• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST|

When will the next general Direct (full or mini) be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's rank 3D Mario's

Galaxy > Odyssey > 64 > Galaxy 2 > 3D World > Sunshine > Bowser's Fury > 3D Land
Galaxy 2 > Galaxy > 3D World > 64 > Odyssey > Sunshine > 3D Land (not counting Bowser’s Fury because I feel like it wouldn’t be fair to compare it to the full fledged games.)

Announcement would likely be Tuesday. They’ve done early morning direct announcement for next day afternoon direct a few times already. I can’t recall a single time they’ve announced a Direct on Monday. Maybe someone else remembers better than I do.

I can’t recall the last time Nintendo has announced a general direct on Monday. Probably when they first began directs 7-8 years ago.
Right, that's what I'm saying. Nobody actually expects a Direct announcement on Mondays except #TeamJanuary probably so Tuesday is technically the first day a Direct could realistically be announced next week, and it's most likely going to happen going by the signs we've seen. Feels good to not have to wait until Wednesday for confirmation (unless the Direct is the week of the 16th/17th RIP)

• 🟠🗺️
  • 💦🔫
  • 🔥🛡️
  • 🗡️🕒
  • 🥇👀
Definitely not 🐴🦨
I’m very excited to see these upcoming hits:
  • Circangle Mapegy
  • Chlorine Trigger
  • Flaming Embellishment*
  • A Knife in Time
  • Cappy & Kazooie at the 2022 Winter Olympics
  • and Donkey Gear Skunky: Kong Eater
*is this me doing a self-own or

Nate the Late

reggie-nintendo.gif
Perfection 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Imagine, for a moment, that PM64 wasn't available on NSO.

If that was the case, would you prefer a PM64 or TTYD remake/remaster for Switch, and why?
For purely selfish reasons, TTYD if it's an authentic remake that uprezzes all the textures and reinstates some of the cut content from the Japanese version of the game.

It's the one I grew up with and played before PM64. I have a lot more sentimental attachment to it, and as such I just like it more than PM64 when I first played it on Wii VC

Forget Batman. How about Superman 64?
I know people bemoan the "impossibility" of making a good Superman game but I feel it's just the people who are put in charge just don't know what makes Superman tick. Megaton Rainfall seemed to do a pretty good job of it even if it didn't have the DC license. It's to a point where all you have to do is not fly through rings and you're fine.

Even the Lego DC Heroes game, I just want to fly in the sky, mayhaps with different iconic suits and the John Williams orchestra score soaring on my sound system. If there were any way to mute the Hans Zimmer theme I would

If there was a good Switch port of Arkham Asylum at a reasonable price, I'd buy it. Dunno about the collection, really.

I’m very excited to see these upcoming hits:
  • Circangle Mapegy
  • Chlorine Trigger
  • Flaming Embellishment*
  • A Knife in Time
  • Cappy & Kazooie at the 2022 Winter Olympics
  • and Donkey Gear Skunky: Kong Eater
*is this me doing a self-own or

Circangle Mapegy is certainly a possible name for a future Asano game

I’m telling y’all Color Splash is a masterpiece, as good as if not better than TOK!
Imma be honest Sus, I've never played it before but if I really wanted to go into it with an open mind I'll need to smoke something stronger ahaha

(And also be less than full price after 6 years ffs $75CAD??)

Sometimes we get really out of left field third party announcements at these directs, like an old IP returning like Ghosts and Goblins or Actraiser, we could get something like that this time round.

little do you know that Team March has already won

So there's Demon Slayer and the Arkham games as pretty safe bets for the Direct. Are there any other third party port rumors floating around?
Not as safe but these two have been floating for a while
New Resident Evil for switch
Chrono Cross remaster

Just for the clarification, Monolith had absolutely zero involvement in either Pokémon games. Strictly none. So any insider that pretended they worked on either games was just flat out wrong, regardless of the intent.
Gotcha, that one is a miss then.

it's not better than tok if it doesn't have that bassoon
I’m pretty sure it does

and definitely literally a bass clarinet solo

like I cannot state enough how much better the game is than the general impression of it is

I’m telling y’all Color Splash is a masterpiece, as good as if not better than TOK!
People complain about TOK battle system but Color Splash’s battle system is way worse. And TOK also improved in story, exploration, environment design, etc.

I know it’s an opinion but I can’t think of a single way that Color Splash is significantly better haha.

update: dramatic cathedral pipe organ confirmed

People complain about TOK battle system but Color Splash’s battle system is way worse. And TOK also improved in story, exploration, environment design, etc.

I know it’s an opinion but I can’t think of a single way that Color Splash is significantly better haha.
the writing is better even if the overarching story is goofier. the dialogue is more grounded while simultaneously just being outright funny and kind of shitposty

like if you like the way I say shit I think you’ll like the dialogue in CS more than TOK

and the environments / openness in TOK are good, but they feel more varied and distinct in CS to me, even though they’re siloed.

what is it everyone hates about the Color Splash battle system? it’s tied more deeply with the exploration — like it feels more built of the world than TOK does (which is like… why are they circles? vs gathering the resources from the world and using them being the whole thing)

don’t get me wrong I enjoyed TOK a ton

I just enjoyed Color Splash even more and it’s weird to me that it’s so hated

Imma be honest Sus, I've never played it before but if I really wanted to go into it with an open mind I'll need to smoke something stronger ahaha

(And also be less than full price after 6 years ffs $75CAD??)
maybe seek out a used copy? I’d send you mine but I bought it digitally in 2018 and just didn’t play it until 2020

the writing is better even if the overarching story is goofier. the dialogue is more grounded while simultaneously just being outright funny and kind of shitposty

like if you like the way I say shit I think you’ll like the dialogue in CS more than TOK

and the environments / openness in TOK are good, but they feel more varied and distinct in CS to me, even though they’re siloed.

what is it everyone hates about the Color Splash battle system? it’s tied more deeply with the exploration — like it feels more built of the world than TOK does (which is like… why are they circles? vs gathering the resources from the world and using them being the whole thing)

I guess, I didn’t think Color Splash was bad or anything but I enjoyed TOK a lot more. Both games definitely had great writing.

Most of Color Splash's issues definitely stem from its resource based combat system and the messy UI. I've said it before but if it was actually closer to something like Baten Kaitos or SteamWorld Quest it would be held in much higher regard.

The main complaint is that it's slow and tedious, especially with the gamepad. It takes a long time just to do an attack. Also you get so many cards and have to sort through them all.

alright @Raccoon we’ve got BASSOON

also I think there’s more in the soundtrack, but this was the quickest obvious example I could find

The main complaint is that it's slow and tedious, especially with the gamepad. It takes a long time just to do an attack. Also you get so many cards and have to sort through them all.
…but there’s a sort button

it’s like playing a card in cards? you strategize for a sec and then go

idk it didn’t bother me I guess

plus so many enemies become hammerable and avoidable as you get further should you choose to

also I don’t think it happens the same way in TOK but in CS when your health is low it switches to the “things are bad buddy” versions of the songs and it’s top tier shitpost material

wow I’m late to this party

Odyssey > 3D World > Sunshine > Galaxy 2 > Bowser’s Fury > Galaxy > 64 > 3D Land

fight me
If you have Odyssey as #1, you're totally right, no matter the order of the others. So there's no reason to fight you!!

3 days until the Nintendo Direct??? Hopefully lol.

Also my 3D Mario Ranking is Odyssey-> Galaxy 2 -> Galaxy-> 3D World-> 3D Land-> Sunshine-> 64

All Paper Mario games have excellent soundtracks. It might be the most consistent Nintendo series on that front, even more than obvious stuff like Zelda.

maybe seek out a used copy? I’d send you mine but I bought it digitally in 2018 and just didn’t play it until 2020
Yeah, good point, there's a decent used game store near me that might have some Wii U deals (even if he is holding hostage a copy of Chibi-Robo for $200), but if not there's always A&C Games I suppose haha

pmcs512.png

okay last piece of my Color Splash rant…

there are so many deeply haunting things that characters say in the game and I fucking love that

that’s all I’m done please forgive

So there's Demon Slayer and the Arkham games as pretty safe bets for the Direct. Are there any other third party port rumors floating around?
Persona 4 Golden is the other heavily rumoured(also accidentally leaked by the site). I would expect it at this Direct if it's coming alongside Arena Ultimax.

There is the holy Trinity of announced third party ports that are yet to be seen:
  • Outer Wilds
  • Genshin Impact
  • Fall Guys

We have Hollow Knight Silksong, which was mentioned as coming in February in the GeForce leak. Again, there's obviously stuff wrong there, like Shin Megami Tensei V releasing this month on PC. But Silksong is a long waited game and it would make sense this month.

There's the Bandai Namco trademark of Goonect too. There's House of the Dead remakes that we've been waiting forever too.

My dream case scenario tho: another impossible port by Bethesda (Ghost wire Tokyo? Maybe an announcement of the next Wolfenstein?) or by another developer(Tales of Arise?) or Psychonauts 2.

Galaxy - Bowser's Fury ------ 64 - Odyssey -------- the rest.

3D World is such a strange game. It went back on many hard-fought innovations from 3D Mario's past. Adjustable camera control to aid depth perception, horizontal default attack possibilities as alternatives for jumping, locking the Z axis in temporary 2D sections, plenty of air control... This has fallen by the wayside and depth perception in the game is horrible as a result, exasperated by the flat lighting.

I appreciate what it tries to do by bringing the 2D structure and speed into 3D, but in the process jettisons too much and ends up being endlessly frustrating to both me as a seasoned Mario player and my 7yo.

Oh and for the Direct ZELDA OR BUST

Every direct I say that all I want is Wind Waker HD, and every single time, Wind Waker HD is not announced. I feel like I’m jinxing it at this point so I no longer want Wind Waker HD.

I want Xenoblade Chronicles 3 now.

64 - Sunshine - Galaxy 2 - Galaxy - Odyssey ---------------------- 3D World.

I maintain that 3D World is not only a mediocre Mario game but a mediocre game in general.

Have to say as well this thread has got me too hyped for a direct. It'll be painful for me if it doesn't happen in Feb now haha.

Every direct I say that all I want is Wind Waker HD, and every single time, Wind Waker HD is not announced. I feel like I’m jinxing it at this point so I no longer want Wind Waker HD.

I don't want Wind Waker HD this year because it would mean probably no BOTW2 this year.

I think Nintendo knows not to release 2 3D Zeldas in the same year, even if they are spread out and even if there probably wouldn't be any sales effect. There's still a chance some people would hold off one or the other because they know they already have a huge epic Zelda adventure to play. Plus we just got Skyward Sword HD last year.

Wind Waker HD/Twilight Princess HD would be a good release for the tail end of the current Switch lifecycle, when new games are being made for the next gen Switch but the still need to release some games on the OG

If BOTW2 releases this year, i think it's pretty much a lock that we'll see TP and WW next year. We've been getting Zelda releases every year for quite a while.

I don’t want WWHD because that means BotW 2 isn’t coming this year. Also, now you’ve jinxed Xenoblade Chronicles 3. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom