• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Depending on the Joy-Cons, so are the OLED rails. (For clarification: On my Launch OLED, the white Joy-Cons that came with it are a bit wobbly, the Zelda-themed ones are firm and not wobbly)

Still, even wobbly, the controllers are tightly locked to the system, removing them any other way but sliding out means you either damaged the controllers, the rails on the system ... or both. So you could say they're failsafe.

I still can't think of a magnetic connection that is even somewhat failsafe like this.

There must be a way to physically lock them after attaching them. Anything else just screams "Class action lawsuit".
I'm going to go ahead and GUESS that they snap onto the sides of the system with magnets, then slide down into rails with the connector, lock and additional support.

Like so:

image0.gif

Snaps onto the side then you push it down into place.

This would also allow for previous Joy-Con to charge and pair with a console, something I still believe is an absolute must have, though Nintendo could surprise us. It would just be a nasty surprise.

Last edited:
Anyways Eurogamer made their own article retelling Vandal’s info, but re-iterating from their sources that late 2024 was the target, but Nintendo pushed it to early 2025 for software reasons.
I feel like Vandal's article is basically saying the same thing too? From machine-translation to English:

Regarding its possible release date, what the accessory manufacturers say is that Nintendo would already have the console ready to put it on the market, but that they prefer to wait to put it on sale with a more powerful catalog; this would imply that we would not see Switch 2 this year but at the beginning of 2025.

Okay for people a bit confused about the opaque box thing, a friend of mine pointed out another time where Nintendo actually had a box with a secretive device in it. According to the wikipedia page for Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire:
For a prototype controller with which to test the game, they were delivered a modified SNES controller with a primitive analog joystick and Z trigger, designed by Konami. For maximal secrecy under strict nondisclosure agreement, the core team was not allowed to speak to anyone else about the hardware or the project, and the controller prototype was concealed within a cardboard box that the team members could place their hands into

So naturally I had to find a source for this, and after looking through around 50 pages of a LucasArts book that had no information, I found out about Mark Haigh-Hutchinson's article on the topic:
Due to our strict nondisclosure agreement, we were unable to discuss the hardware or the project with anyone outside the core team. Consequently, we would furtively hide the prototype controller in a cardboard box while we used it. In answer to the inevitable questions about what we were doing, we replied jokingly that it was a new type of controller—a bowl of liquid that absorbed your thoughts through your fingertips. Of course, you had to think in Japanese….

So for those concerned about the practice, there's actually a basis to it. What a plot twist.

Yeah I’m aware, just noting that Eurogamer is affirming the release timing + delay from their own sources, not just posting what Vandal said
Ah gotcha.

Yeah, as I read through the Eurogamer article, i was hoping Eurogamer was able to confirm through their own sources that there has been people interacting with device through an opaque box. Instead, for that bit, it's just Eurogamer reporting on Vandal's reporting.

Curious if any other outlets would come forward to confirm Vandal's reporting, now that Vandal has reported it.

Ah gotcha.

Yeah, as I read through the Eurogamer article, i was hoping Eurogamer was able to confirm through their own sources that there has been people interacting with device through an opaque box. Instead, for that bit, it's just Eurogamer reporting on Vandal's reporting.

Curious if any other outlets would come forward to confirm Vandal's reporting, now that Vandal has reported it.

Dunno, last times (the delay rumor and the Gamescom 2023 stuff) had quite a few outlets publishing their own stuff with info from their own sources.

With Eurogamer only reporting about the Vandal leak without having their own sources on it too might point to the info being limited to Vandal.

Of course it‘s magnets!
We don‘t know for sure yet of course but that definitely sounds like the Nintendo gimmick everyone was wondering about.
In theory it could give the Switch more potential ways „to switch“, not to mention the controllers might just attach to each other eliminating the need for including a Joy Con Grip in the box.

I‘m sure Nintendo would come up with very creative ways to make use of magnets if they really want to. It might also just be a better solution than the rails and that‘s all there is to it.

I don't believe the report as real info at this time, but I would be interested in someone actually doing analysis on what kind of attachment, and how strong the magnets would have to be, to make this feasible. The Switch is larger and heavier than this thing that was posted earlier, and the new console will be bigger and heavier still. How will it work if I'm holding it by one side, and if there's torque? What if I'm a little kid holding it and bouncing up and down?

My gut reaction is that's it's questionable whether this could be done practically and up to the standards and lifetime scenarios Nintendo needs. But that's just a feeling, so I could be convinced otherwise. Someone with a 3D printer and some design experience should get on it.

I feel like Vandal's article is basically saying the same thing too? From machine-translation to English:

Regarding its possible release date, what the accessory manufacturers say is that Nintendo would already have the console ready to put it on the market, but that they prefer to wait to put it on sale with a more powerful catalog; this would imply that we would not see Switch 2 this year but at the beginning of 2025.
But this is obviously not something accessory manufacturers would have any idea about, which reinforces to me how much of this outlet's reporting is based on prior speculation and rumors, even when they present it as sourced info, which you can also see in the OLED report linked earlier (not to mention the entire section in this one where they just uncritically rattle off links to other unverified rumors in a news roundup format).

I don't believe the report as real info at this time, but I would be interested in someone actually doing analysis on what kind of attachment, and how strong the magnets would have to be, to make this feasible. The Switch is larger and heavier than this thing that was posted earlier, and the new console will be bigger and heavier still. How will it work if I'm holding it by one side, and if there's torque? What if I'm a little kid holding it and bouncing up and down?
As I shared earlier, assuming magnets thing is true, I'm skeptical magnets are the only thing keeping the controllers attached. Who's to say the magnetic parts is not only one part of the attaching setup - maybe there's still a rails, guideline, or something to keep controller locked in place?

I have a hard time imagining this working with only magnets and nothing else in the picture.

I have a question: what prevents Nintendo from using more power on Switch 2?
Nintendo can do whatever the hell they want, but there aren't massive changes to battery tech, and the physics of heat haven't changed either.

If Nintendo wants the same battery life in the same size device, they need the same power draw.

The general assumption is that the launch Switch's battery life is lower than Nintendo wanted, but was a consequence of an off-the-shelf chip built for laptops. That matches Nintendo's behavior at the time: they aggressively downclocked handheld and then had to backtrack very close to launch in order to get ports (including Zelda) working and they quickly shrunk the chip.

If the Switch's launch battery life wasn't good enough, and Nintendo is designing this chip from scratch (so unlikely to have more than a sub node improvement), Nintendo will either have to make the device bigger, or drop power draw.

Similar for heat. There is new tech for heat management, but that only addresses one half of the equation - how do you move heat fast enough to protect the chip. A vapour chamber is good at protecting the chip, but it still makes the heat still has to go somewhere. For a totally stationary console, put a big vent in. For a phone, heat up the backplate, and trust no one will run it at high speeds long enough to get uncomfortably hot. For a handheld that needs to support a docked experience, that you expect children to be using, your options become more limited.

If Nintendo gets good battery life and ergonomics with a higher power draw (and thus more performance), I'll be happy, but I think to keep ourselves sane, we really have to imagine the launch Switch's power draw as a ceiling, not a floor.

My gut reaction is that's it's questionable whether this could be done practically and up to the standards and lifetime scenarios Nintendo needs. But that's just a feeling, so I could be convinced otherwise. Someone with a 3D printer and some design experience should get on it.

But this is obviously not something accessory manufacturers would have any idea about, which reinforces to me how much of this outlet's reporting is based on prior speculation and rumors, even when they present it as sourced info, which you can also see in the OLED report linked earlier (not to mention the entire section in this one where they just uncritically rattle off links to other unverified rumors in a news roundup format).
On the topic of other rumours being brought up, that's specifically on Vandal's radio which is based on the original source for the latest rumours: the most recent episode of the Vandal Radio podcast, which is available here - https://vandalradio.podbean.com/e/v...va-sobre-switch-2-stellar-blade-topspin-2k25/

That's where Rubén Mercado talked about his latest findings. The Vandal article (https://vandal.elespanol.com/notici...s-detalles-de-la-proxima-consola-de-nintendo/) which features a transcription / summary of what he said, is written by a different person so the references to the other unsourced rumours are on them, not on Rubén.

As I shared earlier, assuming magnets thing is true, I'm skeptical magnets are the only thing keeping the controllers attached. Who's to say the magnetic parts is not only one part of the attaching setup - maybe there's still a rails, guideline, or something to keep controller locked in place?

I have a hard time imagining this working with only magnets and nothing else in the picture.
I mean, yeah, I'm sure it would be impossible for the magnet to support the entire weight of the console perpendicularly to its holding force, without it using a hazardously strong magnet. Some part of the Joy-con would have to nest inside the console body, like it does today. But I imagine the point of using a magnet in the first place is that you don't have to line up any attachments points, the magnet should guide them together, and you don't need any latches or release buttons. So in that context is how I'm wondering what combination of simplicity and safety exists for Nintendo to make such an attachment.

Okay for people a bit confused about the opaque box thing, a friend of mine pointed out another time where Nintendo actually had a box with a secretive device in it. According to the wikipedia page for Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire:

So naturally I had to find a source for this, and after looking through around 50 pages of a LucasArts book that had no information, I found out about Mark Haigh-Hutchinson's article on the topic:

So for those concerned about the practice, there's actually a basis to it. What a plot twist.
Just chiming in that this a fairly standard practice in the tech industry & only seems weird since it is rarely reported on.

Dunno, last times (the delay rumor and the Gamescom 2023 stuff) had quite a few outlets publishing their own stuff with info from their own sources.

With Eurogamer only reporting about the Vandal leak without having their own sources on it too might point to the info being limited to Vandal.

Vandal mentions that their guy was at 'a fair' where he spoke with these manufacturers. So that sounds like the info was given firsthand. Makes it hard to corroborate, especially so quickly. Though maybe not impossible to figure out when and where these discussions took place.

Vandal mentions that their guy was at 'a fair' where he spoke with these manufacturers. So that sounds like the info was given firsthand. Makes it hard to corroborate, especially so quickly. Though maybe not impossible to figure out when and where these discussions took place.
Another note is that this is in Spain, where the switch has grown quite significantly in popularity.

So I wouldn’t be surprised the reasons they couldn’t collaborate is because it’s two different countries and manufacturers.

Surprisingly, this is common practice in many industries. Pretty sure Nintendo themselves have done it before
I've heard of this being done before, but I don't recall a time in the past when reports stated Nintendo did the same thing. Or... it just wasn't news-worthy enough to report. Switch is in it's 8th year and Nintendo hasn't said a single thing about the successor, so any little news is food to feast upon.

I've heard of this being done before, but I don't recall a time in the past when reports stated Nintendo did the same thing. Or... it just wasn't news-worthy enough to report. Switch is in it's 8th year and Nintendo hasn't said a single thing about it, so any little news is food to feast upon.

Old man half-knowledge here: I think i've heared something similar like this ages ago when i was still fresh on the interwebs that Nintendo did something like this for the N64 controller.

I've heard of this being done before, but I don't recall a time in the past when reports stated Nintendo did the same thing. Or... it just wasn't news-worthy enough to report. Switch is in it's 8th year and Nintendo hasn't said a single thing about it, so any little news is food to feast upon.
That was kind of the reason why I went on a mini-rabbit hole of discovery. We at least have an instance of Nintendo hiding stuff before the final release of a system using a box. Granted both use cases were different, one was used privately in a company while the other was at an event, and the example I brought up was a 90s game controller prototype that was brought up a long time after the fact, but like... again, you're right. Scraps are steaks to us. What desperation does to a man.

Old man half-knowledge here: I think i've heared something similar like this ages ago when i was still fresh on the interwebs that Nintendo did something like this for the N64 controller.
I brought this up earlier this page, yeah they did it for an N64 Prototype for LucasArts:

That would make perfect sense considering how unique and different the controller was.

Not sure the point of switching over to magnets instead of rails. Are there any mechanical or failure point minimizing or cost reduction benefits to only magnets?
The Rails do wear out, yes, I'm actually procrastinating on getting mine fixed, and that's on OLED Model, so it's not even been three years yet. Magnets sound like a good idea to me, not on their own, but in addition to rails. It means three things:

The Rails have less pressure on them, they don't have to take all the weight, and so they should last a lot longer.

The controllers are more stable, kept in place by Rails, then wobbling counteracted by magnets. They can also be used to make sure the edge connectors are lined up and touching.

Using a Rail and magnets rather than the "insert" method of the PiMax Portal, means more internal space but with the same advantages.

Additionally, maintaining at least part of the Rail system, old Joy-Con can pair and charge. Kind of important if they're compatible as wireless controllers.

Are magnets Nintendo's answer to make the joycons better/more durable on Switch 2? If so, what would magnets improve over the Switch rail attachement?

Magnets strong enough to attach to and securely bind the entire weight of the console (i.e. would need to be significantly stronger than MagSafe) sounds like a recipe for disaster with people injuring themselves by pinching themselves, risk for people with pacemakers, etc. I’d guess that the magnets are just to help assist with a more traditional rail lock like Switch 1.

I could see Nintendo switching over from rails maybe as just a way to have a clean break from the 1.0 joycons if they add more buttons and stuff?

nspider said more buttons and he has gone from like a 1% chance of being reliable to like 25%.

But that doesn't match at all with the "Pro controller will work on the Switch 2"

Maybe the Pro controller will only work for back compatible games and certain Switch 2 games?

I would like more buttons, of course, I love games to be as mechanically dense as possible without introducing tons of menus etc.

Despite some people claiming it is aiming for a march 25 launch, I am still skeptical.
A reveal in the next calender year and launch in the next fiscal year seems so much less hassle:
-no half-baked investors meeting announcements
-no conflicting marketing with current Switch 1 hardware and software, particularly during the holiday
-more time for 3rd parties to finish their projects

Despite some people claiming it is aiming for a march 25 launch, I am still skeptical.
A reveal in the next calender year and launch in the next fiscal year seems so much less hassle:
-no conflicting marketing with current Switch 1 hardware and software, particularly during the holiday

For there to be conflicting marketing with the Switch 1 software, Nintendo would have to announce significant Switch 1 software.

Magnets strong enough to attach to and securely bind the entire weight of the console (i.e. would need to be significantly stronger than MagSafe) sounds like a recipe for disaster with people injuring themselves by pinching themselves, risk for people with pacemakers, etc. I’d guess that the magnets are just to help assist with a more traditional rail lock like Switch 1.
The report says it uses magnets instead of a rail. I'm not buying the report as factual at present, but indeed it seems to me there'd be no point in using magnets if the attachment was fundamentally similar to the current rail, and even if there was some auxiliary magnet added to tweak the experience, that would be a pretty irrelevant internal detail that wouldn't make its way into this kind of reporting (if the reporting was true).

I could see Nintendo switching over from rails maybe as just a way to have a clean break from the 1.0 joycons if they add more buttons and stuff?

nspider said more buttons and he has gone from like a 1% chance of being reliable to like 25%.

But that doesn't match at all with the "Pro controller will work on the Switch 2"

Maybe the Pro controller will only work for back compatible games and certain Switch 2 games?

I would like more buttons, of course, I love games to be as mechanically dense as possible without introducing tons of menus etc.
Maybe he was right, but we couldn’t see it
spiderman-jj-jameson.gif

Also the Wii U had backward compatibility with the Wii controller, but some games didn’t work, because of the game pad.

We might see some game covers include
,, compatible with the pro controller’’

"A reveal in the next calendar year and launch in the next fiscal year seems so much less hassle"

You could say that for any given year. Why not just release it in 2027, or 2028, or 2029, etc?

The new fiscal year had literally just begun.. this month.

Also not sure what you mean about half-baked investor meeting announcements. If there is any announcement, it is going to be pretty mundane anyway, just a mention "we are releasing the new hardware", nothing more. Like they have done with Switch 1. That's assuming they even say anything.

So I don't know how one could possibly "half-bake" such a mundane mention in an investor meeting.

Of course Nintendo would do things backwards, it is you can look but not touch Nintendo, not you can touch but not look 🤪
Aside from "because nintendo".
Nintendo are not the only ones to do this, this is done usually when showing a product before release to non "close" partners, to avoid leaks.

was wondering why so many posts all of a sudden. Guess this is what I get for sleeping late
One slightly eventful thing after around 3 months of dead silence, not really surprising that people got excited over something that could potential or might not actually "something".

Same way backwards compatibility with controllers on Wii, I imagine, games can pick and choose their compatible controllers, but with a mandate of the pack-in controllers being compatible.

We have plenty of third party options on Switch without every input available, after all, and if the extra buttons are system related, I imagine you could access that feayure via software interface on the Home Screen or Quick Home overlay, like Xbox.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom