• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I'm not a programmer or involved with homebrew, but Switchbrew does already list the changes in this update.

They updated the bad word lists.
Bad word list and stability are constantly growing, I cannot await Switch 2, since it probably‘ll uses parts of the Switch OS, it’s gonna be rock solid, right out of the gate.

if trees could talk...

they would surely be telling tales of men in offices playing Mario Kart X and having a jolly good time.
lo-tr-small.gif

I guess? Idk, I think it's still odd behavior for a journalist of Bloomberg. Y'know, one of the biggest news sites on earth.

Even if they're baiting Nintendo weirdos like us, that still won't get as much traction as just writing a Nintendo news article, which he has done... a lot. Idk, I think it's weird for a Bloomberg journalist to bait this kind of thing. If it was an IGN journalist or Kotaku """journalist""" then sure, fine, but this just doesn't add up to me.

Probably best to just wait then. Maybe we'll get something when we get to Page 3000.
Don’t be so pessimistic, page 2999… 😀

At least for this upcoming week, we have until Thursday to question the validity of Brazil with the supposed Indie showcase for March and as for Nash Weedle i guess we can simply humor his podcast findings where in my opinion it should be better than discussing Xbox handheld, 8nm, and Treegate 2.0 lol
I believe Brazil's wording allowed for early April so we're not even free after this week

While that's definitely possible, one would hope he wouldn't actively try to rile up internet folks "just for fun" after he got so much backlash for actually just doing his job (aka reporting on things he got from sources / analysts). It would be a shitty situation.

In the end, it might be best to mark calendars for May, and be happily surprised something comes before that timeframe.

I guess? Idk, I think it's still odd behavior for a journalist of Bloomberg. Y'know, one of the biggest news sites on earth.

Even if they're baiting Nintendo weirdos like us, that still won't get as much traction as just writing a Nintendo news article, which he has done... a lot. Idk, I think it's weird for a Bloomberg journalist to bait this kind of thing. If it was an IGN journalist or Kotaku """journalist""" then sure, fine, but this just doesn't add up to me.

I don't think we should forget the way he was publicly and rather curtly rebuffed by Nintendo over the Switch Pro. Nintendo reacted quite violently, compared to their habits. We don't know the whole truth about that, but what's certain about his coverage of the story is that he was undeniably right on some specific elements that have come to pass, such as the OLED screen, its size, and the release window, even if he undeniably overreached on others by lacking caution.

This kind of public, targeted statement to a specific media outlet is rare for Nintendo, and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't take it particularly well. Bloomberg is not in the habit of coming across as a rough source, and this has not been positive for them. As you'll recall, they followed up with a rather pejorative article on the OLED model's allegedly high-margin price. And just recently, on the Switch 2 delay, Bloomberg had strictly nothing new, but certainly didn't help reassure Bloomberg-reading shareholders by adding the hazardous assumption that the delay could be even longer.

In short, I think that it's precisely because of his past record that we can't rule out trolling on his part. He knows that expectation and impatience are high, including in financial circles, so creating hype like this is not meaningless even if it was completely gratuitous, and even less so if something happens.

Closest is probably 830M, though that chip is clocked about 33% faster but has less memory bandwidth.

Like GM20B, The GeForce 920MX is Maxwell 2.0 with 256 CUDA cores @ 993 MHz, however it has 8 more TMUs and 8 less ROPs compared to the Switch.

The DDR3 variant is limited by its slower 14.4 GB/s bandwidth (compared to the Switch's 25.6 GB/s shared LPDDR4(X)-3200), but there is a GDDR5 variant with 40.10 GB/s.

huh, interesting. Well, whatever is the closest estimate should be blown away by an RTX 2050.

Oh OK welp looks we still on the way until the May fiscal briefing
Yup - if we follow pattern we saw with Switch 1 (not saying it will), they'll mention Switch 2 during the fiscal briefing (just a mere mention). They mentioned console codenamed "NX" during close-to-end-of April fiscal meeting in 2016.

I hope we don't have to wait all the way to October 2024 for the reveal though, I hope they'd do the reveal significantly earlier - maybe June? Would make sense if that is also the start of mass production, if Nintendo is serious about ensuring there'll be plenty of Switch 2 on launch day. About 4 months earlier than what we would have seen with Switch 1.

They mentioned console codenamed "NX" during close-to-end-of April fiscal meeting.
I presume they did that due to the whole mobile market thing. In this next fiscal year's briefing, I think they'll either acknowledge one of these:
  • A next generation console is coming
  • The successor to the Switch is coming
  • The Switch 2 is coming
I hope we don't have to wait all the way to October 2024 for the reveal though,
That's a possibility if the release it in March 2025

I hope they'd start it significantly earlier - maybe June?
There was a rumor or speculation flying around that Nintendo would reveal the Switch 2 earlier than they revealed the Switch in order for 3rd parties to be able to market their games that are coming for it.

There was a rumor or speculation flying around that Nintendo would reveal the Switch 2 earlier than they revealed the Switch in order for 3rd parties to be able to market their games that are coming for it.
Yup, nate mentioned that in his latest podcast, that Nintendo were asking for asset footage of their games, which is likely for the switch 2 reveal trailer. But we sadly don't know if Nate got the information after or before the Delay.

So i wouldn't be surprised if we saw more third party games in their reveal trailer, but i'm wondering if it'll be big titles or smaller titles, since most people won't be hype for old ps4 ports of games.

Important to note, that third party games need to be more compelling and try to convince people to either buy/rebuy their games, since the Wow factor of games, like Skyrim coming to switch won't be as huge on the switch 2, especially since most people have seen what these games are capable on the steam deck and the novelty of ports won't be hype and the first party exclusives will be forefront compare to the switch first year.

Like what would be huge title ports that would Wow people, like the only one i can think of would be FF16 or FF7 Rebirth. But it seems unlikely, since Square would rather get money from Sony and the PC market. Also do we know how much money square get from the Ps5 exclusivity deal?

Also do we know how much money square get from the Ps5 exclusivity deal?
I don't think that has ever been made public, but judging by how they're sacrificing the goodwill of the FINAL FANTASY brand, must bet a lot.

And it must be in decline because the exclusivity period is waning down:
  • FINAL FANTASY VII Remake = a year or more of exclusivity
  • FF XVI = Six months
  • FF VII Rebirth = three months

if trees could talk...

The gentlemen alights his car and saunters towards me. Shy of a few limbs length between us, he stops, reaches into his left pants pocket and pulls out a small device. He gazes up, raising what appears to be a mobile. He must be taking my picture! I relish the moment, straining to steady my branches - in this most inconspicuous deciduous state he sees me! The corner of his lip turned, he takes the photo and lowers the screen to admire his work.

and then he laughs.

Shaken by the reaction I lose focus, and the moments that followed blurred. He tapped at the face of the mobile, stowed it away, returned to his car, and then he was gone.

Why did he laugh?

I don't think that has ever been made public, but judging by how they're sacrificing the goodwill of the FINAL FANTASY brand, must bet a lot.

And it must be in decline because the exclusivity period is waning down:
  • FINAL FANTASY VII Remake = a year or more of exclusivity
  • FF XVI = Six months
  • FF VII Rebirth = three months
I don't really think so, since FF7 rebirth has been selling pretty well in the west and Europe. I think it's only in a decline in the Japanese/Asian market.
But we can't truly know how successful FF7 rebirth is because we still haven't gotten the usual ,,We hit 3 Million copies worldwide'' Quote and we still don't know the digital sales.

But one things that's for certain, is that FF as a brand is trying to cultivate a higher western fanbase, since i believe square sees bigger dollar signs, since Japan and i think some Asian markets prefer the handheld ecosystem (which Nintendo dominates as of right now). meanwhile here in the west, the console market is doing better or is the same.

Overall (I think) the switch 2 will be like a test, if Square wants to either rethink their strategy for their IPs for the Japanese market or continue their path with the console/western audience.

But i don't know how big their PC ports are making, so that might be also why.

Who would have thought we would have treegate 2.0 haha.

Anyways, I would find it weird for him to just be randomly there, and what would be the point of tweeting that picture? Just to fuck with the internet? But why? We already have so little that it would be no point.
It’s simple we Nintendo fans needs a better Bloomberg journalist?

Apple fans got Mark Gurman, he’s pretty accurate.
The general gaming community got Jason, he’s pretty accurate.

We got a Bloomberg journalist that’s takes pictures of trees…

/s

is any of this related to new hardware?

This is not my forte - would like someone more knowledgeable than I am to comment but those are the delta I see between 17.0 and 18.0. I'm not able to discern which of those are potentially "interesting", if any.
With 17.0, we saw "NxBinLogs" get updated to "NnBinLogs", which was kind of interesting because "Nx" was changed to more generic "Nn".

NEW SETTINGS:
idle
disable_auto_sleep: false
override_auto_sleep_time: 0

ldn
enable_band_2_4ghz: true
enable_band_5ghz: false
enable_static_channel_configuration: true
enable_static_security_mode_configuration: true
static_band: 0
static_number: 0
static_security_mode: 1

nifm
network_emulation.default_profile_id: 0
rewrite.is_enabled: false

ns.sdcard
needs_system_update_to_use_sdcard_by_policy: false

ntc
is_launch_time_report_enabled: true

systempowerstate
psc_random_delay_max_msec: 0
psc_random_delay_min_msec: 0
psc_random_delay_occurrence_rate_percent: 0

UPDATED SETTINGS:
news
system_version: 10

snap_shot_dump
output_dir: "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Nintendo\NXDMP"

time
standard_user_clock_initial_year: 2024

Kind of wondering why they updated output_dir value in snap_shot_dump class from "%USERPROFILE%/Documents/Nintendo/NXDMP" to "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Nintendo\NXDMP", going from forward slashes to back slashes. Made me think of Microsoft vs Linux/Unix OS differences (MS OSes use backslashes, Linux/Unix uses forward slashes).

Last edited:
It definitely seems like they're preparing for some big changes and major refactoring behind the scenes.

v17 and v18 seem to have sanitised/obfuscated changes that have been merged in from the in-development Switch 2 OS.

With this update, they seem to be gearing up for some changes to friend's list and accounts? It looks like they're working to add support for PINs to access an account. Maybe to deter young kids/other users on the same device accessing the account of another user?

Kind of wondering why they updated output_dir value in snap_shot_dump class from "%USERPROFILE%/Documents/Nintendo/NXDMP" to "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Nintendo\NXDMP", going from forward slashes to back slashes. Made me think of Microsoft vs Linux/Unix OS differences (MS OSes use backslashes, Linux/Unix uses forward slashes).
I haven't used Windows in a while but I think %USERPROFILE% is a shortcut to the user directory of the user currently logged in. So it doesn't just look like a Windows thing; it is. Probably a debugging path for devkits hooked up to Windows machines (I'm guessing devkits can save screenshots externally). Changing forward slashes to backslashes is just making the path more correct (IIRC Windows still has issues with using forward slashes for directories and will sometimes think any directory path using them is a URL)

I haven't used Windows in a while but I think %USERPROFILE% is a shortcut to the user directory of the user currently logged in. So it doesn't just look like a Windows thing; it is. Probably a debugging path for devkits hooked up to Windows machines (I'm guessing devkits can save screenshots externally). Changing forward slashes to backslashes is just making the path more correct (IIRC Windows still has issues with using forward slashes for directories and will sometimes think any directory path using them is a URL)
Yeah, %USERPROFILE% is just an env var, it will replace that with actual value (the user profile name).

What you mentioned makes sense as a potential explanation, making the update to make it easier on those working on Switch 2 devkits, particularly if they've switched from one OS to other (different OS than then one that was running on Switch 1 devkits)

What's Treegate?
There was a photo posted loooong ago before the Switch was even revealed, of what was supposedly Nintendo's next handheld. It was a sham but at the time people were digging in deep to try and find any info they could in the photo.

You might recognize the photo:
NX-controller.jpg
You can see a reflection of a tree in the upper right hand corner there, people were literally trying to sleuth out where in the world that tree was to try and figure out where the photo was taken. It got that wild. That's what they're calling Treegate, and they're joking that we're about to do it again with Mochi's post from pages ago. 😅

There was a photo posted loooong ago before the Switch was even revealed, of what was supposedly Nintendo's next handheld. It was a sham but at the time people were digging in deep to try and find any info they could in the photo.

You might recognize the photo:
NX-controller.jpg
You can see a reflection of a tree in the upper right hand corner there, people were literally trying to sleuth out where in the world that tree was to try and figure out where the photo was taken. It got that wild. That's what they're calling Treegate, and they're joking that we're about to do it again with Mochi's post from pages ago. 😅

I remember when people "narrowed" it down to CD Projekt Red lol.

The information about the update on Switchbrew is still pretty incomplete (and I expect it could be a little bit before that's finished, based on the dataminers' Tweets), but even what is there currently is mostly just a few suggestive setting and command names. Probably the most interesting ones I noticed are some new APIs on the Friends Service named GetFriendProfileImageWithImageSize and GetProfileListV2. Some other highlights include a command that suggests that they may be adding some sort of migration feature or something to the news app and a similar "Ver2" in the Parental Controls (though that's a context where that could just be an app related thing).

It's possibly worth mentioning that some of the services Nintendo has added commands to are ones they haven't touched in ages, like literally the first few Switch firmware updates in some cases. Overall, it just seems mostly the same as what we've been observing, just escalating (at least so far).

It definitely seems like they're preparing for some big changes and major refactoring behind the scenes.

v17 and v18 seem to have sanitised/obfuscated changes that have been merged in from the in-development Switch 2 OS.

With this update, they seem to be gearing up for some changes to friend's list and accounts? It looks like they're working to add support for PINs to access an account. Maybe to deter young kids/other users on the same device accessing the account of another user?
OMFG If the Switch 2 adds PINs(without parental controls) and messaging it will be a godsend

I know Nash Weedle is an unreliable source(and I'm not sure if they are banned nor do I know how to check banned content/sources), but they claim that they heard direct confirmation from a developer that the Switch 2 dev kit has tools that will take development "one step further". Obviously their word alone isn't enough but Necrolipe did retweet it. Does their tweet have any credibility @necrolipe ?

Pyoro liked that tweet about Nash Weedle having 0% of credibility.

This is not my forte - would like someone more knowledgeable than I am to comment but those are the delta I see between 17.0 and 18.0. I'm not able to discern which of those are potentially "interesting", if any.
With 17.0, we saw "NxBinLogs" get updated to "NnBinLogs", which was kind of interesting because "Nx" was changed to more generic "Nn".

NEW SETTINGS:
idle
disable_auto_sleep: false
override_auto_sleep_time: 0

ldn
enable_band_2_4ghz: true
enable_band_5ghz: false
enable_static_channel_configuration: true
enable_static_security_mode_configuration: true
static_band: 0
static_number: 0
static_security_mode: 1

nifm
network_emulation.default_profile_id: 0
rewrite.is_enabled: false

ns.sdcard
needs_system_update_to_use_sdcard_by_policy: false

ntc
is_launch_time_report_enabled: true

systempowerstate
psc_random_delay_max_msec: 0
psc_random_delay_min_msec: 0
psc_random_delay_occurrence_rate_percent: 0

UPDATED SETTINGS:
news
system_version: 10

snap_shot_dump
output_dir: "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Nintendo\NXDMP"

time
standard_user_clock_initial_year: 2024

Interesting. I didnt understand anything but is interesting the changes on the sdk

This thread has been moving rather fast, but I wonder if the recent Apple Silicon vulnerability will slow anything down for Nintendo. All of Apple's M series silicon is vulnerable and it is a architecture level exploit that will allow attackers to pull the Secret Keys from the system and it can be done remotely.

This thread has been moving rather fast, but I wonder if the recent Apple Silicon vulnerability will slow anything down for Nintendo. All of Apple's M series silicon is vulnerable and it is a architecture level exploit that will allow attackers to pull the Secret Keys from the system and it can be done remotely.
Ok so, how can this be related to Nintendo? Kinda failing to see a connection.

This update goes way beyond bad word lists only, a bunch of things was changed on SDK.

That's great to know, but you can't really glean that from the public system software. There were a tonne of small adjustments to interfaces, just nothing glaringly significant. SDK updates ≠ system updates.

Outside of the changes stated in Nintendo's official changelog, the bad words list is the only thing that actually affects users at the moment.

Last edited:
Apple uArch and Arm uArch are quite far removed. The underlying ISA implementation is the same at basic level, but Apple does change some of it or pulls features ahead.

Anyway, we don't know much about the AS vulnerability, but it's safe to say that there's no bearing towards what Nintendo is working.

So you trust the devkits have been taken one step further?

Is it a small step? A big step? what was the previous step?

Its entirely useless information without context, which Nash isn't giving us.
It would be nice for Necro to elaborate on this. I don't think Nash's tweet means anything at all ("one step further" is a prime example of one of his meaningless filler phrases) but I'm guessing Necro has heard something that coincides with the timing of that tweet.

Care to elaborate what changed in the SDK?

also whats your stance on the Sonic Heroes remake report being rescinded
Midori said they were telling people the heroes game was being considered and that eventually made it to certain circles, zippo was one of them, necro was probably also one of them.

Midori said they were telling people the heroes game was being considered and that eventually made it to certain circles, zippo was one of them, necro was probably also one of them.
Zippo got a legitimate source somehow?

looks out window

Okay, the apocalypse hasn't started yet, but I'm keeping an eye out.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom