• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

But if you can lower the quality of the assets and use the DLSS to compensate, it still means that the assets will be smaller, right? I’m sorry if my question is stupid.
Not stupid at all, the way these high quality upscalers work isn't the most obvious thing.

Most of what DLSS does is very different from something like Gigapixel or ESRGAN which try to smooth and enhance detail to any image (and which are sometimes used directly with textures for things like texture replacement mods). DLSS it's more like it efficiently combines pixels from multiple frames into one frame, rather than starting from scratch each time. But if the texture is lower resolution, it's still just going to be reading that low resolution data for combining into the final frame we see.

The success on the system relies on the naming alone at this point. Just call it Nintendo Switch 2. It's that simple, nobody could make any mistaken interpretation of the name, no Super Switch or Switch Attach nonsense that warps the direct meaning of the system.

Sony's naming scheme works perfectly (because it's also very simple and easily gets the idea across) so the same principle should apply with Nintendo.

The success on the system relies on the naming alone at this point. Just call it Nintendo Switch 2. It's that simple, nobody could make any mistaken interpretation of the name, no Super Switch or Switch Attach nonsense that warps the direct meaning of the system.

Sony's naming scheme works perfectly (because it's also very simple and easily gets the idea across) so the same principle should apply with Nintendo.
Sony isn't Nintendo.

Super has been used to mean next gen, successfully, in the past.

It is entirely unambiguous and understood to mean "above" or "next". Which also happens to be what super means, to be above.

It's not that 2 is bad or can't be used.

It's that it's silly to suggest alternatives don't exist. When they do. And Nintendo has used them.

♻️/20 GOTO 10/𝄇

The success on the system relies on the naming alone at this point.
Personally, I disagree. Although the name's important, I don't believe the name's the most important factor of success. I think the combination of launching at a compelling price, as well as providing a compelling and consistent line up of first party and third party games for at least a year, are the most important factors of success.

The name is important but not that important otherwise there would be little reason to even humor a supposed delay for software reasons or even talk about big games that could push hardware if all it took was getting the name correct.

The Switch 2 will be successful. But not as successful as the Switch.
Agreed. The Switch was in a unique position like the PS2 and the DS. Only way it could be as big is if something extraordinary happened. Like MS or Sony saying fuck it and giving up. I don't think I have the imagination to suggest a plausible occurrence.

Sony isn't Nintendo.

It is entirely unambiguous and understood to mean "above" or "next". Which also happens to be what super means, to be above.

It's not that 2 is bad or can't be used.

It's that it's silly to suggest alternatives don't exist. When they do. And Nintendo has used them.

♻️/20 GOTO 10/𝄇
You really love Super, so I have to ask....
are you Super girl? Kara? We won't tell (well, Nintendo prime would)......

I was brought up on the Super Nintendo.

For them to reuse the name as a return to the heyday of that era would be great.
Seconded.

Plus the system will use Deep Learning Super Sampling, so it's actually kinda appropriate in a way. We'll literally be playing with super power. Bring on the cheesy commercials.

For them to reuse the name as a return to the heyday of that era would be great.
I love the super Nintendo. I wouldn't be opposed to the name. It just I have hard time seeing Nintendo going back to that name.

"Switch 2" and "Super Switch" both sound okay.

Tho, I have to say "Super Switch" could mean Color Theory right, since the color ingame buttons in some games do represent the Snes, right?

Seconded.

Plus the system will use Deep Learning Super Sampling, so it's actually kinda appropriate in a way. We'll literally be playing with super power. Bring on the cheesy commercials.
No sane company would follow a naming convention of cherry-picking one 30-year old console's name on the basis of nostalgia, which will be irrelevant to a gigantic part of their target demographic who simply weren't even alive to understand it. If they use Super Switch there will be some rationale behind it relating to the concept behind the device, but Nintendo have literally never arbitrarily reused naming conventions between generations.

No sane company would follow a naming convention of cherry-picking one 30-year old console's name on the basis of nostalgia, which will be irrelevant to a gigantic part of their target demographic who simply weren't even alive to understand it. If they use Super Switch there will be some rationale behind it relating to the concept behind the device, but Nintendo have literally never arbitrarily reused naming conventions between generations.
On the other hand, doesn´t exist the theory of 30-year trend cycles? :unsure::geek:

I got a vision last night :
The Nintendo THUNDER (with the pro version up to 1.21 gigawatts) now you deals with power
cdaafe60-f775-4951-af41-c54fd7e5a662_text.gif

Finally a AR Oot remake‘ll be possible.

Last edited:
Not this century.

If you remember Super Nintendo; you're probably buying this anyway. The number of people who fondly remember console branding from the 90s but aren't well informed Switch owners already is probably tiny.

The name needs to be very clear to thirteen year olds so they know to beg their parents to buy it. Which means it shouldn't rely on them decoding a reference you need to be 30+ to get.

(Edit to add: yes, there are thirteen year olds that love video game history and know all about the SNES. But they're probably informed enough to be following switch 2 rumors, so the name isn't for them it's for their friends)

Last edited:
Not this century.

If you remember Super Nintendo; you're probably buying this anyway. The number of people who fondly remember console branding from the 90s but aren't Switch owners already is probably tiny.

The name needs to be very clear to thirteen year olds so they know to beg their parents to buy it. Which means it shouldn't rely on them decoding a reference you need to be 30+ to get.
I don't know, Switch 2 and Super Nintendo switch are some of the best and most obvious choice for the name of their next console.
Like Super mean a new and powerful system meanwhile 2 mean the next iteration. Both has name has positive, one can have more unique marketing, meanwhile the switch 2 can have safe marketing.
Let's remember that Gameboy Advance or god forbid Gameboy Color didn't confuse the mass market
If Nintendo name their next switch system that's not Switch 2 or SNS, then i'll be surprised, since we have the shitty Switch Attach rumor (which is baseless)

I don't know, Switch 2 and Super Nintendo switch are some of the best and most obvious choice for the name of their next console.
Like Super mean a new and powerful system meanwhile 2 mean the next iteration. Both has name has positive, one can have more unique marketing, meanwhile the switch 2 can have safe marketing.
Let's remember that Gameboy Advance or god forbid Gameboy Color didn't confuse the mass market
If Nintendo name their next switch system that's not Switch 2 or SNS, then i'll be surprised, since we have the shitty Switch Attach rumor (which is baseless)
I think "Switch 2" has a lot stronger marketing potential overall, especially if they have a minor gimmick that can tie to it. It practically writes itself at points tbh.

Super Switch implies a lot more power, but there's a lot less to be confused about if you follow a similar trend to how another leading brand names their consoles.

Last edited:
Super is far from the worst name I can think of, but I'm a 90s kid so I'm definitely biased.

2 is the no brainer imo, assuming this is just a switch with better specs and that's the main differentiator.

I got a vision last night :
The Nintendo THUNDER (with the pro version up to 1.21 gigawatts) now you deal with power

Funny I had a dream too of a Nintendo presentation the other day, super random

Switch 2 would be called New Game Boy Advance and only handheld device

Next gen console for 2026, my subconscious is doomed

The Nintendo Crumble

It's a Switch where you can take the D-pad, Left and Right stick, ABXY buttons, Z/ZR, L/LR apart from the joycons, so they fit in your pockets like bread crumbs, with the idea that it's more portable friendly. Idk, it just came random in my mind.

Not this century.

If you remember Super Nintendo; you're probably buying this anyway. The number of people who fondly remember console branding from the 90s but aren't well informed Switch owners already is probably tiny.

"Super" is not merely a "reference", this is untrue, please don't be dishonest because you disagree over something. For context, see my earlier post.

Last edited:
The Nintendo Crumble

It's a Switch where you can take the D-pad, Left and Right stick, ABXY buttons, Z/ZR, L/LR apart from the joycons, so they fit in your pockets like bread crumbs, with the idea that it's more portable friendly. Idk, it just came random in my mind.
That smells like a steady stream of income for Nintendo, maybe even better than drifting Joy-Cons…

If they learned lessons from the past, and this is just an iteration of current Switch, then the best name is Switch 2.
I know we all want it to have a cool name or reference to the past, but we are not the average gamer/person.

Switch has been a massive success and they really need to make sure the successor is differentiated enough so that everyone immediately knows it's a complete new system.

"Super" is not merely a "reference", this is untrue, please don't be dishonest because you disagree over something. For context, see my earlier post.
I'm not being 'dishonest'. I genuinely, honestly, believe that if the SNES hadn't existed and been called that, nobody would be suggesting the name Super Switch. I really do think it's only in the conversation because of a reference, not because it's a natural way to indicate this is the product you need to buy to replace the outdated one. I do agree that alternatives to Switch 2 could accomplish that, I don't agree that this specific alternative could.

Please don't accuse me of lying just because I feel differently than you do.

I'm mostly interested in the OS changes on the Switch 2, how radically different will the OS be? I hope they've gone all in on creating a better OS, eshop leading to a better user experience in every way.

I'm mostly interested in the OS changes on the Switch 2, how radically different will the OS be? I hope they've gone all in on creating a better OS, eshop leading to a better user experience in every way.
Eshop is technically a web app, and has nothing to do with the OS.

I don't know why but I feel like June will be a nothing burger of a Direct and the 2 Switch, 2 Redacted will be revealed in September.
might be a nothing burger for the Switch successor because the focus will be on revealing the games for the remainder of the year, I suspect there will be a press release or acknowledgement that the new hardware is coming around May/June but we won't see anything til October like with the original Switch (if its coming around March time)

might be a nothing burger for the Switch successor because the focus will be on revealing the games for the remainder of the year, I suspect there will be a press release or acknowledgement that the new hardware is coming around May/June but we won't see anything til October like with the original Switch (if its coming around March time)
Yeah if they really aim to release the Switch 2 in march 2025, they have to tell their investors that during the next meeting, they can't release new hardware in next fiscal year without telling investors about that plan in some form.

Regrettably that means that if they don't mention Switch 2 soon it can only mean that the Switch 2 will not release in march 2025, but later.

Agreed. The Switch was in a unique position like the PS2 and the DS. Only way it could be as big is if something extraordinary happened. Like MS or Sony saying fuck it and giving up. I don't think I have the imagination to suggest a plausible occurrence.
The Switch 2 could reach Switch levels of success if Nintendo extends the console’s lifetime like they did with the Switch. There’s an hypothesis Nintendo could have, and it’s that, since the Covid years won’t come back, extending the traditional console lifecycle could prove instrumental.

It wouldn’t suprise me if Nintendo decides to replicate the Switch revision route by giving us a Lite and a Screen Upgrade again, maybe add a Pro or a Mini revision.

Or maybe all if the above

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom