• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Absolutely was worth a shot! I do not regret it. It was fun to look into and talk about an unexpected angle to this whole thing.

There is always a chance it was right at one point but Im not going to make excuses for a prediction model lol. It either works or it doesn't. I know the Fiscal year earnings release is May 7th. Is there any "extra" smoke to that or is it just a hope since that will be the first official Nintendo communication since the 2025 news broke?
I'm certainly not a financial analyst, but from my perspective:

Nintendo's next meeting should have projections for the upcoming fiscal year. It almost certainly will.

There's little reason at present to think the device has fallen out of this fiscal year.

While projections can be revised, omitting something huge from them, as I understand it, is broadly discouraged, and may not be entirely truthful.

Rumours around the delay, I think, included that it may have some sort of event in summer, which would line up with a press release in May.

I wouldn't call it smoke, I wouldn't even call it a smoulder, but I'd call it like. A cherry? Yeah.

I think Animal Crossing discussion should continue in depth in this thread:

please don't make me bump it for a third time

I must hold my tongue.
vince-mcmahon.gif

Pictured: The first person to get Ankha and Raymond as their starting villagers

Did I not talk about this? I can't remember if I talked about this, but if Doctre is on it might as well.

Some of you probably remember that I was trying to hunt down a Samsung lead a while back. The resume that Doctre is referencing is for the manager of one of two projects I discovered which were Nintendo related at Samsung. I was reluctant to share it because I could find the smoking gun that connects everything.

Samsung is probably making GameCards for Switch 2, probably using their 3D NAND stack. The issue is that the timing and the projects match up with two other possibilities - 1) that Samsung worked with Nintendo to make larger Switch 1 game cards using NAND. We know, in fact, that they did this, but it's unclear from the timing if this project (and the other one I found) are this, or a next gen card. 2) That Samsung spun up a prototype as part of an attempt to get the Switch 2 GameCard business, but that doesn't mean they won the contract.
Hope it's not for Switch 2. Samsung 5th Gen V-nand is a old 2018 tech with a speed of 0.4 GB/s. Ok, its a lot better than Switch cards, but too slow for modern games, no?

The compromise they use and I'd like to see more of, is to have a "buildplate" style area, that's the island in New Hoeizon, and a "hub" style area, that's Harv's. This idea started with City Folk where I think it was done well, but it peaked with New Leaf
I just want the city back and make it the online hub for random.
Did I not talk about this? I can't remember if I talked about this, but if Doctre is on it might as well.

Some of you probably remember that I was trying to hunt down a Samsung lead a while back. The resume that Doctre is referencing is for the manager of one of two projects I discovered which were Nintendo related at Samsung. I was reluctant to share it because I could find the smoking gun that connects everything.

Samsung is probably making GameCards for Switch 2, probably using their 3D NAND stack. The issue is that the timing and the projects match up with two other possibilities - 1) that Samsung worked with Nintendo to make larger Switch 1 game cards using NAND. We know, in fact, that they did this, but it's unclear from the timing if this project (and the other one I found) are this, or a next gen card. 2) That Samsung spun up a prototype as part of an attempt to get the Switch 2 GameCard business, but that doesn't mean they won the contract.
I remember talking about 3D Nand Stack but I must have missed some of the other info.

Reviews are what they are in the end of the day, and the chinese are a very different public to japan or the west... It is what it is. That said, SP3 was never going to be supported as long as 2 and it was obvious since it was announced. They still need to make new games, and by September 2022 Drake's hardware was already taped out even... It's a sacrifice for a hopefully much more revolutionary entry into the next generation.
The main reason is the special network issues of SP3 in China. SP2 does not have Chinese, so for Chinese people, SP3 is their first contact.

Yea Animal Crossing on GameCube alongside City folk are the only mainline animal crossing games that run at 60 FPS

Huh...well whaddya know. Credit where credit's due!

required viewing for all animal crossing technical talk:

Okay...perhaps there may be more going on under the hood than I thought.

That being said...I still think they could have tightened up the graphics a bit. Especially on level 3.

The main reason is the special network issues of SP3 in China. SP2 does not have Chinese, so for Chinese people, SP3 is their first contact.
Splatoon 3 does have Chinese for the first time, but the bad reviews against Splatoon 3 are not from new players, but rather veteran players of Splatoon 1 and 2 who are unhappy with the quality of Splatoon 3.

I just want the city back and make it the online hub for random.

I remember talking about 3D Nand Stack but I must have missed some of the other info.
I may have kept it to myself, I didn't want to stir up something that was both unsurprising but also not yet fully proven.

Hope it's not for Switch 2. Samsung 5th Gen V-nand is a old 2018 tech with a speed of 0.4 GB/s. Ok, its a lot better than Switch cards, but too slow for modern games, no?
You know I hadn't caught the 5th Gen reference in this resume is a Switch 1 card. Leaving the other project as more likely to be the Switch 2 card.

required viewing for all animal crossing technical talk:

I remember the crazy time constraints I was under when making this video and the one for Tears of the Kingdom (before it was officially titled) to make sure they were ready while interest in E3 content was high at the time. It was pretty stressful but I'm glad I was able to get it done.

I was working on a full analysis for the launch of the game but that was canned, unfortunately. A lot of things were difficult to test in time due to how time passes in Animal Crossing and the effect that has on validating analyses with empirical data. The unique moon phases, for example, seemed to reflect the real world lunar calendar but I didn't have time to test this in full and didn't have access to the raw assets to confirm outside of the game environment.

EDIT:

OK, sorry about the continue Animal Crossing talk. A lot of bittersweet memories have been stirred from this discussion!

If we compare to other platforms straight up without taking into account various factors, sure, but let's put aside that comparison and focus on the Switch 2 itself and what it would be capable of. The big point of what speed the storage would attempt to be (for games) depends on the hardware FDE block. If it's only capable of 400MB/s input, then would it matter if Switch 2 carts did use that V-NAND, assuming it met all of Nintendo's other requirements?

Was it lackluster, really? It got an standalone single player roguelike DLC just recently, and Splatoon 3 was never going to be supported as long as 2 anyway. EPD5 is great, especially in the technical department which is the aspect people were discussing... Save your gotcha if you must.
Personally, Splatoon 3 multiplayer is ace, simply ace, it's incredible, but the singleplayer content is definitely lacking. I don't see how EPD 5 could be blamed for the problems in any meaningful way, not only are they NOT a well defined group of people due to their structure, but the game had the bulk of its development in the depths of COVID restrictions. Honestly if any team or series jumps the generations with ease, I'd expect it to be EPD 5 and Animal Crossing & Splatoon. They've released press shots of both games in 5K and they really don't need better assets to look good at that resolution.

Splatoon 3 was never going to be supported as long as 2 anyway

What I can't see is where this comes from. Like. What? It had a much longer development time, albeit a troubled one, and is set to have quite a life ahead of it. Splatoon 2 effectively got two years of regular updates then some on and off tweaks and fests until 2021, I don't think there's reason to doubt we'll see similar. If anything the recent addition of a new hub kind of implies we have a lot of Fests and a few Big Runs ahead of us, I wouldn't expect Final Fest until September 2025 at the earliest, and that's not discounting the chance we get smaller fests or updates into 2026.

Reason I'm even discussing this is because, even though it may be more or less content complete this year after two full years of updates, I don't think they'll drop the ball there. New system needs a Splatoon, patch it for the new system at launch and let the Final Fest play out in 4K, that would be some good optics for the game and system.

I find the confidence that Nintendo would necessarily talk about hardware in May if it's in the fiscal year to be misplaced. Nintendo has to be more or less honest with investors, but they don't have to lay all their cards out on the table. If they're not ready to start advertising the hardware yet, they won't talk about it.
No, if Nintendo doesn't mention Switch 2 in the coming weeks it just means that it will be a late 2025 or early 2026 release. So be prepared for dissappointment if we still don't get confirmation of the Switch 2 soon.

Samsung mentioned that Samsung's 512 GB eUFS 3.0 modules were using Samsung's fifth-generation V-NAND.

And Samsung's 512 GB eUFS 3.0 modules can do up to 2.1 GB/s of sequential read speed and 410 MB/s of sequential write speed.

So depends on what type of fifth-generation V-NAND from Samsung Nintendo's using for the Nintendo Switch's successor's Game Cards.

So I guess it's yet another situation where the speed of the removable storage (microSD Express) is the limiting factor in read speed.

What I can't see is where this comes from. Like. What? It had a much longer development time, albeit a troubled one, and is set to have quite a life ahead of it. Splatoon 2 effectively got two years of regular updates then some on and off tweaks and fests until 2021, I don't think there's reason to doubt we'll see similar. If anything the recent addition of a new hub kind of implies we have a lot of Fests and a few Big Runs ahead of us, I wouldn't expect Final Fest until September 2025 at the earliest, and that's not discounting the chance we get smaller fests or updates into 2026.
I mean as aggressively as 2, which was admittedly quite a juggernaut in terms of support. They either keep supporting it with meaningful content non-stop or focus on the next generation like all the other EPD studios, its 2022 release date was already pushing it on that regard.

d7273bc66e176b9d2fe977caecf22207.gif

Hang in there friends. I know we've taken a bad beat this year but we gotta hold hope we are in the timeline that sees the Switch 2 become the best and most successful it can be. Now is a great time to explore franchises you haven't tried before, Destroy your backlog, or even try out some old classics that gave you joy in the past.
Glad to have you back.

So I guess it's yet another situation where the speed of the removable storage (microSD Express) is the limiting factor in read speed.
There are different tiers to Samsung's fifth-generation V-NAND.

Samsung mentioned that Samsung's fifth-generation V-NAND uses ≥90 layers of 3D charge trap flash (CTF) cells.

On one hand, the Samsung 870 QVO SATA SSD, which uses a 92-layer V-NAND, has a sequential read speed of up to 560 MB/s. (Keep in mind that SATA III has a max data transfer speed of 600 MB/s.)

On the other hand, Samsung's 1 TB UFS 2.1 module, which also uses a 92-layer V-NAND, has a sequential read speed of up to 1 GB/s.

So as I said before, also depends on what type of fifth-generation V-NAND from Samsung Nintendo's using for the Nintendo Switch's successor's Game Cards.

There are different tiers to Samsung's fifth-generation V-NAND.

Samsung mentioned that Samsung's fifth-generation V-NAND uses ≥90 layers of 3D charge trap flash (CTF) cells.

On one hand, the Samsung 870 QVO SATA SSD, which uses a 92-layer V-NAND, has a sequential read speed of up to 560 MB/s. (Keep in mind that SATA III has a max data transfer speed of 600 MB/s.)

On the other hand, Samsung's 1 TB UFS 2.1 module, which also uses a 92-layer V-NAND, has a sequential read speed of up to 1 GB/s.

So as I said before, also depends on what type of fifth-generation V-NAND from Samsung Nintendo's using for the Nintendo Switch's successor's Game Cards.
With the discussions of game cards, what would be the storage capability and price, since the 32GB card are said to be extremely expensive for developers to buy and the reason some buy 1GB card and the rest of the game are meant to be downloaded.

Like can we see Nintendo offering cards from 1GB all the way to 128GB since the switch 2 will see a huge increase of games needing more space, like Call of duty, third party games and even first party party games. And is the technology there to reduces cost of these cards.

With the discussions of game cards, what would be the storage capability and price, since the 32GB card are said to be extremely expensive for developers to buy and the reason some buy 1GB card and the rest of the game are meant to be downloaded.

Like can we see Nintendo offering cards from 1GB all the way to 128GB since the switch 2 will see a huge increase of games needing more space, like Call of duty, third party games and even first party party games. And is the technology there to reduces cost of these cards.
price probably depends on a number of factors that are outside of production games, I would think. a new system, a new pricing structure most likely.

Hopefully Samsung etc can catch up to TSMC 5nm in quality and then sell enough to expense the EUV devices they need to buy.

And make TSMC 5nm caliber wafers extremely cheap due to competition in 10 years.

Nintendo delayed the Switch 2 because all of our moms called up Miyamoto and complained that we haven't been calling them very much. Everyone needs to call their moms so that Miyamoto will release the Switch 2.

Nintendo delayed the Switch 2 because all of our moms called up Miyamoto and complained that we haven't been calling them very much. Everyone needs to call their moms so that Miyamoto will release the Switch 2.
You don't know how much I wish I could simply call my mom......

I for one trust the leak/rumor that Nate shared about ultra fast loading and streaming in that GamesCom BotW demo.
So, I’m sure if Nintendo is working with Samsung for V-NAND game storage, I would believe it’s going to be fast to accomplish Nintendo’s fast/minimal load times.

If anyone is worry about it, I wouldn’t be.

I for one trust the leak/rumor that Nate shared about ultra fast loading and streaming in that GamesCom BotW demo.
So, I’m sure if Nintendo is working with Samsung for V-NAND game storage, I would believe it’s going to be fast to accomplish Nintendo’s fast/minimal load times.

Did Nate mention streaming? Because his source told him that Botw was a load time Demo and showed cased how fast the load time are.

Like botw wild load time can consist of 15-30 second, meanwhile the switch 2 was reportedly instant.

But yeah Nate is quite reliable.

I remember the crazy time constraints I was under when making this video and the one for Tears of the Kingdom (before it was officially titled) to make sure they were ready while interest in E3 content was high at the time. It was pretty stressful but I'm glad I was able to get it done.

I was working on a full analysis for the launch of the game but that was canned, unfortunately. A lot of things were difficult to test in time due to how time passes in Animal Crossing and the effect that has on validating analyses with empirical data. The unique moon phases, for example, seemed to reflect the real world lunar calendar but I didn't have time to test this in full and didn't have access to the raw assets to confirm outside of the game environment.

EDIT:

OK, sorry about the continue Animal Crossing talk. A lot of bittersweet memories have been stirred from this discussion!
I think tech talk is allowed ;)

NateDrake never explicitly mentioned anything about streaming with respect to the Breath of the Wild demo at Gamescom 2023.

Anyway, I don't think the Breath of the Wild demo at Gamescom 2023 necessarily reveals anything about the Nintendo Switch's successor's Game Cards. The Breath of the Wild demo at Gamescom 2023 could be demonstrating the faster internal flash storage being used (e.g. eUFS 2.1, etc.), especially with Nintendo seeing an increase of digital game sales.

Last edited:
I may have kept it to myself, I didn't want to stir up something that was both unsurprising but also not yet fully proven.

You know I hadn't caught the 5th Gen reference in this resume is a Switch 1 card. Leaving the other project as more likely to be the Switch 2 card.

It was talked about a few months ago. The 5th gen V-NAND reference has nothing to do with Nintendo game cards, though, the resume just has a list of projects the person worked on at Samsung. One of them was a Nintendo game card project, and a different one was eMMC with 5th gen V-NAND, they have nothing to do with each other aside from the same person working on them.

NateDrake never mentioned anything about streaming with respect to the Breath of the Wild demo at Gamescom 2023.

Anyway, I don't think the Breath of the Wild demo at Gamescom 2023 necessarily reveals anything about the Nintendo Switch's successor's Game Cards. The Breath of the Wild demo at Gamescom 2023 could be demonstrating the faster internal flash storage being used (e.g. eUFS 2.1, etc.), especially with Nintendo seeing an increase of digital game sales.
But he did

That post there makes no specific mention of streaming, unless you're making the assumption that because there is no load time from menu to game that it has essentially become streaming, that is still technically false. From the technical point of view though, streaming is loading, so if loading is fast, streaming is fast.

I'd like to request some clarification of what is meant by "from menu to game". Is this about from in-game main menu where folks load a save to when folks gain control of Link? Or is this from the system Home Menu to "the game"? I ask because for the former, a game like BotW is likely to have a bunch of common assets which with having a lot more RAM could be front-loaded during the launch sequence of the game, so when going from main menu to in-game control would have a lot less loading to deal with.

That post there makes no specific mention of streaming, unless you're making the assumption that because there is no load time from menu to game that it has essentially become streaming, that is still technically false. From the technical point of view though, streaming is loading, so if loading is fast, streaming is fast.

I'd like to request some clarification of what is meant by "from menu to game". Is this about from in-game main menu where folks load a save to when folks gain control of Link? Or is this from the system Home Menu to "the game"? I ask because for the former, a game like BotW is likely to have a bunch of common assets which with having a lot more RAM could be front-loaded during the launch sequence of the game, so when going from main menu to in-game control would have a lot less loading to deal with.
Yea I made an edit. And you just answered the question I raised in the post above yours, so thank you.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom