• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST|

When will the next general Direct (full or mini) be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the previous thread I had made a direct prediction, given a things that have happened since then and after giving it more thought, I now present my final direct prediction.

The direct will air on February 9th at 6pm EST.

- The direct will open with a black screen and slowly a text starts to fill it out saying 'Unidentified distress beacon has been tracked to a derelict space vessel in orbit above Tallon IV." Cuts to a 30 second trailer of Metriod Prime Remake announced for fall 2022.

- Yoshiaki Koizumi greets us and asks us what we think. He then proceeds to tell us, that is not all we have to show for Metroid fans today, please take a look at this snaps fingers

- Metroid Dread is getting DLC, 2 new areas and difficulty settings. Will be released immediately after the direct.

- Triangle Strategy final trailer + new demo that carries over to final game.

- Fantasian is coming to Nintendo Switch summer 2022

- Bully - The Definitive Edition summer 2022.

- Splatoon 3 gets a 5 min trailer + global test fire. Battle Royale mode announced. Will launch on May 27th

- Kirby and the Forgotten Land - new trailer, new transformations, big gameplay surprise shown,

- Fall Guys trailer and it is coming immediately after the direct.

- Mario Party Superstars DLC expansion pass announced. Will include 4 new boards, 8 new characters to be released over the course of a year. The DLC will be free to NSO subscribers and will cost 19.99 if purchased separately.

- Advance Wars 1+2 trailer and the game looks significantly better! Launches April 8th.

- New Pushmo game available immediately after the direct for Switch online + expansion pass members.

- Dragon Quest 3 HD2D remake confirmed for Switch. 2022. No release day.

- Final Fantasy pixel remaster coming to Switch spring 2022. Collectors edition announced with all games included on the cartridge.

- Final Fantasy XIII coming to Switch in summer of 2022

- Tales of Arise (cloud version)- Summer 2022

- Fire Emblem: Three Houses sequel July 15th 2022

- Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - August 26th 2022

- Koizumi comes back on screen and tells there is one more thing he would like to show us.

- Mario Kart X - Holiday 2022

side note: my heart wants to see Zelda so badly, but I feel like we will see it a separate event. Or we get an announcement that it has been delayed and they gives TP and WW
great list but a bit to JRPG heavy to be true.

Will they announced the fabled TP+WW HD in this Direct? I'm honestly starting to doubt it will happen.

I can see Mario Galaxy 2, though, since I don't think we will have a Mario game this year otherwise.
ww and tp can stay where they are. There are more then enough zelda games on switch with breath of the wild, links awakening and skyward sword.

xenoblade x though

If I had to pick a day, I'd go for the 17th. But I wouldn't rule out the 9th, 10th, or 16th either. No matter what early next week we'll have our first real major chance in a long time.

When people say E3, they mean "whatever Nintendo does instead of E3 this year" be it a June Direct, etc.

Sure... but why would Nintendo wait for June... E3 is dead anyway, so for this year they can do whenever they desire... also I don't think they will be at summer game show either.

Sure... but why would Nintendo wait for June... E3 is dead anyway, so for this year they can do whenever they desire... also I don't think they will be at summer game show either.
They traditionally like to have a big direct in each non-holiday quarter of the year. June is typically just a good spot for that Q2 direct just like February is a good spot for a Q1 direct.

Let's not forget Nintendo was (is?) on the board of the ESA, it's not like they begrudgingly went to E3. They had a say in when it would take place.

Personally I'm all aboard the "February Direct should be 2 Directs In 1" train. I didn't even know that was a train.

CHOO CHOO

They traditionally like to have a big direct in each non-holiday quarter of the year. June is typically just a good spot for that Q2 direct just like February is a good spot for a Q1 direct.

Let's not forget Nintendo was (is?) on the board of the ESA, it's not like they begrudgingly went to E3. They had a say in when it would take place.

Well yeah it makes a lot of sense, when it read it trough again.

So an Online E3 is still possible?
I believe so, yes, but most people in and around the industry don't seem to be super optimistic about it. But nothing is official AFAIK and we probably won't learn anything for sure for a while yet.

Potential announcement on the february direct

I’m putting a lot of stock in this, definitely seems like a Switch game, with the dual colour, similar to the joy cons themselves. This makes me think there’s honestly still a chance for this week, not sure why they’d trademark the logo at least 8 days before the official announcement

EDIT: Just translated the trademark and there’s mention of “LCD screen game console,” this is 100% a Switch game

Last edited:
I’m putting a lot of stock in this, definitely seems like a Switch game, with the dual colour, similar to the joy cons themselves. This makes me think there’s honestly still a chance for this week, not sure why they’d trademark the logo at least 8 days before the official announcement

EDIT: Just translated the trademark and there’s mention of “LCD screen game console,” this is 100% a Switch game
Definitely going to be announced in the direct

The Nintendo Direct smoke finally begin to appear ! The fire is near !

My prediction:

• 1-2 Switch Sequel, but a different unique idea (Emily's horse person game)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

That's all I got

I don’t think that website refresh means anything in relation to Xenoblade 3 announcement. Mitsuda could be anything. Would seem a little weird for him to be giving people the heads up Xenoblade 3 announcement is coming.

So Goonect and Xenoblade will most likely be there, and it's either this week or next. Hmm.
I highly doubt it'll be this week, since the financial results are happening in ~27 hours and I don't see them doing a Direct either right before or after that

Ok, it's finally February and it's time I made my own predictions. I'll try to be as realistic as possible.

• Opener: Donkey Kong: Trouble in New Donk City. 2.5D game with branching paths, similar to Klonoa. DK, Diddy and Dixie playable and instead of full jungle it's city setting with vines and trees surround the skyscrapers. Mayor of New Donk is now K rool and we have to stop him crocofying the city. September 2022.
  • Happy Birthday Tomb Raider! All three of the new TR series are coming to Switch around summer. Previously announced Lara Croft games shadowdropped after Direct.
  • Prince of Persia trailer. Coming in June.
  • Klonoa Collection HD. Klonoa Wii + 2 and GBA games. May 2022.
  • Mallo's Ultimate Puzzle Chest: All Pushmo titles collected in one pack, also in physical form, coming in April.
  • Splatoon blowout. July 2022.
  • Sunbreak trailer. New locations etc.
  • Borderlands 3 and all DLC gets released in May.
  • Crusader Kings 3 is coming to Switch in June
  • Mario Golf gets DLC based on DK universe. Candy Kong is in!
  • Toukiden 3 from Omega Force, coming fall 2022
  • Psychonauts 1&2 coming to Switch in summer
  • Switch is about to get a lot more Final Fantasy games! FF Pixel Remaster collection arrives in July (Physical). Final Fantasy Tactics remaster is slated for May, Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together is coming in June.
  • Third party reel: Zombie Army 4 Dead War (May), Remnant From The Ashes (March), Wreckfest (April), House of the Dead (March), Scarlet Nexus (June), Biomutant (June), Chorus (summer)
  • New IP 3D platformer from Playtonic, fall
  • Chrono Cross remaster. Widescreen, looks gorgeous. Shadowdropped.
  • More Rare games are coming to NSO: Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing, Battletoads, Battletoads & Double Dragon, Killer Instinct Gold. Battletoads games get shadowdropped.
  • Closer: Metroid Prime 1 reimagining... AND A ONLINE HUNTERS MODE! The boys are back! All of them! And there are new ones too. Metroid Prime X is coming in August.

BotW and Bayo 3 in E3. I don't expect DQ3, Mass Effect or Alan Wake in the Direct.
I like this.

Kudos for being one of those still thinking of Toukiden, as I always believed Koei should give that series another whirl on the Nintendo side of things.

I won't be greedy and say I'd like a port/remaster of Toukiden Kiwami to get people warmed up, but it would definitely be nice!

Nate really screwed my thinking when he said a new Fire Emblem is coming. Now I can’t see Fire Emblem and Xenoblade announced in the same direct. I’m assuming Fire Emblem is coming earlier, if it’s coming later in the year then I can see Xenoblade announced now.

Edit: Alright Zippo said he heard the first direct is this month (yes many of us knew it would be February), but he doesn’t know the contents of it yet.

Last edited:
Nate really screwed my thinking when he said a new Fire Emblem is coming. Now I can’t see Fire Emblem and Xenoblade announced in the same direct. I’m assuming Fire Emblem is coming earlier, if it’s coming later in the year then I can see Xenoblade announced now.

Edit: Alright Zippo said he heard the first direct is this month (yes many of us knew it would be February), but he doesn’t know the contents of it yet.
Yeah I can’t see it either. Two big JRPGs as the opener and closer just doesn’t seem right. FE could be a mid direct reveal too who knows

Also I thought you did not like Zippo lol

They also don't need to announce everything in the February direct. Remember, the 1st direct usually covers content (usually new ) up to the end of the 1st half of the year, with maybe a big tease of something coming later. The focus will be on content up to june or july

Yeah I can’t see it either. Two big JRPGs as the opener and closer just doesn’t seem right. FE could be a mid direct reveal too who knows

Also I thought you did not like Zippo lol
I’m good with zippo lol

But yeah I can’t see them starting and ending with JRPG’s. That’s why I think one will be there then some other Nintendo title like DK or Metroid Prime remaster or something else. Everybody Switch would be somewhere in between the direct.

Last edited:
I’m good with zippo lol

But yeah I can’t see them starting and ending with JRPG’s. That’s why I think one will be there then some other Nintendo title like DK or Metroid Prime remaster or something else. Everybody Switch would be somewhere in between the direct.
I can 100% see them starting and closing on JRPGs, there’s been plenty of Directs in the past filled to the brim with JRPG reveals. I could totally see them opening on FE, announcing a smaller physical release in the middle, announcing XC3 around the end, and maybe teasing another title as the “one more thing”

Yeah Nintendo doesn't seem to have a problem making their Directs very Japanese, despite noteworthy western stuff which often doesn't get the amount of spotlight within the Direct you'd think it would.

There's no reason they cannot have both in a Direct. Not saying whether they will or not; just saying there's nothing preventing it from happening.

I can’t wait to hear people complain again how too Japanese and how weebo or whatever the word is they use to describe too many JRPG announcements.

I’m trying to spread the wealth so everyone can get a little something.

I definitely could see Fire Emblem open the Direct and Xenoblade close the Direct. From leaks it sounds like Fire Emblem is farther along/closer. Either way, I’m fully convinced Xenoblade 3 will get announced here.

I think if Mario is one of the holiday games you announce it at E3. You don’t need as long to promote it.

I’ll be happy if they announce Fire Emblem and Xenoblade in the same direct. I’ll just be off the Internet for a few days after the direct airs though.

Would they announce Fire Emblem in the same direct where they could talk about so many other tactical RPG games?
Triangle Strategy is a thing and published by Nintendo outside of Japan, Advance Wars is a tactical strategy game, potentially new Mario + Rabbids trailer (?), Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster and Tactics ogre Remaster rumors, new mention of Metal Slug Tactics and more

It really seems like the genre is saturated for the first half of the year.

Would they announce Fire Emblem in the same direct where they could talk about so many other tactical RPG games?
Triangle Strategy is a thing and published by Nintendo outside of Japan, Advance Wars is a tactical strategy game, potentially new Mario + Rabbids trailer (?), Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster and Tactics ogre Remaster rumors, new mention of Metal Slug Tactics and more

Seems like overkill, but who knows with Nintendo. I think the overall attitude is Fire Emblem is coming July the latest. If it comes later in the year then Nintendo can wait until E3 to make the announcement. Like you said it seems like too many RPG’s for one direct + Xenoblade 3 on top of it.

If other companies can have too many shooters in their presentations, we can definitely have too many TRPGs. Plus, given that it sounds like M+R might be delayed, it probably won’t be in this month’s direct.

That’s always what has been weirding me out about a new Fire Emblem in general. Is now really the time for it? I guess we could say Advance Wars wasn’t supposed to be delayed like it was, but still four tactics game straight from Nintendo (including Triangle Strategy in this) in less than a year is weird not to mention all of the competition. It’s super cool Strategy RPGs are getting a ton of love this year, but it might be too much and some of those first and third party games are going to get lost in the mix.

Xenoblade will be the breath of fresh air in this instance lol.

if Mario + Rabbids is delayed I agree it won’t show up until E3. Which does suck because of the ambition of the game makes me want to play it more, but of course it requires more development too.

Alright, so here are my predictions in no particular order outside of being separated into first party and third party categories:

First Party
  • First look at an all-new Fire Emblem (2022 release date)
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land trailer
  • First look at upcoming DLC for Pokémon Legends: Arceus
  • Mario Party Superstars DLC
  • Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp trailer (April 2022 release date)
  • Splatoon 3 trailer with Global Testfire for March (late May 2022 release date)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (2023 release date)
Third Party
  • Final Triangle Strategy trailer with new demo shadow-dropped
  • Octopath Traveler 2 reveal (2023 release date)
  • Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster; two collections, digital only
  • Chrono Cross Remaster shadow-dropped
  • 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim trailer with demo announced for March
  • Odin Sphere Leifthrasir announcement trailer (July release date)
  • Persona 4 Arena Ultimax trailer and surprise Persona 4 Golden announcement
  • Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak trailer (June 2022 release date)
  • More arcade packs for Capcom Arcade Stadium (April 2022 release date)
  • Hollow Knight: Silksong trailer (late February 2022 release date)
  • Some western third party trailers that I don't care about

Alright, so here are my predictions in no particular order outside of being separated into first party and third party categories:

First Party
  • First look at an all-new Fire Emblem (2022 release date)
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land trailer
  • First look at upcoming DLC for Pokémon Legends: Arceus
  • Mario Party Superstars DLC
  • Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp trailer (April 2022 release date)
  • Splatoon 3 trailer with Global Testfire for March (late May 2022 release date)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (2023 release date)
Third Party
  • Final Triangle Strategy trailer with new demo shadow-dropped
  • Octopath Traveler 2 reveal (2023 release date)
  • Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster; two collections, digital only
  • Chrono Cross Remaster shadow-dropped
  • 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim trailer with demo announced for March
  • Odin Sphere Leifthrasir announcement trailer (July release date)
  • Persona 4 Arena Ultimax trailer and surprise Persona 4 Golden announcement
  • Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak trailer (June 2022 release date)
  • More arcade packs for Capcom Arcade Stadium (April 2022 release date)
  • Hollow Knight: Silksong trailer (late February 2022 release date)
  • Some western third party trailers that I don't care about
I’d be super into that Direct and wouldn’t be surprised if it was mostly accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom