• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST|

When will the next general Direct (full or mini) be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y'know what, a Kirby Direct this week doesn't seem like the most likely option but gosh darn it you guys went out of your way to put it up there and well, I gotta vote for it😼

I voted for nothing, because I'm feeling a Pokemon Presents more for next week, and I feel like they'll chill on hyping other games until Legends is out. 🤷‍♂️

I'm boring, sorry.

I voted for nothing, because I'm feeling a Pokemon Presents more for next week, and I feel like they'll chill on hyping other games until Legends is out. 🤷‍♂️

I'm boring, sorry.
I’m with you on this one. Just not feeling any big news this week. Would be happy to be proven wrong however.

It's coming up on the midpoint of this month so becoming a moment of truth but I still think it will be Feb as always

I could see them dropping some things in Twitter, 2020 style, this week.

So, I know people here and there that work in the press, and I can say that previews for Legends Arceus should be out this Thursday around 7PT. I'm definitely excited tbf
Do you know if it's hands-off previews or based on review copies?

So, I know people here and there that work in the press, and I can say that previews for Legends Arceus should be out this Thursday around 7PT. I'm definitely excited tbf
Excited to see what people think about this but I will take it all with a grain of salt.

I fear that despite the improvements seen in trailers, how it looks will still paint a lot of opinions.

I actually expect kirby in a direct

Idk it feels like a big deal, first 3D game in the series and whatnot. I was thinking deep dive in a direct. Not a yoshi-tier Twitter drop

1. thanks for the tip
2. fuck I wanted kirby
Just to make It clear, I'm not at insider or anything, I Just worked as gaming journalist in my country and still have some connections, and sometimes they throw me a bone. I thought It was on wednesday but apparently i missread

I remember the same kind of argument being used during the long direct hiatus.
but this is backed by fact. they did sonething similar for Pikmin 3 Deluxe and Yoshi

Yeah, I guess probably. The Kirby date could just be a tweet too.

Or they might announce the casual horse stinker game, Emily did imply it's releasing early in the year.
Oh yeah, that would make sense, too. That'd be crazy leapfrog though

I legit hope there is a Pokemon Direct tomorrow or Wednesday. I suspect the cool Hisuian forms will leak out any day now, and if GameFreak actually made a good game I'd rather that it's presented than leaked. To be honest though Legends looks a bit bare, but I hope the Presents proves me wrong.

I'm really surprised how decent the game looks graphically. Other than the town, everything looks good! And the gameplay looks great too.

there isn't time though

they need to date it before feb 3
I went looking through previous financial result reports because I could have sworn there was a time that Nintendo had no dated games on one, but it looks like I'm wrong. They've had periods with no dated games before (like a few weeks post-ACNH in 2020) but unless I missed it somehow, they've never had no dated games at the time of a financial briefing. I couldn't even find one where there weren't at least two.

So you're right, we're either getting a date for Kirby, or some other unknown game will appear out of nowhere soon; for example, last year New Pokemon Snap! was announced just before the February financial briefing.

I went looking through previous financial result reports because I could have sworn there was a time that Nintendo had no dated games on one, but it looks like I'm wrong. They've had periods with no dated games before (like a few weeks post-ACNH in 2020) but unless I missed it somehow, they've never had no dated games at the time of a financial briefing. I couldn't even find one where there weren't at least two.

So you're right, we're either getting a date for Kirby, or some other unknown game will appear out of nowhere soon; for example, last year New Pokemon Snap! was announced just before the February financial briefing.
yep, they do the last minute "shit shit shit shit date a game date a game" thing a lot lol

yep, they do the last minute "shit shit shit shit date a game date a game" thing a lot lol
It's really interesting to go back and compare and see just how much heavy lifting the February Direct and Pokemon Day last year did for US release dates and announcements. Compare this (February 2021):

Finance1.png

To this (May 2021):

Finance2.png

Luckily we won't have to worry about a single game being dated when the January Direct, which is definitely a thing that is happening, is announced tomorrow

I wonder if this lends credence to the idea of a (hopefully regular, non-mini) January Direct? Because unless I'm forgetting something, Nintendo doesn't have any game dated, right? Not counting Triangle Strategy I guess, since they aren't publishing that in Japan and it's obviously not a Nintendo game.

I guess they could just announce Kirby's release date and drop a trailer for a new game (stinky horse?) on Twitter or whatever, but I feel like that was mainly something that only happened in 2020 because of... well, you know. If Nintendo wants to have multiple games dated prior to their financial meeting like previous years then I feel like the fabled January Direct is the best, and most likely way to reveal new stuff and some release dates.

I wonder if this lends credence to the idea of a (hopefully regular, non-mini) January Direct? Because unless I'm forgetting something, Nintendo doesn't have any game dated, right? Not counting Triangle Strategy I guess, since they aren't publishing that in Japan and it's obviously not a Nintendo game.

I guess they could just announce Kirby's release date and drop a trailer for a new game (stinky horse?) on Twitter or whatever, but I feel like that was mainly something that only happened in 2020 because of... well, you know. If Nintendo wants to have multiple games dated prior to their financial meeting like previous years then I feel like the fabled January Direct is the best, and most likely way to reveal new stuff and some release dates.
I've been saying that, despite my measured allegiance to #TeamFebruary, this year would be a very fitting year for a January Direct.

• we have no dates besides Pokémon and the two technicalities
  • we need details on Kirby and Splatoon
  • we're due announcements for the first half in general

I still think that most can wait and indeed they will want to focus on Pokémon, but if there was ever a year for January to make sense it's this one

@mods. Please forgive my previous gif. I didn't see it at first and did realize later that it was inapropriate. Just wanna let ya'll know there was no ill intent

With that out of the way.

Still TeamJanuary!

hype-train-activated-bowser.gif

I distinctly remember them announcing Origami King a week after their financial breefing so I'm not sure they need dates in them. Or at least they don't announce stuff based on them.

Teams are final!
Alright everybody, since I have insomnia, I'm calling it early. The teams listed in the threadmarks are final, barring any previous posts that I've missed. Thank you to everyone for participating. Will #TeamJanuary be vindicated today? Probably not. That would be cool though, right?

I distinctly remember them announcing Origami King a week after their financial breefing so I'm not sure they need dates in them. Or at least they don't announce stuff based on them.
They did, I think, yeah, which seemed a little odd but that was in 2020. Also by the time that financial meeting happened they had had the Mini a month or so before that announced dates for XCDE and Clubhouse Games.

The main point being, AFAIK they have literally never had a financial briefing that had zero Nintendo games dated for Japan. So I’m expecting SOMETHING to get a date within the next three weeks.

The teams listed in the threadmarks are final, barring any previous posts that I've missed.
Guess I missed the deadline in the OP of January 7th 11:59 PM when I made my comment on January 9th? Oops. I'll be sure not to miss the deadline next time.

Either way I think Team February's got it, but I wouldn't mind earlier news.

Guess I missed the deadline in the OP of January 7th 11:59 PM when I made my comment on January 9th? Oops. I'll be sure not to miss the deadline next time.

Either way I think Team February's got it, but I wouldn't mind earlier news.
you've been added, sorry I missed it

I had to set a deadline for new requests at some point, and that somehow became today. I suppose I was busy on the 7th and the 7th became the 8th and so on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom