• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST4| Tears of the Speculation

What team are you joining?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one acknowledged your post number was #3,420

But I saw it. I want you to know I see you and the magic you do, Mr_No_U

Funny enough you probably would have gotten more Famicoins if your quad post was one mega post haha

Possibly, but at this rate it's not gonna be bigger than an NSO N64 update, more likely the NSO Game Trial for North America/Europe as Japan just has Snipperclips announced as the game demo

Kirbykirbykirbythatsthenameyoushouldknow
Kirbykirbykirbyhesthestaroftheshow

Enough talk about anime. I'm more interested in getting to know aniyou.
😳
Well if you insist, my favorite video games are Kingdom Hearts 2, Mother 3, and, if my title is any indication, Xenoblade Chronicles. How about aniyou?

For me the current release schedule of Pokemon games isn't really sustainable unless Gamefreak gets some major help. Trying to cram in new mainline games + DLC + legends games every 3 years seems like way too much; not to mention all the side stuff Pokemon does on top of that. I really don't want there to be another Pokemon game that ships in the state of S/V honestly.
Major help isn’t going to help that much & may cause even more problems. What they need is time & perhaps a model change.

Enough talk about anime. I'm more interested in getting to know aniyou.
courage-mallet.gif

Yeah, their schedule is going to need a major change, which may include extending the generation's cycle from 3 years to 4.
They probably need to extend it to 5. The issue becomes what to do with the multimedia apparatus that surrounds the games. I think changing to a different dev model like live service may suit them better.

Pokemon-wise, would love for this year to be DLC for Scarlet & Violet, and 2024 to kick off with another Legends game.
Hmmm I feel like that can definitely happen. With Gamefreak starting games before the other is finished and doing two games at once(there was this graph of the development of Arceus and Scarlet Violet, but both were in development alongside each other and IIRC neither had more than 3 years? Like SV starting actual full development after DLC for SwSh ramped up or something like that).
Plus Emily told us Legends Arceus was almost done already when it was shown the first time in early 2021, so it could've released that heat but they made it January due to BDSP already coming.
I think Legends 2 might've started development by early 2021 with part of the staff, while the rest worked on polishing Arceus, with the full team all in from late 2021 onwards, making an early 2024 launch fairly possible.
I think the announcement of DLC for Scarlet and Violet, Detective Pikachu 2 reveal and a teaser for Legends 2 for early 2024 would be a big way to start the year. We got Arceus revealed in early 2021 after all so it's not unprecedented.
What do you guys think will be in the Direct outside of already announced stuff? I'm personally expecting Astral Chain 2 and PRAYING for a Kid Icarus Uprising port.
I'm pretty sure there will be at least one 2024 game announcement/surprise for 2024 in each of the Jan/Feb Direct, June Direct and September Direct. What will those be will higher depend on what size of hype cycle they want for said game, what message they want said game to bring to Switch owners and if the game need further help for finishings development (like Splatoon 3 needed when it was revealed in early 2021).
For the next Direct, I can see any of the following:
  • Super Mario 3D next(either holiday 2022 or early 2024, to give fans something to anticipate and relief that Zelda isn't a swansong );
  • Donkey Kong by EPD Tokyo(as its hiring calls went up summer 2020, I think they might reveal what it is to make new hiring calls to finish the game for 2024);
  • Astral Chain 2: one of the games I'm hyping the most, but I'm reluctant as the original has a short hype cycle. They might want to give it a longer hype cycle if they find it beneficial tho(it definitely was beneficial to Splatoon 3). It would also further show Switch's capabilities and secure fans they aren't abandoning the platform. It already being announced would also make it a lock for Switch 2 reveal trailer and show how great it will look on it(same with Mario)
Why would nintendo release mario kart 9 this year if 8 DLC isn’t even over yet?
2024 makes a lot more sense
2025 or later makes a lot more sense imho.

I know Nintendo's H1 lineups are often kinda weak but I don't think they want to go 4 months, 1/3 of the year, with nothing but a Kirby remaster and a Bayonetta spinoff. There's definitely at least one more March/April game
Huh? New FE and new Zelda in the first half of the year already makes this the biggest H1 for Switch like… ever? I’d venture to say.

I definitely don’t expect anything else.

Direct February with stuff on Zelda obviously, Bayo Origins, Kirby and maybe a trailer for Pikmin 4 or something else in H2? After that, they can easily coast on TOTK hype and marketing for the next 3 months. It’s an absolute juggernaut.

That’s not even taking into account that, while not having anything to do with Switch, Nintendo will have a ton of mindshare with the Mario movie release in April.

Huh? New FE and new Zelda in the first half of the year already makes this the biggest H1 for Switch like… ever? I’d venture to say.

Direct February with stuff on Zelda obviously, Bayo Origins, Kirby and maybe a trailer for Pikmin 4 or something else in H2? After that, they can easily coast on TOTK hype and marketing for the next 3 months. It’s an absolute juggernaut.

That’s not even taking into account that, while not having anything to do with Switch, Nintendo will have a ton of mindshare with the Mario movie release in April.
I think there will be at least a June game. Nintendo never misses June, sometimes they even have 2 games in that month (like last year with both FE Warriors and Strikers).

I could see the horse game getting released in April. Just get it done and over with.

Fire Emblem, Kirby, Bayonetta and Zelda until May. Then some June/July game, Pikmin 4 in August/September and one big holiday game. Plus MK8, Splatoon 3, XC3, Pokemon and Fire Emblem DLC. Maybe Advance Wars and/or the Metroid Prime Remake somewhere in there. That's what I expect.

Nintendo should take FROM as an inspiration and move Zelda's release date to end of february. Just like Elden Ring. Because, let's be honest, i deserve being able to play Zelda on my birthday end of february.

I give this post a Yarp instead of a Yeah.

Honestly, not even sure about the horse game ever releasing at this point - Nintendo could've just decided to can it even if it was close to finished if it reviewed as badly inhouse as they say.

Looking at Q1/Q2 through the Switch lifespan - If Nintendo would have nothing else for the reminder of H1 2023 it would be the lowest numbers of games they've published in it's lifespan - which might very well happen, but having zero games announced and released during H1 would be a first and very unlikely scenario.

Year
Q1
Q2SumGames announced the same year

1-2 Switch
BotW
Snipperclips
Flip Wars
MK8DX
Arms
6X

Dragon Quest Builders
Bayonetta 1 & 2
Kirby: Star Allies

Labo #1 Variety Kit
Labo #2 Robot Kit
DKC: Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors DX
Sushi Striker
Mario Tennis Aces

Fitness Boxing
New Super Mario Bros U Dx
Tetris 99
Boxboy+Boxgirl
Yoshi's Crafted World
Labo #4 VR Kit
Cadence of Hyrule
Super Mario Maker 2

Dr Kawashima's Brain Training
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX
Animal Crossing New Horizons
Good Job!
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definite Edition
Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
Jump Rope
Pokémon Mix Café

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
Bravely Default II

New Pokémon Snap
Famicom Detective Club: The missing Heir
Famicom Detective Club: The Girl Who Stands Behind
Miitopia
DC Super Hero Girls™: Teen Power
Game Builder Garage
Mario Golf: Super Rush

Pokemon Legends Arcaeus
Triangle Strategy
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Switch Sports
Mario Strikers Battle League
Fire Emblem Warriors: Thee Hopes

Fire Emblem Engage
Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe
Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Sum23285123

Also doesn’t help that I legit can’t remember the last time Nintendo truly ‘surprised’ me. Both in a literal sense and in a ‘they did more than I would have expected from them’ sense. Seems like literally everything they do nowadays has to come with some caveat, or some tempering of expectations, or some massive wait, and all that really hurts my excitement for future Nintendo stuff. Even Pikmin 4 felt a bit meh, and that’s bloody Pikmin!
That's an interesting sentiment, so looking back to think what would be a great Nintendo surprise going above and beyond, and personally I would say getting a great 3D Kirby game in 2022 and triumphantly reviving Metroid Dread in 2021 would easily fit that category. One a year, that's pretty good.

And just this year I would add Xenoblade 3 which was a great big game with no caveats (though not really a surprise), and the Pokémon formula being completely revolutionized after all these years (though with some caveats). So I feel like Nintendo is more than capable of surprising me. And Zelda is coming.

That's an interesting sentiment, so looking back to think what would be a great Nintendo surprise going above and beyond, and personally I would say getting a great 3D Kirby game in 2022 and triumphantly reviving Metroid Dread in 2021 would easily fit that category. One a year, that's pretty good.

And just this year I would add Xenoblade 3 which was a great big game with no caveats (though not really a surprise), and the Pokémon formula being completely revolutionized after all these years (though with some caveats). So I feel like Nintendo is more than capable of surprising me. And Zelda is coming.
True; I was perhaps being a bit hyperbolic there cause I was in a shitty mood overall last night. Kirby and Dread were both great with the latter being a genuine surprise. Hell, Kirby was my #3 GOtY this year. Though in terms of surprise, I’d argue that in hindsight I’d Kirby’s move to 3D was inevitable after the relatively poor reception to Star Allies. It being so excellent was surprising though. Xenoblade 3 is good, but it’s not surprising that it was good, nor was it surprising that it got made. Though I gotta give them credit for improving their technical aspects after 2.

But overall, Nintendo still doesn’t surprise me too much, and really I don’t mean just ‘surprising game announcements.’ Instead I mean stuff like:
  • Splatoon 3 having an update schedule that doesn’t feel like the bare minimum a seasonal game can offer
  • Animal Crossing getting well-needed QoL updates alongside just generally more stuff
  • Literally anything to make the Switch’s OS feel more pleasant to use
  • A Pokemon game coming out that isn’t in some way technically or artistically inferior to its Switch peers
  • NSO updates that don’t come at a snail’s pace
  • Mario Kart 8’s DLC tracks not just being barely touched-up Tour ports
  • Any Sports or Party game coming out filled with content instead of being bereft of it
  • Then giving any more attention to their Wii/GC days outside of full-priced HD ports designed to be as cost-efficient as possible
All that stuff would have genuinely surprised me because it would have shown Nintendo going above the low expectations I’ve had of them for a lot of this gen. Instead they just kept being met, and so it’s hard to get excited that much anymore. For one instance, I’m not expecting an extensive BC upgrade scheme for the Switch 2 - akin to what we’ve seen on other platforms - because… why should I? Again this is all personal, but it’s definitely how I feel nonetheless.

Last edited:
I could see the horse game getting released in April. Just get it done and over with.

Fire Emblem, Kirby, Bayonetta and Zelda until May. Then some June/July game, Pikmin 4 in August/September and one big holiday game. Plus MK8, Splatoon 3, XC3, Pokemon and Fire Emblem DLC. Maybe Advance Wars and/or the Metroid Prime Remake somewhere in there. That's what I expect.
You mean Pocket Card Jockey: Ride On!? I too would love to see that on Switch. :)

I highly doubt Nintendo leave June empty, given it's their usual Mario month. As big a seller as Zelda is, Nintendo will want to keep cycling through different brands and genres to keep hitting different audiences.
Everyone wants leaks for the big AAA IPs, meanwhile I just want someone at Syn Sophia to assure me that Style Savvy Switch isn't a beautiful illusion
No interest in the series but I've been predicting it for like 2 years so I am at least trying to manifest it.
What do you guys think will be in the Direct outside of already announced stuff? I'm personally expecting Astral Chain 2 and PRAYING for a Kid Icarus Uprising port.
I'd love to see both Astral Chain 2 and Kid Icarus, but I feel like they're 2024. Right now I'd guess at -

• one out of 2D Mario or DK for winter
  • F Zero GX HD for summer
  • Mario spin off for June
  • Style Savvy
  • eShop game from HAL

Controversially, I've now decided Metroid Prime HD is a June announcement for an October release, along with the first proper look at Metroid Prime 4. Please understand.

Personally what I'd really love to see would be: GB + GBA NSO, new Wario Land or World, Astral Chain 2, and a big budget EPD DK game that is basically 21st century Donkey Kong 1994.

I personaly think that Prime 1 remake and F Zero will be close in release like Summer and September

Cause I have the feeling that the Big NEW games are: FE,BOTW2,Pikmim 4 and the holidays will have....probably Mario 2D or DK and thats it for the new first party in 2023

And Prime 1 and F- Zero will basically cover the "core" (Bayonetta like) experiences for 2023

I think that instead of a DLC, we are going to get Ultra Scarlet and Ultra Violet in November.
I also think that a new SMT will be announced, a sequel to V, like Apokalypse was a sequel to 4.

I don't expect any new announcements for H1 in this direct, but I hope that at least MP or F-Zero remasters are announced.

I don't wanna be surprised anymore about Nintendo I just wanna know way in advance if Nintendo actually gives a shit about retro consoles on NSO lol

Yes, I expect both IV and Apocalypse to be remastered and released for all systems.
If this heavy remasters year happend to be:
FF Tactics, Metroid Prime, F-Zero, Kirby, SMT 4, Project Zero, Flower Sun and Rain(the video of grasshoper office is basically a confirmation)

Ok they are old games, but basically most of them are inaccessible

What if they start remastering their smaller releases? 🤔

That'd be absolutely horrid. The current trend of constant remasters and safe sequels is already kinda turning me off gaming as a hobby and it's starting to feel more like a pastime.

There's no reason to just put out the older games as they are with emulation, even if emulation might sometimes not be 100% accurate, seeing how normal people don't give a rats ass about performance I'd say 90% accuracy is more than enough.

I think that instead of a DLC, we are going to get Ultra Scarlet and Ultra Violet in November.
That would be a terrible decision imo. Yes, S/V were rushed and a new version could make them feel more polished, but Sw/Sh showed that having big expansions can make the games a lot better.

S/V are a great foundation for future Pokémon games, but not good enough for an interative sequel or a revision of the same game.

Talking about remasters, it shoulf finally be time for the Metal Gear Solid Collection
It's either MGS or Half Life collection from Lightspeed people. My guess is MGS, as I have a suspicion that Nightdive will do a HL1 remaster before the second one hits Switch.

I don't remember when the last time was I asked for Dragon Quest Builders 3, but I'll ask again: Where is Dragon Quest Builders 3?!

I know the director (or producer?) left after 2, but I really hope there is someone left there that cares enough about the series to make another one.

And I really need DQIIIR right now!!!

The Thread is slowing down a bit... so let me spice it up with some good old 4Chan BS "Leaks".

Nintendo’s First half of 2023 leak

January 12th

Kirby’s return to dreamland deluxe overview trailer

February 15th
Nintendo direct
Mario kart dlc
Pushmo remaster collection
game boy and game boy color games are added to NSO with gba games added to the expansion pack
Pac man world re pac 2
Monkey Ball: Kong Krossover
Ddlc 2
Famicom detective club: the strange village
Bravely third
Bayonetta origins trailer
Shenmue remaster collection
Mario rabbids dlc trailer
Mario odyssey dlc: world tour pass

March 10th
Mario movie trailer

April 17th
Tears of the kingdom direct

Last edited:
(NOW ENDED) $5 eShop Giftcard Giveaway
UPDATE: January 16th. GIVEAWAY HAS ENDED

How many pages will this thread get when Direct is finally announced? $5 US eShop giftcard giveaway.

Let's have a little fun. Let's try to guess how many pages will this thread get when Nintendo Direct is finally announced (the moment the thread will close to be precise, so no new posts will be there).

This is something that every one of us can effect and it's not as boring as "Team January/Feb."

What are the rules?

You have to quote this post (so I can find you guess easily) and type the exact number you think the final thread page count will be.
You can send your guess until Monday, January 16th 3pm UTC. So that the final number cannot be guessed so easily (if we will get the last week January Direct).

The person who will quess the exact number or the nearest one will get the giftcard. If more people guess the exact number (it could happen lol) than one of these will be selected by random selection.

And you can edit your number until the end date. - January 16th 3pm UTC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom