• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Again the video I previously posted shows the mod working on RTX 20/30 cards, but still using DLSS as it's upscaling solution.
Yes, I know, I've used it. But that's not DLSS frame generation or meaningful to what it would take to get DLSS frame generation running on lesser cards.
I fully expect if an FSR algorithm can be modified into an existing graphic library, then Nvidia could create a custom version to work for Switch 2 that is performant enough for that target hardware.
Since we've seen FSR FG done on Deck, probably--though it would become more problematic since Switch 2 will usually be expected to work at much higher resolutions than Steam Deck. But I think I've totally lost track now, I thought your whole point was that NVIDIA would do something special with their own FG to avoid people going with FSR instead, versus themselves adding FSR FG to standard Switch 2 tools.

My theory on Nintendo using Unreal Engine for some games is to help further optimization of the game engine for their platform. Nintendo uses the engine and throughout development works with Epic to further optimize the engine and those improvements will pay off for third parties using it. Basically its a self serving decision and not because they needed UE4 to create games like Yoshis Crafted World, Pikmin 4 or Princess Peach Showtime. These are all games that they could have created with their in house engines.
All of those are made by external studios (or I assume for the peach game). It's in the interest of those studios to not depend on Nintendo engines if they a) do also work for others, b) publish their own games sometimes to multiple platforms c) don't get new work from Nintendo.

Nd those studios are not big enough to develop their own engines. So it would actually be a bad business decision to not use UE or Unity.

I'm thinking a Tuesday Mini now. Once Wednesday next week hits I think we're in the end game, as we hit the last few days of February.

27-29th is a real possibility for the new console,

Or March 1st
Poor journalists if Nintendo reveals the Switch 2 at the same time as Pokémon Presents and it's 2 new mainline titles.

Those are all known releases , SMRPG has been out since 2023. These are just reheated announcements and has nothing to do if they will be a direct or not as these kinds of announcements don't usually make it into a direct. Even a partner one.
It honestly just feels like Nintendo is playing with us. It wouldn't be the first time.

I was about to say "what if Nintendo's waiting until feb 22 goes away so that a reveal of switch 2 and/or a direct doesn't take away attention from side order and mario vs dk sales?"

but then I remembered the princess peach game only releases march 22st... oh well

I was about to say "what if Nintendo's waiting until feb 22 goes away so that a reveal of switch 2 and/or a direct doesn't take away attention from side order and mario vs dk sales?"

but then I remembered the princess peach game only releases march 22st... oh well
I don't think the release of any game from Nintendo this year affects the announcement of Switch 2. I think that it only affects the sale of Switch 1 hardware, and none of the games coming up are going to push hardware sales. Hardware sales at this point are pushed by their existing catalog. Software sales are pushed by their existing 139mm consoles in the world and the games desirability to those people.

there's also Pokemon Day on the 27th.

Those are all known releases , SMRPG has been out since 2023. These are just reheated announcements and has nothing to do if they will be a direct or not as these kinds of announcements don't usually make it into a direct. Even a partner one.
Haven’t we have had non general directs that was ALL or mostly known releases in the past? Could have swore we did. In those Directs, it was mostly just new content that haven’t been shown to public in the past. Or I guess I could be misremembering

I wonder if they consider the "Direct" brand strong enough to carry a console reveal. A last week of February "Direct" opening with the new console, then all the third party studios working on games for it, close out with the new Mario, and hope for the best.
They've opened the "Direct" brand to the Mario movie and Super Nintendo World in the past couple of years. A special "Next-gen" Direct isn't far-fetched imo

Does anyone have a missed switch and Xcom 2? I want to know if it’s possible to run the game at 60fps with OC. Would be fantastic if Switch 2 BC could do that

Haven’t we have had non general directs that was ALL or mostly known releases in the past? Could have swore we did. In those Directs, it was mostly just new content that haven’t been shown to public in the past. Or I guess I could be misremembering
General/mini/partner directs always focus on new announcements.
I may have stretched it a bit, as they do often include updates on already out games or if the timing is right, games recently released, but they're never the focus and feel like things they throw out there since there's an audience watching the VOD already

my point is, not having these filler content to fill a direct is not any indication of them not doing a direct. If a direct doesn't come, it was never planned and these certainly wouldn't have been the headliners for any direct in the Switch era. These are C/ D tier announcements.

General/mini/partner directs always focus on new announcements.
I may have stretched it a bit, as they do often include updates on already out games or if the timing is right, games recently released, but they're never the focus and feel like things they throw out there since there's an audience watching the VOD already

my point is, not having these filler content to fill a direct is not any indication of them not doing a direct. If a direct doesn't come, it was never planned and these certainly wouldn't have been the headliners for any direct in the Switch era. These are C/ D tier announcements.
Maybe. I'm not sure I agree completely. New content for Side Order and Princess Peach Showtime is something that would fit a Direct well. Those aren't C/D tier.

FWIW, I didn't make a comment that those NOA tweets were indication that we won't get Partner Showcase tomorrow. The fact that we got new Side Order and Princess Peach Showtime content is what makes me think there won't be a general Direct (seems to be a point for Nate/Necro's speculation that we'd get Partner Showcase).

Personally that IMO is ideal for those who are hoping March Switch 2 reveal rumor comes true. If no Direct or just a Partner Showcase or Mini happens tomorrow, this makes me think Nintendo has opted to devote energy/resources on a possibly all-hands, big tent Switch 2 reveal/presentation event in month of March. Because "General" Directs requires presence of hosts, filming, editing, time, etc.

0ecd79ca-713e-46f7-a997-ca3097f04a42.jpg

I take full responsibility for pointing out May counts here.
Side topic but it is uncanny how much he looks like Emmanuel Macron.

I really love how people like to make predictions using words like "never", it's literally impossible to predict how technology will develop in the next 50 years, let alone the next 1000.
I thought we'd be living the Jetsons life by now.

So is there any insight into what kind of carts this is going to use? I know that the 64 GB carts were basically never used because of price
Talking about game cards, what are the types of technology that could be used for them? Do we have an idea of potential tech?
This is where I have issues. I don't know if manufactured game cards are cheap enough, but I know that for AAA games where the bigger expenses come in, they want physical and want high capacity.

I don't know if Nintendo goes can find big, fast, cheap, and secure. I suspect that they may get creative and do big, slow, cheap, and secure, require installs, and use the card as a proof of ownership.

EDIT: An interesting data point. On DekuDeals, they allow you to filter by digital or physical. They show 13159 digital titles, and 2301 physical titles. That means to me than 17% of titles (or so) are both physical and digital. I don't know what the ratio of garbage shovelware is.

Eh fuck it, for entertainment purposes only

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

edit: accidentally hit post, stupid phone

Last edited:
* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Isn‘t Pikmin 4 made internally by Nintendo? When I look at the Credits I only see Nintendo names, including the Programming Director. Other Companies are under Special Thanks. Or am I something missing here?
They're only listed under special thanks, but more than enough staff from the studio assisted with the game that we can probably call it a co-production between EPD and Eighting.

Last edited:
Oh I see it now. Kinda weird how the credits are structured almost as if they try to hide the heavy involvement of another company. Usually external devs are listed separately under their company.
it's more of an equal parts. one of the directors of the game is from Eighting for instance.

Eh fuck it, for entertainment purposes only

edit: accidentally hit post, stupid phone

Last edited:

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom