• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Legit question, what are the chances this ends up being a bit supermetaldavey where we have the info but are making the wrong conclusions from it?
I'm starting to wonder that myself, but it's really hard to find a way to debunk the connection between Drake/T239 and Nintendo.

The info we have that is as iron clad as it gets, specifically is that Drake is a chip that was being referenced in NVN2 which is an API that will be used by Nintendo. Plus we have the technical specs of Drake.

The info that is less iron clad is what Nintendo plans to do with Drake and NVN2.

Did they scrap the whole chip? Seems extremely unlikely considering the chip is actively in use on Linux.

Did Nintendo decide to use a different chip? Maybe but again unlikely because NVN2 doesn't reference anything but this and Orin.

Did they scrap NVN2 and decide to start on a new API? Again unlikely because NVN2 was in the works between 2019 and February 2022. Feels like an enormous waste to scrap that, and it would take years to build a new one.

So really the soft data we have (which is what I'm calling the not confirmed but heavily likely points above) suggests this chip is still going to be used in a Nintendo product with the NVN2 API.

Objectively a Wii with a pizza oven attached would be better, but it would not make a good product. People didn't care about the new gameplay interface option, so what we were left with was a 2012 machine capable of playing ports from 2005 hardware, at higher price, that didn't make much use of the control setup that made its predecessor notable.
And somehow made a lot of ports worse than the versions on 2005 hardware.

Yes, have faith.
Okay, so... we don't.

It would be great if we could do a better job of distinguishing between things we "know" (i.e. announced, or leaked, or confirmed by reputable sources) and things that are more of a gut feeling, or "feels like it's time"

While I don't think the Andy / Chris statement is that meaningful, one thing it does seem to indicate is that a new Mario platformer is further out than we anticipated. And as far as I know we don't have any actual evidence to the contrary

While I don't think the Andy / Chris statement is that meaningful, one thing it does seem to indicate is that a new Mario platformer is further out than we anticipated. And as far as I know we don't have any actual evidence to the contrary
except they wouldn't know this. they don't see their sources talking about it, but that's not indicative of timing.

except they wouldn't know this. they don't see their sources talking about it, but that's not indicative of timing.
I'm not saying it's conclusive proof, but "there are no big releases" is a stronger statement than "I don't know of any big releases". If we take the claim at face value, the implication is their sources know of a specific gap in the release schedule

It's unfortunate some went from "speculating" to just downright saying hardware is absolutely coming in the first half or just completely denying the idea that Nintendo could end up just waiting to 2024.

There is certainly a bit of wanting to will it into existence. Does it make sense to release new hardware next to Zelda TotK? Yes, but that doesn't make it a guarantee. Im really hoping that's the case because if Zelda TotK is only on OG Switch, that means the next Zelda is a good 5 years out and we wont be playing our first Zelda on Switch 2 until 2028. I love my Switch, it doesn't owe me a thing, but after 6 years with any hardware I start getting anxious for something new and improved.

This makes zero sense given what we know to be in development.

Metroid Prime 4. Likely won’t come out in 2023 but 2024 seems fairly plausible.

Pikmin 4 is literally dated for 2023.

Metroid Prime Remake was rumored along with Fire Emblem Engage. The latter ended up being true so no reason to believe Prime remake isn’t true.

There is a lot of smoke about the Donkey Kong game.

Say what you will about Gamefreak but I have zero reason to doubt we won’t get our annual Pokémon game next year.

Then there’s stuff that could pop up out of nowhere like Detective Pikachu 2.

Honestly this just reads like “there’s no major game coming out that I’m personally interested in.”

I really don’t think those guys know Nintendo schedules!
Ninty secure their launch window and give the rest to others !
They are more secretive than before.
Having TOTK for the launch and letting 3rd party port for the majority of the year of 2023 could be a good move and letting a huge 2024 in term of software sales

I feel like Metroid Prime 4 would be a next gen title at this point. I think Nintendo wants to position Metroid Prime 4 as basically a reinvention of the franchise and a huge attempt at making a big splash with Metroid Prime 4. It's clearly been in development for a LONG time. If I was Nintendo, I would just hold that one off for next gen and really push the graphics and atmosphere while giving gamers a huge reason to want to upgrade to the new hardware. I just don't think it makes sense to release that on a (will be 6+ year old) console at this point. Nintendo will want to save some BIG titles for the new hardware and this will be one of them I'm pretty sure.

I feel like Metroid Prime 4 would be a next gen title at this point. I think Nintendo wants to position Metroid Prime 4 as basically a reinvention of the franchise and a huge attempt at making a big splash with Metroid Prime 4. It's clearly been in development for a LONG time. If I was Nintendo, I would just hold that one off for next gen and really push the graphics and atmosphere while giving gamers a huge reason to want to upgrade to the new hardware. I just don't think it makes sense to release that on a (will be 6+ year old) console at this point. Nintendo will want to save some BIG titles for the new hardware and this will be one of them I'm pretty sure.
Nintendo promised Prime 4 for the current Switch hardware and they won’t renege on that. They didn’t do it for Twilight Princess or Breath of the Wild and there’s no reason to believe Prime 4 is going to skip the console it was announced on. Nintendo, if anything, has been good about fulfilling promises to the customer base that bought their current consoles.

I have considered all of the data from the past few days and I have a declaration!

I am excited to play Tears of the Kingdom on the Switch 2 on May 12th 2023

Thank you

It was announced for Switch. It's not gonna skip the base Switch, they don't do that kinda thing.

Usually a lurker, but just pointing out something I didn’t see mentioned about Andy Robinson’s comment.

Andy saying that Nintendo will talk about new hardware “by 2024” is just smart word choice on his part. He could mean “by the start of 2024” or “by some time in 2024.”

I would not take his comments to suggest the successor won’t come out in 2023.

The interesting thing is that many defend their thesis based on their same thesis.

Interesting things happened this 2022 in this forum, like Emily Rogers's comment about 'N' staff is in the forums, that's when they should ask themselves if much of what they discuss here has a direct influence on them, I think they have the option of do free marketing.

As I said months ago since 12/20/2022 it is plausible to hear of something new from Nintendo, and the hornet's nest is in an uproar.

Did you know that the T234 Nvidia Orin is not SoC (System-on-Chip) but a SOM (System-on-Module)?, there is a variation of the T234 called Nvidia Orin NX which is also a SOM.

According to some 'Drake' it is Tegra T239, that is to say that it would be a variation of a SOM to a SoC (the latter is a Chip and the former is basically a mainboard/module with an integrated chip), personally I doubt that Nvidia codes very closely to Two vastly different concepts, I don't think Nintendo would choose to buy a complete module from Nvidia either.

I’m not trying to play Nintendo Nostradamus or anything but those factory leaks are, IMO, due any day now.
Supposedly we got one a few weeks ago that production will start for a new Switch model in January. From the same person who leaked the Splatoon 3 model announcement.

Apparently they're deleting these kinds of posts right after sharing them so I'm taking other people's word for it.

lol funny that someone would bring up T234 (made more amusing by who did) when I just was scouring through old posts and ended up browsing through another time of rampant discussion - but these were happy, exciting times.

I mean, it's not totally implausible that Drake is just a shined up, shrunk down some sort of version (revision?) of Dane is it?

Lovelace is 5nm... which would conflict with the process I've heard concerning the Switch 4K. The info could be outdated, admittedly; but the last bit of info I had heard was Switch 4K was looking to use 8nm. That's not to say it may not have Lovelace features added but still be Ampere-based.

That is my expectation & would better fit the info I had heard earlier in the year. As mentioned elsewhere, the info today meshes well with devkit info gathered months ago. A better picture is forming.

going by Orin, that would be 4 RT cores rather than 8. curiously, that means there are now 3 versions of Ampere

now that we know that Orin does have (some amount of) RT, it calls into mind the early insider news that there was no RT in the dev kits. outside of the "early kits just doesn't have RT enabled hardware", either there is still not RT planned, or Nintendo is gonna surprise them with RT in near final kits next year

there's still the question of just how much acceleration up-to-8 RT cores can bring. could we see Metro Exodus Enhanced on Dane?

Supposedly we got one a few weeks ago that production will start for a new Switch model in January. From the same person who leaked the Splatoon 3 model announcement.

Apparently they're deleting these kinds of posts right after sharing them so I'm taking other people's word for it.

Could this be a Zelda TOTK OLED Switch model?

Usually a lurker, but just pointing out something I didn’t see mentioned about Andy Robinson’s comment.

Andy saying that Nintendo will talk about new hardware “by 2024” is just smart word choice on his part. He could mean “by the start of 2024” or “by some time in 2024.”

I would not take his comments to suggest the successor won’t come out in 2023.
It means nothing. They could talk about it next week and release it the following week. They could also talk about it in December 2024 and release it an unspecified amount of time after that. "By 2024" covers both of those extremes.

i don’t know enough about business, but wouldn’t a company as large as nintendo, look at a smaller company and think well the tech is clearly there, let’s stomp out any and all competition?
How are you going to stomp out something that is essentially an extension of PC gaming?

Nintendo promised Prime 4 for the current Switch hardware and they won’t renege on that. They didn’t do it for Twilight Princess or Breath of the Wild and there’s no reason to believe Prime 4 is going to skip the console it was announced on.
I think some people still struggle to wrap their heads around the idea that even after Switch 2 launches, OG Switch will still be supported with cross gen titles from Nintendo. A game like Metroid Prime 4 needs a large userbase to do well. Metroid has been historically a niche franchise for Nintendo and not having it release on a userbase that has 120+ million units sold would be a poor business decision. Anyone who has played Doom and Doom Eternal on Switch can tell you that its possible to do a fast paced FPS at 30fps. The OG Switch version could end up 30fps 900P and the Switch 2 gets the 60fps 4K version to really showcase the new abilities of the hardware. Nintendo damn near just names its products what they are are like they did with Switch OLED. It wouldn't shock me to see the successor be named Switch 4K.

ooh baby let's go

Apparently the new model has a different cut out kickstand but I don't remember which uncle mentioned it.

Yeah I'll never rule out anything in regards to what 2023 will bring for Nintendo content. I still believe anything is possible when it comes to what could happen in 2023. That being said, I imagine we will get a TOTK OLED model. Will probably look slick at least.

Would special editions be produced so early? Wasn’t OG Switch a similar timeline?

No idea as to when something like this would go in production but I would think at least a few months before the game ships.

I think some people still struggle to wrap their heads around the idea that even after Switch 2 launches, OG Switch will still be supported with cross gen titles from Nintendo. A game like Metroid Prime 4 needs a large userbase to do well. Metroid has been historically a niche franchise for Nintendo and not having it release on a userbase that has 120+ million units sold would be a poor business decision. Anyone who has played Doom and Doom Eternal on Switch can tell you that its possible to do a fast paced FPS at 30fps. The OG Switch version could end up 30fps 900P and the Switch 2 gets the 60fps 4K version to really showcase the new abilities of the hardware. Nintendo damn near just names its products what they are are like they did with Switch OLED. It wouldn't shock me to see the successor be named Switch 4K.

Cross-gen will absolutely be a thing like you said. Nintendo only has one platform now and they will need to do a good job bridging the gap.

Even if we get a new generation 2023, I wouldn't be surprised if Game Freak supported the OG Switch with Pokemon games through 2025.

To say that "insiders" have any other intention other than gaining clout or credit would be untrue. That's all they do this for - the least they could do is be honest about it.

I love my Switch, it doesn't owe me a thing, but after 6 years with any hardware I start getting anxious for something new and improved.
It often comes up how much time previous systems were around before their successors showed up, but considering there were previously multiple hardware lines, the absolute longest there had ever been without a new Nintendo system was the period between release of Famicom and Game Boy...

Until that was surpassed by Switch's age earlier this month.
I'm trying to remember... Has Nintendo ever been so tight lipped about a successor 6 years in the console's life ? Honest question
6 years in they were almost all released. Exceptions: 3DS was a few months out. Super Famicom had been announced, but was still over a year from release. The biggest quiet time would be Game Boy in 1995. Just coasting along while they were trying to figure out Atlantis behind the scenes without talking about it.

Just to clear things in regards to AndyRobinson and the other guy knowing anythibg in regards to Software or even Hardware…

Look what Tom Phillips and EuroGamer had in mind in January 2021 for that certain year in minf:

This is what I was saying. My sources told me no 4K model until next generation which will be late 2024 at the earliest. Another revision exists but it won’t be a meaningful upgrade. Thanks for all the negative messages towards me a la “don’t do these drive-by posts saying it won’t come”. It won’t come.
Who are you btw?

The hope that a Switch model with 4K capability or any other meaningful hardware upgrade is launching next year is very disputable if I may tell you this. I don’t know Nate but there is a reason he‘s saying that his information from 2021 was correct at that time. I would recommend this forum to keep expectations for the next year or two in check.
Didn’t want to say anything, but I always thought that clarification was way more suspicious than the word “heavy”.
what a salient exchange

I’m not an expert, but if Nintendo begins to talk about new hardware in 2024, then the earliest we can expect is summer-fall 2024.

By that point, and considering the amount of time we have known about the T239, isn’t somewhat late or obsolet to use still the same chip?

Or maybe they are working on something new? I mean, working hard for so many time to then just leave it aside and begin in something new is a waste to me.

Who are you btw?
I don't know who this person is either but I'm curious why this other person gave them a shoutout lol

You spent so much time answering to the one person that was just straight up honest. Jumpforce said no 4K model next year, you try to go against him and 19 people “yeah” this but he was right and he was honest. See why people don’t enjoy it here.

What I'd really like to know is if I could buy a Switch Lite now and not have to worry about a more powerful iteration of the Switch (or better Lite) coming out within 18-24 months. I know that if a new Switch comes out that makes all games run the same or better, I'll no longer want to play on the Lite. I've seen some similar anxiety from people in the past thinking about upgrading to the OLED, so I don't think I'm alone in wanting to have a better sense of what Nintendo's plans look like. My fingers are crossed for a new Nikkei or Bloomberg report coming soon to help cut through the cloud of Nintendo's unpredictability.

Looking into it, it seems like PlayStation consoles have leaked with launch timing info 12-24 months before launch. Nintendo is too good at secrets.

I should have made the impulse buy and gotten a Lite in 2019.

Last edited:
Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom