• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST4| Tears of the Speculation

What team are you joining?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many pages will this thread get when Direct is finally announced? $5 US eShop giftcard giveaway.

Let's have a little fun. Let's try to guess how many pages will this thread get when Nintendo Direct is finally announced (the moment the thread will close to be precise, so no new posts will be there).

This is something that every one of us can effect and it's not as boring as "Team January/Feb."

What are the rules?

You have to quote this post (so I can find you guess easily) and type the exact number you think the final thread page count will be.
You can send your guess until Monday, January 16th 3pm UTC. So that the final number cannot be guessed so easily (if we will get the last week January Direct).

The person who will quess the exact number or the nearest one will get the giftcard. If more people guess the exact number (it could happen lol) than one of these will be selected by random selection.

And you can edit your number until the end date. - January 16th 3pm UTC.

How many pages will this thread get when Direct is finally announced? $5 US eShop giftcard giveaway.

Let's have a little fun. Let's try to guess how many pages will this thread get when Nintendo Direct is finally announced (the moment the thread will close to be precise, so no new posts will be there).

This is something that every one of us can effect and it's not as boring as "Team January/Feb."

What are the rules?

You have to quote this post (so I can find you guess easily) and type the exact number you think the final thread page count will be.
You can send your guess until Monday, January 16th 3pm UTC. So that the final number cannot be guessed so easily (if we will get the last week January Direct).

The person who will quess the exact number or the nearest one will get the giftcard. If more people guess the exact number (it could happen lol) than one of these will be selected by random selection.

Going with 217

I get that, but unless work on the patch isn't done yet, i hope Gamefreak doesn't think sitting on patches as "announcements" for Pokemon Presents is a thing they should do.
Nintendo does that sometimes as well so it wouldn’t surprise me. We usually don’t get a timeframe for patches. But surprise. There’s a patch sometimes dropping same day after a direct ends sometimes.

I had a dream where I went to see The Super Mario Bros. Movie, and instead of showing movie trailers before it started, they showed Nintendo game announcements, like a Direct.

One of the announcements was a Zelda game compilation, like the one on GameCube, only it also included Wind Waker and Twilight Princess as well.

Another announcement was a new Pokemon fighting game in the style of Smash Bros.

Then, the Metroid logo came on screen and I got so excited that I ran to the front of the movie theater to get a better look.

They announced the official title of Metroid Prime 4, which was "Metroid Prime: The Final Return". I got so excited about Metroid news that it actually launched me out of the dream and I woke up before I could see any more.

Nintendo does that sometimes as well so it wouldn’t surprise me. We usually don’t get a timeframe for patches. But surprise. There’s a patch sometimes dropping same day after a direct ends sometimes.

Well, Nintendo usually doesn't have to publicly acknowledge and apologize for their games' performance and thus has some "luxury" of sitting on patches.

Dunno if i can say the same about GF here. And i'm not even mad about the performance, but there's still some annoying bugs and glitches that should be fixed in an ASAP timeline and not in a "let's make it a big announcement for our presentation 6 weeks away!" one. ^^

What are the rules?

777 is my favorite number and the goal we should shoot for no matter how soon it is so that’ll be my pick. We only need to do like 2 pages an hour for the next 15 days or whatever. We got this!
You and me are at least 500 pages above the average guess and 350 minimum above third highest haha

What are the rules?

Last edited:

What are the rules?

324 based on my amazing mathematical formula I just made up.

I get that, but unless work on the patch isn't done yet, i hope Gamefreak doesn't think sitting on patches as "announcements" for Pokemon Presents is a thing they should do.
PLA's Daybreak free content patch was announced and shadowdropped during a Presents as well wasn't it?

Hard to tell if they're sitting on it... well if doesn't actually include performance improvements I doubt they're waiting for the negative PR that would ensure, so glass half full we're finally getting better framerate I guess?

We got a SwSh patch that added Galarian Slowpoke after the Pokemon Direct where they announced the DLC for SwSh.

Maybe they will patch in something like that as a teaser for the SV DLC this time.

Well, Nintendo usually doesn't have to publicly acknowledge and apologize for their games' performance and thus has some "luxury" of sitting on patches.

Dunno if i can say the same about GF here. And i'm not even mad about the performance, but there's still some annoying bugs and glitches that should be fixed in an ASAP timeline and not in a "let's make it a big announcement for our presentation 6 weeks away!" one. ^^
it’s irrelevant honestly.

They’ve apologize but still do things on their own pace. Plus, the outcry for the game has died down almost completely. Maybe if it was still massive, they’ll try to get it out sooner.

But there’s also a chance that they’re working fast to get it out in time for a possible direct. Might not be a case of holding on to a patch.

GameFreak also has done this already. Recently Pokémon Arceus had a patch revealed in a Pokémon presents. Pieces just fit

I honestly do not get takes like this, at all. We live in an era where more games are released then ever before and I can't even process how most people have the time or money to play everything that comes out in a given year. Remasters/remakes are just one of several kinds of games released in an annual basis and you could easily spend over $1,000 on new games in a given year and not buy a single remake/remaster/enhanced port.

Also the idea that a game is somehow worth less because it's old is also really sus. Gaming has been a passion of mine for basically all 33 years I've been alive, and there are tons of games where a remake/remaster is either a game I've never heard of, or a game I never got around to playing. Many of these remasters also go out of the way to fix problems with the original version that your suggested "a 90% emulated port is good enough" don't address. This doesn't even address situations where a remake/remaster enables a previously untranslated game to finally get an english release like we've seen with the Famicom Detective Club series and the Great Ace Attorney games.
I think that's their point that they'd rather there be more new ideas in the industry, rather than recycling the same ideas, since there's so many games already on the market that remasters and remakes always fade into obscurity.

I would argue that a lot of remasters are cashgrabs that realistically can be "fixed" in the eyes of most people with a few emulator tricks like forcing 16:9 for 3D games, texture hacks, forcing higher resolutions. And that's only if you really need to, most of the time the games are perfectly playable as they are.

Not to mention that most remasters and remakes very very often either don't bother to change anything about the original (Secret of Mana remake) or introduce their own problems and challenges (Silent Hill HD Collection, Crysis Remastered, Mafia 2 Definitive edition, Pokémon BDSP, Pokemon LGPE, Devil May Cry HD collection, Diddy Kong Racing DS, GTA Definitive Trilogy, the list is never ending...), that basically make them redundant and throwaway releases since they're sidesteps or worse compared to the originals or other releases.

Remakes themselves are also subject to the general wider trends of the industry as a whole at the time of release which people forget, which is why every remake from a Japanese developer in the last 5 years seems to be obsessed with adding bloom and very bright graphics (looking at you Bandai Namco and SEGA).

Take Sonic Colors. This game had a remaster recently called Ultimate which was subpar and had lots of issues. To the point where to community usually recommends a fan mod of the original game called Sonic Colors DX which runs a modified version of Colors in Dolphin.

I do get the argument that it increases accessibility and convenience, but imo it shouldve never got to the point where games need to be "fixed" by a rerelease nor should video games be tied to hardware either. more approaches like Xbox's backward compatibility and PC's constant game library are needed in the industry. I can download Sonic Generations right now from Steam, but I can't on another other consoles (apart from PS5 since I think they have it on PS Plus).

I think the idea that underpins it all for me is just the lack of creativity which creates a more stagnant industry as a whole. It's what's happening to Hollywood and it's what could slowly happen to video games if they're not careful.

Remakes where they translate games are fine but are few and far between, the only one I know of personally is Mr Driller Drill Land. Fan translation patches also exist for so many Japan only games that you'd be surpised!

Agree that we can just avoid remasters if we don't like them but at the same time they take resources away from new games

PLA's Daybreak free content patch was announced and shadowdropped during a Presents as well wasn't it?

Hard to tell if they're sitting on it... well if doesn't actually include performance improvements I doubt they're waiting for the negative PR that would ensure, so glass half full we're finally getting better framerate I guess?

We got a SwSh patch that added Galarian Slowpoke after the Pokemon Direct where they announced the DLC for SwSh.

Maybe they will patch in something like that as a teaser for the SV DLC this time.

They're free to do that. But ideally they do a bug/glitch-fix patch (maybe with some performance fixes too) first and a DLC teaser patch with a new Pokemon (or regional form, or whatever) for the Pokemon Day stuff.

They're free to do that. But ideally they do a bug/glitch-fix patch (maybe with some performance fixes too) first and a DLC teaser patch with a new Pokemon (or regional form, or whatever) for the Pokemon Day stuff.
If a bug fix patch were ready to go this month, I don't think they would hold it until the end of February. It's likely just not ready yet, and won't be until sometime in February that's close enough to Pokemon Day that they may as well wait a few days and release it with whatever little goodies they're dropping then as well.

I highly doubt Nintendo leave June empty, given it's their usual Mario month. As big a seller as Zelda is, Nintendo will want to keep cycling through different brands and genres to keep hitting different audiences.

No interest in the series but I've been predicting it for like 2 years so I am at least trying to manifest it.

I'd love to see both Astral Chain 2 and Kid Icarus, but I feel like they're 2024. Right now I'd guess at -

• one out of 2D Mario or DK for winter
  • F Zero GX HD for summer
  • Mario spin off for June
  • Style Savvy
  • eShop game from HAL

Controversially, I've now decided Metroid Prime HD is a June announcement for an October release, along with the first proper look at Metroid Prime 4. Please understand.

Personally what I'd really love to see would be: GB + GBA NSO, new Wario Land or World, Astral Chain 2, and a big budget EPD DK game that is basically 21st century Donkey Kong 1994.
I still feel Prime 4 is this year.

Wow for some reason I thought that starfield already had a release date for april and when I saw starfield delayed I thought they changed the date again, instead it always had a generic 2023 release date.

Well, i guess you won't have to wait too long for either a full release date or a delay, sure that will be the closing thing of that Starfield event MS will hold sometime after their event thing on January 25th.

What are the rules?

120 pages

What are the rules?

What are the rules?

What are the rules?

What are the rules?

I have an Xbox Series X and I love it, but somehow I can't feel so much excitement about Xbox events, at least compared with Nintendo Directs. It's like Microsoft always tries to make spectacular announcements but then nothing really comes out of them, just smoke.

I think they really need to start releasing first party exclusive games shortly after being announced, so they can achieve Nintendo Direct levels of hype and excitement.

What are the rules?

Throwing my guess in for 194 pages

To this day, my brother is convinced this was a Michael Jordan reference.
The 90s were a helluva shared fever dream, and I feel like I remember someone else also telling me the same thing before

I have an Xbox Series X and I love it, but somehow I can't feel so much excitement about Xbox events, at least compared with Nintendo Directs. It's like Microsoft always tries to make spectacular announcements but then nothing really comes out of them, just smoke.

I think they really need to start releasing first party exclusive games shortly after being announced, so they can achieve Nintendo Direct levels of hype and excitement.
What I've often said is Microsoft shows will have a ton of really cool games announced... that I end up buying on Switch, PC, or PS4/5. Even though things like Persona 4 Golden and Silksong are coming to gamepass, I'm probably buying a digital copy on Switch for both over playing them on Xbox via gamepass.

What are the rules?

I think that's their point that they'd rather there be more new ideas in the industry, rather than recycling the same ideas, since there's so many games already on the market that remasters and remakes always fade into obscurity.

I would argue that a lot of remasters are cashgrabs that realistically can be "fixed" in the eyes of most people with a few emulator tricks like forcing 16:9 for 3D games, texture hacks, forcing higher resolutions. And that's only if you really need to, most of the time the games are perfectly playable as they are.

Not to mention that most remasters and remakes very very often either don't bother to change anything about the original (Secret of Mana remake) or introduce their own problems and challenges (Silent Hill HD Collection, Crysis Remastered, Mafia 2 Definitive edition, Pokémon BDSP, Pokemon LGPE, Devil May Cry HD collection, Diddy Kong Racing DS, GTA Definitive Trilogy, the list is never ending...), that basically make them redundant and throwaway releases since they're sidesteps or worse compared to the originals or other releases.

Remakes themselves are also subject to the general wider trends of the industry as a whole at the time of release which people forget, which is why every remake from a Japanese developer in the last 5 years seems to be obsessed with adding bloom and very bright graphics (looking at you Bandai Namco and SEGA).

Take Sonic Colors. This game had a remaster recently called Ultimate which was subpar and had lots of issues. To the point where to community usually recommends a fan mod of the original game called Sonic Colors DX which runs a modified version of Colors in Dolphin.

I do get the argument that it increases accessibility and convenience, but imo it shouldve never got to the point where games need to be "fixed" by a rerelease nor should video games be tied to hardware either. more approaches like Xbox's backward compatibility and PC's constant game library are needed in the industry. I can download Sonic Generations right now from Steam, but I can't on another other consoles (apart from PS5 since I think they have it on PS Plus).

I think the idea that underpins it all for me is just the lack of creativity which creates a more stagnant industry as a whole. It's what's happening to Hollywood and it's what could slowly happen to video games if they're not careful.

Remakes where they translate games are fine but are few and far between, the only one I know of personally is Mr Driller Drill Land. Fan translation patches also exist for so many Japan only games that you'd be surpised!

Agree that we can just avoid remasters if we don't like them but at the same time they take resources away from new games
But it also allows companies to generate money to invest in new games.

With that said, you look at the negatives of remakes/remaster but don't seem to account for the positives. Link's Awakening allowed people who never experienced the previous game to experience a version of it. It allows new gamers or older gamers to play games they missed. One could say "just throw the old game up as an emulation," but there's a very real lack of desire from gamers who didn't experience an old game pre HD era to play that game as it was. They want the fresh coat of paint.

There are other remakes/remaster that have served a good purpose. Look at the Resident Evil remakes, Crash N-Sane Trilogy(which paved the way for Crash 4 and revitalized the franchise), Shadow of the Colossus(god bless BluePoint), Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2, Metroid Samus Returns, etc etc. Also, you pointed to Pokemon BDSP and LGPE and my rebuttal to that is that there has been a Pokemon remake that excelled and that was HGSS, which might just be the best Pokemon games ever lol.

We're constantly being fed games, as this past year proved, and we have such a busy year this year that it's pretty obvious the industry is big enough to have remakes/remasters and new games. The gaming industry is nothing like Hollywood lol. Hollywood struggles with big budget new ideas(indie films continue to thrive), the gaming industry doesn't for the most part.

What are the rules?

Xbox and Sony need to get better at their trailers with gameplay.

They have a ton of CG only trailers. While it’s not objectively worst in any ways. It often feels like they sometimes don’t want you to think it’s a video game.

But I guess the trailer they do often do work for them so perhaps there’s nothing to change. Perhaps not announcing stuff so far advance. That’s a good one, they both do that more often then not

What are the rules?

75 💪

What are the rules?

What are the rules?

how about that Direct huh
I'm genuienly still shaking over the announcement of Fire Emblem Smash. I'm so happy Sakurai finally gets to make the game he wants, a Smash bros game where he doesn't have to pretend that he wants franchises other then Fire Emblem present 😭

I just heard Nate's podcast, and they didn't want to talk about Switch 2, but MVG said something that made me think: is Switch 2 going to be backwards compatible? The obvious answer is yes, of course, but it is something I would like to discuss.

Does the possibility of a next gen console coexisting with Switch exist? The Switch would be the cheaper platform, the entry device for the Nintendo ecosystem, and the newer system could be completely focused on next gen bigger games and third party support, even if it is still a hybrid console concept.

This is pure speculation lol, but I can see the Switch still receiving AA first party games for the next 5 years, while the next gen console gets modern games (closer to PS5, Xbox and PC), so it wouldn't need backwards compatibility.

Honestly, I'd love that, but I think Switch 2 is going to be a small update instead of a truly next gen system.

wow

image.png

I just heard Nate's podcast, and they didn't want to talk about Switch 2, but MVG said something that made me think: is Switch 2 going to be backwards compatible? The obvious answer is yes, of course, but it is something I would like to discuss.

Does the possibility of a next gen console coexisting with Switch exist? The Switch would be the cheaper platform, the entry device for the Nintendo ecosystem, and the newer system could be completely focused on next gen bigger games and third party support, even if it is still a hybrid console concept.

This is pure speculation lol, but I can see the Switch still receiving AA first party games for the next 5 years, while the next gen console gets modern games (closer to PS5, Xbox and PC), so it wouldn't need backwards compatibility.

Honestly, I'd love that, but I think Switch 2 is going to be a small update instead of a truly next gen system.
I'm expecting the Switch 2 to be cross-gen for at least two years with a fair amount of exclusives, more than the PS5 has gotten. By the time Pokemon Gen 10 arrives, support for the old Switch will slowly fizzle out.

I just can't imagine Nintendo is going to go in such a wildly different direction with their next gaming device that it won't be bc with Switch games. Literally >90% of their annual revenue is tied up in the Switch, I expect the successor to be super conservative in form factor and marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom