• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Nintendo is about to have a real thorny mess with the Yen (Its getting weak again). Delaying to 2025 might end up a 10/10 move when everything is all said and done.

As long as the questions are not about the "system in box, touch only" part, it's okay.

The questions go from "How does this effect how easily it is jailbroken" to "Will these be even more expensive now?"

I'm wondering how a console with an 8-inch screen is smaller than a steam deck
Steam Deck has a fuck load of chonk to it owing to the additional real estate taken up by the full sized sticks, buttons, track pads and ergonomics, in addition to the 7/6nm die. In this case it means one of two things:
  • Switch is just a very light console still owing to Nintendo's efficient handheld process
  • It's TSMC 4N

This source is very reliable. Pro controller compatibility, new joycons that attach magnetically. The console is slightly larger than the current one, but without surpassing the deck. The backwards compatibility status of the original joycons is unknown (although due to the new type of connection, they are not on portable mode).

Crumbs... thank you...

Steam Deck has a fuck load of chonk to it owing to the additional real estate taken up by the full sized sticks, buttons, track pads and ergonomics, in addition to the 7/6nm die. In this case it means one of two things:
  • Switch is just a very light console still owing to Nintendo's efficient handheld process
  • It's TSMC 4N
TSMC 4 Bros just keeps winning.
You just love to see it
lebron-james-crying-hug.gif

• It's TSMC 4N
4nm nodebros...we won...

Nintendo is about to have a real thorny mess with the Yen (Its getting weak again). Delaying to 2025 might end up a 10/10 move when everything is all said and done.

The questions go from "How does this effect how easily it is jailbroken" to "Will these be even more expensive now?"

Well, i think nVidia must've done some very strange fuck-up if the system could be jailbroken via magnets? And this setup is of course more expensive than plastic rails on the console and the Joy-Cons.

About the yen ... does anything even guarantee the Yen will be stronger in early 2025? With how limited my knowledge is about the topic, it's just as likely the Yen is as weak or even weaker by that time, no?

There’s gotta be more at play if this magnet thing is true. Like why change the rails? They work fine and from what I hear improved in the Oled. Maybe they are planning some other funky attachments and a magnetic attachment would be best catch all connection for a variety of controllers.
Nintendo Switch Attatch

This mean is 100% TSMC 4N not Samsung 8nm, with Samsung 8nm we will have SD size

I've looked at teardowns of the Series S, and it's substrate is only slightly bigger than the Switch. A 200mm2 chip is only about an inch squared. It's easy to forget just how tiny the Tegra X1 is. Ayaneo has models that are similar in size to the Switch with an APU around 180mm2, so the bigger chip doesn't prevent them from being used in a small device. What it does do is limit battery life and thermals. 4N just makes everything fall into place. Battery life, thermals and performance all fit together without issue. 8nm is possible, but it requires extra work to make it work. Bigger battery and potentially a better heat sink are easy to imagine, but also some optimizations on the chip itself that allow it to operate at a lower TDP in portable mode than has been seen from an 8nm chip of T239s core count.

with Vandal mention pro controller backward compatibility is extremely nice to hear, hopefully the joy cons will also work via Bluetooth or whatever.
I just question how some factory worker is going to know that.

That being said, it's my guess too. Older controllers (even joycons) will technically work, you just can't attach them.

This source is very reliable. Pro controller compatibility, new joycons that attach magnetically. The console is slightly larger than the current one, but without surpassing the deck. The backwards compatibility status of the original joycons is unknown (although due to the new type of connection, they are not on portable mode).

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Nintendo Switch Attatch
I’m gonna be honest, the switch attach name can work if the advertising is clear and not an add on for the vanilla switch.

Like the Wii U name would have worked if they made better advertising and not talk like the game pad was an add on.

But with the success of botw I can see Nintendo showcasing its software more for the NG switch.

If Nintendo is so keen on not doing the same mistakes as with Wii U, they definitely won't call it "Switch Attach".

Either just Attach or something else then.

But Switch Attach is enough to have people think if this might be a Switch accessory.

I'm wondering how a console with an 8-inch screen is smaller than a steam deck
edit:Maybe it means thick or thin
The Steam Deck has a different aspect-ratio (16:10). Compared to a 16:9 screen of same width, it's taller. Compared to a 16:9 screen of same height, it's not as wide.

A 7.92" screen is roughly as tall as the 7.4" SD OLED screen, but wider. And while the screen is wider, the Joycons are significantly more compact than SD controls and more than make up for it.

The thickness will be based on how hot the chip will run, which is determined by how many watts it draws. Nintendo audience, and therefore Nintendo themselves, care a lot more about this than Steam's. ARM CPU also gives them a huge advantage there too. So thinner than SD is pretty safe too (how much will depend on the process node).

TL;DR: It most likely is smaller in 2 dimensions, but 7.9" means roughly tied in height.

If Nintendo is so keen on not doing the same mistakes as with Wii U, they definitely won't call it "Switch Attach".

Either just Attach or something else then.

But Switch Attach is enough to have people think if this might be a Switch accessory.
Switch 2 seems like the safest and most likely options
Super Nintendo Switch is not has safe, but a good choice which makes it clear that it’s more powerful than the vanilla switch
Switch attach is like the dark horse, it can work, but if they fail to market it, it can be seen as a Wii U situation.

At this pont Super Switch can work if they announce it making a legacy statment like "we wanted people to have the same joy they had passino from NES to SNES" or something like that

Nintendo actually making a good technological decision instead of deciding on the cheapest option is surprising.
Assuming TSMC 4N is more expensive is a fallacy/myth. Just because it's a newer node doesn't mean it's more expensive.

Nintendo/Nvidia might have opted for TSMC 4N because they get more. There was an article saying at a point TSMC 4N is 2.2x more expensive than 8N, but 2.8x more denser.

This is not to say TSMC 4N has always made economical sense compared to SEC8N, but to automatically assume TSMC 4N is more expensive because it's a newer node is not really examining the full picture.
Now my question is the performance it will have since it will be produced in TSMC 4N and above all how long its battery will last.

Significantly longer than SEC8N for sure, if that's the node process nvidia/Nintendo ends up using for T239. TSMC 4N draws less power compared to 8N.

Transcription directly from Vandal's podcast (source is this post from Era):

"Every manufacturer we talked to said they had touched it. And I asked, well, "touch and see, right?" and no, they only said they touched it. They were able to put their hands into a black box, which was completely opaque and closed, and they were able to only touch the console itself. Why? Because they didn't want pictures or videos to leak out, or have the exact dimensions leak based on pictures and such to start developing stuff before Nintendo allows them. Everyone has told us the same thing, they haven't been able to see it and they've only been able to get an idea of the dimensions and feel only by touching the console in this way."

Last edited:
For those curious, there’s an android handheld on the market now that has the exact same style of magnetic joycons and it works pretty well:

I’ve had a pimax before and it works just fine, even lacks the “wobble” you get from the usual joycon rails. There’s more videos on YouTube of how it works and you can see people holding the entire handheld with just one side and it’s relatively easy to detach as well.

Is this really just magnets, and not something on top of it?

There are really strong magnets that indeed hold together very strongly, as anyone can tell that played with Neodymium magnets - but if you do that, you also see that the force becomes really strong only if they are very close together, and it increases that fast with decreasing distance that it is very easy to get your skin pinched between them. I would have thought that using such strong magnets would be quite dangerous in this regard?

Actually, the Pimax manual seems to warn about this: "This product uses magnetic connection for the controller and the main unit. Please avoid placing your hands or other body parts between the magnetic game controller and the main unit to prevent getting pinched.". Given the family-friendly image of Nintendo I would have assumed pinch-danger would be problematic for them :D

But maybe this can be solved with clever engineering?

As for the release timing, I still see a small possibility that it might has different launch dates depending on the region for whatever reason. As in US/Japan gets it this year and Europe/other major Markets early next year. It might feel like a relict from the past at least for console launches, but it‘s not that uncommon for Tech Companies. Apple does this for some product launches too for example.

"Accessory manufacturers who have been able to "touch" Nintendo's new console: the company has reportedly allowed them to put their hands inside an opaque box so that they can understand its dimensions and design without compromising the secrecy that surrounds any new video game hardware."
cut-a-hole-in-the-box.gif

Magnets might be more expensive, but there is a potential to reduce the number of repairs needed with the original Switch's Joycon-Rails.

This might be a dumb question, but if the magnets thing is true (which, given the source, it probably is), should I be concerned about having these anywhere near my pacemaker?
Good question. Assuming magnets are for attaching, I am kind of skeptical magnets is the only thing keeping the new joycons attached. I suspect there'll still be some kind of guide or rails, magnets aren't that strong but it helps "snap" joycons into the correct (exact) positions. Or are the magnets internal to Joycons and is used to replace parts that rubs against each other (causing drifting) like Switch 1 joycons?

Touch, but don’t look. Heh heh… I love the mystery and secrecy surrounding the successor. They’re really keeping things impressively tight and vague.

Joy-cons with magnetic attachments is interesting. Curious to see how that works.

This might be a dumb question, but if the magnets thing is true, should I be concerned about having these anywhere near my pacemaker?
You would very likely not want to rest the console on your chest. If it's more than a foot or so away you should be fine.

edit: it goes without saying, but IANAD.

Any new info on a potential reveal date?
Hopefully not following same pattern as Switch 1 (ie: October 2024). But I'm prepared for that reality. Still hoping for just a mention (nothing more) for the upcoming Nintendo financial meeting (in a week or two)

I don't want to be rude, but: scan the last three pages or so for recent developments.
I did and maybe i lost it, but the more recent news seem about some the magnetic staff, confirmation on Nintendo using good tecnology and some partners confirmed to have "seen" the console

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom