• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

"It is likely that the Tegra T239 chip from Nvidia, manufactured using Samsung’s 7LPH process, will be used."

Gross.

The article also say "industry sources" expect Switch 2 to launch as early as 2nd half of this year.

??? That part alone makes me doubt the rest of the article.

Yeah the first two sentences say "is expected" and "It is predicted" but don't divulge any sources who provided that info. Even if it is a general "analysts" or "accessory manufacturers". Waiting and seeing with this.

Connor also posted that information. I wonder if they got that from each other?
This article was published on April 25th, while Connor tweeted them out earlier today from what I can see. Also, from the very little I've read since before today the only Connor I knew about was CDawgVA, Connor themselves seem to be pretty unreliable in terms of properly checking the reliability of their sources.

In any case, if there's one detail I don't believe of that Korean report, regardless of how accurate the rest of it is, it's the part about the release timing; not when multiple sources (including Nikkei) and developers have stated that the system is targeting Q1 2025.

Also not to be a punk but the magnet thing was found in customs data here a long time ago, with "magnetically attaching joycon" being something speculated about in this thread at the time. And the "rounder shape" was something one of the funcles said last year, shared here by a Fami user. So let's be careful about giving ninspider credit for "leaking" this stuff and then believing whatever they say next. Gotta be careful that we don't get so hungry for a "new insider" that we fall for someone who could easily just be skimming and repeating info from this very thread.

Yeah the first two sentences say "is expected" and "It is predicted" but don't divulge any sources who provided that info. Even if it is a general "analysts" or "accessory manufacturers". Waiting and seeing with this.
Whatever it‘s true or not it‘ll be a wild ride. Get your marshmallows ready, the servers‘ll get hot today.

I believe that it is completely possible to use magnets, as long as there is a lock to hold the joycons when they are connected, just as there is a lock on current joycons that you open when you press that button on the back.

Y'all I know we're excited, but as a gentle reminder to everyone to mind the usage of gendered language. Maybe this is more important as a staff notice but given that this is a community of people coming together from all kinds of gender identities and built on mutual respect, let's refrain from referring to us all as boys/lads/bros/men

That being said, a preferred node for increased performance and still a chance for this year is pretty damn sweet for a Friday rumour. I just really, really hope this doesn't launch between November-January. October at the latest, or hold it until February. I don't want to have to fight Black Friday crowds and bots.

Servers = H O T T O G O
The increasing popularity of Chappell Roan continues to grow and I am HERE for it.

Posted on r/GL&R but what the fuck is going on today?

Hmm... the info from this tweet sounds exactly like the one's from Connor's tweet, who is also Korean. Probably the same source. Connor doesn't exactly vet their sources, so consider myself skeptical.

The Korean journal report and Connor's tweet have to have some relation. The article is from 4/25 and Connor's tweet is from 4/26. I guess I should check the time on that report, maybe there's some time zone business going on and Connor in fact tweeted first.

But if Connor is just 'borrowing' from the article, and the article stands on its own...not sure what to think. I'm positive that if they're the one voice saying "2024 still has a shot!" we can safely say they're wrong on that bullet point.

edit: Well, @Atheerios added a new wrinkle right as I posted this. Seems my speculation may be moot. I still think 2024's dead.

Nintendo can do whatever the hell they want, but there aren't massive changes to battery tech,.

If Nintendo wants the same battery life in the same size device, they need the same power draw.
I don't think this is true, smartphone batteries have improved substantially in the last 8 years, my last smartphone was a sub 200 dollar Chinese Android with a 6000mAh battery, and much smaller than a Switch lite in size. 4000mAh was a great battery for 2017, nowadays it's pretty mediocre, especially given the size of the Switch itself.
Today fast charging is also much more common, I can easily see Nintendo leaving the charging port on the outside of the dock to make it easier to take the charger with you this time.

If March 2025 turns out to have been some weird "third-parties that aren't close partners" thing and Nintendo really is releasing this in late 2024, then I'll be greatly impressed and confused by them pulling a 5D Chess With Multiverse Time Travel-level psy-op.

People, that is not the original source for the Korean info

This is:

It comes from the Maeil Business Newspaper. It's a reputable source.
Even if it's a reputable source, I'm still skeptical about the claim that things are "scheduled to be released as early as 2nd half of this year".

What does "according to the industry" even refer to?

Hmm... the info from this tweet sounds exactly like the one's from Connor's tweet, who is also Korean. Probably the same source. Connor doesn't exactly vet their sources, so consider myself skeptical.
Really bring into question if Nintendo will launch the switch 2 this year, because we heard of the rumor of it being delayed by countless rebuttable insiders.

Also the only negative from this article would be the 7LPH process, but I don’t really know if it’s still decent.

Like, man even I don’t know what to think because it would mean Nintendo selected couple of ports to be in a 2024 range, meanwhile the other were told to wait until 2025 if we are to believe this is somewhat true.

This is:

This one has even more "is expected"'s. Is that just how they report stuff? The only thing that's attributed is the "industry sources say as early as second half of '24", which a bunch of other industry sources already told us two months ago that it's been changed. /shrug

This is:

wow what a wild ride the last pages have been, looks like the floodgates are indeed opening. manufacturing must be starting soon...

the Samsung deal theory turns out to be true? RIP TSMC N4, maybe we can get some technical breakdown of what we might expect from that Samsung node, it's not the dreaded 8 (10)nm after all...

wow what a wild ride the last pages have been, looks like the floodgates are indeed opening. manufacturing must be starting soon...

the Samsung deal theory turns out to be true? RIP TSMC N4, maybe we can get some technical breakdown of what we might expect from that Samsung node, it's not the dreaded 8 (10)nm after all...
That is if you believe Switch 2 being released as early as 2nd half of this year to be credible too. Which I think most of us don't find credible, when Nikkei has already reported March 2025 about 2 months ago.

That is if you believe Switch 2 being released as early as 2nd half of this year to be credible too. Which I think most of us don't find credible, when Nikkei has already reported March 2025 about 2 months ago.
that certainly isn't credible (maybe it's presumed because manufacturing it starting soon) so maybe the rest isn't but it's quite specific you have to wonder where a reputable outlet is getting such information if it's false.

The problem with that information is that it mainly ties back to third-party developers. Maybe Nintendo is trying to have a similar "floodgate" approach like with the Switch 1's launch year in September-November.

It's a point built on fibreglass, i'll grant y'all that, but it's something that's possible regardless.

This is:

If they're repeating the 5th gen V-NAND claim, then my assessment is the same; they're just repeating previously reported claims and we shouldn't consider any of them reliable.

This is almost certainly just repeating existing reports with a spin to make it look good for a Korean company. They claim that they'll use Samsung's 5th Gen V-NAND, which comes from Doctre's misreading of a LinkedIn profile the other day. I wouldn't count on any of the other claims being any better informed.
Yeah, this.

This is:

The original source also looks like a sloppy aggregation of rumors. This is not real reporting.

Samsung foundry strikes back.
not the first time that node or some type of Samsung node starting with 7 has been mentioned. rumours it was that or a similar node were circulating a long time back but quickly dismissed.

sounds very possible to me - we already know 8nm may not have been as bad it as seems with Lovelace efficiency improvements (that low-end card on SEC 8nm being quite efficient was a clue) so a slightly better node could work. the economics are obvious and right in-front of us - deal with Samsung to produce most of the components in the new device.

The problem with that information is that it mainly ties back to third-party developers. Maybe Nintendo is trying to have a similar "floodgate" approach like with the Switch 1's launch year in September-November.

It's a point built on fibreglass, i'll grant y'all that, but it's something that's possible regardless.

There’s also those 5th gen VNAND claims that Thraktor is disputing.

Love to see the hype here, but the Korean blog means nothing besides a rumor mill + info already discussed by several other sources (including the node speculation) — they don't have sources on it

Love to see the hype here, but the Korean blog means nothing besides a rumor mill + info already discussed by several other sources (including the node speculation) — they don't have sources on it
Shh, don’t bring them back to reality, I want to see how many users and visitors it takes for the servers to melt./s

What is 7LPH? A Google search just comes up with the Korea article saying T239 is using it, but what is it??
I think when this was previously discussed, when it was alleged last year, it doesn't seem to really exist in an official capacity. So as to what it is or means, if it's real, we may have a hard time figuring out.

What is 7LPH? A Google search just comes up with the Korea article saying T239 is using it, but what is it??
8dd.png

The Korean journal report and Connor's tweet have to have some relation. The article is from 4/25 and Connor's tweet is from 4/26. I guess I should check the time on that report, maybe there's some time zone business going on and Connor in fact tweeted first.

But if Connor is just 'borrowing' from the article, and the article stands on its own...not sure what to think. I'm positive that if they're the one voice saying "2024 still has a shot!" we can safely say they're wrong on that bullet point.

edit: Well, @Atheerios added a new wrinkle right as I posted this. Seems my speculation may be moot. I still think 2024's dead.

pretty safe to say 2024 is dead. but the manufacturing timeline may still be the same for a device launching at the end of this year (ie starting very soon) which is where the confusion is coming from. just a speculation!

until VR have a afordable price and is confortable to use(without giving you dizzyness, motion sickness and hurt your eyesight), will not hit mass market penetration
Quest 2 is now as cheap as Switch Lite. The latter two are more up to individuals and software than hardware at this point, resolutions and frame rates already being very high.
What about electro magnets?
Instead of the console warning you with a message about battery running low, the screen just separates from the Joy-Cons.

I think Nintendo must have shipped the legacy controller as an accessory along with having a new controller in every console generation after the wii, so compatibility with the pro controller seems normal.

pretty safe to say 2024 is dead. but the manufacturing timeline may still be the same for a device launching at the end of this year (ie starting very soon) which is where the confusion is coming from. just a speculation!
Also glossing over some things like how 7LPH node process doesn't exist officially. And the fact that 5th gen V-NAND claim is disputed.

Might as well throw the entire article out.

Pro controllers are compatible with the Switch 2?

That is a huge weight off my shoulders if true. I have so many variants lol
if the improvements to the controllers are purely technological vs functional it will be interesting.

fully expected joycon 2.0 to have some different sort of inputs (the scrolling shoulder thing) and thus a Pro controller 2.0. both can be true though, the old pads can still work but a revised version will be taken advantage of with newer titles.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom