• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST4| Tears of the Speculation

What team are you joining?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a good Mini for now with a full Direct in March/April is the best call. Next week is certainly going to be interesting to watch however it shakes out. Either we get a presentation/announcement or we can make better predictions.
I honestly don't see them ever going back to March/April Directs. There is a E3 this year and for now it's likely to say that Nintendo is attending so I don't see March or April Direct hapening.

Some might argue that there was a April Direct in 2017 and March Direct in 2018. But Directs have evolved quite a lot since then and aside from Smash and Octo Expansion announcement in March 2018 these Directs only served as a release date announcements, ports and reminder of upcoming releases. I don't see them doing General Direct in March and then just a 3 months later again. I still see them sticking to 3 General Directs a year.

Last edited:
Nintendo just needs to drop Advance Wars 1+2 in April and I believe Switch will have a major game each month

Jan: FE Engage
Feb: Octopath Traveler 2
Mar: Bayo Origins
Apr: Reboot Camp

Yes I know OT2 is multiplat, but Nintendo marketed it in the September 2022 direct like it's a big deal for them.

Nintendo just needs to drop Advance Wars 1+2 in April and I believe Switch will have a major game each month

Jan: FE Engage
Feb: Octopath Traveler 2
Mar: Bayo Origins
Apr: Reboot Camp

Yes I know OT2 is multiplat, but Nintendo marketed it in the September 2022 direct like it's a big deal for them.
we have Kirby in February too

Minis can definitely have new first party games, there just aren’t too many of them. If we got a proper Mini, I don’t think it would be that bad since the goal should just be get us up to Zelda. It’s the March and April window that are a bit fuzzy. If it doesn’t happen next week, mini or proper Direct, week 4 after Fire Emblem is next in line and that’s normal Direct territory.

I think the heart of competing interests at play here is that there is possibly a game or two before Zelda and they should announce them soon, but do they want to overshadow January and February which they’ve already laid out pretty well. I feel like they wouldn’t want to overshadow Fire Emblem by showing Zelda in particular right before launch.

I think a good Mini for now with a full Direct in March/April is the best call. Next week is certainly going to be interesting to watch however it shakes out. Either we get a presentation/announcement or we can make better predictions.
I do wonder if Nintendo keep the pre Zelda window relatively quiet - Bayonetta Origins might be a full price release, but it's also a fairly niche affair. They've already given it a big platform with a TGA reveal, and I also expect Nintendo are very realistic about how this will sell.

April I could see possibly being empty; or used to get Advance Wars out quietly; or it has a 'casual' game that appeals to a different audience. There's been the talk about Nintendo not having many big releases after Zelda, or about them winding down with Switch; but even if that's true, I don't think they're going to leave themselves short of software and short of options to keep the release schedule moving along steadily.

They could afford to have April empty this year, I think, purely because Zelda will do enormous numbers, and possibly because they might have more notable releases in June and July (which has historically been the case on Switch). Like I said, options! We need that Direct so we can see what they've settled on.

I do wonder if Nintendo keep the pre Zelda window relatively quiet - Bayonetta Origins might be a full price release, but it's also a fairly niche affair. They've already given it a big platform with a TGA reveal, and I also expect Nintendo are very realistic about how this will sell.

April I could see possibly being empty; or used to get Advance Wars out quietly; or it has a 'casual' game that appeals to a different audience. There's been the talk about Nintendo not having many big releases after Zelda, or about them winding down with Switch; but even if that's true, I don't think they're going to leave themselves short of software and short of options to keep the release schedule moving along steadily.

They could afford to have April empty this year, I think, purely because Zelda will do enormous numbers, and possibly because they might have more notable releases in June and July (which has historically been the case on Switch). Like I said, options! We need that Direct so we can see what they've settled on.
Perfect time to drop Everybody's 1-2 Switch on the world

They have been so secretive with Tears of the Kingdom and I was losing hype but now that the release date is nearing I’m really hyped again. I’m actually glad we don’t know much going in, will be better that way.

Perfect time to drop Everybody's 1-2 Switch on the world
I do think this is a real possibility for March. Bayonetta is for the hardcore so we are set and won’t complain about it much sharing the month. It could follow Ring Fit and Big Brain Academy and have a very short reveal to release window.

I do think this is a real possibility for March. Bayonetta is for the hardcore so we are set and won’t complain about it much sharing the month. It could follow Ring Fit and Big Brain Academy and have a very short reveal to release window.
I do hope we get to see this game eventually. I will change my avatar to Wah Steve the horse man ends up being from the original leak was.

I'm thinking we get some sort of Pokemon spin-off at the direct.

Maybe a Gengar sim where you go around scaring & messing with people? I can dream.

I do hope we get to see this game eventually. I will change my avatar to Wah Steve the horse man ends up being from the original leak was.
We’ve all talked and joked about it so much on Famiboards, I’m kind of rooting for it even if I’ll never buy it lol. The first game was miserable. (A friend had it)

They have been so secretive with Tears of the Kingdom and I was losing hype but now that the release date is nearing I’m really hyped again. I’m actually glad we don’t know much going in, will be better that way.
They still havent shown enough for me to reach the peak level of excitement i was at this time before breath of the wild launched.

time for weirder predictions!

• Everybody's 1-2 Switch is primarily developed by NDCube (and/or their partner that led Clubhouse). It sounds sort of like Wii Party Online to me, NDCube is due, and EPD 4 kind of isn't.
  • I said it in that other thread, but I think Miiverse is coming back any day now. Okay, maybe more like April. You can post drawings, discussions, and game captures with the NSO Expansion Pass, but reading (or accessing in games like Splatoon) will be included in standard NSO.
  • If the Direct is in February, I think it'll include a big trailer for the next Splatoon season. I think it'll have more maps, weapons, gear, and extras than the other seasons and will accordingly get a lot pf fanfare.
  • No matter how far away it is, Pikmin won't disappear like Animal Crossing did after its announcement. Hell, I half expect Miyamoto to show up in every Direct until the game is out.
  • I think we'll get the Direct announcement in a Direct trick for Zelda. The presentation will end with Zelda and announce a dedicated Direct at a later date. If the first show is in January I expect Zelda in early February, if in February Zelda might be early March.

It’s quiet
5ljffv.jpg

My prediction of the year :
Metroid Prime 4 coming in October 2023, features speedboost with shinespark (when you reach the speed limit, stop and aim in 1st person where you want to shinespark and voilà, shinespark in FPS).

even weirder but longer-term predictions

• I think the first Splatoon is going to get some sort of port, just to have the original trilogy on switch. I'm not entirely sure what it would look like in terms of what features return, but having the single player carried over would be nice. Maybe they could even add a Bowser's Fury like extra mode.
  • Someday we'll get a major OS update. I used to think it would be tied to Switch Pro, but maybe Switch 1 will see some changes alongside Switch 2. Version 15.0.0 had some serious refactoring, and with the new application metadata I suspect that the next Switch will, in some fashion, share the system software with Switch 1. We'll finally get some real themes, music for certain menu applications (the eShop and Mii Maker come to mind), and maybe some interface improvements.
  • In a similar vein, I think once Switch 2 is out Switch 1 will become port city. The old game initiative that Emily talked about? That's going to be the cross-gen experience for a few years. This will service the massive Switch 1 userbase while allowing Switch 2 to become a compelling upgrade with exclusive software. With backwards compatibility, the first few years of Switch 2 could feel very rich with first-party software.
  • With a prototype box art featuring golf, I suspect that Nintendo Switch Sports will get no further support. Golf was cut for time, and long-term support was never planned. Hopefully this means that EPD 4 has moved on to a fresh new experience.
  • We'll have a way to play an older Animal Crossing on new hardware in the west before the next game in the series is out.

I really like these! Here's my thoughts:
time for weirder predictions!

• Everybody's 1-2 Switch is primarily developed by NDCube (and/or their partner that led Clubhouse). It sounds sort of like Wii Party Online to me, NDCube is due, and EPD 4 kind of isn't.
I could see this happening. My suspicion is similar, in that I do think NDCube have a non-Mario game coming in 2023, and that whatever it is might be an EPD idea farmed out to NDCube; but I'm still going to bank on it being Animal Crossing of some sort.
  • I said it in that other thread, but I think Miiverse is coming back any day now. Okay, maybe more like April. You can post drawings, discussions, and game captures with the NSO Expansion Pass, but reading (or accessing in games like Splatoon) will be included in standard NSO.
This I'm unsure on, but it sounds fun, so it's allowed.
  • If the Direct is in February, I think it'll include a big trailer for the next Splatoon season. I think it'll have more maps, weapons, gear, and extras than the other seasons and will accordingly get a lot pf fanfare.
I'd like this to be true. Apart from the odd Salmon Run splurge, I've dropped off Splatoon 3 a little. I also think it's a little too soon for paid content to be confirmed and that might wait for E3.
  • No matter how far away it is, Pikmin won't disappear like Animal Crossing did after its announcement. Hell, I half expect Miyamoto to show up in every Direct until the game is out.
I'm not sure on this. If it's a second half 2023 title - and I expect it is - I don't think we're going to see it again until June. But on its reappearance, I expect it'll get a really solid showing, as befits a new EPD title.
  • I think we'll get the Direct announcement in a Direct trick for Zelda. The presentation will end with Zelda and announce a dedicated Direct at a later date. If the first show is in January I expect Zelda in early February, if in February Zelda might be early March.
Completely agree on this.
even weirder but longer-term predictions

• I think the first Splatoon is going to get some sort of port, just to have the original trilogy on switch. I'm not entirely sure what it would look like in terms of what features return, but having the single player carried over would be nice. Maybe they could even add a Bowser's Fury like extra mode.
Splatoon's single player campaign could ostensibly return as DLC for the current game; I think we wouldn't necessarily see a straightforward port of the original game in its entirety. There's definitely unused content back there that's easily portable, given Nintendo deliberately made it easy to bring Wii U content to Switch.
  • Someday we'll get a major OS update. I used to think it would be tied to Switch Pro, but maybe Switch 1 will see some changes alongside Switch 2. Version 15.0.0 had some serious refactoring, and with the new application metadata I suspect that the next Switch will, in some fashion, share the system software with Switch 1. We'll finally get some real themes, music for certain menu applications (the eShop and Mii Maker come to mind), and maybe some interface improvements.
I've thought this for a while. I love Switch but its features and ecosystem have felt largely static to me since late 2019, with the one exception of the Expansion Pack addition. Whatever OS and eShop overhaul comes, it'll be timed for new hardware but available universally. This is, after all, what Nintendo wanted to achieve with NX.
  • In a similar vein, I think once Switch 2 is out Switch 1 will become port city. The old game initiative that Emily talked about? That's going to be the cross-gen experience for a few years. This will service the massive Switch 1 userbase while allowing Switch 2 to become a compelling upgrade with exclusive software. With backwards compatibility, the first few years of Switch 2 could feel very rich with first-party software.
Given the smattering of re-releases in the final 2 years of 3DS - Fire Emblem, Metroid, Luigi's Mansion, Superstar Saga & Bowser's Inside Story, Captain Toad, Yoshi's Woolly World - I'm agreed on this. It's one reason why I suspect there are plenty of rumours circulating around certain titles, but I've suspected for a while that Nintendo saw 3DS as a practise run for moving on from Switch. I'd expect this run of games to be more successful and to potentially include the 'missing' Zelda ports, as well as leftover Wii U games like NES Remix and Yoshi's Woolly World. I expect we'll see this kick off this year.

Hopefully we see some unrumoured but 'missing' games come back - DKC Returns; Pikmin 1 and 2; Last Story; Ever Oasis would be among my picks.
  • With a prototype box art featuring golf, I suspect that Nintendo Switch Sports will get no further support. Golf was cut for time, and long-term support was never planned. Hopefully this means that EPD 4 has moved on to a fresh new experience.
This is sad but perhaps true. Hopefully EPD expanding means they get the hang of long term support a little better.
  • We'll have a way to play an older Animal Crossing on new hardware in the west before the next game in the series is out.
I'd really like this to be true and for it to be Animal Forest, one way or another.

Finally an excuse for NSO overhaul where it includes GB/C, GBA, GameCube and Wii games

My theory is that as soon as known loose cannon Elon Musk started making moves on Twitter Nintendo started looking into their own solution.
This would actually be a hilarious response to Musk torpedoeing Twitter and I'd be down for it

I feel like we’ve never had a year like 2017. With BOTW, MK8D, Odyssey, I feel like launch year was peak Switch. Not saying there haven’t been decent years in between, but I romanticized the development of all Nintendo’s teams being focused on one console.

2021 brought Dread, and last year brought Scarlet and Violet (my favorite Pokémon games ever).

Getting BOTW and Odyssey in one year was just super special.

Co-developed by NDCube? Could be it. But I would go as far and say that the game is not happening, I know everyone talks(ed) about it here but if it's in that much trouble, it could not release at all. I know, development cost etc. But if it's so rough than they will leave it dead in basement.
Don't feel it, that's like porting original Mario Maker to Switch or other games, yes it has some features that the sequel don't (own campain for Splatoon) but this ain't it.
This ship has sailed, at least for me. But yeah, BT headphones support in 2021 says otherwise.
Would be pretty damn disappointing to me, so that's why this is true.

There could be something like Miiverse but if you mean Miiverse as in name that's no for me, the Mii brand is that (I know there are still Miis on the Switch) but bringing Miiverse back could bring memories to Wii U, which Nintendo wants you to forget about.
Yeah, absolutely. Can't imagine Pikmin apperaing again at E3, which would be like less than 4 months before it's release. We will see Pikmin next month.
The trick is that there is no Zelda Direct. This does not work for Direct formats. Only for multiplayer games and things like Xenoblade which have complex battle system. We will get Treehouse demo (maybe with the devs) and that's it, that would be announced separately. Game will be playable at PAX in March.

I feel like we’ve never had a year like 2017. With BOTW, MK8D, Odyssey, I feel like launch year was peak Switch. Not saying there haven’t been decent years in between, but I romanticized the development of all Nintendo’s teams being focused on one console.

2021 brought Dread, and last year brought Scarlet and Violet (my favorite Pokémon games ever).

Getting BOTW and Odyssey in one year was just super special.
I truly believe this year will be the closest. We have Engage, Zelda and Pikmin. Pikmin is obviously the lowest rung on the ladder of success, but a well designed Pikmin game can be truly special for the core crowd. Thrown in MonkEPD and the rumored remasters, such as Metroid Prime and FZero, and hell, for me that tops 2017.

Wow the poll closed and not even 200 votes for team january, you can see how shaken they are, their failure is imminent
If you think that's bad, check the poll results on the General Discussion ST 😩

I think this year we finally get Paper Mario - The Thousand Year Door Remastered for Switch. That will be the summer Mario Game + a new 2D Mario game in November.
Tears will flow if this happens. A PM64 remaster/remake would also be awesome in the next few years. Just changed my Switch icon to Lady Bow :')

I just realized all I had left on my wish list is on Switch (Strikers and Switch Sports).
I would be fine with some more Wii/GC remasters.
And more casual games (Nintendo Land). I think Nintendo was scared to repeat the Wii hype and drop. So they focused on less casual games, but come on, 1-2 Switch was just a tech demo.

Early to mid February is kind of ideal for me because I'm probably going to play fewer games once again this year; it's nice right now having Fire Emblem, Octopath, Zelda, and Pikmin 4 on my radar as my only definite retail purchases.

I am really curious about how 2023 shapes up on Switch, so I do really want a Direct; but it's also just a year where it feels like (as it did past year, with Pokemon in January) waiting until February is actually excellent timing for an info dump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom