• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Nintendo Magnetch

Nintendo Magnesis
Who knew BotW would influence the next Switch...

MagnesisPlate.jpg

Excellent that we are starting to have these kind of leaks.

A spec leak I think is very likely in a few months. As I sale before, probably after the system is formally announced.

Please refrain from posting NSFW jokes and/or terminology. - meatbag, Party Sklar, Zellia, BassForever
Nintendo opts for the glory hole approach for the switch 2.

Leaks are going to start pouring out soon if Nintendo doesn’t reveal it themselves

I did and maybe i lost it, but the more recent news seem about some the magnetic staff, confirmation on Nintendo using good tecnology and some partners confirmed to have "seen" the console
There was also one leaker who habitually does not vet sources saying it's coming later this year. That's basically everything new in the past two months.

So… how is the magnets when it comes to the consoles and PC scene.

Like, having magnets would be cool and have the usual Nintendo innovations stands, since I’m still impressed how the DS had touch screen functionality before any of the competitors. Some would say ahead of it time.

like what else could these magnets do?

It is kinda weird though, right? I mean, it's not like these manufactures can Stat making accessories without exact dimensions.
I’ve heard someone mention that they did the same thing for the N64. Don’t know if it’s true, but it’s hilarious thinking about touching a N64 controller, despite it being a monstrosity.

I think an official document with those exact dimensions is enough, you don't need to see it in this case, right?
If such a document exists, I hope that info makes it way to Fami circles (here).

That way we can start lining things up with dimensions seen in customs data. I have a feeling a lot of things would line up with what we have seen.

The Apple Pencil-iPad magnet thing works well. I’m sure Nintendo had a looot of quality control over the magnet Joycons.

Or they don’t care and if a Joycon falls off and breaks or go missing, they’ll have customers buying new ones.

What I’m worried is that the magnets could be the new Drift: they won’t stick as firmly aa time passes on

Well, i think nVidia must've done some very strange fuck-up if the system could be jailbroken via magnets? And this setup is of course more expensive than plastic rails on the console and the Joy-Cons.

About the yen ... does anything even guarantee the Yen will be stronger in early 2025? With how limited my knowledge is about the topic, it's just as likely the Yen is as weak or even weaker by that time, no?

The Japanese government usually intervenes when it gets bad enough by manipulating their own currency. The mechanism is very complicated so I won’t get into it but it’s something they do regularly and it’s “tolerated” lol.

The real fear is when those mechanisms don’t work and it keeps plummeting. Make no mistake the worst case scenario WILL make Nintendo delay the switch 2 further than 2025 BUT id put that low odds. It’s just something to watch is all.

Overall I’d bet the yen situation to be much better in 2025 than now.

I can’t wait for May 7 to come so Nintendo has once again another possibility to at least mention this thing and let us fall of a cliff in our collective misery if something dosen‘t turn out how we expect it.
Fixed

It's very likely that they will just announce it by that day/time. Not reveal.
I meant reveal as in confirm its existence in a press release, like what happened with the 3DS. I’m guessing a full reveal like the January 2017 Switch presentation won’t happen until either June or September/October.

I’m gonna be honest, the switch attach name can work if the advertising is clear and not an add on for the vanilla switch.

Like the Wii U name would have worked if they made better advertising and not talk like the game pad was an add on.

But with the success of botw I can see Nintendo showcasing its software more for the NG switch.

If Nintendo is so keen on not doing the same mistakes as with Wii U, they definitely won't call it "Switch Attach".

Either just Attach or something else then.

But Switch Attach is enough to have people think if this might be a Switch accessory.

Yeah, I get that 'Attach' would make sense, but it does make it seem like it's just another Switch but with different joy-cons.

Not sure why Nintendo would force themselves to spend additional time and effort in the advertising to make sure people realize it's also a more powerful Switch, when putting a big honking 2 on the box is nice and easy.

It does make me wonder though, if there's any legitness to the Attach name, if they've come up with a bunch of funky things/gimmick accessories that attach to the tablet part beyond the Joy-Cons. Things that maybe weren't feasible when it was just plastic rails. Or maybe the hardware wasn't powerful enough for what they dreamed up. Or software wasn't developed enough. It would definitely be a differentiating thing, making it more than a straight power boost.

But you can promote all that and still call it Switch 2.

2 months.

And uh, nothing? No one was really saying much before, but then when one change happened, it came out. If there are no changes, it will stay quiet. People will keep working on games. Any people that do know things but have chosen not to share, have no reason to change their minds and start yapping - no matter how desperate people get.

the very next page new shit

Love being wrong. My streak is unbroken.

Last edited:
If the Joy-Cons attach via magnets wouldn’t that mean they’re probably not going to use Hall Sensors, because those use magnets too?

TL;DR: It most likely is smaller in 2 dimensions, but 7.9" means roughly tied in height.

Well, it could also be shorter, but it would need to be almost bezel-less for that to happen. Which would be very cool.

Assuming TSMC 4N is more expensive is a fallacy/myth. Just because it's a newer node doesn't mean it's more expensive.

Nintendo/Nvidia might have opted for TSMC 4N because they get more. There was an article saying at a point TSMC 4N is 2.2x more expensive than 8N, but 2.8x more denser.

This is not to say TSMC 4N has always made economical sense compared to SEC8N, but to automatically assume TSMC 4N is more expensive because it's a newer node is not really examining the full picture.

Significantly longer than SEC8N for sure, if that's the node process nvidia/Nintendo ends up using for T239. TSMC 4N draws less power compared to 8N.

Plus, if it's possible for them to switch to that just-announced N4C node later on, that would let them save even more money.

I believe naming this console Switch 2 will limit its sales potential. If Nintendo wants to reach the same level of success again, they'll have to revolutionize, not iterate
Well, if there is some revolutionary concept that noone has yet to hear even a whisper of, I think everyone would expect the name to be related to that.

But everything we heard points in the direction of an iteration.

Well, if there is some revolutionary concept that noone has yet to hear even a whisper of, I think everyone would expect the name to be related to that.

But everything we heard points in the direction of an iteration.
Nintendo Switch Iteration. Coming March 2025!

I think this outlet's credibility is being exaggerated.

It’s a Spanish website that talks about gaming news.

Like I think when it comes to manufacturing they are quite reliable, since they were pretty spot on with the switch Oled.
Vandal's reporting on the Switch OLED was spot on
Here’s some guy on Reddit mentioning it
They reported in May of 2021:

• ⁠larger OLED screen thanks to thinner bezels (true)
• ⁠new Surface-style stand (true)
• ⁠new dock with USB 3.0 ports and ethernet port (true)
• ⁠launch in late november (1 month off)
The USB ports on the OLED dock are 2.0, same as the old dock, not 3.0. This article also says that they can confirm it will output in 4K when connected to a TV. And nobody try to hit me with any "but actually the HDMI version," the OLED can't output 4K and this is a blatantly untrue detail being posted hardly more than a month before the console's reveal.

I would say the only details they got right are the stand and the Ethernet port, though it should be noted that both were common topics of speculation and wishlists. But even if that was real sourced info, it was mixed in with a significant amount of inaccuracy.

For the uninitiated. 10 minutes of Halo 4's multiplayer mode leaked a couple months before the game launched, and it was all shot on a potato and played in a barn. Nobody thought it was real.

Then the game came out.
This is among the S-tier leaks. The ones that absolutely shouldn't be correct or accurate by any stretch, but are and we're thankful for them.

Scratching my head to remember other S-tiers would be stuff like the Nintendo Gigaleak "L is Real" debate, Shulk = Little Mac, the Bethesda Rehearsal leak, and the lasting consequences of the Half Life 2(003)/CS:Source leak. Absolutely amazing stuff.

So… how is the magnets when it comes to the consoles and PC scene.

Like, having magnets would be cool and have the usual Nintendo innovations stands, since I’m still impressed how the DS had touch screen functionality before any of the competitors. Some would say ahead of it time.

like what else could these magnets do?
Apple has been using magnets for years. From their magsafe charger, to now a giant round magnet on the back of the phone. My wife trusts her magnet to hold her phone steady in a moving car. So magnets are pretty great. They also use it for charging, and to transmit data.

As far as gaming functionality, it probably could snap on to all sorts of accessories. But we could already do that with things like the ring fit ring.

Feels good to have something after months of pretty much nothing. I'm interested to see if this is just the start, and more information will follow shortly.

I believe naming this console Switch 2 will limit its sales potential. If Nintendo wants to reach the same level of success again, they'll have to revolutionize, not iterate
it’s not like the PS2 did really well or anything

Anyways Eurogamer made their own article retelling Vandal’s info, but re-iterating from their sources that late 2024 was the target, but Nintendo pushed it to early 2025 for software reasons.

Apple has been using magnets for years. From their magsafe charger, to now a giant round magnet on the back of the phone. My wife trusts her magnet to hold her phone steady in a moving car. So magnets are pretty great. They also use it for charging, and to transmit data.

As far as gaming functionality, it probably could snap on to all sorts of accessories. But we could already do that with things like the ring fit ring.
I miss the Magsafe port in older Macbook Pro laptops. If someone trips over my charging cable, it safely detaches the magnetic end of the charging cable, no biggie.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom