• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST|

When will the next general Direct (full or mini) be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
At least Xenoblade 3 has the advantage of being a AAA Jrpg and potentially the only one in the February direct. It has the potential to bring in a lot of views, especially if it's the tech showcase that the rumors were talking.

Would they announce Fire Emblem in the same direct where they could talk about so many other tactical RPG games?
Triangle Strategy is a thing and published by Nintendo outside of Japan, Advance Wars is a tactical strategy game, potentially new Mario + Rabbids trailer (?), Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster and Tactics ogre Remaster rumors, new mention of Metal Slug Tactics and more

It really seems like the genre is saturated for the first half of the year.
I mean, most of that (besides AW, which was delayed from 2021 and isn't even releasing in Japan) isn't from Nintendo tbf. FE shouldn't not be revealed and released just because a bunch of small-time SRPG's (and M+R 2) just so happen to be releasing in the same year as a big new FE game. Most of what you listed will be so minor compared to FE that the abundance of SRPG's will probably go pretty unnoticed lol. The only other major release is M+R 2 which 1) is potentially (?) getting delayed to 2023 and 2) is very different from FE anyway—and probably attracts a very different audience than FE. Hell, all those other games you listed will also probably be a lot different (and much lower budget) than FE 2022, which will probably continue to expand upon the JRPG elements and character interactions/relationships and be much heavier on the story as opposed to being just a straight tactics game without most of the elements that make FE unique and appealing to the wider audience.

TL;DR: It's not a big deal imo

If other companies can have too many shooters in their presentations, we can definitely have too many TRPGs. Plus, given that it sounds like M+R might be delayed, it probably won’t be in this month’s direct.
M+R is definitely not H1 2022. Holiday 2022, at best -- though I believe my infoof a delay to 2023 will prove accurate as the CY moves forward.

Nintendo were happy for their three biggest releases in the first half of 2019 to be variations on the 2D platformer and two of them were Mario games. The third was a Yoshi game.

I doubt they care too much about those other games when it comes to announcing Fire Emblem and releasing it soon. Some of the games that are being talked about are only rumoured, and some of them aren't even guaranteed for this year. Triangle Strategy will have had its time in the sun before any Fire Emblem title launches. Things like Metal Slug Tactics and Advance Wars belong in the tactics/strategy genre, but they're also pretty far removed from Fire Emblem's medieval fantasy setting. I'd also expect a couple of months between Advance Wars releasing and Fire Emblem releasing.

Similarly, if Nintendo want to start talking about Xenoblade Chronicles 3, I don't see them avoiding that because of Fire Emblem. Presumably they space the releases out, but I see no reason to avoid showing one if they show the other.

There's always the possibility this Direct features more than 3 retail titles being announced by Nintendo. Last year's Direct was packed with spring and early summer releases.

Pokémon dlc will be in a Pokémon presentation
I don't mean anything in-depth; more like, "Are you enjoying Pokémon Legends: Arceus? Then get ready for some exciting DLC coming later this year. Details will be revealed at a later date."

Hold on. I’m positive to covid.
Nintendo this is the right time to show us the direct, do it for me
I don't see you on the list for Team January, Team February, or Team March, so I'm not sure how to feel about this news.

Just kidding, of course. I'm not a monster. Get well soon. May you serve as an inspiration to us all! (Especially if you're Team January.)

In a covidless world it would be about time to see glimpses of NLG’s next game.

Wonder how hard WFH hit them and if we should expect it soon

I mean, most of that (besides AW, which was delayed from 2021 and isn't even releasing in Japan) isn't from Nintendo tbf. FE shouldn't not be revealed and released just because a bunch of small-time SRPG's (and M+R 2) just so happen to be releasing in the same year as a big new FE game. Most of what you listed will be so minor compared to FE that the abundance of SRPG's will probably go pretty unnoticed lol. The only other major release is M+R 2 which 1) is potentially (?) getting delayed to 2023 and 2) is very different from FE anyway—and probably attracts a very different audience than FE. Hell, all those other games you listed will also probably be a lot different (and much lower budget) than FE 2022, which will probably continue to expand upon the JRPG elements and character interactions/relationships and be much heavier on the story as opposed to being just a straight tactics game without most of the elements that make FE unique and appealing to the wider audience.

I don't think it's fair to call Triangle strategy minor while touting FE a big thing like you're saying. If it performs similarly to Octopath traveller, which is the only comparison we can really make, it'll break 2m with no sweat. (Octopath is over 2.5m, with the vast majority being the Switch version).

Expecting to punch in the same weight class as Fire Emblem is pretty reasonable.

also no war of genesis love?

Predicting Ace Attorney 7 and that supposed new Resident Evil game for the next direct. It's time.

I would not say no to a steakpunk Fire Emblem. They already dabbled in the idea in FE Heroes, after all.

612537-Fireemblemheroesbookv.jpg

5e9.jfif

war of genesis might be right up to your alley
vampire-no.gif

Edit: I only now realised there is also a War of Genesis coming to consoles and it seemingly has no relation to the mobile MMORPG, which popped up first when I did a quick google search. I will leave my initial reaction for everyone to see, so people can point at and ridicule me for it.

Last edited:
Alright everyone has convinced me Fire Emblem and Xenoblade 3 will be announced in the direct. Xenoblade 3 will definitely be the closer just like Xenoblade Chronicles X and XenoblaDE were for their respective directs.

Now I’ve got too much excitement and hype!

I'm hyped for the next FE, but I'm not ready lol.

I'm still playing FE4 and still need to get to Three Houses. No way I'll finish all of that this year.

Same with Xenoblade, still need to beat 2 and haven't even bought the remaster. My backlog just doesn't want to decrease.

I hope the next Direct will be weeb as heck, fuel my weeb heart. Give me more JRPGs.

I could see them saving that for E3.
That’s true but maybe they could save the date for E3 and show only the title now? Like they did with BOWT, they showed the game and the title at E3 2016 and then the date at the switch showcase. It was a very different situation tho

I'm playing Three Houses and loving it. I can't wait to see how the next FE will look like. Hope it's a July game.

I would love to get a 2023 teaser too like Triangle Strategy and Splatoon 3 in February 2021. I would bet that would be Super Mario Odyssey 2. And Metroid Prime 4.

I think that now that E3 is cancelled (and Ninty probably have known this earlier than us), there's a chance we get Metroid Prime Remaster announcement and Metroid Prime 4 reveal teaser this Direct already.

I also think Zelda might be shown, if they don't prioritize June as there won't be E3.

I do think Nintendo will be taking upcoming releases into account when it comes to reveals. They're publishing Traingle Strategy and Advance Wars after all, so it doesn't make sense to kneecap themselves on that front by revealing a new FE which steals all the attention. I think there's only a pressing need to reveal it if they're planning to launch it this summer. If it's a winter release, they can wait until the summer direct.

I think we haven't seen Xenoblade 3 yet for similar reasons, Nintento were pushing SMTV as their big JRPG game and didn't want to be competing with themselves. Now that's out, the way is clear for a reveal without treading on their, and Atlus', toes.

I hate when an insider say “im hearing the direct will take place this month”. Duuuh. Come on give us some real date
Also it’s kinda obvious that there will be a direct this month lol so it’s not really an insider thing

Also thank you! I hope I’ll get better soon \o/

I'm playing Three Houses and loving it. I can't wait to see how the next FE will look like. Hope it's a July game.

I would love to get a 2023 teaser too like Triangle Strategy and Splatoon 3 in February 2021. I would bet that would be Super Mario Odyssey 2. And Metroid Prime 4.

I think that now that E3 is cancelled (and Ninty probably have known this earlier than us), there's a chance we get Metroid Prime Remaster announcement and Metroid Prime 4 reveal teaser this Direct already.

I also think Zelda might be shown, if they don't prioritize June as there won't be E3.
E3 wasn’t cancelled.

Emily is the only insider I give any attention to anymore, and it’s clear that some of her information is missing context or just older and no longer an accurate depiction of Nintendo’s plans.

And that’s okay. We’re not supposed to know much beyond what Nintendo’s marketing has officially put forward.

Emily is the only insider I give any attention to anymore, and it’s clear that some of her information is missing context or just older and no longer an accurate depiction of Nintendo’s plans.

And that’s okay. We’re not supposed to know much beyond what Nintendo’s marketing has officially put forward.
Yeah Dark Cloud is still at the top, then a drop to Emily followed by Nathaniel Drakester.

Also, isn't this month the next event for Persona 25th anniversary? Provided that the website wasn't a glitch/bug, I can see Person 4 Golden getting announced in the Direct.

List time we got third party opener for a general Direct, we got Overwatch. What could make the same impact as Overwatch? Mass Effect?
Last September MH Rise Sunbreak was the opener. I agree that Only a massive IP could take the spot, when It comes to third parties. My Chips are on Fire Emblem, anyway.

Also, isn't this month the next event for Persona 25th anniversary? Provided that the website wasn't a glitch/bug, I can see Person 4 Golden getting announced in the Direct.
Yeah I see Persona 4 G being announced in the direct. We heard it’s coming. Just makes sense to announce it now. Damn it might truly be a JRPG love fest in this direct lmao

Last September MH Rise Sunbreak was the opener. I agree that Only a massive IP could take the spot, when It comes to third parties. My Chips are on Fire Emblem, anyway.
There's usually several surprise 3rd party games sprinkled throughout the directs, all the leaks leading up to its announcement aside, Monster Hunter would have been a surprise reveal as well. Though there is no firm pattern for them to show up, granted September directs tend to be more third party focused.

Your guess is as good as mine, but there could be some surprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom