• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST4| Tears of the Speculation

What team are you joining?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Metrod Prime is not something I expect for 2023, I would love to be wrong though.

I'm cautiously optimistic. They announced 4 years ago that the develoment was handed over to Retro. The decision was probably taken a few months before that, say October 2018. Moreover, it is doubtful that they started from scratch completely, some of the work had to be salvageable.
MP4 releasing at the end of 2023 would mean 5 years of dev at Retro. That's longer than many ambitious games targeting more powerful hardware. If 2023 goes by and we still don't have an update about the game, there will be legitimate reasons to believe that something went wrong. Again. I don't think that Nintendo would let that happen.

But even counting those 2, 2017 was IMO bigger: BotW, Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Arms, Xenoblade 2... was an amazing year with all the new entries on some of the biggest Nintendo franchises.

Yes, 2017 was really the best year in my opinion as well. But we are just in January and we haven't had a single direct yet. They are bound to announce more, and probably very soon.

Hay geis. Nontendo Duhrect cunformed. Dis leik es vury luget.

image.png

Said it before but I don't think that Nintendo are going to wind down the total number of software releases even if we see spells where more old titles are re-released. The important point there is 'spells'. In 2018 the re-releases were concentrated in the first half of the year. In 2021 things were concentrated towards the first half of the year, too, though the highest profile remake (Pokemon) got the November spot. 2020 things were erratic and spread out post Animal Crossing. I can't be arsed doing the exact maths (I'm very ill today), but I'd guess that even when there's a lot of old stuff, at least half of what Nintendo put out will be new titles.

So while we're certainly due to see Nintendo pump out old stuff - especially after a year of exclusively new software in 2022 - there's still going to be new software at a regular clip and there's still the support for existing titles.

Said it before but I don't think that Nintendo are going to wind down the total number of software releases even if we see spells where more old titles are re-released. The important point there is 'spells'. In 2018 the re-releases were concentrated in the first half of the year. In 2021 things were concentrated towards the first half of the year, too, though the highest profile remake (Pokemon) got the November spot. 2020 things were erratic and spread out post Animal Crossing. I can't be arsed doing the exact maths (I'm very ill today), but I'd guess that even when there's a lot of old stuff, at least half of what Nintendo put out will be new titles.

So while we're certainly due to see Nintendo pump out old stuff - especially after a year of exclusively new software in 2022 - there's still going to be new software at a regular clip and there's still the support for existing titles.

Totally agree. We are getting a new Fire Emblem this month, Zelda in May, and Pikmin sometime this year (and maybe Advance Wars). No way Nintendo is leaving us totally dry on new releases. Something else is bound to come.

Totally agree. We are getting a new Fire Emblem this month, Zelda in May, and Pikmin sometime this year (and maybe Advance Wars). No way Nintendo is leaving us totally dry on new releases. Something else is bound to come.
If I could remake my year to include unreleased games, 2023 would already be at the top just based off FE, Zelda and Pikmin. The rumored DK game and remakes/remasters are just some sweet, rich buttercream frosting on the top.

2017 > 2021 > 2019 > 2022 > 2018 > 2020

No bad years there!
Yeah, every year definitely had stuff I really got into. 2018 I rate low, but I spent like 600 hours on Smash Ultimate. Same with 2020 and New Horizons.

Yeah, every year definitely had stuff I really got into. 2018 I rate low, but I spent like 600 hours on Smash Ultimate. Same with 2020 and New Horizons.

I put 2018 above 2020 solely because of Smash. I enjoyed it slightly more than Animal Crossing. Maybe if/when I get around to playing Paper Mario, I will switch them back.

Member Ban & Rule Update 1/10/23
Hey everyone. We'd like to address a few matters that transpired over the weekend, in addition to answering some questions that were raised.

First off, to acknowledge Hidden04's permanent ban: the moderation team's ultimate decision here was attributable to various factors, and we feel it's of chief importance to stress that the member in question wasn't banned as a result of a lone incident. Others have previously alluded to it, but it's worth outlining the most significant of these factors: Hidden had previously made posts on Reddit referring to himself as a "Famiboards insider", using the site's name and aiming to draw attention to himself in a way that we can't condone. We made sure to reach out to him via DM last year to explicitly convey the severity of this, and potentially ward off more severe future actions on his part, but to no avail: this past Saturday evening, Hidden breached a fellow member's trust (again involving Reddit), which is what crossed the boundary of acceptable conduct.

We'll underscore this: Hidden is welcome to submit a ticket and appeal his ban, just as any other member would be. Whether this leads to a reevaluation of the team's decision, we can't say, but we aim to give all ban appeals their due consideration. In theory, even a permanent ban is not off the table to overturn, but everything is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. To those wondering whether the team may have actioned a member for something that wasn't explicitly outlined in the rules, we'd refer you to Rule 0. As it states: rules are meant to be an aid, but cannot possibly cover all situations.

Alright, now for the most important part: despite Rule 0, staff are in wide agreement with the community sentiment that it'd be beneficial to have a rule in place, regarding hidden content. To that end, we've amended the site rules with the following:

Hidden Content

Through the use of HIDE tags, members of the community can limit the viewing of the content they post to fellow Famiboards members. Not all hidden content needs to be hidden, and good judgement is expected to be used when determining which content goes behind HIDE tags. Hidden content is generally expected to remain hidden, and members are subject to moderation if found to have shared hidden content by other members outside of Famiboards. These scenarios are to be evaluated by moderators on a case-by-case basis, with the bottom line being that the sharing of sensitive hidden content outside the site is discouraged.

We feel this does well to establish easily understandable guidelines for hidden content, while also encouraging the moderation team to continue to act in a case-by-case manner.

If things were previously unclear, then we hope this post serves to clarify. We aren't above answering questions, and transparency to the community will always remain a foundational pillar of how we strive to run Famiboards.

Just ignore the hardware threads and focus on games. Lots of fun stuff to enjoy in the present than always wondering about the future.

I’ll be really interested once hardware is announced but I can’t handle reading the hardware speculation threads. Somehow Drake is the cause of and solution to every problem nintendo will ever face.

DRAAAKE!

Putting the main hardware thread on ignore was the best decision I’ve made on this board. Can’t say I particularly miss that discussion.

Hey everyone. We'd like to address a few matters that transpired over the weekend, in addition to answering some questions that were raised.

First off, to acknowledge Hidden04's permanent ban: the moderation team's ultimate decision here was attributable to various factors, and we feel it's of chief importance to stress that the member in question wasn't banned as a result of a lone incident. Others have previously alluded to it, but it's worth outlining the most significant of these factors: Hidden had previously made posts on Reddit referring to himself as a "Famiboards insider", using the site's name and aiming to draw attention to himself in a way that we can't condone. We made sure to reach out to him via DM last year to explicitly convey the severity of this, and potentially ward off more severe future actions on his part, but to no avail: this past Saturday evening, Hidden breached a fellow member's trust (again involving Reddit), which is what crossed the boundary of acceptable conduct.

We'll underscore this: Hidden is welcome to submit a ticket and appeal his ban, just as any other member would be. Whether this leads to a reevaluation of the team's decision, we can't say, but we aim to give all ban appeals their due consideration. In theory, even a permanent ban is not off the table to overturn, but everything is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. To those wondering whether the team may have actioned a member for something that wasn't explicitly outlined in the rules, we'd refer you to Rule 0. As it states: rules are meant to be an aid, but cannot possibly cover all situations.

Alright, now for the most important part: despite Rule 0, staff are in wide agreement with the community sentiment that it'd be beneficial to have a rule in place, regarding hidden content. To that end, we've amended the site rules with the following:

We feel this does well to establish easily understandable guidelines for hidden content, while also encouraging the moderation team to continue to act in a case-by-case manner.

If things were previously unclear, then we hope this post serves to clarify. We aren't above answering questions, and transparency to the community will always remain a foundational pillar of how we strive to run Famiboards.
Good shit, Aurc and team!

Man it’s really funny in retrospect just how hard Nintendo dropped the ball in 2018, considering the majority of us have ranked it as worse than a year that was literally butchered by a worldwide pandemic.

They literally only released 5 exclusives that weren’t Labo or a Wii U port, with the first three being unfinished at launch (or in Mario Party’s case, in general), another being a dumbed down version of an already pretty simple series, and Smash, which we had to wait the entire year for.

That year sure was a reality check after the high of 2017, thank goodness they’ve picked things up in both the quality and quantity department since then

Wow, its crazy what people will do for clout. Thank you for acting on it mod team.

I’ve been saying this morning I was betting more on Wednesday this week anyway, I just really don’t care for Spongebob in general lol. Made it personally more insulting than if they tweeted nothing lol.
Tomorrow is definitely the main opportunity. There's a slim chance at Thursday, too, but if that happens it's likely something other than a Direct. So basically it's tomorrow morning, or IMO we wait until after Fire Emblem.

Thanks for updating, I initially thought Hidden was immediately, permanently banned because, on the banned users list, there is no note of previous rule breaking. Some banned users are noted to have repeatedly broken the rules, but there wasn’t such a distinction in Hidden’s infraction, so I thought he got permanently banned after sharing on Reddit, unknowingly (I thought) breaking the rules, deleting his post after being asked, then apologizing. Obviously through that lens the ban didn’t seem justifiable, but as more users explained he did similar stuff before, I edited my posts to reflect that awareness.

Now, I’m glad the rules were updated, because personally I thought Hidden tags were purely meant to shield text from lurkers. I imagined sharing such text was simply discouraged, but not actionable, since it wasn’t in the rules.

Now back to shit posting.

Ranking Switch years? Mmmmmk.

2021 > 2019 > 2022 > 2017 > 2020 > 2018

If the 3DS was included in 2017 it would be higher but as it is Odyssey was basically it for me.

eh fuck it i'm so hyped for the Mario movie I'm going to replay all the 3D Mario's on switch before it comes out

see now you're starting to understand the job

as OP you have to pretend to believe anything can happen at any time
I said many times that team January can win in the last week, that would make a bunch of sense since they are always promoting the games that were released the previous week (3D World + Bowser's Fury, FEW: Three Hopes or Splatoon 3). Wouldn't be that much surprised if they make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom