• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST|

When will the next general Direct (full or mini) be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know how long it takes to plan/build a Direct? I'm wondering if the COVID situation in Japan is gonna mess with the Direct schedule, or if it's already too late.

Does anybody know how long it takes to plan/build a Direct? I'm wondering if the COVID situation in Japan is gonna mess with the Direct schedule, or if it's already too late.
I would imagine that increased restrictions won't have that big of an impact since Japan has been remote working and such for so long by now. But then again I could be way off base. It's hard for me as an American where restrictions (or lack thereof) don't seem to mean anything to most places here to have a good frame of reference for that

There's like a 50% chance this is just a new anime soundtrack or something.

I mean I'll still buy it regardless.

As long as it's not another Japan-only concert announcement 😢
He was pretty open about the anime series he worked on during production, though, as opposed to being hush-hush like Nintendo expects partners to be.

Dang. I didn't mean to snub Luigi like that, but you're absolutely right!

And as for OCs... I really can't even imagine what they will be like, people will either be angry about them like some folks were with Lana and Linkle or love them like with Terrako.

My guess is that whatever OCs we see will be more akin to the "outsiders" that have been a part of Mario RPGs for the last few years; definitely don't fit the aesthetic of Mario and pals, which could be a good or bad thing, depending on how well they come off. The best thing we can hope for is that Koei makes them at least somewhat likeable and fun to play.

Speaking of Star Fox, NLG making a new entry would be amazing. I think they could do justice to the idea that Assault explored, with the mixture of on-foot/tank and air combat. Star Fox is the biggest Nintendo IP not represented by a new game or port on Switch, and hopefully we’ll get something soon. Maybe by 2023, which is the series’ 30th anniversary.
NLG has definitely been on my personal shortlist of "who I'd love to see make a StarFox game", as well.

Of course, my preference would be to see them take the "transformable mecha" angle from SF2 and Zero, and actually expand on it some more in ways that could help with the gameplay. As much as I love Fox and pals, the Arwing should still be the "star" of the show, in my opinion.

Nintendo Direct Predictions (2/9)
  • Kirby and The Forgotten Land is the mid-Direct showcase and will get a mention in the Direct announcement
  • Advance Wars trailer. Demo available after the Direct
  • New Triangle Strategy demo
  • Splatoon 3 releases in July, network tests coming in April
  • 1-2 Switch sequel (horse person means Cowboy)
  • New Mario game for June (there's normally one around June)
  • Fire Emblem is the final announcement, coming in the fall

Nintendo Direct Predictions (2/9)
  • Kirby and The Forgotten Land is the mid-Direct showcase and will get a mention in the Direct announcement
  • Advance Wars trailer. Demo available after the Direct
  • New Triangle Strategy demo
  • Splatoon 3 releases in July, network tests coming in April
  • 1-2 Switch sequel (horse person means Cowboy)
  • New Mario game for June (there's normally one around June)
  • Fire Emblem is the final announcement, coming in the fall
No botw2 :'(

If BotW2 is indeed this year I don't see it missing the next direct. It won't be a blowout, but maybe they'll say something like "stay tuned for much more info in the coming months".

If BotW2 is indeed this year I don't see it missing the next direct. It won't be a blowout, but maybe they'll say something like "stay tuned for much more info in the coming months".
Won't this Direct be packed as it is? They have to announce everything releasing before August, plus show us more of Kirby, Advance Wars, and Splatoon 3. I don't think it's too early to show it, it's just not necessary.

Won't this Direct be packed as it is? They have to announce everything releasing before August, plus show us more of Kirby, Advance Wars, and Splatoon 3. I don't think it's too early to show it, it's just not necessary.
Zelda is always necessary.

There's no reason they need to show more of Kirby or Advance Wars here. If they're there it can be short clips.

Same for BOTW2, it'll probably be another short teaser. I think Splatoon 3 will be the big focus of this Direct, I don't really see it being super packed with other big segments.

democracy and money attached
QqAbAeY_d.webp

@Raccoon

Okay, I've been wanting to try writing up a Direct for a while now, so here we go! I've never done this before and I haven't given this a ton of thought, and I admit a lot of this is more what I WANT to have in there, but anyway:

(note there is no order to this other than the opener and the closer)

• Opener: New Fire Emblem, coming out mid-late summer
  • Mario Party DLC (new boards)
  • Stinky Horse game is 1,2 Switch sequel, revealed here
  • Monster Hunter: Sunbreak, new trailer
  • Something Square-Enix, either Chrono Cross or maybe FF:Tactics?
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land final-ish trailer
  • A Kirby online thing, something like Kirby 35
  • Triangle Strategy reminder
  • Silksong reappears, coming soonish
  • A late 3rd party port of some sort
  • Splatoon 3 "final" trailer and release date for early summer
  • Sizzle reel showing off stuff like Chocobo racing, stuff coming soon-ish, Fall Guys finally gets a date (I could even see Advance Wars only being shown here)
  • Closer: Xenoblade Chronicles 3, no release date other than "2022"

Notable things not here: No Zelda of any kind, that'll be in June. I do feel like I'm missing something Mario-related, but I don't have any idea what that'll be or where it'll fit, so I'm not including it.

Alright, so my first attempts at creating hype events were misguided and terrible. Everything was too complex, too bureaucratic, and introduced too much work relative to the fun for everyone involved.

However, the success of #TeamDirect has got me hankering for another dumb activity for us to do, and I had an epiphany for how to make my terrible ideas palatable, and maybe even fun.

I present to you all this thread's second event, Build-A-Direct Workshop.

The concept for this was initiative was simple: taking the good parts of my old ideas, while throwing out all of the stupid and terrible busywork. My genius truly knows no bounds. So, how will it work? Unlike my previous attempts at manufacturing fun, this should be easy to explain.

All you have to do is write up a Direct. You can be as vague as an unordered list all the way up to estimating how long each trailers and transition will be. You'll be invited to change your Direct as often as you like, up until the Direct is announced at which point all submissions will be final.

After the Direct airs I'll go through all of the submissions and choose the ten that I think are closest to what we got. I'll run a strawpoll thereafter, and the voted winner will receive 20 USD (or local equivalent) of eShop credit.

And that's it! Look at this. No deadlines, no auctions, no fucking variable Wii Points. Just a simple forum game with democracy and money attached. Incredible.

I hope that you all participate. Please @ me in any submissions to the game, which will hopefully help me keep track of them. I'll have the first iteration of my own Direct up sometime today as an example, but keep in mind that submissions can take any form you want. Build-A-Direct Workshop is about creativity, fun, and humor, not rules and obligations.
do we get style points for going off the rails?

is there a special jpeg for anyone who guesses something so fucking off base that ends up being arguably “right in spirit” by absolutely contrived logic?

okay gang this is gonna be LONG

I’m going a post at a time, then I’ll summarize. This might take all week.

Total Time: 38:45

Opener (2:15)

Mario stands on a beach, staring out at the wild blue horizon, dappled with clouds, as seagulls scree for french fries in the distance. It seems calm, leisurely, almost like a vacation.

Perhaps it’s Sunshine 2, you might think.

A blob of slick pollution starts bubbling up in the ocean as the sky turns dark and stormy. Mario is alarmed and watches closely, on guard. It all has a mirror-like sheen. It begins to take form — a ship, a proper old boat, perfectly preserved?

We cut to Mario standing in Princess Peach’s destroyed castle. Things look really bad this time. Like there was a real conflict. Behind the smashed throne, there hangs a mirror. The camera zooms in on it slowly.

We cut back to the beach where the ship is emerging. It flashes and scales — now the titanic, now a battlestar, now twisted roots, now a tall ship again. Something else is swimming under the water, trying to get away. Mario sees it.

We cut to the mirror again. As the camera zooms in, we see several splits — the throne room, as it was before, and as it was before it was finished, and while it was just a patch with a sunbeam in a forest clearing.

Back on the beach, Mario flicks his wrists into the ready position. Two wristbands, one blue and one red, expand and spin around his hands. He frisbee-throws them at the giant blooper beneath the waves, and shackles its tentacles. Mario now controls two of gigantic tentacles, joy-con motion included, to cram the boat back into the mirror sludge. But this is not enough. The ocean splits apart.

Back in the throne room, Mario jumps through the mirror and begins to fall through time. When he lands, he is in front of a walled city in tattered clothes.

We see several vignettes of this game. Dazzling locations, many seemingly out of time, with many demonstrations of the wristbands (distant relatives of cappy, we assume) working in fascinating ways. Sometimes controlling gigantic structures, sometimes like a capture, sometimes controlling two enemies at the same time, sometimes even creating a combination entity of two enemies. They have a psychic link of some kind, and can be used as a linked grappling hook. And more.

We see Mario collect Power Quarks.

Many mechanics seem to imply some kind of quantum entanglement run rampant, but this is not yet explained.

As the visions through the mirrors cascade out of control, we return to the walled city, where Bowser, in tatters and armor, rides a chariot ferociously towards tattered Mario, with shackles of his own. As Bowser is about to tear into him, we cut to the title:

Super Mario Iliad

BotW2 will be at E3 regardless if or if it isn’t in H1 direct.

However it will absolutely be mentioned or teased if some other Zelda thing is shown like TP or WW, they know there’d be meltdowns if not.

That's a damn strong opener. Only thing that your trailer concept's missing is a Trojan Horse allegory.
in the first trailer? I think not!

the real twist here is how Mario and Bowser’s eternal conflict is either echoes of or quantum entangled with that of Hector and Achilles

but is Peach Helen or Agamemnon? or neither? and who did Mario kill that Bowser loved so much?

the answers may surprise you!

@Raccoon

Okay, I've been wanting to try writing up a Direct for a while now, so here we go! I've never done this before and I haven't given this a ton of thought, and I admit a lot of this is more what I WANT to have in there, but anyway:

(note there is no order to this other than the opener and the closer)

• Opener: New Fire Emblem, coming out mid-late summer
  • Mario Party DLC (new boards)
  • Stinky Horse game is 1,2 Switch sequel, revealed here
  • Monster Hunter: Sunbreak, new trailer
  • Something Square-Enix, either Chrono Cross or maybe FF:Tactics?
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land final-ish trailer
  • A Kirby online thing, something like Kirby 35
  • Triangle Strategy reminder
  • Silksong reappears, coming soonish
  • A late 3rd party port of some sort
  • Splatoon 3 "final" trailer and release date for early summer
  • Sizzle reel showing off stuff like Chocobo racing, stuff coming soon-ish, Fall Guys finally gets a date (I could even see Advance Wars only being shown here)
  • Closer: Xenoblade Chronicles 3, no release date other than "2022"

Notable things not here: No Zelda of any kind, that'll be in June. I do feel like I'm missing something Mario-related, but I don't have any idea what that'll be or where it'll fit, so I'm not including it.
This would be a sick direct honestly

Hello everyone, finally my first post on Fami! Still looking for a good Avatar.

As I am craving for news, out of interest I looked up the current job offers at Nintendo of Europe and actually found this one right here... https://www.nintendo.de/jobportal/p..._offers/international_project_coordinator.jsp

...which includes nothing new, but I still found it interesting how Nintendo describes the job in this bullet point:
  • "Coordinating localisation of global video projects (Scheduling, coordinating translation and video editing internally as well as with external agencies)"
Does sound a lot like Directs to me. Could be trailers or ads, too, of course. Anyone of you guys willing to apply?

I know Nintendo is set for a banger year, but does Pokemon, Kirby, Bayo, FE, XC3 (if that's what's being hinted at), AW, Metroid Prime, Splatoon, Mario and BotW2 (and more unrevealed stuff) almost seem too good to people? Like, something's getting pushed to 2023 just for the sake of making sure there's also stuff next year good?

It’s so hard to speculate what could be in a directs anymore. It’s hard to guess what months games will release in to some degree. Stuff like BotW 2 will obviously be towards the holidays or March. Some Mario spin-off will most likely be June.

Games like Xenoblade 3 I wouldn’t even use the past releases as a guess (December only). I could see it coming anytime between July to December.

I know Nintendo is set for a banger year, but does Pokemon, Kirby, Bayo, FE, XC3 (if that's what's being hinted at), AW, Metroid Prime, Splatoon, Mario and BotW2 (and more unrevealed stuff) almost seem too good to people? Like, something's getting pushed to 2023 just for the sake of making sure there's also stuff next year good?
I think we’ll get a good sense of if this power year will happen or not after this first direct. Personally I think the game to watch is Splatoon 3. If it has an early date, like say May, we are in the power year we feel like we are walking into, because then the biggest games can have a month to themselves.

It is very possible some big games double up though, like Mario and Zelda releasing in the same month.

Honestly if we still even get half the games we think we are getting, I still think this will be a great year for Switch. Covid is still impacting everything whether people want to admit it or not.

The next direct will focus heavily on Splatoon 3, I expect a 7 minutes segment for the game

also a new Kirby trailer, a new Triangle Strategy trailer,new AW trailer, probably a new Bayonetta trailer

in short it will be a direct focusing on already announced games, except for BoTW 2 wich I don't see Nintendo showing until June, Splatoon is their big game of the first half and that's what they'll focus on

new games announcements will be limited, I expect only FE and another surprise announcement like the game the MK team have been working on

in the first trailer? I think not!

the real twist here is how Mario and Bowser’s eternal conflict is either echoes of or quantum entangled with that of Hector and Achilles

but is Peach Helen or Agamemnon? or neither? and who did Mario kill that Bowser loved so much?

the answers may surprise you!
The role of Patroclus shall be played by Geno, who finally makes it back into the Mario series only to tragically perish.

Edit: Wait, no, the Trojan Horse is just a giant Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom