• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST|

When will the next general Direct (full or mini) be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Team February checking in!

I always try to temper my expectations. Nowadays, if I come away from a Direct learning about a single new game I intend to purchase, I'm usually happy. Especially if it's a stealth, same-day release!

I'm extremely excited to learn the official title for BOTW2. How long before release do they usually announce the title?

Will they announced the fabled TP+WW HD in this Direct? I'm honestly starting to doubt it will happen.

I can see Mario Galaxy 2, though, since I don't think we will have a Mario game this year otherwise.

Will they announced the fabled TP+WW HD in this Direct? I'm honestly starting to doubt it will happen.

I can see Mario Galaxy 2, though, since I don't think we will have a Mario game this year otherwise.

I think TP/WW might happen this year, but only if BOTW2 gets delayed to 2023.

Wdym they are not addding Tetsucabra to Sunbreak? Worst Direct ever, smh.
I like the implication that the devs will just come out and say "We know a lot of people have been looking forward to old favorites, like Tetsucabra, but honestly fuck that, that froggy bastard ain't getting nowhere near this game"

Ok, it's finally February and it's time I made my own predictions. I'll try to be as realistic as possible.

• Opener: Donkey Kong: Trouble in New Donk City. 2.5D game with branching paths, similar to Klonoa. DK, Diddy and Dixie playable and instead of full jungle it's city setting with vines and trees surround the skyscrapers. Mayor of New Donk is now K rool and we have to stop him crocofying the city. September 2022.
  • Happy Birthday Tomb Raider! All three of the new TR series are coming to Switch around summer. Previously announced Lara Croft games shadowdropped after Direct.
  • Prince of Persia trailer. Coming in June.
  • Klonoa Collection HD. Klonoa Wii + 2 and GBA games. May 2022.
  • Mallo's Ultimate Puzzle Chest: All Pushmo titles collected in one pack, also in physical form, coming in April.
  • Splatoon blowout. July 2022.
  • Sunbreak trailer. New locations etc.
  • Borderlands 3 and all DLC gets released in May.
  • Crusader Kings 3 is coming to Switch in June
  • Mario Golf gets DLC based on DK universe. Candy Kong is in!
  • Toukiden 3 from Omega Force, coming fall 2022
  • Psychonauts 1&2 coming to Switch in summer
  • Switch is about to get a lot more Final Fantasy games! FF Pixel Remaster collection arrives in July (Physical). Final Fantasy Tactics remaster is slated for May, Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together is coming in June.
  • Third party reel: Zombie Army 4 Dead War (May), Remnant From The Ashes (March), Wreckfest (April), House of the Dead (March), Scarlet Nexus (June), Biomutant (June), Chorus (summer)
  • New IP 3D platformer from Playtonic, fall
  • Chrono Cross remaster. Widescreen, looks gorgeous. Shadowdropped.
  • More Rare games are coming to NSO: Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing, Battletoads, Battletoads & Double Dragon, Killer Instinct Gold. Battletoads games get shadowdropped.
  • Closer: Metroid Prime 1 reimagining... AND A ONLINE HUNTERS MODE! The boys are back! All of them! And there are new ones too. Metroid Prime X is coming in August.

BotW and Bayo 3 in E3. I don't expect DQ3, Mass Effect or Alan Wake in the Direct.

I like the implication that the devs will just come out and say "We know a lot of people have been looking forward to old favorites, like Tetsucabra, but honestly fuck that, that froggy bastard ain't getting nowhere near this game"
Somehow I just know Ichinose/Suzuki will come out and do just that, with those exact words, specifically to spite me personally.

Edit: Maybe they even retcon Hojo's baby Tetsucabra to rub it in even more.

Acquisition, acquisition, acquisition…

Desperately need a direct to change up this gaming news landscape lol

Ok, it's finally February and it's time I made my own predictions. I'll try to be as realistic as possible.

• Opener: Donkey Kong: Trouble in New Donk City. 2.5D game with branching paths, similar to Klonoa. DK, Diddy and Dixie playable and instead of full jungle it's city setting with vines and trees surround the skyscrapers. Mayor of New Donk is now K rool and we have to stop him crocofying the city. September 2022.

I'd workshop the title but the concept is solid.

An overgrown, human-free city would look really cool. And they could work in some variety without abandoning the theme fairly easy. Flooded subway for underwater levels. Central park for some greener, more natural looking levels. Boardwalk for a carnival/theme park setting. Factory/Construction setting. Winter levels in the city. Abandoned overgrown shopping mall. Hiking trails with the city skyline in the background (and a New Donk City sign like Hollywood). Aquarium levels.

Boss battle ideas: Broadway theater stage. "Crocified" zoo animals escaped from their cages. Boardwalk mechanical animatronic. Construction equipment.

I legit love this idea. My mind is racing with ideas.

Sorry I'm late. Could we have the Direct now?

You see, my wife, she has been most vocal on the subject of the Nintendo Direct. "Where's the Direct? "When are you going to get the Direct?" "Why aren't you getting the Direct?" And so on. So please, the Direct.

I don't see them announcing TP+WW HD unless they also announce that BOTW2 is delayed to 2023.

Just show me the new DK game. If it’s coming this year does Nintendo really want to wait until “E3” to announce it? We have to look at these kinds of things.

I feel like some games you don’t want to wait until E3 to announce for this year. If Mario Kart and BotW 2 were coming do you wait to announce Mario Kart at E3? I’d say no.

The DK game is literally the Big Foot of Nintendo news. Some people have claimed to have spotted it walking around in the woods but many reputable Nintendo leak researchers have seen no evidence of this mythical beast.

As far as the DK game goes I believe Nate said he’s heard of it and Zippo (believe him or not is up to you). Emily, I believe still hasn’t heard about it?

Nate said he doesn’t know if the game is 2D or 3D. 2D is going off of what Zippo has said. Actually, DK Vine said they heard about it, but I don’t know what insider knowledge they have.

You see, my wife, she has been most vocal on the subject of the Nintendo Direct. "Where's the Direct? "When are you going to get the Direct?" "Why aren't you getting the Direct?" And so on. So please, the Direct.

Nintendo, you have 24 hours to air the Direct.

And to show you I'm serious, you now have 12 hours.
The-Simpsons-Fat-Tony-2.jpg

Small brain: there could be a Nintendo Direct next week

BIG Brain: there could be an Acquisition Direct next week

God, I'm so sick of this already. Help.

In the previous thread I had made a direct prediction, given a things that have happened since then and after giving it more thought, I now present my final direct prediction.

The direct will air on February 9th at 6pm EST.

- The direct will open with a black screen and slowly a text starts to fill it out saying 'Unidentified distress beacon has been tracked to a derelict space vessel in orbit above Tallon IV." Cuts to a 30 second trailer of Metriod Prime Remake announced for fall 2022.

- Yoshiaki Koizumi greets us and asks us what we think. He then proceeds to tell us, that is not all we have to show for Metroid fans today, please take a look at this snaps fingers

- Metroid Dread is getting DLC, 2 new areas and difficulty settings. Will be released immediately after the direct.

- Triangle Strategy final trailer + new demo that carries over to final game.

- Fantasian is coming to Nintendo Switch summer 2022

- Bully - The Definitive Edition summer 2022.

- Splatoon 3 gets a 5 min trailer + global test fire. Battle Royale mode announced. Will launch on May 27th

- Kirby and the Forgotten Land - new trailer, new transformations, big gameplay surprise shown,

- Fall Guys trailer and it is coming immediately after the direct.

- Mario Party Superstars DLC expansion pass announced. Will include 4 new boards, 8 new characters to be released over the course of a year. The DLC will be free to NSO subscribers and will cost 19.99 if purchased separately.

- Advance Wars 1+2 trailer and the game looks significantly better! Launches April 8th.

- New Pushmo game available immediately after the direct for Switch online + expansion pass members.

- Dragon Quest 3 HD2D remake confirmed for Switch. 2022. No release day.

- Final Fantasy pixel remaster coming to Switch spring 2022. Collectors edition announced with all games included on the cartridge.

- Final Fantasy XIII coming to Switch in summer of 2022

- Tales of Arise (cloud version)- Summer 2022

- Fire Emblem: Three Houses sequel July 15th 2022

- Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - August 26th 2022

- Koizumi comes back on screen and tells there is one more thing he would like to show us.

- Mario Kart X - Holiday 2022

side note: my heart wants to see Zelda so badly, but I feel like we will see it a separate event. Or we get an announcement that it has been delayed and they gives TP and WW

It's an experiment insofar as they went ahead and did it and made four of them from July to October

Yes the pandemic made regular directs not happen. But the way they executed those partner directs, suggests it was a concious effort to try something different or they could have just done a single info dump direct
I don't think they had any intention to continue with partner directs after 2020. It suited that particular time because:

1. They still needed to promote some titles even though a lot of their internal teams were struggling
2. The monthly format was very well suited to the uncertainty of the pandemic. If some partners miss a deadline and can't make the showcase, you just move their content to the next one

You mean you only bought a Switch to get video games in return? Oh MisterSpo. I will say good day to you sir.

• Happy Birthday Tomb Raider! All three of the new TR series are coming to Switch around summer. Previously announced Lara Croft games shadowdropped after Direct.
  • Prince of Persia trailer. Coming in June.
  • Klonoa Collection HD. Klonoa Wii + 2 and GBA games. May 2022.
  • Mallo's Ultimate Puzzle Chest: All Pushmo titles collected in one pack, also in physical form, coming in April.
  • Splatoon blowout. July 2022.
  • Sunbreak trailer. New locations etc.
  • Borderlands 3 and all DLC gets released in May.
  • Crusader Kings 3 is coming to Switch in June
  • Mario Golf gets DLC based on DK universe. Candy Kong is in!
  • Toukiden 3 from Omega Force, coming fall 2022
  • Psychonauts 1&2 coming to Switch in summer
  • Switch is about to get a lot more Final Fantasy games! FF Pixel Remaster collection arrives in July (Physical). Final Fantasy Tactics remaster is slated for May, Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together is coming in June.
  • Third party reel: Zombie Army 4 Dead War (May), Remnant From The Ashes (March), Wreckfest (April), House of the Dead (March), Scarlet Nexus (June), Biomutant (June), Chorus (summer)
  • New IP 3D platformer from Playtonic, fall
  • Chrono Cross remaster. Widescreen, looks gorgeous. Shadowdropped.
  • More Rare games are coming to NSO: Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing, Battletoads, Battletoads & Double Dragon, Killer Instinct Gold. Battletoads games get shadowdropped.
  • Closer: Metroid Prime 1 reimagining... AND A ONLINE HUNTERS MODE! The boys are back! All of them! And there are new ones too. Metroid Prime X is coming in August.

BotW and Bayo 3 in E3. I don't expect DQ3, Mass Effect or Alan Wake in the Direct.
I absolutely love that prediction. I would only change Metroid Remake and put in XC3😉

Last Update Before Raffles
I've been talking to a few people about what to do with this thread, and I've come to share my plan for what will hopefully be the next week and a bit of the thread.

1. The Build-A-Direct raffle thing is cancelled due to lack of interest and, frankly, me not wanting to put in the effort to find qualifying posts.
2. When the Direct is announced I will use this site to pick from the list of the winning team, and then pick from the list of team title havers.
3. I'll @ the winners and ask them to DM me, and then request this thread be closed.

I won't be doing these threads in the future, but I imagine if there is interest someone else will pick them up. Thank you to everyone for playing along, and I'm sorry that I failed to live up to so many of my trivial promises.

Incidentally, I finally got around to deleting my old Discord account, so if you'd like to get in touch with me for some reason the best place to do it for now is here.

Teams are fun but honestly we all just want a place to discuss the next direct, so no pressure to anyone who picks it up in the future

The journey is part of the fun!

In the previous thread I had made a direct prediction, given a things that have happened since then and after giving it more thought, I now present my final direct prediction.

The direct will air on February 9th at 6pm EST.

- The direct will open with a black screen and slowly a text starts to fill it out saying 'Unidentified distress beacon has been tracked to a derelict space vessel in orbit above Tallon IV." Cuts to a 30 second trailer of Metriod Prime Remake announced for fall 2022.

- Yoshiaki Koizumi greets us and asks us what we think. He then proceeds to tell us, that is not all we have to show for Metroid fans today, please take a look at this snaps fingers

- Metroid Dread is getting DLC, 2 new areas and difficulty settings. Will be released immediately after the direct.

- Triangle Strategy final trailer + new demo that carries over to final game.

- Fantasian is coming to Nintendo Switch summer 2022

- Bully - The Definitive Edition summer 2022.

- Splatoon 3 gets a 5 min trailer + global test fire. Battle Royale mode announced. Will launch on May 27th

- Kirby and the Forgotten Land - new trailer, new transformations, big gameplay surprise shown,

- Fall Guys trailer and it is coming immediately after the direct.

- Mario Party Superstars DLC expansion pass announced. Will include 4 new boards, 8 new characters to be released over the course of a year. The DLC will be free to NSO subscribers and will cost 19.99 if purchased separately.

- Advance Wars 1+2 trailer and the game looks significantly better! Launches April 8th.

- New Pushmo game available immediately after the direct for Switch online + expansion pass members.

- Dragon Quest 3 HD2D remake confirmed for Switch. 2022. No release day.

- Final Fantasy pixel remaster coming to Switch spring 2022. Collectors edition announced with all games included on the cartridge.

- Final Fantasy XIII coming to Switch in summer of 2022

- Tales of Arise (cloud version)- Summer 2022

- Fire Emblem: Three Houses sequel July 15th 2022

- Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - August 26th 2022

- Koizumi comes back on screen and tells there is one more thing he would like to show us.

- Mario Kart X - Holiday 2022

side note: my heart wants to see Zelda so badly, but I feel like we will see it a separate event. Or we get an announcement that it has been delayed and they gives TP and WW
Definitely a nice dream to have

Since I am expecting a Triangle Strategy demo, the 17th would be too close to the actual release date (2 weeks).

Therefore I believe next week is the likeliest week by far (since they have their earnings this week).
This.

Which say do you think it'll be?

What do you think new areas would be? Side content? Or would you have to replay the game to experience them?

And what about difficulty? Extra-hard mode? Casual mode is more likely. I'd love to see a boss rush mode. Or a speedrun mode, but I'm not sure what that would entail.

I'm guessing we'll see a title and release date in a normal Direct, but then have a stand-alone Zelda direct to go over new gameplay mechanics.

if we were getting Dread DLC.i think it would be a boss rush mode and two new difficulty options (easy and harder). New areas doesnt make sense since it would change the meta of the game's speedrunning, and nintendo/mercurysteam seems to really care about that this time around.

Why would Nintendo hold a Direct a week earlier than they ever have because of a third party game's second/third demo? They're not even publishing it in Japan and I don't see why two weeks before release is too early or late for a demo release.

I would love to see it happen on the 9th, but it's not a surefire thing because of a single third party game. The 17th is the week of the thirteenth, which is when Nintendo have historically held their general February Directs. Both the 1st week Directs indicated in the tweet above were game specific Directs- namely the New Leaf and XBCX Directs.

Why would Nintendo hold a Direct a week earlier than they ever have because of a third party game's second/third demo? They're not even publishing it in Japan and I don't see why two weeks before release is too early or late for a demo release.

I would love to see it happen on the 9th, but it's not a surefire thing because of a single third party game. The 17th is the week of the thirteenth, which is when Nintendo have historically held their general February Directs. Both the 1st week Directs indicated in the tweet above were game specific Directs- namely the New Leaf and XBCX Directs.
Personally I think it'll be on the 9th because the Mario Movie will show up at the Super Bowl the following week.

My predictions:

New mainline FE, slated for Summer.

Triangle Strategy final demo, shadowdropped, save file carries over.

Advance Wars trailer+release date. Demo announced, save file carries over.

Heavy focus on Splatoon 3 similar to how Three Houses was focused in February 2019 Direct. Test Fire announced.

This is the final chance in my opinion but here goes: First ever Persona mainline game comes to Nintendo Switch: Persona 4 Golden announced and only available within Midnight Collection bundle, digital in the West only.

Lots of ports from SQ such as Final Fantasy Pixel remasters, Tactics Ogre and other games that were leaked on GeForce database.

Major SQ announcement: Final Fantasy IX Remake.

Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak major trailer, showing new locales, monsters and wirebug moves as well as the release date.

Big prediction here: Ace Attorney 7 is finally revealed. Built on RE engine, looks very beautiful, animated amazingly and it's written and directed by Shu Takumi.

Bayonetta 3 trailer, teasing more story, release date announced.

More trailers and updates for Kirby, Pokemon Legends/Unite and more.

3rd party montage featuring Assassin's Creed Ezio Collection, 13 Sentinels and AI Nirvana.

Last year Direct announced a first party game that was 1+ year away which was Splatoon 3. This time, it will be Xenoblade Chronicles 3 which will be slated for 2023.

End the Direct with Metroid Prime 1 remake/remaster.

I don't think we will see anything on DK, Mario Kart team, Metroid Prime 4 or Zelda. Those will be saved for "E3".

Personally Id love to see Retros new game. Hopefully they had something aside of metroid prime 4 or a remake of mp1.
If its DKC I will loose my shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom