• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

animal crossing on switch has loads of visual effects and is overall pretty high fidelity, I really don't understand assessments to the contrary
Next generation, I'd absolutely sacrifice performance and image quality in change for a new paradigm. A totally free camera, seamless buildings, to-scale interiors, and a massive town to match, because once you do that, the Museum is huge, and you just gotta give it that room to breathe!

The compromise they use and I'd like to see more of, is to have a "buildplate" style area, that's the island in New Hoeizon, and a "hub" style area, that's Harv's. This idea started with City Folk where I think it was done well, but it peaked with New Leaf.

A museum the size of New Horizons with a building scaled and designed to suit the interior would HAVE to be simply adorned with a city.

OK, maybe I'm the odd one, but yeah, I want SCALE out of the next Animal Crossing! Huge customisable town! Giant interactive city! A house and an apartment! Give me everything and use lightning fast storage to make it seamless! Street cars moving in real time!

I'd probably go as far as saying if we don't hear anything in time for the meeting, or at the meeting, then this thing isn't launching by March 2025.
I find the confidence that Nintendo would necessarily talk about hardware in May if it's in the fiscal year to be misplaced. Nintendo has to be more or less honest with investors, but they don't have to lay all their cards out on the table. If they're not ready to start advertising the hardware yet, they won't talk about it.

I find the confidence that Nintendo would necessarily talk about hardware in May if it's in the fiscal year to be misplaced. Nintendo has to be more or less honest with investors, but they don't have to lay all their cards out on the table. If they're not ready to start advertising the hardware yet, they won't talk about it.
Sure, but we've never had a fiscal year where Nintendo plans to release a new hardware platform, and they don't mention it at all in their fiscal year projections. I don't see why they would deviate from that.

Sure, but we've never had a fiscal year where Nintendo plans to release a new hardware platform, and they don't mention it at all in their fiscal year projections. I don't see why they would deviate from that.
All of Nintendo's previous platforms had already long been announced by that point. Nintendo talks about already announced things in their projections, but rarely unannounced things.

It wasn't 1080p60 on Switch. So I both lack confidence that they'll choose to max out the display next time, or even that they'll choose to prioritize frames over resolution. Rare Switch game with a worse frame rate than its Wii predecessor.
Someone here said it could be because of the object permanence.

I literally have to because for some reason the eshop has stopped working for me and even Nintendo support couldn't figure out why 😅
Is it an issue where you try to buy something from eShop online but it nopes out right after you login "again"?

If so, it happens to me all the times, I've never gotten it to work. The only way I can make it work is if I order from eShop on my Switch, or switch over to Safari. This issue seems to be limited to Chrome for me for some reason.

Good point. Still hopeful, though.
It feels like looking to the past for answers is not lining up for this cycle. Nintendo usually has a codename by now and a clear message to fans/investors that a new generation is on the way. Has Nintendo ever announced a new generation at an investor meeting? From my memory I believe they usually announce in a brief press release or would announce at E3. I honestly have no idea how Nintendo will go about it this time around.

Hey, welcome back. Now that March and probably April is truly a bust, any whispers from your shareholder buddies?

Most were offside as Nintendo’s shares dumped. Once the selling started, most lost interest in Nintendo. Especially once the 2025 rumors were further solidified. I myself have not rebought the shares I sold just before the drop (can’t believe my timing tbh. Very fortunate/lucky) .

Overall there’s very little interest in Nintendo now amongst my groups. We were spectacularly wrong and most of us paid for it. Its fine. It happens. We move on.

My personal endeavor to also use Wall Street as a source of information and a prediction method also spectacularly failed lol

Someone here said it could be because of the object permanence.

To be clear, I don't think it's one component in particular but multiple. Object permanence on its own wouldn't likely cause the issue, but it could have a potentially negative effect on performance in the game when we factor in the graphical quality of the game. Another way to look at it is that it may have been able to maintain a stable 60 fps with the same graphical quality if the developers got rid of object permanence, but if they simplified the graphical quality and kept object permanence, they may likely still have been able to maintain 60 fps.

EDIT:

I should also note that the impact of object permanence is more significant in a game like Animal Crossing where you're allowed to place so many discrete objects in the environment. It's not so much about the peak performance potential but the difficulty in controlling for stability when the amount of objects loaded and rendered in the environment at any given moment is determined by the player.

Last edited:
Is it an issue where you try to buy something from eShop online but it nopes out right after you login "again"?

If so, it happens to me all the times, I've never gotten it to work. The only way I can make it work is if I order from eShop on my Switch, or switch over to Safari. This issue seems to be limited to Chrome for me for some reason.
Yep. Exactly that. Never did it until yesterday, and since yesterday that's all it does, across multiple devices. Clearing cache and data doesn't fix it. And on the Switch itself it nopes out after I choose a credit card. Nintendo support is insisting it's a problem with my card, but I keep asking them why I can't even get to the page to input a card on the browser, and they have no answer for it. It's so weird.

Running all the cores at once eats up additional power, absolutely. But that doesn't mean that running the core faster-but-in-serial is better for power management. Having the cores idle also eats small amounts of power, just to keep them on.

I would bet that running them on top of each other is the best bet for frame/watt, especially if it keeps you in a slightly lower clock speed.
I want to say this scenario of having them all run concurrently would certainly give more reason to use a more advanced node process like TSMC 4N than Samsung 8N for reduced power consumption and thermals.

Most were offside as Nintendo’s shares dumped. Once the selling started, most lost interest in Nintendo. Especially once the 2025 rumors were further solidified. I myself have not rebought the shares I sold just before the drop (can’t believe my timing tbh. Very fortunate/lucky) .

Overall there’s very little interest in Nintendo now amongst my groups. We were spectacularly wrong and most of us paid for it. Its fine. It happens. We move on.

My personal endeavor to also use Wall Street as a source of information and a prediction method also spectacularly failed lol
It was worth looking into! And heck, it made for an interesting read as I followed along haha!

Them's the breaks. Not really shocked there's low interest in Nintendo after the delay, especially since they were hoping for more imminent news. The post was still an interesting read and was made from good, compelling evidence at the time and was... mostly right. It was just unfortunate that it was a bit off the mark given the factors out of your control. Oh well, shit happens.

We've still got at least 2 weeks before the big news hits. Just enjoy life before then.

It's a pretty substantial impact to their forecast to exclude. Knowing internally that they would then revise the forecast a few months later to account for millions of units of hardware(and software?), and related revenue impacts. Probably bordering a lawsuit there. I mean they'd be knowingly creating an environment that allows for a poop and scoop of the stock.

The situation doesn't seem drastically different to what occured with the 3DS. A brief press release a couple weeks in advance, and then it's inclusion in the annual forecast. Nothing was really revealed then until E3. Seems like something similar should happen here. And really the Switch itself had nothing revealed or known about it besides "NX" up until the 2017 annual forecast as well.

It's a pretty substantial impact to their forecast to exclude. Knowing internally that they would then revise the forecast a few months later to account for millions of units of hardware(and software?), and related revenue impacts. Probably bordering a lawsuit there. I mean they'd be knowingly creating an environment that allows for a poop and scoop of the stock.

The situation doesn't seem drastically different to what occured with the 3DS. A brief press release a couple weeks in advance, and then it's inclusion in the annual forecast. Nothing was really revealed then until E3. Seems like something similar should happen here. And really the Switch itself had nothing revealed or known about it besides "NX" up until the 2017 annual forecast as well.
They do this a lot. The 3ds and Switch are two obvious examples, but this also happened with the Wii U as a "Wii Successor". Omitting a mention of their next system is... odd to say the least. Not only is there some legally questionable elements to not revealing the device if it's releasing within the financial year (especially when you also have to post your projections for that year that will inevitably include the sales of that new system) and that shareholders will flock to Nintendo and invest in the company, but it also goes against basically all of their behaviors with previous systems.

The only reason why a device like the Wii didn't get a mention was because it was extremely far away from release at that time, being announced as the "Gamecube Next" or "Revolution" in 2004, 2 years and some change before it actually would release. The Switch 2 doesn't have the luxury of a long reveal to release, so it needs to be mentioned to shareholders regardless of if they want to keep it a secret or not. It's not a matter of "I don't feel like it".

This thing supposedly isn't launching until right at the end of the fiscal year. It seems unlikely that there would be an impact that they couldn't obfuscate somehow.

Also, 3DS.pdf was in response to imminent leaks, not investors.

There's no real reason for Nintendo to not mention the Switch 2 at the investor meeting if it's coming out March 2025.

Going into fiscal year 8 with zero announced original titles with the exception of Prime 4 and Pokemon ZA (neither of which have any footage and may not release before April 2025) and deciding to not talk about your next-gen console releasing this fiscal year... Would be very weird.

They're going to be projecting one of their worst total hardware years ever (10m to 12m) and have very little software shown. Refusing to talk about the system has no upside.

This thing supposedly isn't launching until right at the end of the fiscal year. It seems unlikely that there would be an impact that they couldn't obfuscate somehow.

Also, 3DS.pdf was in response to imminent leaks, not investors.
wouldn’t investors find weird that Nintendo are making deal with a screen company for a 8 inch lcd screen. Like if I was an investor and numerous Japanese firm are speculating on a NG switch I would pressure Nintendo into telling me why they were showcasing a brand new system in gamescom and what’s their plans are, like if Nintendo would mention a NG switch for 2025 I would presume it would ease their mindset.

wouldn’t investors find weird that Nintendo are making deal with a screen company for a 8 inch lcd screen. Like if I was an investor and numerous Japanese firm are speculating on a NG switch I would pressure Nintendo into telling me why they were showcasing a brand new system in gamescom and what’s their plans are, like if Nintendo would mention a NG switch for 2025 I would presume it would ease their mindset.
They'll probably get a question or two about hardware, but it won't be anything they can't swat away with some variation of "we have nothing to announce at this time".

Also, I think you vastly overestimate how much most investors are paying attention.

It was worth looking into! And heck, it made for an interesting read as I followed along haha!

Absolutely was worth a shot! I do not regret it. It was fun to look into and talk about an unexpected angle to this whole thing.

Them's the breaks. Not really shocked there's low interest in Nintendo after the delay, especially since they were hoping for more imminent news. The post was still an interesting read and was made from good, compelling evidence at the time and was... mostly right. It was just unfortunate that it was a bit off the mark given the factors out of your control. Oh well, shit happens.

We've still got at least 2 weeks before the big news hits. Just enjoy life before then.

There is always a chance it was right at one point but Im not going to make excuses for a prediction model lol. It either works or it doesn't. I know the Fiscal year earnings release is May 7th. Is there any "extra" smoke to that or is it just a hope since that will be the first official Nintendo communication since the 2025 news broke?

They'll probably get a question or two about hardware, but it won't be anything they can't swat away with some variation of "we have nothing to announce at this time".

Also, I think you vastly overestimate how much most investors are paying attention.
good point. I personally think they’ll be more attentive to see how Nintendo will handle NG switch transitional period, since that’s the hardest part for any consoles. Like with the PS3, Xbox one and Wii U, also 3ds.

Like Furukawa only mentioned a smooth transition and also how Nintendo online will play a role.

Couple things you need to know about Nintendo investors. A large part of them own Nintendo shares as a source of national Japanese pride. They will hold their shares through anything. They hold until retirement. They do not care if Nintendo delays Switch 2 to 2026 and largely arent paying attention as the post from pokemaniac says. Of course banks are apart of this. They don't care either so long as share price doesn't hit a certain mark.

Then there are the ones itching for Nintendo to announce the Switch 2 so they can catch a large spike and sell for a profit. Minority overall imo.

This. The swat away words matter however. Big difference between "We have nothing to announce at this time" and "We will speak on future plans at a later time".

So I saw the latest Doctre video and he discover that the will use Samsung gen V Nand flash cart.
Did I not talk about this? I can't remember if I talked about this, but if Doctre is on it might as well.

Some of you probably remember that I was trying to hunt down a Samsung lead a while back. The resume that Doctre is referencing is for the manager of one of two projects I discovered which were Nintendo related at Samsung. I was reluctant to share it because I could find the smoking gun that connects everything.

Samsung is probably making GameCards for Switch 2, probably using their 3D NAND stack. The issue is that the timing and the projects match up with two other possibilities - 1) that Samsung worked with Nintendo to make larger Switch 1 game cards using NAND. We know, in fact, that they did this, but it's unclear from the timing if this project (and the other one I found) are this, or a next gen card. 2) That Samsung spun up a prototype as part of an attempt to get the Switch 2 GameCard business, but that doesn't mean they won the contract.

There was a surprise interesting shipment listing from India in March. Nothing major, but if you'd like to see something that's actually confirmed as real, instead of a silly "hint" based on patents and speculation, read on.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Last edited:
Running all the cores at once eats up additional power, absolutely. But that doesn't mean that running the core faster-but-in-serial is better for power management. Having the cores idle also eats small amounts of power, just to keep them on.

I would bet that running them on top of each other is the best bet for frame/watt, especially if it keeps you in a slightly lower clock speed.

You're probably right. I think concurrency is going to turn out to be the best option, but fingers crossed they still manage to get the cost as low as possible.

Next generation, I'd absolutely sacrifice performance and image quality in change for a new paradigm. A totally free camera, seamless buildings, to-scale interiors, and a massive town to match, because once you do that, the Museum is huge, and you just gotta give it that room to breathe!

The compromise they use and I'd like to see more of, is to have a "buildplate" style area, that's the island in New Hoeizon, and a "hub" style area, that's Harv's. This idea started with City Folk where I think it was done well, but it peaked with New Leaf.

A museum the size of New Horizons with a building scaled and designed to suit the interior would HAVE to be simply adorned with a city.

OK, maybe I'm the odd one, but yeah, I want SCALE out of the next Animal Crossing! Huge customisable town! Giant interactive city! A house and an apartment! Give me everything and use lightning fast storage to make it seamless! Street cars moving in real time!
Nah, you're not the odd one at all. That's what a true generational leap is supposed to do, and as long as that goes NG definitely won't disappoint. The team is very much one of the best at Nintendo and always take their time, just look at how many years new leaf and new horizons are apart from each other. I don't doubt they will deliver an absolutely stunning game with major additions, regardless of whether they have to sacrifice performance/resolution or not.

Nah, you're not the odd one at all. That's what a true generational leap is supposed to do, and as long as that goes NG definitely won't disappoint. The team is very much one of the best at Nintendo and always take their time, just look at how many years new leaf and new horizons are apart from each other. I don't doubt they will deliver an absolutely stunning game with major additions, regardless of whether they have to sacrifice performance/resolution or not.
Haha, contrary to your high opinion, in the Chinese internet EPD5 is now regarded as the worst Nintendo first-party production group because of Splatoon 3's lackluster quality and lackluster follow-up updates.

To be honest the Splatoon series is kind of being exhausted by Nintendo, and I hope they can stop the series for a while to do something new, otherwise the series is in danger of becoming a series of continuous poor quality in the future.

There was a surprise interesting shipment listing from India in March. Nothing major, but if you'd like to see something that's actually confirmed as real, instead of a silly "hint" based on patents and speculation, read on.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Interesting, thanks for your investigation

Haha, contrary to your high opinion, in the Chinese internet EPD5 is now regarded as the worst Nintendo first-party production group because of Splatoon 3's lackluster quality and lackluster follow-up updates.
Was it lackluster, really? It got an standalone single player roguelike DLC just recently, and Splatoon 3 was never going to be supported as long as 2 anyway. EPD5 is great, especially in the technical department which is the aspect people were discussing... Save your gotcha if you must.

Was it lackluster, really? It got an standalone single player roguelike DLC just recently, and Splatoon 3 was never going to be supported as long as 2 anyway. EPD5 is great, especially in the technical department which is the aspect people were discussing... Save your gotcha if you must.
I'm just simply shocked at this huge difference in reviews,since the same Roguelike dlc is poorly rated over there, but I have to admit that EPD5's accomplishments in the technical realm are truly remarkable.

Animal Crossing is still a relatively young series with lots of potential in its current format without going through a total revamp.

• Vehicles as you mentioned
  • Custom buildings with interiors (make shops, restaurants, hotels, etc.)
  • Sharing/merging islands with other people, even online
  • More furniture that can actually be interacted with, rather than just be there for decoration
  • In-depth interactions and relationships with villagers

A more realistic scale would also make the game more complex not only to make but also to play. Nintendo would need to look into whether this would alienate the current playerbase or not.

The compromise they use and I'd like to see more of, is to have a "buildplate" style area, that's the island in New Hoeizon, and a "hub" style area, that's Harv's. This idea started with City Folk where I think it was done well, but it peaked with New Leaf
I just want the city back and make it the online hub for random.
Did I not talk about this? I can't remember if I talked about this, but if Doctre is on it might as well.

Some of you probably remember that I was trying to hunt down a Samsung lead a while back. The resume that Doctre is referencing is for the manager of one of two projects I discovered which were Nintendo related at Samsung. I was reluctant to share it because I could find the smoking gun that connects everything.

Samsung is probably making GameCards for Switch 2, probably using their 3D NAND stack. The issue is that the timing and the projects match up with two other possibilities - 1) that Samsung worked with Nintendo to make larger Switch 1 game cards using NAND. We know, in fact, that they did this, but it's unclear from the timing if this project (and the other one I found) are this, or a next gen card. 2) That Samsung spun up a prototype as part of an attempt to get the Switch 2 GameCard business, but that doesn't mean they won the contract.
I remember talking about 3D Nand Stack but I must have missed some of the other info.

I'm just simply shocked at this huge difference in reviews,since the same Roguelike dlc is poorly rated over there, but I have to admit that EPD5's accomplishments in the technical realm are truly remarkable.
Reviews are what they are in the end of the day, and the chinese are a very different public to japan or the west... It is what it is. That said, SP3 was never going to be supported as long as 2 and it was obvious since it was announced. They still need to make new games, and by September 2022 Drake's hardware was already taped out even... It's a sacrifice for a hopefully much more revolutionary entry into the next generation.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom