• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I think Nintendo learned from 3DS and Wii U, and they do what they are doing. I believe 3DS and Wii U followed a very different philosophy than their predecessor, despite their brand name.

In a nutshell, DS and Wii focused on:
  • Targeting people who aren't traditionally into games, with titles such as Wii Sports, Brain Training, or Nintendogs (the Touch! Generation games);
  • Offering unique technology allowing those games to exist in the first place, and, of course, enhance hardcore games (conceptually, gyro aiming was born here);
  • Being cheap and affordable (at least compared to the competition).
Points 1 and 2 can be summarized by Nintendo's current mantra: integrated hardware-software experience. You don't get Brain Training without the DS touch screen, you don't get gyro aiming without the Wii Motion Plus.

But with 3DS and Wii U, Nintendo decided to de-emphasize Touch! Generation games for another approach:

Miyamoto: When we thought about what kinds of activities a new player who doesn't know much about games could enjoy on a Nintendo 3DS, what came to mind was taking 3D photos, watching 3D videos, things like that.

Itoi: In other words, functions in the system itself.

Miyamoto: Right. Not separate software.

Iwata: You could say that the system itself fulfils the role of Touch! Generations.

The "Brain Training" of 3DS and Wii U were supposed to be the 3D camera and the Wii U Chat! Not something very appealing or unique in the age of tablet and smartphones. Nintendo believed people would build the hardware for the hardware features themselves, not for the unique games. Under this light, the underwhelming 3DS launch lineup almost makes sense. Moreover -- and I'm saying this as a 3D fan -- most of those features had little impact on most of the games, violating the second point of the DS/Wii strategy and only increasing the price of the final product.

With Switch, they kind of redeemed 3DS and Wii U strategy and took points from their old Wii/DS strategy:
  • The tablet hardware, in a way, fulfils the role of Touch! Generations games target people who don't have time to sit in front of the TV, have to commute, have kids, etc. The "Brain Training" of the Switch is its hybrid nature;
  • The unique technology the Joy-Cons offers is not only paired to the tablet but opened the door to experimental titles (Ring Fit) and simple local multiplayer experiences (Mario Kart). They also worked as a catch-all solution for any kind of modern game -- you can use them as a traditional controller, or you can use them as a "good enough" WiiMote+Nunchuck.
With Switch, there's also been a subtle shift in Nintendo's game design philosophy. Games such as BotW/TotK, Odyssey, or Pikmin 4 have some parts which require the player to invest some time (though the console can always be put on sleep mode), and others which are made with the idea of a quick playing session in mind. Think exploring an area or a dungeon in Pikmin and Zelda, or doing a Dandori challange or a Shrine. Nintendo's integrated hardware-software experience kind of breaks the barrier between console and handheld experiences, even from a design standpoint (though to be fair, Nintendo has been moving in that direction for years).

So Nintendo's integrated hardware-software strategy led to the success of Wii, DS and Switch, and things went rough with 3DS and Wii U when Nintendo tried to sell hardware which did not really enhance the software (or if you prefer, the software did not really need that hardware).

What we have to ask is: under the premise of an integrated hardware-software experience, what could Switch 2 unique selling could be?
  • DLSS is obvious. Switch 2 will be the first console made with the idea that the final image quality will be due both to the hardware and the software. In practice, this will enhance Switch's "home console you can take on the go" core concept;
  • Since a tensor core will be there, can Nintendo leverage it in some unique way? Can Switch 2 games learn something from the user, or do they have little assistance? This could lead to interesting ideas both in hardcore and casual titles;
  • Most people here have expected a "no gimmick" approach. Personally I have expected the reintroduction of a microphone, a camera, and perhaps the introduction of a GPS. I might be right for the mic! The idea is that Switch 2 hardware should allow new experiences. Nintendogs was a notable omission from the Switch 1 lineup, no doubt due to the lack of a mic. I'm convinced the magnet might not only be used to connect Joy-Cons.

As long as Nintendo stays true to their integrated hardware-software strategy, they'll be fine. And they repeated this mantra for years now.

I think Nintendo learned from 3DS and Wii U, and they do what they are doing. I believe 3DS and Wii U followed a very different philosophy than their predecessor, despite their brand name.

• Targeting people who aren't traditionally into games, with titles such as Wii Sports, Brain Training, or Nintendogs (the Touch! Generation games);
  • Offering unique technology allowing those games to exist in the first place, and, of course, enhance hardcore games (conceptually, gyro aiming was born here);
Points 1 and 2 can be summarized by Nintendo's current mantra: integrated hardware-software experience. You don't get Brain Training without the DS touch screen, you don't get gyro aiming without the Wii Motion Plus.

But with 3DS and Wii U, Nintendo decided to de-emphasize Touch! Generation games for another approach:

The "Brain Training" of 3DS and Wii U were supposed to be the 3D camera and the Wii U Chat! Not something very appealing or unique in the age of tablet and smartphones. Nintendo believed people would build the hardware for the hardware features themselves, not for the unique games. Under this light, the underwhelming 3DS launch lineup almost makes sense. Moreover -- and I'm saying this as a 3D fan -- most of those features had little impact on most of the games, violating the second point of the DS/Wii strategy and only increasing the price of the final product.

With Switch, they kind of redeemed 3DS and Wii U strategy and took points from their old Wii/DS strategy:
  • The tablet hardware, in a way, fulfils the role of Touch! Generations games target people who don't have time to sit in front of the TV, have to commute, have kids, etc. The "Brain Training" of the Switch is its hybrid nature;
  • The unique technology the Joy-Cons offers is not only paired to the tablet but opened the door to experimental titles (Ring Fit) and simple local multiplayer experiences (Mario Kart). They also worked as a catch-all solution for any kind of modern game -- you can use them as a traditional controller, or you can use them as a "good enough" WiiMote+Nunchuck.
With Switch, there's also been a subtle shift in Nintendo's game design philosophy. Games such as BotW/TotK, Odyssey, or Pikmin 4 have some parts which require the player to invest some time (though the console can always be put on sleep mode), and others which are made with the idea of a quick playing session in mind. Think exploring an area or a dungeon in Pikmin and Zelda, or doing a Dandori challange or a Shrine. Nintendo's integrated hardware-software experience kind of breaks the barrier between console and handheld experiences, even from a design standpoint (though to be fair, Nintendo has been moving in that direction for years).

So Nintendo's integrated hardware-software strategy led to the success of Wii, DS and Switch, and things went rough with 3DS and Wii U when Nintendo tried to sell hardware which did not really enhance the software (or if you prefer, the software did not really need that hardware).

What we have to ask is: under the premise of an integrated hardware-software experience, what could Switch 2 unique selling could be?
  • DLSS is obvious. Switch 2 will be the first console made with the idea that the final image quality will be due both to the hardware and the software. In practice, this will enhance Switch's "home console you can take on the go" core concept;
  • Since a tensor core will be there, can Nintendo leverage it in some unique way? Can Switch 2 games learn something from the user, or do they have little assistance? This could lead to interesting ideas both in hardcore and casual titles;
  • Most people here have expected a "no gimmick" approach. Personally I have expected the reintroduction of a microphone, a camera, and perhaps the introduction of a GPS. I might be right for the mic! The idea is that Switch 2 hardware should allow new experiences. Nintendogs was a notable omission from the Switch 1 lineup, no doubt due to the lack of a mic. I'm convinced the magnet might not only be used to connect Joy-Cons.

As long as Nintendo stays true to their integrated hardware-software strategy, they'll be fine. And they repeated this mantra for years now.
Interesting you mention Nintendogs because it's perhaps the perfect franchise to be an AI showcase for the tensor cores. Imagine if the dogs can learn things even the devs hadn't anticipated.

Asking again after thinking a bit more about the situation:

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Despite being on this form for a year and a half I can't read it.
Smh, I should work harder not smarter (I am neither)
uU6fYw.gif

Regarding the comparison between the transition from Wii/DS to Wii U/3DS and Switch to Switch 2. I think we are focusing too much on the console side of things and missing the impact outside of it. For example, video games as a whole has grown significantly in the past few years. People that plays video games and watches people play games. Basically the popularity has increased massively for the market. I also believe Nintendo as a brand has become much stronger since the Switch. Their strategy involving IP expansion came to fruition during the Switch era, including theme park, movie, merchandise. Nintendo was viewed as a brand for kids, the Wii and DS changed that to casuals. I think the Switch was finally able to secure people from all kinds of demographic. There's people that cares about the brand more than ever before. This doesn't mean that their next console is a guaranteed hit, but I do think the situation right now is significantly better than 2010.

Most people here have expected a "no gimmick" approach. Personally I have expected the reintroduction of a microphone, a camera, and perhaps the introduction of a GPS. I might be right for the mic! The idea is that Switch 2 hardware should allow new experiences. Nintendogs was a notable omission from the Switch 1 lineup, no doubt due to the lack of a mic. I'm convinced the magnet might not only be used to connect Joy-Cons.
The problem isn't "just gimmick" it is how much integrated it is in the gameplay and how many people can connect with. For a game like wii and Switch sports,it is fine, as you're simulating sports. The gimmick enhances the experience. However, a game like Mario Galaxy, the motion controls did nothing for it. It didn't enhance the experience.

Something with the HD feedback on the Switch. Galaxy used it and it didn't enhance the gameplay. Some stuff was cool but it wasn't integral. I think the only use was when you were riding the scooter, and they had the hidden moon puzzle.. that's it.

The problem with gimmick is getting the audience connect with it. The biggest gimmick of the Switch is actually a practical one instead of a novelty, which what everyone thinks of gimmicks. The Switch offers a console experience anywhere. I called this OLA - One Library Anywhere. Xbox tried to achieve this, Sony much less so, even Valve with the Steam deck. Nintendo gave us something unique and practical.

Asking again after thinking a bit more about the situation:

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Day fucking one

If I had to defend lcd, I would say that lcd screens in the 7.9-inch or more in tablat market are still quite common and large oled screens are very expensive
The og switch lcd screen is not good, but if you look at the old ipad pro lcd screen, it is quite good.
edit:So in the end, it is up to Nintendo to choose a good screen or not, which is more important than lcd or oled
Since panels are made to order (unless you're looking for hand me downs), it's the general production that's saving them money. There are still tons of lcd plants compared to oled.

I think the release timing is more intriguing.

Like having it be the Switch 2 holiday game would be massive.

Also having Pokémon game at the first year of the Switch 2 is extremely interesting and hopefully game freak will learn PS3 level fidelity for the Switch 2.
Regardless of the credibility or otherwise of the source, having a Pokémon game from launch and then gen 10 in 2026 seems obvious to me. Nintendo won't have a Breath Of The Wild, but they will have a Pokémon in year 1.

It looks like I need to retract my previous statement.
The new iPad Pro with 8GB of RAM has the same performance as the Switch 2, but Apple has restricted 4GB of it.(what?)
edit:It looks like almost the same memory chip as switch2.

Last edited:
I dreamed Nintendo announced a 2DS OLED that was a slimmer version of the regular new 3DS.

That possibility is lost, but I'll hold out hope for a Vita sized Switch 2 Lite, my eyes be damned.

The new iPad Pro with 8GB of RAM has the same performance as the Switch 2, but Apple has restricted 4GB of it.(what?)
This is such an Apple move. There should be some regulation that forbids this.

Edit: also it does seem to indicate Nintendo went with the lowest capacity they could have.

Last edited:
This is such an Apple move. There should be some regulation that forbids this.

Edit: also it does seem to indicate went with the lowest capacity they could have.
Imagine the Switch 2 being limited to 8GB due to same foolish decision...
For example: Although 8GB is enough for us, there are only 6GB LPDDR5X memory chips available on the market. There's no choice but to buy two and limit it to 8GB of memory!
I need to stop these baseless negative thoughts.

Last edited:
So… they gave it 8GB ram, but are restricting it to be only 4GB? Like why not just make it 4GB at the beginning.

Imagine the Switch 2 being limited to 8GB due to same foolish decision... I need to stop these baseless negative thoughts.
Appple does this for segmentation. Nintendo

1: doesn't have segments.

2: would shoot themselves in the foot because it would directly negate the quality of their games (their main source of revenue) for no gain.

So… they gave it 8GB ram, but are restricting it to be only 4GB? Like why not just make it 4GB at the beginning.
No they gave 12 gb of ram, but restricts 4. This is to upsell more people on the 16 gb option.

Why they give 12, is because 4 gb modules aren't available. So they use 2*6.

No they gave 12 gb of ram, but restricts 4. This is to upsell more people on the 16 gb option.

Why they give 12, is because 4 gb modules aren't available. So they use 2*6.
That’s quite weird, but I’m guessing things like IPad and consoles have different philosophy.

But it’s still weird not utilised the full hardware.

software binning ram
hahahahahah

fucking apple man...

If so, that could also allow them to clock the other 7 cores higher, so that instead of 8 cores @ 2.5GHz, we could get 7 cores @ 2.8GHz + 1 core @ 1GHz.
No, this is wrong. Every core will run at the same capacity in a single cluster. ARM processors with different speeds have separate clusters, but within each one, each core runs at the same speed. This appears to be a misunderstood point.

What's the advantage of 1 8core cluster 78C offers over having 2 4Core clusters if they were to go with one of the other A78 variants?

I've read before A78C was designed for gaming, but because it's applicaiton is so sparse i haven't seen much in terms of why and how it would stack up to the x86 cores in the other home consoles.
Lower latency, less cross-talk, lower energy usage, unified cache for all cores, higher area density, etc.

Last edited:
we don't gotta do the return of the king thing gang I was gone for three days

more like return of the court jester
The Raccoon's hands to small to play the kingdoms new plaything
Sad to hear but we have moved on...
In the court of the Crimson King

What do tensor cores allow aside from things like DLSS? I feel like that’s the only feature I hear people talk about but could it help with actual gameplay?
Despite being on this form for a year and a half I can't read it.
Smh, I should work harder not smarter (I am neither)
uU6fYw.gif
I’ve been here since the site launched. What is this restriction?

If so, that could also allow them to clock the other 7 cores higher, so that instead of 8 cores @ 2.5GHz, we could get 7 cores @ 2.8GHz + 1 core @ 1GHz.
I have to say that because of DynamIQ big.LITTLE technology, this is possible.
To overcome this, one of the techniques that big.LITTLE systems rely on is Dynamic Voltage and Frequency Scaling (DVFS) to produce two complementary performance domains that each increase in voltage and frequency in unison. DynamIQ takes this technique a step further by supporting multiple, configurable, performance domains within a single cluster. These domains, consisting of single or multiple Arm CPUs, can scale up and down in performance and power by up to 4x finer granularity than previous Cortex-A quad-core clusters.
Further Reading:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_big.LITTLE

Last edited:
Apple is a fucking piece of shit company that I never wanna buy from. I'm pretty sure they are the reason modern phones lack a headphone jack and other bullshit like the ram limiting stuff. I highly doubt Nintendo would just limit their own hardware like that. They had reasons before but it ain't to upsell more expensive models.

I have to say that because of DynamIQ big.LITTLE technology, this is possible.

Further Reading:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_big.LITTLE
Muji doesn't use big.LITTLE. All the cores are big.

Someone may correct me here, because I'm not completely sure on it, but I don't think it's possible to clock individual cores in a cluster differently than the rest of the cluster. All Muji/Oz/Switch 2/REDACTED cores will run at the same clock speed.

Someone may correct me here, because I'm not completely sure on it, but I don't think it's possible to clock individual cores in a cluster differently than the rest of the cluster. All Muji/Oz/Switch 2/REDACTED cores will run at the same clock speed.
Muji? 🤔

yall gonna be upset when you can read it, lol
It would be funny if a Yamanoi post, of all things, dropped some juicy info hidden behind a post requirement.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

I use DynamIQ big.LITTLE because that's how it is in the original text.and yes,muji doesn't use DynamIQ big.LITTLE.
8787.DynamIQ_2D00_big.LITTLE_2D00_system_2D00_DynamIQ_2D00_system_2D00_content_2D00_1040.png

DynamIQ is an upgraded version of big.LITTLE. Wikipedia does not have a separate page for DynamIQ; it is integrated into the big.LITTLE entry.
I think The function of DynamIQ might be used on Muji, Not all cores will always be fully loaded, so lowering the frequency(and voltage) at these times in one core or more core is a free battery life upgrade.

Last edited:
So few games or game engines this gen tax the CPU that I don't know if it matters very much.

It's like Dragon's Dogma 2 and Baldur's Gate 3 in terms of AAA games 3.5 years in.

If this is like 40-50% of the PS5's CPU, that's great and good enough. Third-party games and ambitious first-party games CPU-wise will run at 30 FPS regardless.

What estimated clock speed would give 40-50% of the PS5's CPU's performance roughly?

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom