• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

New gimmick: 4 modular magnetic mini joycon. you can arrange them as you want and choose the best set up for your needs

Also can we talk about the software financial forecast for FY25?

They expect to sell 167M games, which is just 17% less than last year (and last year had Pikmin, Zelda, Mario..) how they plan to do this ? They must have some crazy surprise up their sleeve

hXWLX5Q.png

What the hell is going on
Don’t quote me on this. . .

But my uncle said Nintendo is releasing a new Switch this FY.

Last edited:
Gaming companies could use just the Nintendo logo in announce trailers as a generic way of saying “its coming to a yet-to-be-named Nintendo Console”. I think there have been times when I’ve seen just the generic PS logo to represent PS5.

Gaming companies could use just the Nintendo logo in announce trailers as a generic way of saying “its coming to a yet-to-be-named Nintendo Console”. I think there have been times when I’ve seen just the generic PS logo to represent PS5.
Yeah. But I wouldn‘t expect that from Nintendo themselves or on their official channels. At least not until like August the soonest.

i really hope you're right here. i don't want to see another graphically-impressive game with "nintendo switch" at the end of it's trailer ever again at this point lmfao.

A few Furukawa quotes as reported by Japanese press (translation mine):

開発中の後継機をお知らせするのにいいタイミングだと判断した
“We have decided that this is a good time to inform you of the successor console under development.” (Sankei Shimbun)

『ニンテンドースイッチ』の後継機種に関するアナウンスを今期中に行う。これまでのハード・ソフト一体型のゲーム専用機ビジネスを継続していくことが、最も任天堂らしいユニークな娯楽の提案に適していると考えていて、そうした考えのもとで準備を進めている
“An announcement regarding the successor of Nintendo Switch will be made during this fiscal period. We believe that continuing the business of dedicated consoles with integrated hardware and software is the most suitable way to offer entertainment that is uniquely Nintendo, and we are making preparations based on this thinking.” (NHK)
--> Note that he said fiscal “period” not quarter or year. Based on the context I believe that he meant this fiscal year. Even native speakers, such as Mochizuki, can be confused at times.

次世代機のコンセプトについて本日時点でお話しできることはないが、スイッチ発売後の7年間に多くの人に(任天堂の)ゲーム機を手に取ってもらった。引き続き遊んでもらいたいと準備している
“I cannot remark on the concept of the next-generation console as of today, but in the seven years since the Switch was released many people have acquired our consoles. We are preparing to have them continue playing.” (Kyoto Shimbun)

Regarding how to keep business going before the new model is out:
新作ソフトの魅力を丁寧に伝え、ゲーム機以外も含むビジネスの勢いを維持していくことが大切だ
“It is important to carefully communicate the appeal of new titles, and maintain the momentum of our business apart from the game consoles.” (Sankei Shimbun)

Furukawa Shuntaro president said in the earnings conference
"I think now is a good time to announce the successor console we have in development."
"We've been trying to come up with unique gameplay that's unique to Nintendo, and we feel that doing business through a dedicated console that integrates hardware and software is the most Nintendo style."
(Machine translation)
I need a stupid fucking gimmick so bad I'm done pretending

13,5 million in hardware sales forecast for this FY seems to indicate Switch 2 release in march. So Nintendo forecast 10 million Switch 1 sales and 3,5 million Switch 2 sales during this fiscal year probably.
no, is 13.5 milions forecast just for Nintendo Switch

I'd say with this wording it's still up in the air if we will see Switch 2 this FY, but I would rather expect it March 2025 the soonest or even a few months later.

--> Note that he said fiscal “period” not quarter or year. Based on the context I believe that he meant this fiscal year. Even native speakers, such as Mochizuki, can be confused at times.

I'm not native so take this with caution, but I believe the correct translation for 今期中 would be 'within the present term'.

it's nice they officially said something but the wording ie announcement within the fiscal year is not that encouraging re March or even 1H 2025 being the release. all that's for sure is that they reveal it by March 2025. would be better if they said it would revealed in 2024 calender year though i guess that's not such a business thing to say.

I'm not native so take this with caution, but I believe the correct translation for 今期中 would be 'within the present term'.
Given that the Tweet is saying "Within this fiscal year" I'm sure that is what he meant with that.

I'd say with this wording it's still up in the air if we will see Switch 2 this FY, but I would rather expect it March 2025 the soonest or even a few months later.
Yeah, it could actually be next fiscal year based on the wording though I wouldn't expect it to slip too deep into it regardless. June 2025 would be the latest I would expect. I think if tgey are going to reveal it this FY, unless they plan to do that way in January or February we are looking at a fall initial reveal. I suppose sept to sept is reasonable but I don't know if that's the best move.

Some of you folks ... it makes me think you're typing like you're being in the casting tryouts for the MCU Dr. Doom.

I need a stupid fucking gimmick so bad I'm done pretending
Let me introduce wireless connection to the dock, similar to the Wii U. (I know the SD is connected by the wires but imagine the wire isn’t there)

With a new generation of shorter attention spam, you can now play on you switch handheld mode and with a press of a button it can connect to the TV, with that you can play subway surfer gameplay via YouTube or even better TikTok.

Somehow this can actually be quite appealing for many people (including myself)

CemuWorking-1536x1152.jpg

it's nice they officially said something but the wording ie announcement within the fiscal year is not that encouraging re March or even 1H 2025 being the release. all that's for sure is that they reveal it by March 2025. would be a lot better if they said it would revealed in the 2024 calender year though that's not such a business thing to say, i guess.
Them explicitly mentioning that Switch 2 will not be part of a June Direct sounds to me that soon after that direct (like in the coming 3-4 months after June) they will start to talk about the next console. But guess we'll see.

I think Furukawa’s statement was phrased to provide only the exact unit of information he desired, and nothing more. It’s just as true whether Nintendo reveals in July and releases in November as it is if they reveal in March and release in 2026.

As @lexony mentioned, the only thing we can safely assume is that any announcement will come after the June direct.

This is Furukawa, President of Nintendo. We will make an announcement about the successor to Nintendo Switch within this fiscal year. It will have been over nine years since we announced the existence of Nintendo Switch back in March 2015. We will be holding a Nintendo Direct this June regarding the Nintendo Switch software lineup for the latter half of 2024, but please be aware that there will be no mention of the Nintendo Switch successor during that presentation.

Them explicitly mentioning that Switch 2 will not be part of a June Direct sounds to me that soon after that direct (like in the coming 3-4 months after June) they will start to talk about the next console. But guess we'll see.
well i hope so or it's definitely not going to come out in March. mass production would have to start well before the end of the year to hit that date, given things will slow down over the holiday period.

Let me introduce wireless connection to the dock, similar to the Wii U. (I know the SD is connected by the wires but imagine the wire isn’t there)

With a new generation of shorter attention spam, you can now play on you switch handheld mode and with a press of a button it can connect to the TV, with that you can play subway surfer gameplay via YouTube or even better TikTok.

Somehow this can actually be quite appealing for many people (including myself)

CemuWorking-1536x1152.jpg
If it can't be done in both modes, then dual screens is still dead

If the rumors are true, then Nintendo has supposedly finished developing the hardware for the Switch NG and are mostly just developing 1st party software and prepping for marketing. I doubt they would reveal the console in early fall then release until the 2nd half of 2025.

ah yes now that is interesting, unless they have MP4 and some other big titles coming over the holidays. but yeah maybe that includes launch titles, sure looks that way.

well i hope so or it's definitely not going to come out in March. mass production would have to start well before the end of the year to hit that date, given things will slow down over the holiday period.
It's not like there isn't enough time for that. We are talking about a console releasing in a year. Right now we can only assume and I'd say that the reveal is rather sooner than later (this year).

It's not like there isn't enough time for that. We are talking about a console releasing in a year. Right now we can only assume and I'd say that the reveal is rather sooner than later (this year).
hopefully but all they've said it they'll announce it by March 2025. maybe they're leaving a lot of wiggle room and talking in general FY terms as to not give the game away though, as opposed to still being uncertain of the release.

Software forecast to me indicates a H2 2024 launch for Switch 2, unless they dropping Pokemon remakes this fall not sure how they plan to reach those goals

I still think this could work:

• June Direct: MP4 Trailer with no mention of Switch 2
  • September: Switch 2 Presentation w MP4 Gameplay
  • November: Switch 2 Release with MP4 cross gen
  • 2025: Mario Kart, Zelda remake, Mario 3D etc

This is just my humble opinion don't throw knives at me, remember y'all called me crazy when I said that Pyoro was doing a double entendre with his latest tweet

Software forecast to me indicates a H2 2024 launch for Switch 2, unless they dropping Pokemon remakes this fall not sure how they plan to reach those goals

This is just my humble opinion don't throw knives at me, remember y'all called me crazy when I said that Pyoro was doing a double entendre with his latest tweet
A 2 months marketing cycle seems a bit short imo

probably just optimism re remakes, unannounced things and 20 million+ projected launch titles (in March). not sure there's any indication it's coming this calender year.

will be interesting to see what they show in June even without a Switch 2 reveal. what is or isn't there (say MP4) may give a good indicator of when the release might be. surely they can't coast another year on remakes...

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom