• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

This doesn't explain Samsung's expected growth in OLED panels for game device shipments, unless they're launching with models differentiated by screen technology, which I think is an awful idea and would hate.

I was thinking the same thing, that maybe at launch we see a
:256GB 8" LCD Switch 2 for $400 and a
:512GB 8" OLED Switch 2 for $500.
With a $300 Switch Lite 2 in approximately 2yrs

it just needs to say "HDR". the layperson doesn't even understand the rest

game devices could also mean pc handhelds
I'm not sure what kind of volume these PC handhelds are selling in, but at the moment they aren't as popular as the Steamdeck.

Cheers to @NateDrake for being the first to leak the 8-inch LCD Screen!
Well, I've never doubted Nate before.😏
Nate wasn't the first to leak it, but he was the one to add the important context of WHY nintendo was going back to an LCD screen (to save on costs because other aspects, such as internal storage, are expected to be much more costly this time around).

Nate wasn't the first to leak it, but he was the one to add the important context of WHY nintendo was going back to an LCD screen (to save on costs because other aspects, such as internal storage, are expected to be much more costly this time around).
Well...
That comment made in response to me reporting the 8in screen earlier that day when I expanded on the VGC report with additional details.

Yeah I meant more over the last 3 or 4 years, I know most stuff today is AMOLED or oled.
Even 3 to 4 years all portable display tech advancements have been focused on AMOLED and other oled tech. Other than apples extremely expensive mini led tech and mini led being used on some very high end gaming laptops, it’s more expensive than an oled display in all these cases so it’s pointless.

Nate said he expected 16GB in a YouTube comment.
Interesting. Well I hope so too. Nate is The Man™ and I hope nothing changed between when he heard it and now. I need a machine to play modern Capcom games on and lord knows I ain't touching their steam releases after the DRM crap started.

Helps that pairs of 8GB LPDDR5 RAM wafers are probably being made in such high supply thanks to Steam Deck, ROG Ally, Legion GO, etc.
With the exception of the Steam Deck, these systems are not selling nearly the numbers to affect wafer prices that much. The next Switch will outsell all of them combined in it's first few weeks.

This doesn't bother me. My Switch's screen has always been nice and clear to me, the OLED never felt "must-have-tier" better to me when I played with my cousin's. More interested in the specs of the other parts.
As a SWOLED owner, I think that the games on the SWOLED look unquestionably better than on the OG Switch....but lol games also look better on the OG Steam Deck than they do on the SWOLED due to the power increase.

Nintendo isn't releasing another OG Switch in a different color way, they're launching a much beefier console with a larger, higher resolution screen. The folks claiming an LCD is a downgrade (without seeing it in action) are missing the forest for the trees.

And the dream of a portable console fades away…
zAwGiPT.jpeg

The Wii lacked a (real) digital output. The GameCube had it (and then removed it later in its generation).
The GCN technically has a digital output, but that's sort of just a convenient implementation detail that aftermarket adapters were able to leverage long after the system was EoL. The only things you were ever going to plug into the digital port of a GCN while it was still current was a DAC with the (very analog) component video connectors (or regional equivalent) on the other end.

The GCN technically has a digital output, but that's sort of just a convenient implementation detail that aftermarket adapters were able to leverage long after the system was EoL. The only things you were ever going to plug into the digital port of a GCN while it was still current was a DAC with the (very analog) component video connectors (or regional equivalent) on the other end.
Yeah I know, still it was something that they removed.

Yeah I know, still it was something that they removed.
The video output capabilities of the Wii and GCN are exactly the same. The only difference is that a component was moved from the cable to the main board.

It happens that the GCN setup is convenient in 2024 for unintended reasons, but there was no actual difference in 2006.

And the dream of a portable console fades away…
It's only one inch bigger then the current OLED Switch, still seems portable enough to me.
*pocketable. Pocketable consoles are a thing of the past at this point. But putting a switch 2 into my pockets will be hard af, and I’m pouring one out for all the folks with female style jeans with fake pockets.
The whole pocketable argument is nonsense to me. Handhelds have been my preferred systems since I've first started gaming and I've never carried them in my pockets, even when we had clamshell designs with the GBA SP and DS family. Personally I always had a slim carrying case that usual held just the system and a few games and if I was heading out for the day and took my system with me I would put the case in my bag. Carrying a handheld in a pocket always seemed like an easy way to get it scratched up or damaged if you were to bump into something.

It's only one inch bigger then the current OLED Switch, still seems portable enough to me.

The whole pocketable argument is nonsense to me. Handhelds have been my preferred systems since I've first started gaming and I've never carried them in my pockets, even when we had clamshell designs with the GBA SP and DS family. Personally I always had a slim carrying case that usual held just the system and a few games and if I was heading out for the day and took my system with me I would put the case in my bag. Carrying a handheld in a pocket always seemed like an easy way to get it scratched up or damaged if you were to bump into something.
It‘s not really about pocketability but rather about wheight and comfort. I would never play with a Switch in a Bus or a Train, but rather with a DS or 3DS, which are perfect for that purpose because they‘ve the ideal size and weight and the practical camshell design.

I like the OLED a lot but I'm way more worried the thickness of the tablet lol
I think it's likely to be on 4n, so thickness shouldn't be a concern. Moreover it's still a Nintendo handheld that needs to comfortably sit in kids' hands, it won't be Steam Deck sized, that's just not Nintendo's MO.

The video output capabilities of the Wii and GCN are exactly the same. The only difference is that a component was moved from the cable to the main board.

It happens that the GCN setup is convenient in 2024 for unintended reasons, but there was no actual difference in 2006.
They are the same only anecdotally, the internal DAC on the Wii is inferior output quality wise compared to the one you get using the component cables on GameCube. It's not the same one that was used in the GameCube cables, they are two completely different components, the GC one was basically an off the shelf Macronix DAC and the one on the Wii is custom.

I know people are disappointed with no OLED, but if this thing is going to be as powerful as it possibly can, Nintendo has to cut costs somewhere, and I'm more than fine with them doing so with the screen (we'll get our OLED Switch 2 in a few years anyway).

But what I'm also curious about is, it being bigger than the Switch means they have more room for power, right?

I know people are disappointed with no OLED, but if this thing is going to be as powerful as it possibly can, Nintendo has to cut costs somewhere, and I'm more than fine with them doing so with the screen (we'll get our OLED Switch 2 in a few years anyway).

But what I'm also curious about is, it being bigger than the Switch means they have more room for power, right?
Back in days computers are shrinking, now they‘re getting bigger to have more room for the Schwartz.

Uh. Not really. Power and cost are not pegged to each other very firmly, and T238 on 4N is both very performant and quite affordable for Nintendo. It wouldn't necessitate cutting costs in and of itself.

"Power" is primarily decided by professor design, rather than casing, while a "bigger" but not thicker case wouldn't help much for thermals.

Really the screen's size and specifications were likely chosen for market appeal. People like big screens, what's an 8" 1080pHDR panel we can get that would fit into a sub-$400 BOM? Well, probably easier to do that with LCD.

I understand people who are disappointed that it's not an OLED. Personally, though, I'm fine with an LCD. Hitting other spec targets are a lot more important for me, and if that means not going for OLED then I'm fine with it. We'll see what we get in the end. I found the Switch screen to be quite nice anyway, but that could just be me, of course.

Switch had a significant bezel, so in the end the size difference shouldn't be too large I think.

Uh. Not really. Power and cost are not pegged to each other very firmly, and T238 on 4N is both very performant and quite affordable for Nintendo. It wouldn't necessitate cutting costs in and of itself.

"Power" is primarily decided by professor design, rather than casing, while a "bigger" but not thicker case wouldn't help much for thermals.

Really the screen's size and specifications were likely chosen for market appeal. People like big screens, what's an 8" 1080pHDR panel we can get that would fit into a sub-$400 BOM? Well, probably easier to do that with LCD.

Aw man...

So all this talk about whether the screen is big or small was pointless? :(

They are the same only anecdotally, the internal DAC on the Wii is inferior output quality wise compared to the one you get using the component cables on GameCube. It's not the same one that was used in the GameCube cables, they are two completely different components, the GC one was basically an off the shelf Macronix DAC and the one on the Wii is custom.
The video quality differences between the two mostly comes down to software. The Wii SDK configures the video hardware in a way that's probably incorrect (at least for 480p mode), which results in a quality loss, but this can be undone via homebrew.

Also shout out to my dad who had to buy stronger glasses to be able to read the text on the Switch (Fire Emblem Three Houses, anyone?). Hopefully an 8 inch screen will be more readable for him this time around 😁

Aw man...

So all this talk about whether the screen is big or small was pointless? :(
What it means:

The screen is big or small.
The controllers are bigger or smaller.
The battery is bigger or smaller.

What it doesn't mean:

The processor will be clocked higher.

It's still an interesting subject, it's just not closely related to the matter of performance and the difference in TDP tolerance between a 7" and 8" device is like, real, but not significant.

What it means:

The screen is big or small.
The controllers are bigger or smaller.
The battery is bigger or smaller.

What it doesn't mean:

The processor will be clocked higher.

It's still an interesting subject, it's just not closely related to the matter of performance and the difference in TDP tolerance between a 7" and 8" device is like, real, but not significant.

So what factors will have an effect on the clockspeeds? The screen resolution?

The video quality differences between the two mostly comes down to software. The Wii SDK configures the video hardware in a way that's probably incorrect (at least for 480p mode), which results in a quality loss, but this can be undone via homebrew.
You are probably thinking of the "filter" that Wii games have and that can be removed when launching games from homebrew game launchers.
I am talking about the output hardware that's inferior on the Wii, if that weren't the case there wouldn't be mods like the Wii-Dual.
To visualise what I'm talking about I'll take the examples from RetroRGB's page about this:
GameCubePage02%20-%20large.jpg

GameCubePage03%20-%20large.jpg

You are probably thinking of the "filter" that Wii games have and that can be removed when launching games from homebrew game launchers.
I am talking about the output hardware that's inferior on the Wii, if that weren't the case there wouldn't be mods like the Wii-Dual.
To visualise what I'm talking about I'll take the examples from RetroRGB's page about this:
GameCubePage02%20-%20large.jpg

GameCubePage03%20-%20large.jpg
There's a separate 480p video bug on the Wii related to the Revolution SDK uncovered by Extrems, it has to do with the video encoder hardware. Its still there and generates a low pass filter regardless of if the deflicker filter is on or not. This is fixed by USB loader gx on older Wiis, but newer Wiis are still affected and homebrew devs are working on a fix.

The Wii Dual and other HDMI mods do bypass all of these issues.

In general the GCN does have better quality 480p output by default.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom