• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST|

When will the next general Direct (full or mini) be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Announcement
  • I have an embarrassing announcement to make.

Over Christmas I felt very strongly that I needed to leave the internet. I felt that I was wasting my time, damaging my mental health, and making the quality of discourse here noticeably worse.

I ultimately set aside these feelings, attributing them to a passing offense. I vowed to commit to my plans to avoid embarrassment and regret.

However, having woken up this morning, the first of 2022, I felt nothing but regret.

I had at one point considered that this thread could be my redemption in this community, and that I could grow into a valuable member of it by sacrificing a great deal of time and, frankly, a non-negligible amount of money. However, given some comments I've read and agreed with, I no longer see this to be the case.

Here's the headline: "Direct Speculation League" and all multimedia content are cancelled. I again have to express my embarrassment that I overpromised yet again, but I woke up feeling like I'd trapped myself doing pointless work and deeply committing myself to a community in which I no longer feel happy.

I will continue to "run" the Direct thread, updating the OP with non-specific allusions to rumors as I had long ago, and I will keep track of #TeamDirect because of its relatively high engagement and how much easier it will be to run.

The bottom line is that I need to spend less time online, not more. I have tried to deny this for a long time, but given how terrible I feel this morning I can no longer ignore what I need to do to feel safe.

I'm very sorry to anyone who was interested.

Raccoon

hey remember the Yoshi release date Tweet?
  • I don't know. Those weird Twitter drops were really prominent in 2020 when, you know, COVID dropped as well. Not saying they're not gonna do it again or that COVID has been flopping or that there's no more games being affected by COVID, but I assume that this is the year they're gonna organize their announcements a bit more evenly spread, considering they started doing so in 2021.
    don't forget

#TeamJanuary
  • Here they are folks, the first of our three Nintendo Direct teams. Keep in mind that these teams are for the first general Nintendo Direct of the year, either a full Nintendo Direct or a Nintendo Direct Mini. Any new similar formats that are general (i.e. not focused on a specific game, genre, theme, etc) will apply as well.

If you would like to change your team, please just let me know with an @! If I've made a mistake, which is pretty likely, please let me know the same way. Also, usernames in bold have changed their forum title to "#TeamJanuary" and will receive double the normal prize if they win the raffle. If you would like to change your title, go to your "Account details" and enter your "Custom title." This has to be "#TeamJanuary" exactly to qualify.

Proud mavericks with a sense of historic righteousness, Team January are bold and optimistic. Their unity comes just as much from their years of loyalty to the cause as to the belief itself. While noble and stalwart, they are known to sometimes be pigheaded and stubborn.

Last edited:
    #TeamFebruary
  • Here is the second of our three Nintendo Direct teams. Keep in mind that these teams are for the first general Nintendo Direct of the year, either a full Nintendo Direct or a Nintendo Direct Mini. Any new similar formats that are general (i.e. not focused on a specific game, genre, theme, etc) will apply as well.

If you would like to change your team, please just let me know with an @! If I've made a mistake, which is pretty likely, please let me know the same way. Also, usernames in bold have changed their forum title to "#TeamFebruary" and will receive double the normal prize if they win the raffle. If you would like to change your title, go to your "Account details" and enter your "Custom title." This has to be "#TeamFebruary" exactly to qualify.

Rational, reasonable, and directed by logic alone, Team February may not carry the sense of stubborn pride that other teams do, but they are nonetheless united by their beliefs. With numbers consistently on their side and often bearing some of the community's most prolific debaters who can control the thread's narrative for weeks at a time, they may come off to some as smug, overbearing, and dull.

Last edited:
    #TeamMarch
  • Here is the third and final of our three Nintendo Direct teams. Keep in mind that these teams are for the first general Nintendo Direct of the year, either a full Nintendo Direct or a Nintendo Direct Mini. Any new similar formats that are general (i.e. not focused on a specific game, genre, theme, etc) will apply as well.

If you would like to change your team, please just let me know with an @! If I've made a mistake, which is pretty likely, please let me know the same way. Also, usernames in bold have changed their forum title to "#TeamMarch" and will receive double the normal prize if they win the raffle. If you would like to change your title, go to your "Account details" and enter your "Custom title." This has to be "#TeamMarch" exactly to qualify.

A tight band of chaos enjoyers and skeptics, Team March is uniquely comprised of both the forum's most creative shitposters and most pessimistic analysts. Small enough to know each other by name, this dark horse team is bound by their bravery and brashness. They are generally removed from the rivalry of the other two teams.

Last edited:
    Team Change Deadline
  • The rough deadline for setting or changing your team affiliation, as well as committing with a forum title, is currently Tuesday, January 11. This is in honor of the four year anniversary of the legendary 2018 Nintendo Direct Mini, as well as in commemoration of being a day that I have free.

EDIT: Please also note that I will Yeah! your request when I address it. If I do not Yeah! your request in a reasonable time frame, please @ me again

Last edited:
    Teams are final!
  • Alright everybody, since I have insomnia, I'm calling it early. The teams listed in the threadmarks are final, barring any previous posts that I've missed. Thank you to everyone for participating. Will #TeamJanuary be vindicated today? Probably not. That would be cool though, right?

Custom Title Rule for #TeamDirect Raffle
  • Important Notice

Members who have already set their custom forum titles to their team hashtags and are recognized as such in the threadmarked rosters must maintain these tags until the raffle occurs in order to receive the double prize if they win. I will check this periodically. The raffle is planned for a week after the Direct occurs.

Wapeach
  • f6b.jpg

Third and final thread giveaway
  • I wish I had taken the time to do this before the incredible Pokémon launch, but I figure that it's better to do it now than later still.

So, January is almost over. Yes, there's still hope among the most stalwart members of #TeamJanuary, but others may be wavering a bit. I can imagine that many would want to give up and change their forum titles.

You may recall that a contingency of the forum title change was that users not change it until the raffle is drawn. However, only the winning team would be eligible for the raffle, so there was no incentive for anyone to wear their team colors after losing.

That's why I'm excited to announce the third and final giveaway for this thread: an additional raffle that will be among just those who changed their forum titles and retained them for the full hype season, regardless of what team wins. This will be drawn at the same time as the winning team's raffle, so please look forward to it.

Similarly, if you're interested in the Build-A-Direct contest and giveaway, please check the threadmarks for that. There haven't been too many submissions so far, and if we don't hit at least ten I won't do the giveaway. Pressure your friends!

Sorry for the long post.

Last Update Before Raffles
  • I've been talking to a few people about what to do with this thread, and I've come to share my plan for what will hopefully be the next week and a bit of the thread.

1. The Build-A-Direct raffle thing is cancelled due to lack of interest and, frankly, me not wanting to put in the effort to find qualifying posts.
    2. When the Direct is announced I will use this site to pick from the list of the winning team, and then pick from the list of team title havers.
    3. I'll @ the winners and ask them to DM me, and then request this thread be closed.

I won't be doing these threads in the future, but I imagine if there is interest someone else will pick them up. Thank you to everyone for playing along, and I'm sorry that I failed to live up to so many of my trivial promises.

Incidentally, I finally got around to deleting my old Discord account, so if you'd like to get in touch with me for some reason the best place to do it for now is here.

Poll Updated
  • Thanks to the staff the poll has been reset!

You can change your vote, but you'll only have three days to vote. I modeled the poll after @Derachi's suggestion.

Keep in mind that this thread will bed closed on March 31st, with or without a Direct.

it's happening
  • okay, so the direct shoukd be announced in a little over either eight or nine hours

if I'm awake, I'll request the lock. if the thread stays open, I'm still asleep and request that one of you request it by reporting the thread

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Back
    Top Bottom