• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Dunno if i can believe that (at least going by shitty Chrome auto-translate).

Having the new Joy-Cons connect to the console simply by a magnet mechanism, without anything to lock them to the console like the rails on Switch 1 did, sounds extremely prone for failure, especially in the hands of kids.
some time ago, Nintendo has patented a technology for a smart fluid joystick, perhaps some of this technology was used for this magnetic field, Nintendo will use to connect it next console controllers

The report says it uses magnets instead of a rail. I'm not buying the report as factual at present, but indeed it seems to me there'd be no point in using magnets if the attachment was fundamentally similar to the current rail, and even if there was some auxiliary magnet added to tweak the experience, that would be a pretty irrelevant internal detail that wouldn't make its way into this kind of reporting (if the reporting was true).
R.635dd52a4a300a92f5b4340a05644351

While the current joycons are in need of a redesign, magnets alone wouldn't be very secure. That's asking for broken consoles and/or pinched fingers. If that turns out to be true, I imagine there is still more to the story.

Like, perhaps they could still have a sort of rail, but now they're held into position by strong magnets instead of a physical tab that requires manual activation to remove them (which were always a bit fiddly), just a smooth slide in. I know the article says "instead of rails" but it's easy for things to get lost in the game of telephone, especially when nobody was even allowed to look inside the box.

Whatever it is, there's gotta be some extra wrinkle to this attachment method (if true).

Plot twist:
• Remember when some insiders thought the Joycons were gone and the Switch 2 wasn’t gonna have detachable controllers? Well, what if, besides magnets, the successor has a shell where you insert the Joycons after magnetically attaching them?

And this is why everyone thought the Switch 2 had not detachable controllers: they were inside the shells

i hope that since Nintendo are trying to get the manufacturers familiar with the dimensions leads more credence to an announcement on or by May 7th

Plot twist:
• Remember when some insiders thought the Joycons were gone and the Switch 2 wasn’t gonna have detachable controllers? Well, what if, besides magnets, the successor has a shell where you insert the Joycons after magnetically attaching them?

And this is why everyone thought the Switch 2 had not detachable controllers: they were inside the shells

Sounds like a hassle, and honestly too expensive for Nintendo to put in every ReDraketed box.

Did he mention anything else as well? Or just the control and extra button.

Round. Everything was round.

;D

Since the rumor says pro controller seems backwards compatible, do you guys think it's more likely Nintendo is willing to sell a home only console with the same SOC but make users have to buy their own controller separately or use their older ones, allowing them to sell the console for $299? This would allow Nintendo to sell you a next-gen Nintendo system for a cheaper price than the Switch OLED, which would be a huge value and marketing play. Especially after you see all of the exclusive games to this new switch when compared to Switch 1 and then at the end Nintendo drops the $299 price bomb.

Nintendo NeX Home -$299 (no controller)-2025/2026-Mario Kart or Smash Launch
Nintendo NeX Switch-$399 hybrid-2025
NIntendo NeX Lite-$299 handheld only-2027-Animal Crossing Launch

Sounds more and more like the controllers on the Lenovo legion Go. Those connect via magnets too.
Just in case anyone is interested in what it looks like in action, I went to look this up.

Edit: Actually, perhaps not the best video, this doesn't show anything magnetically attaching itself to main unit. Looking for better clip.

Last edited:
I find it weird that the mentioned accessories manufacturers would get physical access and cad specs almost a year before the release, it doesn't take a year to concept and manufacture a woven or plastic shield case

Usually when Apple accessories manufacturers leak details about the new iPhone, it's couple months before the launch

Could be some hopium, but maybe it's releasing end of the year after all

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned this yet, so maybe I'm the one misremembering. but wasn't there an interview about the switch development that said that early on the joycons were supposed to snap to the switch with magnets, (even the switch click was inspired by the sound of the joycons snapping on) but was scrapped due to a lack of sturdiness in the connection, i suppose Nintendo never abandoned the concept and they finally got it right

Plot twist:

I don't think this is as insane as it sounds, but I think it's way, way more likely that they simply saw or heard about a development kit where the attachment point wasn't finalised, or it was in a case for security reasons.

Just in case anyone is interested in what it looks like in action, I went to look this up.

Edit: Actually, perhaps not the best video, this doesn't show anything magnetically attaching itself to main unit. Looking for better clip.

Wow, I absolutely DESPISE that video.

Legion Go uses a friction fit rail, if I'm not mistaken. The sticks are Hall Effect, strong side magnets would interfere, no?

Last edited:
Posted on r/GL&R but what the fuck is going on today?

Beat me to it lol

Here is the TLDR
  • Switch 2 is expected to launch as early as the second half of this year
  • Suppliers have reportedly reached a considerable degree of agreement for initial production contracts.
  • Samsung Foundry will fabricate the SoC on Samsung's 7LPH process node
  • Samsung will provide the NAND storage for both the cartridges and internal memory
  • Samsung has overcome competitors from China to be the display supplier

According to industry sources on April 24, the Nintendo Switch 2 is expected to launch as early as the second half of this year. In fact, the parts industry has reportedly reached a considerable degree of agreement for initial production contracts.

What is happening...the floodgates are opening.

While the current joycons are in need of a redesign, magnets alone wouldn't be very secure. That's asking for broken consoles and/or pinched fingers. If that turns out to be true, I imagine there is still more to the story.

Like, perhaps they could still have a sort of rail, but now they're held into position by strong magnets instead of a physical tab that requires manual activation to remove them (which were always a bit fiddly), just a smooth slide in. I know the article says "instead of rails" but it's easy for things to get lost in the game of telephone, especially when nobody was even allowed to look inside the box.

Whatever it is, there's gotta be some extra wrinkle to this attachment method (if true).
They could be electro magnets. They won't attach without a charge.

"It is likely that the Tegra T239 chip from Nvidia, manufactured using Samsung’s 7LPH process, will be used."

Gross.

The article also say "industry sources" expect Switch 2 to launch as early as 2nd half of this year.

??? That part alone makes me doubt the rest of the article.

For those curious, there’s an android handheld on the market now that has the exact same style of magnetic joycons and it works pretty well:

I’ve had a pimax before and it works just fine, even lacks the “wobble” you get from the usual joycon rails. There’s more videos on YouTube of how it works and you can see people holding the entire handheld with just one side and it’s relatively easy to detach as well.

OK, this thing is AWESOME

This is almost certainly just repeating existing reports with a spin to make it look good for a Korean company. They claim that they'll use Samsung's 5th Gen V-NAND, which comes from Doctre's misreading of a LinkedIn profile the other day. I wouldn't count on any of the other claims being any better informed.

Oh boy, i sense team building already ... Team Vandal which implies 4whatever and 2025, and team Korea news site with 8whatever and 2024.

well now I'm even more confused that it apparently is NOT being delayed?

I give up

Unless more outlets come and confirm that Korean stuff, i would hold it less viable as it goes directly against the delay rumors that actually have quite a few outlets reporting from their own sources (aka not from one source only).

I think this outlet's credibility is being exaggerated.

The USB ports on the OLED dock are 2.0, same as the old dock, not 3.0. This article also says that they can confirm it will output in 4K when connected to a TV. And nobody try to hit me with any "but actually the HDMI version," the OLED can't output 4K and this is a blatantly untrue detail being posted hardly more than a month before the console's reveal.

I would say the only details they got right are the stand and the Ethernet port, though it should be noted that both were common topics of speculation and wishlists. But even if that was real sourced info, it was mixed in with a significant amount of inaccuracy.
To be fair, given the context of that report, wouldn't that be a reasonable explanation behind that detail being reported?

My guess is: the Chinese manufacturer sources Rubén spoke with back in 2021 were able to take a look at Switch OLED as a whole, dock and cables included; they saw the cable being different and thought that thanks to the different cable the device would've been able to output a 4K image on TV.

With that said, the wrong reporting on the USB slots being 3.0 rather than 2.0 still stands. But overall, while taking a skeptic stance isn't unwarranted, I think it's also excessive to brush off the several details that turned out to be correct as common topics of speculation and wishlists anyway, to lower the value of such reporting and, as a consequence, of the latest reporting about Switch 2.

Yeah there are too many red flags with the article
Let's be honest, there's so many red flags with these articles that we might as well be living in Turkey at this stage.

I give up
I'm just going to wait for shit to develop before getting any sort of core interest in these articles. I miss a few hours ago when life was simple and we just had one article with semi-credible clout to parade around. Now I just don't know what to think.

I give up
At first I thought we were back, but in the other hand it’s quite strange they’re mentioning a 2024 release date, when every single insider has gotten news for a delay. Heck even Midori mentioned a delay, which makes article sadly wrong. Was hoping for something more.

Midori said March is firm so idk. She's pretty accurate.

Maybe its possible Nintendo told companies to be prepared for March 2025 as a contingency plan knowing that late 2024 was still a possibility
I remember making a point a while ago that Nintendo released the Switch rather early before third-parties could release their games, hence why there was a massive gap between the launch and the tidal wave of third parties with Skyrim, Doom, LA Noire etc.

Frankly, if this Korea news article is actually credible (big if right here), then I fucking knew it and you all should treat me as a god of this new world before i get sacrificed to save your gaming sins... so basically I don't think so, but I'd like to dream.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom