• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Do you have a source? Nothing came up on google.
Sorry for the late response.

It's a bit of a tricky situation to pick apart, but the closest thing to an official source is the Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition disk ISO. Obviously I can't link to that, but if I'm not mistaken it just has N64 ROMs and software to run them, the games weren't recompiled. Ergo, it's a compatibility layer and not a port situation. I believe this is why Majora's Mask on GCN runs so poorly, the emulation is memory hungry and can't cope with the extra emulated memory it needs.

This also makes a lot of sense when you remember they also developed an N64 emulator for Virtual Console on Wii which shared an architecture. I don't believe I can link you to a functioning Wii Shop Channel either though, sorry.

Would be funny, the game famiboards hate because we thought it was a Switch 2 tease from Pyoro then dominates the whole FY briefing where we thought Switch 2 would dominate.

Haha it would be kinda devastating. Good thing the staff here performed maintenance today!

Do we know who'll be directing the Next smash game?

Also having smash be for a 2025 would be quite fitting, since Splatoon will most likely be skipping a game in the launch year of the switch 2. Also it would give Sakurai a 4-5 year dev time

Like having Mario Kart, Smash and 3D Mario would make for a overkill of a line up.

Summer-Mario Kart
Holiday-Smash
Hmm I could imagine that we will see the next Smash quite late in the life cycle. This time, for Switch 2, it could be that the next Mariokart Game ist the title that accompanies the console for the first 3-4 years.

This would give Smash (and Sakurai) more room to breathe to figure out where to go in future. It would might even allow for Sakurai to do something different for once instead of straight moving forward with the next Smash.

Nintendo dosen‘t need that many titles at the time to generate hype/news for the platform thanks to DLC. After Smash Ultimate ended, MK8 Booster Course Pass continued this role masterfully and this time it could be the other way around.

If the next console has BC, they would still have Ultimate which they could push with having smaller updates (online) and keep having Events. Then they would release the next Game in like 2028 the earliest.

Last edited:
They can easily wait until June's 84th Shareholder Meeting.

looking-so-serious.gif

Hmm I could imagine that we will see the next Smash quite late in the life cycle. For Switch 2 it could be that the next Mariokart Game ist the title that accompany the console for the first 3-4 years.

This would give Smash (and Sakurai) more room to breathe to figure out where to go in future. It would might even allow for Sakurai to do something different for once instead of straight moving forward with the next Smash.

Nintendo dosen‘t need that many titles at the time to generate hype/news for the platform thanks to DLC. After Smash Ultimate ended, MK8 Booster Course Pass continued this role masterfully and this time it could be the other way around.

If the next console has BC, they would still have Ultimate which they could push with having smaller updates (online) and keep having Events. Then they could release the next Smash Game in like late 2027 the earliest.
Would be cool if Sakurai either made a new ip or a kid icarus game.

Are you talking about OOT and MM in the Zelda Collector's Edition? Because those were 100% emulated, using an emulator made by the same guy that went on to develop the emulators for the N64 Wii VC games.

Sorry I missed this initially! But yes, I believe that is the case! I didn't know how much public evidence of it there was other than the nature of the disk ISO, certainly not that it was from the same person behind Wii VC N64. What's the source on that, an interview? Code comments? I'm genuinely curious.

...also thanks for backing me up, my initial research had me thinking I'd lost it.

According to Shareholder Chad, there's more likely to be significant announcements there. It's the annual general shareholder meeting.

Announcements? Sure. Details? Lots. Lots of details and clarifications. The usual cycle was E3 -> Annual shareholders meet and the announcements would be at E3 while the shareholders meet would have details of the announcements, strategy talk, and other cool stuff like that.

With E3 dead, It makes me want to place more significance on the annual meeting of the shareholders in June. I think you guys (overall) are still sleeping on that June meet.

:sneaky:

Do we know who'll be directing the Next smash game?

Also having smash be for a 2025 would be quite fitting, since Splatoon will most likely be skipping a game in the launch year of the switch 2. Also it would give Sakurai a 4-5 year dev time

Like having Mario Kart, Smash and 3D Mario would make for a overkill of a line up.

Summer-Mario Kart
Holiday-Smash
Does Sakurai even have a protégé? Thats the question I have asked.
It's a bit of a tricky situation to pick apart, but the closest thing to an official source is the Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition disk ISO. Obviously I can't link to that, but if I'm not mistaken it just has N64 ROMs and software to run them, the games weren't recompiled. Ergo, it's a compatibility layer and not a port situation. I believe this is why Majora's Mask on GCN runs so poorly, the emulation is memory hungry and can't cope with the extra emulated memory it needs.
Shoot, on 24 MB memory? I am not surprised. I remember trying to play with Project 64 on a computer with that much memory (I think it was 32 MB) it had to be super low resolution or a slide show. Whoever worked on the original VC deserve a hug, kiss, and cookies to get it to work on such small memory.

I am just thinking back and know I am looking now if a GameCube game get a direct port to the Switch, the whole game can fit into memory. Now same will happen with the Wii and some Wii U game for the Switch 2.

Announcements? Sure. Details? Lots. Lots of details and clarifications. The usual cycle was E3 -> Annual shareholders meet and the announcements would be at E3 while the shareholders meet would have details of the announcements, strategy talk, and other cool stuff like that.

With E3 dead, It makes me want to place more significance on the annual meeting of the shareholders in June. I think you guys (overall) are still sleeping on that June meet.

What's the date for the meeting in June?

Would be cool if Sakurai either made a new ip or a kid icarus game.
What would be better is Nintendo causing a storm of letting a bunch of indie and double A studios working on their legacy franchise. If they could manage that. They we can have a game for literally every month for the next 8 years.

Just think, your words have just convinced a bunch of Nintendo YouTubers to make a shit ton of new videos after nothing happens tomorrow pointing people to the June shareholder Q&A event. Now you're playing with power!

What's the date for the meeting in June?

Late June. We should see the exact date tomorrow. (Unless I missed something. I did sell my shares awhile back lol)

Just think, your words have just convinced a bunch of Nintendo YouTubers to make a shit ton of new videos after nothing happens tomorrow pointing people to the June shareholder Q&A event. Now you're playing with power!

lol I've already been asked by a youtuber to provide comments about it in one of the videos. I politely declined.

Didn’t you bet a permaban that this was releasing before July 2024.

Nintendo gives a hardware projection at these meetings. They initially projected selling 15 million Switches for FY 2024, which they recently revised to 15.5 million in February (we will find out the final actual figure tomorrow). That’s what I was referring to. If Nintendo projects a hardware projection greater than 15.5 million for next FY, then that is them essentially confirming they are releasing the next Switch in the next FY.
They don't give a "hardware" projection, they give a "Nintendo Switch unit sales" projection. New hardware is not included in that, and won't have its own unit sales forecast until it's announced and close to release. Regardless of whether they announce/acknowledge hardware at this meeting, it will not get or be included in any hardware forecast in these results.

They don't give a "hardware" projection, they give a "Nintendo Switch unit sales" projection. New hardware is not included in that, and won't have its own unit sales forecast until it's announced and close to release. Regardless of whether they announce/acknowledge hardware at this meeting, it will not get or be included in any hardware forecast in these results.

Okay, but why do this.

Nintendo youtubers are probably starving from having something meaningful to talk about. Like seeing them in my feed repeating ,,this will be the week We'll see the Switch 2''.

Like can't blame them, since we're currently in the transitional period and there's sadly nothing of worth to talk about as of right now.

Nintendo youtubers are probably starving from having something meaningful to talk about. Like seeing them in my feed repeating ,,this will be the week We'll see the Switch 2''.

Like can't blame them, since we're currently in the transitional period and there's sadly nothing of worth to talk about as of right now.

I can definitely say I'm really hungry for news or anything exciting from Nintendo. 😄

Pyoro also teased SW2 7/5/3 which can be translated into Switch 2 7th May, 3 PM

So let's see what all the fuss is about or if the bird made a fool of us
Did Pyoro tease that though? They posted a picture of the NWC cart and internet code-crackers and tealeaves readers decided ‘SW2 37.5’ could be the possible secret message. Then later, we all saw NWC: NES got rated, and Pyoro retweeted their original post adding, “This is literally "Nintendo World Championships: NES Edition" lol.”

I’m not saying it isn’t more, because I have no idea, but I kinda doubt the picture was meant to both “tease” the actual thing in the picture as well as show a secret message.

EDIT: By the time I finally hit submit, this had already been addressed multiple times. Sorry for the rehash!

Last edited:

It's all gaming Youtubers.

Everyone has practically given up on Microsoft at this point, so not many people are actually interested in it.

Sony has nothing going on too, as they have announced that there are no big games for this year. FF 7 R has come out, and it had an undersized impact.

Third parties, there's really nothing that special going on.

Really, Nintendo is the only one to have something interesting this year going on.

Oh, I can blame them.

They “all” post the same clickbait Switch 2 videos everyday.

I've been hearing for 4 years about how investor briefings are the perfect opportunity for Nintendo to acknowledge new iterations/hardware, only to read extensive breakdowns of Furukawa's phrasing to interpret his intention as positive or negative depending on your viewpoint.

We find ourselves in the only investor briefing in which it would make sense for Furukawa to acknowledge the next-gen console, and this is the time when we're doubting? 😭

Disregarding the fact that Nintendo has never produced unit forecasts for unannounced hardware, it doesn't make sense for them to decide to not unveil the Switch 2 while simultaneously giving a "we expect to ship x across all systems" type statement. They only ship 1 platform right now so making a statement that says or implies they will ship 2 different systems next FY is a de facto announcement for some type of new hardware. Might as well just come and say you're releasing new hardware directly at that point.

Nintendo's projection for Switch units sold will not include Switch 2 sales, so I suspect we will be seeing a forecast of 10-12 million Switch units sold for fiscal 2025. The thing to keep an eye on is the forecast for profit and sales revenue. If the sales revenue seems generous compared to expected hardware and software estimates, then it likely includes the next hardware. Switch has been such an enormous success that I can see it selling 3 million units in its first month and a new 3D Mario will have a near 100% attach rate. So even with just a month of Switch 2 hardware and software sales, it could move the needle in a meaningful way.
This is probably the closest way you could divine something in the event they don't announce anything. Even 3 million succ's priced at $399.99 will generate a lot of revenue (but will presumably have low margins). Similarly, if they forecast Switch 1 unit sales declining to 12 million or fewer that's going to be another sizeable shift in revenue in the opposite direction.

Even then there's still the possibility they genuinely believe something else can comp with last year even as Switch 1 hardware continues its decline. Of course that may not be likely, but given how many twists and turns have happened it's probably prudent at this point to be open to alternative explanations.

It's all gaming Youtubers.

Everyone has practically given up on Microsoft at this point, so not many people are actually interested in it.

Sony has nothing going on too, as they have announced that there are no big games for this year. FF 7 R has come out, and it had an undersized impact.

Third parties, there's really nothing that special going on.

Really, Nintendo is the only one to have something interesting this year going on.
oh Sony had ALOT going on recently....it wasn't GOOD stuff but it was definitly stuff

I really don't think we are going to get any valuable information on Nintendo's plans on the next hardware or software from tomorrow's Investor Meeting. I honestly don't think we will get any news at all this month from Nintendo beyond promotional material for Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion 2. Maybe an NSO drop sometime this month but I feel like that will be it.

My guess is a General Direct sometime in June which will detail some new games for the Switch's second half of the year.

I honestly won't be surprised if we don't get any details or really juicy leaks regarding Switch 2 at all this year. If we do it would be late in the year.

I don't know. I think this is just going to be a really lame year for Nintendo fans and Nintendo obviously is dragging out the d Switch as long as possible and they really really really don't want people knowing or thinking anything about the Switch successor. Nintendo wants fans to believe the thing does not exist.

Hey on the bright side it could be worse. Imagine being a Sony fan and barely getting no games at all. Xbox has a few games but I can say none of them appeal to me so Nintendo is still better off in my opinion lol.

Bad year for gaming in my opinion. Hopefully 2025 will be better and all our Nintendo hopes and dreams come true. :)
I can’t agree with that, Nintendo’s the one with basically no big games out or coming out so far.

Yes he did

He could have use any other picture but he did use this one especially to farm engagement surrounding Switch 2 so let's see if there is any substance behind it or if it was just an happy accident/troll

I know almost nothing about NWC other than what was explained to me here - do those NWC carts get made without those DIP switches?

From my limited googling, I wasn't able to find NWC NES carts without those DIP switches.

Yes he did

He could have use any other picture but he did use this one especially to farm engagement surrounding Switch 2 so let's see if there is any substance behind it or if it was just an happy accident/troll

Given there is this ESRB Raiting for something NWC Floating around (The thread I shared as a link for you), I‘d say there is a very high chance that our Bird might have hinted at that rumor.

Given there is this ESRB Raiting for something NWC Floating around (The thread I shared as a link for you), I‘d say there is a very high chance that our Bird might have hinted at that rumor.

Yes he obviously knew about the NWC new game but this is not really a sensational news on its own, now you throw some Switch 2 tease/leak on it then it goes viral

Our bird is smart and know what he is doing

Yes he obviously knew about the NWC new game but this is not really a sensational news on its own, now you throw some Switch 2 tease/leak on it then it goes viral

Our bird is smart and know what he is doing
Yeah they obviously know what they are doing and what reaction they would get with that picture. Though I think it is very likely now that he was trolling a little bit and this tweet means nothing really regarding Switch 2.

Sorry I missed this initially! But yes, I believe that is the case! I didn't know how much public evidence of it there was other than the nature of the disk ISO, certainly not that it was from the same person behind Wii VC N64. What's the source on that, an interview? Code comments? I'm genuinely curious.

...also thanks for backing me up, my initial research had me thinking I'd lost it.

Basically:
Stephen Lee, a software engineer at NoA, built a N64 emulator for Ocarina & Majora's Mask collector's edition on Gamecube that was fine-tuned for those games exclusively. It ran so well most people thought it was a port and not emulation.

Lee and his small team worked on the N64 emulation on the Wii VC; as each N64 games released uses system resources slightly differently, each of the 21 individual games was released with its own unique modified emulator with adjustments made specifically for each game. To this day, the N64 Emulation on the Wii VC stand as the finest N64 Emulation available, even more so than its successors in terms of accuracy and stability.
It's considered the gold standard for official N64 emulation.

Lee left Nintendo in August 2011 after finishing his work on the N64 Wii VC. The Wii U emulator, instead of using unique emulators per game, ran one emulator for every game in the service. The presumed intention was to be able to support a wider variety of games with less effort but the result is blander and overall worse.
Aside from the Dark filter added because of concerns about strobe lights that made the colors look dark and muddy, It also had terrible input lag.

SM3DAS emulator for SM64 is developed by NERD. Enhancement is done using Lua hacks to adjust things like memory behaviors, adding higher quality assets, etc. Input lag is much better than Wii U.
NSO uses the same emulator as SM3DAS, but the results are overall worse. Each game still runs off the same emulator. Each game uses a ridiculous amount of Lua hacks to "fix" unnatural behavior; many fixes don't play nice with each other and cancel each other out or cause even more unnatural behavior.

Yes he did

no...just, no

I know almost nothing about NWC other than what was explained to me here - do those NWC carts get made without those DIP switches?

From my limited googling, I wasn't able to find NWC NES carts without those DIP switches.

The original NWC 1990 carts used the dip switches to set time limits for competition runs. After the ROM was finally dumped, reproduction carts were made. Some like the ones by RetroUSB included dip switches in a different spot on the cartridge. Other repros exist that don't include any dip switches.

Pyoro literally just googled "Nintendo world championships 1990". The second result on GIS is on Super Mario Wiki and has the No. 0260 serial.

I've definitely said something like this before, but I doubt Nintendo has to worry about upsetting investors all that much. Investors are rather fickle as it is and whatever loss in shares there are would be minimal at worst.

Yeah, I think I've given up on an actual full announcement today. It's too late.

Still won't give up on that acknowledgement until the earnings report comes and goes without anything.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom