• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I don't actually think it'll be October, probably September and it'll replace the usual fall direct.

It's nice that Furukawa takes the March 2015 NX reveal as the thing and not the October 2016 reveal.

Technically, he said "the existence of the Nintendo Switch", which is true; in 2033, when the Switch 3 is announced, they will say the same thing about this announcement.

We won. They finally acknowledged the [REDACTED]. Also Furukawa just logging into the Twitter for the announcement is just great accidental comedy

interestingly (or at most, mildly interesting), the successor information is nowhere to be found on the Investor Relations website (at this exact moment in time) but it is pinned on the Twitter account
firefox-av-Pw2c-Lrpw.png

so I guess if Switch games are still gonna come out into Switch 2's life (It's fair to say some will be announced at the direct), doesn't that pretty strongly imply BC?

We're currently at a point where Nintendo hasn't even officially confirmed that new hardware is coming, with every interview sidestepping the question. They're going to just acknowledge its existence first. Maybe they'll just call it the next generation of Nintendo hardware. Maybe they'll give us the actual name. Maybe they'll say it will release by the end of the next fiscal year. Maybe they keep it vague until later. But regardless, I don't think we aren't going to see the hardware when they do that. They'll wait a little while longer. Bet on it.

I would gladly bet on it. (Not avatars, though, I don't do that. Cash, sure.) When the hardware is announced, it will be a full reveal.

Furukawa tweet counts. I want my $20.

interestingly (or at most, mildly interesting), the successor information is nowhere to be found on the Investor Relations website (at this exact moment in time) but it is pinned on the Twitter account
firefox-av-Pw2c-Lrpw.png
They will be for sure be talking about it at their Investor Call on which we will get notes soon.

Oh that tweet was just sent to me on discord I’ve NEVER gasped so loud in my entire life. 💚 Y’all deserved this mention from Nintendo. Stay nerdy, stay speculating.

pikmin-hug.gif

Can they even do this?
I'm assuming they're all under NDA until Nintendo properly shows off the console.
Square Enix managed to do it before the console even had a name, along with Ubisoft outright saying they would patch M+R Sparks of Hope for the next console, I don't see why they can't.

Can't wait for people start hoping that they will show Switch 2 in June Direct. At multiple Wii U/3DS Directs they said that the NX information will not be present but some people always said it will be there lol

switch 3 when
yall don't understand, I've been planning on posting this at this exact moment since Famiboards was founded. Feeling so fulfilled rn

absolutely no one, myself included, bet on the furukawa tweet

but somehow it also feels at the tier of my most optimistic expectations
It's almost kinda shitposty, isn't it? Like I'm sure Nintendo is aware by now how "This is Miyamoto" is a meme, what if they were in a meeting about how to breach the subject publicly and Furukawa was like "hey you know what'd be funny..."

and people will still be spamming where is the Silksong in the comments
Fixed 👍

Rhetorical question: Why would they continue with the Switch after the Switch 2 comes out? Make it make sense, that's how Mario and Luigi died.
I mean that is what they have done with most past successful consoles...I think several GBA games came out after the DS for example

Wait.. they're announcing the announcement in this fiscal year.. could that mean they're able to release the console even after March 2025?!...

Rhetorical question: Why would they continue with the Switch after the Switch 2 comes out? Make it make sense, that's how Mario and Luigi died.

I think they can extend some games to be cross-gen.
Switch will have the largest install base and w/e sales they can get there it'll be worth.

You know I'm curious if they'll do one last revision :p. Lower the price for additional holiday sales.
Wait.. they're announcing the announcement in this fiscal year.. could that mean they're able to release the console even after March 2025?!...
Yup

I mean that is what they have done with most past successful consoles...I think several GBA games came out after the DS for example
I mean I know. It just, imo, that some games can use the new system launch boost. M&L sure needed it.

I think they can extend some games to be cross-gen.
Switch will have the largest install base and w/e sales they can get there it'll be worth.

You know I'm curious if they'll do one last revision :p. Lower the price for additional holiday sales.
I think we will get the Nintendo select soon.

They are absolutely launching in March 2025. There was really a no need for them to announce the release date, this isn't NX when they were totally fucked up. If it would launch later than March they would not mention it today.

Square Enix managed to do it before the console even had a name, along with Ubisoft outright saying they would patch M+R Sparks of Hope for the next console, I don't see why they can't.
Well, the difference is that it did have a name (NX) and a release window (March 2017) by the time the Sonic and Dragon Quests announcements were made. Right now the Switch 2 has neither. So I don't see this tweet as a sign that Nintendo has authorized third parties to start confirming games for the hardware.

The Switch library won't go anywhere after the Switch 2 released, even if it is backward compatible. There will always be a market for cheaper devices.

While there will be no mention of the successor during the next direct, we can expect to see cross gen titles, no?
I‘m not too sure about it. If they’d have announced a Project Name like NX I‘d have said yes, though right now the next hardware still sounds like a Mystery. Also as long as we have so little info, it could be a quite dangerous move. Imagine they would announce Metroid Prime 4 as crossgen. People would start to cry that Switch 2 has no BC (unlikely even with crossgen, but still) and then Nintendo would need to clarify something they might would not be ready for at that point.

While there will be no mention of the successor during the next direct, we can expect to see cross gen titles, no?
Sure. But they won't be labelled as such, so it will be anyone's guess until they reveal the Switch 2 properly.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom