and don't know official channels of the companies you invest in...then...your gambling imo

I feel like we can maybe see some developers just tweeting.

,, We are currently developing the for the Successor of the Switch’’.
Yeah that would make sense but I don't think it will be too significant. Maybe just a CEO saying "we are looking at Nintendo's newest platform and anticipate high success, we see it as another avenue of growth". At this point idk what to expect I'm tired lmao

I know this isn't what the tweet said but to me it seems they are setting up the June direct as the last switch(only) direct
Another interesting tidbit is that Furukawa states that the direct in june will only be about Switch games for latter half of 2024, so no games slated for 2025. That indicates as well an early 2025 release of Switch 2.

Yeah that would make sense but I don't think it will be too significant. Maybe just a CEO saying "we are looking at Nintendo's newest platform and anticipate high success, we see it as another avenue of growth". At this point idk what to expect I'm tired lmao

Horii: "Oh boy, i can't wait to spill that every DQ game under my hand will come to the successor of the Nintendo Switch! I AM UNTOUCHABLE!"

When we expecting the launch, since January-April seems the most likely.

Also I can Nintendo just copy the Switch marketing with a reveal trailer in October and a presentation in January.
My money is on March. Just before the end of their Fiscal Year to boost their numbers a bit and then ride the console launch’s momentum into the next.

And I agree that the blueprint will be similar to Switch. October console reveal, January showcase, February NoA will maybe do a Super Bowl ad, and then release in March. (Though, I also thought that was what 2023 into 2024 was going to look like, so what do I know? 😅)

Horii: "Oh boy, i can't wait to spill that every DQ game under my hand will come to the successor of the Nintendo Switch! I AM UNTOUCHABLE!"
Honestly I can see them saying DQ12 is coming to Switch Successor. DQ day is on the 27th and I'm pretty sure Nintendo would let them in particular do whatever since DQ11 was the first ever NX game lol

Another interesting tidbit is that Furukawa states that the direct in june will only be about Switch games for latter half of 2024, so no games slated for 2025. That indicates as well an early 2025 release of Switch 2.
To be fair, don’t they say that all the time and yet the Direct almost always has content beyond the announced window?

(I’m not saying that will happen again, just that more often than not, they don’t seem to adhere to the given timeframe. Or at least not strictly.)

Last edited:
Before or at Tokyo Game Show (26th-29th September) seems like a good bet for me. Would allow for Japanese publishers to freely show and talk games.

The only thing i want to mention is nintendo planning to sale 13.5m unit of switch this financial year, which i think it is not possible at all.

Maybe a certain set of people would lose their minds over that, but if the June Direct is good it really wouldn't matter.
Just saying that the longer they would have left that topic unclear, the more it would have gotten a big Elefant in the room where it gets strange that they‘d ignore addressing that.

With them saying Switch 2 not being part of the June direct, they are setting expectations which I think is a good thing.

Furukawa Shuntaro president said in the earnings conference
"I think now is a good time to announce the successor console we have in development."
"We've been trying to come up with unique gameplay that's unique to Nintendo, and we feel that doing business through a dedicated console that integrates hardware and software is the most Nintendo style."
(Machine translation)

That barely counted as a mention...but damnit ill take it. I dont like the word usage. "announced this fiscal year" instead of "released this fiscal year". Most likely just being cautious with expectations but that really leads me to believe its March 2025 and that means no room for error in order to get it out this fiscal year.

The "mention" should allow for some interesting questions and details for the annual shareholders meet in late June. I'd expect some more information there. Maybe if we are lucky...timing for the announcement/introduction?

If you are an investor and don't know official channels of the companies you invest in...then...your gambling imo
haha dont you think theyd be getting a little ahead of themselves to give us the whole release window the first time they just acknowledge that its a thing? they gotta tease us a little first

imagine at the end of the june switch1 direct they just say "and join us next month for a very special direct ;) "

Great point

If this would be the case, i could see them not even doing any Switch 1 showcase in September / fall, outside of maybe an Indie Showcase in Oct/Nov.

I do see quite a few games being cross-gen, even from thirds, as the Switch userbase is too big to ignore, especially for smaller devs and pubs.

So that would be a double-strike, for both Switch 1 and ReDraketed.

"I think now is a good time to announce the successor console we have in development."
"We've been trying to come up with unique gameplay that's unique to Nintendo, and we feel that doing business through a dedicated console that integrates hardware and software is the most Nintendo style."
(Machine translation)
That line in the it’s over/we’re back mood chart that’s like “Extreme euphoria”

(Machine translation)

A better translation would be

"I believe now is a good time to announce that we are in the development of a successor console." "We have been striving to propose unique gameplay that is distinctively Nintendo, and we believe that operating through a gaming console that integrates both hardware and software is most in line with Nintendo's style."

Me waking up: It will probably be nothing
Me now: JEUDJSMWOA9XMENWOA-/aldiciei3kw
Just to sum up my day, I woke up at 6 am BST for an exam this morning at 9. I checked in here a few times while revising and then got that Switch successor tweet at 8. I went into the exam with high hopes, did pretty well imo, and went back here to see that my 100 message per page thread increased by around 3 pages since.

Today, ladies & gents, we fucking won.

A better translation would be

"I believe now is a good time to announce that we are in the development of a successor console." "We have been striving to propose unique gameplay that is distinctively Nintendo, and we believe that operating through a gaming console that integrates both hardware and software is most in line with Nintendo's style."
Gimmick confirmed?

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom