• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

When was the last time Nintendo revealed/announced new hardware at a FY meeting?

Naw.

The Wii U was trying to offer something different at the time. It was trying to show how it played games differently. Nintendoland spoke directly to that promise/sales pitch.

Nintendo stopped putting games on the Wii in 2011. It was a long dead ecosystem in their eyes.

Nothing is similar here.
The NX/Switch was revealed to be coming March 2017 at one of these meetings

Nintendo stared NX development around 2014 for a 2016 launch window. Why is Nintendo taking a much longer time for Switch 2?

Didn’t we start hearing about a DLSS Switch around early 2021? What happened?
Wii U was abandoned, all development resources were moved to NX, and in 2 years they built a great launch line up.

Switch was supported until the end of 2023, and partially also the beginning of 2024...
They certainly had to divide resources between Switch and its successor, and for this reason they are taking longer to build a launch line up of the necessary level.

One question, may drake's dlss technology belong to 2.0 or 3.0
DLSS is a software update. The newest version can run on anything Turing or better. The exception is frame generation that requires specific hardware from Lovelace.

If it is compatible with any Ampere gpu, that includes Drake.

One question, may drake's dlss technology belong to 2.0 or 3.0
DLSS' number essentially just means the version of the software itself. Your question is more likely asking about Frame Generation, that comes as a feature in 3.0, which itself is something we don't really know (but I believe is fairly unlikely as Frame Gen is mainly limited to Lovelace GPUs that have a higher RT core count).

That said, there's a good chance that the Switch itself will be using Ray-Reconstruction, or "DLSS 3.5", but we'll have to see how it goes.

Really wonder what Nate has to say in the podcast. It should be out today, right?

But also: Nate, if you're reading this, have you ever spoke Pyoro about Switch 2 or Nintendo in general?

Really wonder what Nate has to say in the podcast. It should be out today, right?
I think so, at least he said so and his YouTube playlist has been updated today so I think it's just a matter of hours at this point.
I'm also really curious if he'll just summarize his thoughts on the leaked manufacturer info or if he can contribute some new info as well.

Nintendo stared NX development around 2014 for a 2016 launch window. Why is Nintendo taking a much longer time for Switch 2?

While technically true when referring to the NX codename, the actual system had been in development since around 2011 or 2012, just with a different codename and a very different design goal.

Much like the Miracast in the Wii-U, USB-C is very much new when Nintendo started implementing it thus standards have not been used widely.
It was new, but the defined, other devices that used it where there 2 years prior.
It's a difference when an specification changed, but in this case they implemented it flaky. And it's not a small company or a device that iterates every year.

If I had a penny for every investor meeting people said this..

I woudnt be rich, but I could buy an icecream maybe.

You better save those pennies instead of spending them for icecream, 'cause this time is the time.

(If this post backfires spectacularly, don't remind me please. ._. )

Enough 3rd Party bangers and this will be Nintendo's PS2.
Nah, the ps2 boom was a huge bubble, I've seen data before that the number of people actually buying games for the ps2 has gone down instead of up compared to the ps1, and the first thing Nintendo will make sure of is that the first party games are good enough as well as in plentiful supply.

Nah, the ps2 boom was a huge bubble, I've seen data before that the number of people actually buying games for the ps2 has gone down instead of up compared to the ps1, and the first thing Nintendo will make sure of is that the first party games are good enough as well as in plentiful supply.
dune-dune-part-2.png

Do you feel that since Nintendo has only one console instead of two they want something more performant? Idk, I get the feeling they don't want to come very lackluster performance wise.
I think they'll give the system the hardware to hit their targets. They want to keep getting ports, but they're not going to make a large device with a lot of cooling needs.

If they want games to output a 2160p image, they're gonna need the bandwidth to support that

I wonder if an official announcement would also have insiders/leakers be more willing to share tech stuff.

At the very least thirds should then be able to officially announce or confirm their games for the system then ... that's something already.

Hot take: Javier Bardem's Stilgar is one heck of a running-gag most of the times he's on screen in Dune Part 2.

Dunno if intentional or not, but dude got some good laughs out of me in the movie.

I wonder if an official announcement would also have insiders/leakers be more willing to share tech stuff.

At the very least thirds should then be able to officially announce or confirm their games for the system then ... that's something already.
pretty sure, yeah. At the moment the risk is just too high I think. I hope they announce it soon.

We used to have several PS2 at home, none of the games. It's a glorified DVD player. The console count should be cut by half if you ask me 🤣.

We used to have several PS2 at home, none of the games. It's a glorified DVD player. The console count should be cut by half if you ask me 🤣.
The result of the huge 6th gen bubble that Sony single-handedly concocted was to quickly bury the absolute dominance of Japanese gaming, with consoles playing dvd's > playing games 🤣

Hot take: Javier Bardem's Stilgar is one heck of a running-gag most of the times he's on screen in Dune Part 2.

Dunno if intentional or not, but dude got some good laughs out of me in the movie.
Offtopic but damn, I've yet to watch Dune 2 but kinda dislike the actress that did Chani. She acts like a rock. I'm not convinced.

Nah with Sega going full blast we might finally see a system that rival with the GameCube since that was technically a sequal to the N64.
I just hope that with game budgets ballooning and the industry being how it is we will see a lot of scaled down titles that are actually interesting and Switch 2 is just the perfect place for that stuff. It's more likely we see companies try and hail mary live service bangers though...

Switch has already surpassed PS2. The role of third parties has actually changed, which is also the reason why Switch succeed. As for why the role of third parties changed, take a look at this year's layoffs.

One week to the potential investor QnA word vomit that gives no answers as per usual (We aren't getting anything tangible till October)
One week before disappointment or a Renaissance (we need something, we been talking about magnets for an entire week)

My understanding of rollback is that if you build the game around it from the start then it's easier to add, and patching it into a change after-the-fact it's far more difficult - is that accurate?

yes, rollback (and to an even higher degree, crossplay) gets way easier when you plan for it from the very beginning

I originally wrote "Isn't that exactly O(n^2)?" but once I actually wrote it down on paper, I realized that it's only O(n^2) across the network, right? Like, in 3 player games, the number of frames the whole network has where it needs to resimulate maxes out at n^2, but that's not what the local client needs to do. Am I understanding right?

yes, the local client only ever has to edit its' local input data once per frame to see if there's been any changes, roll back state and resimulate, so it would be O( n ) where n is how many ticks ahead you want to run

I am happy to be completely and thoroughly corrected by someone who knows better than me.

I'm happy to help, I think rollback gets a reputation for complexity from the way people on the internet usually discuss it (which would be in the context of asking for it to be added to an existing game), in reality when you plan for it from the start it is quite straight forward and the only math you need to do beforehand is addition to figure out how many microseconds you can spend.

One week to the potential announcement. (Not reveal.)
If we want to talk "potential", they could "potentially" reveal it in two to three hours, or tomorrow, or Monday, or announce it, potentially, in mid December to make us suffer.

We don't know, we can't know, but technically, yeah, Nintendo has a history of soft announcing systems at investor calls for obvious (financial) reasons, so that day has at least an elevated chance of an announcement.

yes, the local client only ever has to edit its' local input data once per frame to see if there's been any changes, roll back state and resimulate, so it would be O( n ) where n is how many ticks ahead you want to run
It's simple for 2 players since you'll just have to account the possibility of the 2 players. With more than that however, it gets tricky since you now have exponential possibilities. It's like how a lottery with 6 numbers and 49 possibilities per number have millions of outcomes.

Well, the standard lifecycle for HD consoles is 7-8 years, and Nintendo is no different there. Also, there is a pandemic, and one can never understate the impact it’s had across the industry on development, scheduling, logistics, etc., and it isn’t over, no matter how much politicians want to assure us it is. We knew DLSS was highly likely, then RT was a lock-in for the successor as early as 2019 because Nvidia literally told everybody of their intentions. We even heard about Lovelace on the successor in 2021, but most of the rumour mills didn’t see that this was for a successor, and conflated it with “Switch Pro”, which was never a thing for all sorts of practical reasons.

If we want to talk "potential", they could "potentially" reveal it in two to three hours, or tomorrow, or Monday, or announce it, potentially, in mid December to make us suffer.

We don't know, we can't know, but technically, yeah, Nintendo has a history of soft announcing systems at investor calls for obvious (financial) reasons, so that day has at least an elevated chance of an announcement.

See my follow-up post that was an quote-answer to Hermii. ;D

Who says it can't be both?😏

The 10 to 11 months between that certain day and release, in addition to the fact that Switch 1 has to carry the company through this year and through another full holiday period. ^^

Midori claiming every Atlus and Sega remake planned is coming to Switch 2, looks like Sega is going all in on Nintendo's next console.

It really does make me wonder if Sega, Capcom and Square might pivot to the Switch 2 the most.

Like Capcom and Sega are still supporting the PS4, despite it being clinically dead, like I’m excited seeing RE Remake arriving on switch 2, same goes for Sega and atlus, like I’m personally hoping all the Yakuza games will arrive on the Switch 2.

But square Enix is in my opinion the most interesting one, because how heavily they are with the PlayStation brand, but with the recent failure and live of service games, also forspoken, i wouldn’t be surprised if their itching to release their games on the e switch 2 (same goes for PC release’s)

One week to

out-of-control-clown-joker-laughing-moy4lum9pkxzs7qd.gif

Please, this isn't about Silksong.

It really does make me wonder if Sega, Capcom and Square might pivot to the Switch 2 the most.

Like Capcom and Sega are still supporting the PS4, despite it being clinically dead, like I’m excited seeing RE Remake arriving on switch 2, same goes for Sega and atlus, like I’m personally hoping all the Yakuza games will arrive on the Switch 2.

But square Enix is in my opinion the most interesting one, because how heavily they are with the PlayStation brand, but with the recent failure and live of service games, also forspoken, i wouldn’t be surprised if their itching to release their games on the e switch 2 (same goes for PC release’s)

Well, call me optimistic, but i think any japanese third party not being fully on-board day one didn't pay attention to any sales numbers, japanese ones or international ones, for the last 7 years.

Which would be ... kinda shocking if you can operate a business that way.

Isn’t it in a Tuesday?

Well it might be late monday for the US due to time zones?

Technically, PS4 hasn't even been discontinued yet. While individual game services have become less accessible (Tearaway) or inaccessible (Little Big Planet 3), the network for PS4 is still up and running and it still has millions of players.

The 10 to 11 months between that certain day and release, in addition to the fact that Switch 1 has to carry the company through this year and through another full holiday period. ^^
Expected reveal would be in June, right? One month later, if they delay the system in the last weeks of February, they surely can change the reveal trailer date by one month aswell. That's how I see it, tho I do wanna mind that I actually expect little myself.

I assume you think the reveal is in september/oktober like what the current Switch did?

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom