• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I respectfully disagree that there ever was a cancelled pro. Theres zero evidence of any other soc upgrade than Drake was ever in development for Nintendo.

For all we know Switch 2 could have had more than one delay. Maybe SOC design went a lot smoother than the rest of the hardware.
Switch OLED is the cancelled Pro. It's very obvious in retrospect that's what all the rumors were referring to. How everything got so time delayed is a mystery, but the rumors we got back then made more sense for a "Mariko unleashed" system, which the Switch OLED shows vestigial signs of being at some point during development.

The problem I think is what does "affordable" mean.

Because even if 128GB is lets say (I'll just use simple numbers for the sake of this explanation) $8/unit for the cartridge, whereas a 32GB card is only $3/unit ... you may say "well 128GB is quite reasonable!" ... but that's $5/unit loss of profit margin for the publisher by using a 128GB cart instead of a 32GB one.

In this case even though 128GB is perfectly "affordable" I still think many/most devs would opt to choose the 32GB option anyway ... the rest you are forced to download and/or buy external storage for (that's not the publisher's problem).

Delaying the console because of physical game cards would be insane too, physical is becoming less and less important.
Affordability depends primarily on node and silicon usage.

NAND-less XtraROM stalled out at 32nm back in 2014, and it’s unclear where the underlying NROM tech they use for flash-based Game Cards stalled out at in terms of minimum process node. NAND reaches an ideal price per megabit between 22-12nm, which is why that’s the range most NAND makers settle on and went to stacked layers (3D NAND) to achieve greater capacity, as it was far cheaper to do so.

For comparison, Intel was able to achieve 7.11 million transistors per square milimeter on 32nm, and 16.5 million transistors per square milimeter on 22nm, more than double. So getting to 22nm (if they haven't already) could mean an up to 50% cost reduction to produce a chip with the same transistor count. Combined with this single gate vertical channel tech, the cost reduction over other NAND is another 30% according to Macronix.

So, even without accounting for all the other possible methods to reduce game package sizes that are or may be available to Nintendo, there is a very real possibility that 128GB could achieve price parity with 32GB Switch Game Card chips.
* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Last edited:
There is evidence that the OLED dock was prepped for 4K output though. It may not be much but it's something. And I think it was laid out here before that Nintendo coulda been trying to get DLSS to run on Mariko at that point (since there was an early-ish version of DLSS that didn't require tensor cores), which could line up with the rumor from back then that Nintendo was dissatisfied with the power draw it took to achieve the added performance.
DLSS on Mariko to me is a lot more far fetched than Orin based NVN2 devkits in September 2021, sorry.
Switch OLED is the cancelled Pro. It's very obvious in retrospect that's what all the rumors were referring to. How everything got so time delayed is a mystery, but the rumors we got back then made more sense for a "Mariko unleashed" system, which the Switch OLED shows vestigial signs of being at some point during development.

At most I think HDR was a planned feature for the Oled, which would have necessitated slightly higher clocks and 4k output (because most HDR tvs are 4k).

DLSS on Mariko to me is a lot more far fetched than Orin based NVN2 devkits in September 2021, sorry.

Yeah it wouldn't have been DLSS. Generic AI upscaling similar to what Shield TV can do is more like it.
Switch already scales output for non-1080p tvs and the zoom mode, so I guess it would have replaced that step.

What is the PC GPU equivalent of Switch 1's GPU?
Like GM20B, The GeForce 920MX is Maxwell 2.0 with 256 CUDA cores @ 993 MHz, however it has 8 more TMUs and 8 less ROPs compared to the Switch.

The DDR3 variant is limited by its slower 14.4 GB/s bandwidth (compared to the Switch's 25.6 GB/s shared LPDDR4(X)-3200), but there is a GDDR5 variant with 40.10 GB/s.

Last edited:
Yeah, you probably won't want to snub Bloomberg in your reveal event, even if they delegate the report to Mochizuki. Not that I am convinced this is a reveal event or anything.

Wouldn't a reveal (at least a non-closed one) happen in Tokyo to begin with? Iirc, the Switch Jan 2017 presentation was in a convention hall in Tokyo, no?

I respectfully disagree that there ever was a cancelled pro. Theres zero evidence of any other soc upgrade than Drake was ever in development for Nintendo.

For all we know Switch 2 could have had more than one delay. Maybe SOC design went a lot smoother than the rest of the hardware.
Evidence points to Switch OLED originally being something much more. Most notably, there's hardware functionality in the dock for 4K output.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Last edited:
Switch 2 babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
BABY BABY BABY BABY

Nintendo when they decide to invite Mochi into the building:

9PzGXBW.gif

Seriously though I have a really really really really really really really really hard time seeing Nintendo opening their doors to the guy who's known for writing articles that they have to shut down. Maybe I'm wrong and they think it's better to bring him in under a heavy-duty NDA to try and control him or something

or maybe it's a whole thing with multiple publications and Bloomberg is just too big for them to ignore

or maybe he's toying with the internet by posting a picture he took from the street 😅
Or maybe they're gonna demo the console to the press? Though it is veeeery early

One (Analyst) does not simple walk into Nintendo HQ…
lmao Lord of the Rings really is an ever present pop culture source material xD

Could it be that he's just in Kyoto and passed by the building?
Probably.

Wouldn't a reveal (at least a non-closed one) happen in Tokyo to begin with? Iirc, the Switch Jan 2017 presentation was in a convention hall in Tokyo, no?
Assuming the reporter was invited to Nintendo, and assuming it's something switch 2 related, maybe they're doing a select press demo to them with the console and a piece or two of software, later they reveal and then do an event

BABY BABY BABY BABY
Fear's awake, anger beats loud, face reality
Never beat charity

Or maybe they're gonna demo the console to the press? Though it is veeeery early
I do need to genuinely ask,, how often has Nintendo demoed their systems to the press prior to the console unveil or even its announcement? Afaik, it doesn't happen often, at least in the modern era.
Usually we learn about the console through leaks, so what's going on here....

Assuming the reporter was invited to Nintendo, and assuming it's something switch 2 related, maybe they're doing a select press demo to them with the console and a piece or two of software, later they reveal and then do an event

No idea if the timing is right or even remotely comparable (personally, feels a bit too close to the end of the fiscal year, but at the same time, who knows when the supposed hands-on might get public?) but in 2005 they apparently invited press to unveil the wiimote like this:

It was a rare opportunity. Yesterday, just outside of Tokyo, Japan, Nintendo invited us to experience the Nintendo Revolution controller for ourselves. Joined only by Shigeru Miyamoto and a few executives, we attended a sort of schooling on the controller, the centerpiece of the Big N's next-generation platform. It has long been speculated on, but now it's actually something tangible that we can understand -- or, try to understand anyway.
[...]
To show off its features, Nintendo designed a series of crude gameplay demos. Since it did such a good job of helping us understand how the controller works, we'll describe them in detail in the following paragraphs. None of them ran on the Revolution graphics hardware. They were strictly to demonstrate certain features.

No idea if the timing is right or even remotely comparable (personally, feels a bit too close to the end of the fiscal year, but at the same time, who knows when the supposed hands-on might get public?) but in 2005 they apparently invited press to unveil the wiimote like this:

It was a rare opportunity. Yesterday, just outside of Tokyo, Japan, Nintendo invited us to experience the Nintendo Revolution controller for ourselves. Joined only by Shigeru Miyamoto and a few executives, we attended a sort of schooling on the controller, the centerpiece of the Big N's next-generation platform. It has long been speculated on, but now it's actually something tangible that we can understand -- or, try to understand anyway.
[...]
To show off its features, Nintendo designed a series of crude gameplay demos. Since it did such a good job of helping us understand how the controller works, we'll describe them in detail in the following paragraphs. None of them ran on the Revolution graphics hardware. They were strictly to demonstrate certain features.

Okay, just in an attempt to understand the equivalent timing, Project Revolution was revealed at the Pre-E3 2004 conference. For a time frame, that's 2 and a half years before the system would even release. The hands on impression was in May 2005 according to IGN. That actually lines up with how the Switch 1 was revealed in a trailer, then 3 months later got a presentation and a bunch of demos to Journalists and Influencers before a release less than 3 months later.

So... Nintendo inviting Journos to use the Switch 2 now in any form is weird right? I don't believe there was a situation that a Nintendo system was demoed to journalists prior to their "codename reveal". The 3ds had a press statement in Feb before it's full reveal at E3 2010. I don't remember specifics with the Wii U's pre-reveal in E3 2011, but there were leaks about Project Cafe (Afaik, it wasn't from a journalist tho, rather an unknown source) but that doesn't say it was demoed at all.

I have no clue what's going on with this story, imma just keep expectations low for now.

Pyoro liked that one tweet about nash weedle having 0 credibility btw XD

need him on the banned content list at some point instead of him clogging up threads with vagueposts and emojis

So guys do we know if Mochi was invited to Nintendo or is he just there randomly posing with the building, i really need(not want) for the former to be true

I thought it was just a random passby pic, but then someone else tweeted this photo of building. Mochi would have to walk all the way up to be fairly close to the building to take a photo, with that tree in frame in front of the building.

Still, I'm gonna think it's random pic till otherwise. Where is Mochi's office anyway (if he doesn't work fro home), is it also in Kyoto?

I thought it was just a random passby pic, but then someone else tweeted this photo of building. Mochi would have to walk all the way up to be fairly close to the building to take a photo, with that tree in frame in front of the building.

Still, I'm gonna think it's random pic till otherwise. Where is Mochi's office anyway (if he doesn't work fro home), is it also in Kyoto?

It's in there....a few of them I bet

It's in there....a few of them I bet
Mochi's office (or even a few of them) is in that building?

edit: Oh you mean Kyoto. NVM. Thought you were talking about Nintendo building sharing (leasing out) offices with some non-Nintendo entities.

Last edited:

Still, I'm gonna think it's random pic till otherwise. Where is Mochi's office anyway (if he doesn't work fro home)?

"Hey, how's it going, welcome to another episode of an ongoing series where we basically take the camera anywhere we want to try to fin-"

Okay but for real, that does actually mean he's going to Nintendo's offices for something, but this still doesn't give an actual information for what's going on. Next week has potential to be interesting, especially with GDC just behind us. Switch 2 news probably real? Hopefully? Please?

Or he zoomed the camera.

Pyoro liked that one tweet about nash weedle having 0 credibility btw XD

need him on the banned content list at some point instead of him clogging up threads with vagueposts and emojis
We should mass report.

With the recent sonic heroes rumored coming to play.

It seems like Sega and Atlus will be one of the bigger switch 2 developers.

My biggest hope will be that Sega will make yakuza ports, since the portability will be huge for yakuza, since those are long ass games.

not at that angle
Yeah, to get tree at that angle (slightly pointing upwards), one would have to get fairly close, Cannot get tree at that angle zooming in from that far out.

I know I said I think it's probably a random pic, but it's also a bit odd when I think about it.

With the recent sonic heroes rumored coming to play.

It seems like Sega and Atlus will be one of the bigger switch 2 developers.

My biggest hope will be that Sega will make yakuza ports, since the portability will be huge for yakuza, since those are long ass games.
I mean, SEGA pretty much always showed their support for Nintendo since the Gamecube, so it doesn't really seem like things are changing, pretty much just the support is increasing. The only real development from this past generation is Atlus' sudden support of the Switch with the Persona series (excluding P3R for obvious reasons). If Yakuza comes to Switch, then SEGA has become one of the defacto second/third party developers for Nintendo. Can't wait for it tbh.

First time speaking in a thread. Nintendo's headquarters, as far as I know, is unlikely to walk by, slightly remote, in fact, there are no taller buildings around a kilometer (maybe).

Is he currently in private property? Since the only reason he’ll be there would be if he’s either going to interview someone or he’s in a studio tour.
You can find the exact spot on google maps. There's a public sidewalk where he could have took the picture from

I still think the photo is weird, especially with the cryptic message he gave as well lol

Evidence points to Switch OLED originally being something much more. Most notably, there's hardware functionality in the dock for 4K output.

I do get the feeling that some more interesting stuff on this topic can suddenly pop up sooner than later. Did the news about Switch 2‘s UE5 demo leaked out a few weeks after the event for it took place?

Okay, so this is likely obvious information, but I decided to look around at the office buildings that Nintendo owns on Google maps and other misc photos from these two images. The most obvious sign for the buildings in the tweet were the darker tiling beneath and across the top of the building.

Looking at Google Maps and pictures of the office buildings in Kyoto. Nintendo Central Office and Nintendo Kyoto Research Institute do not line up with the image. That said, Nintendo Kyoto Development Complex does fit the bill. Looking at Maps, there are a bunch of leaf-less trees from February 2022 next to the building that cannot be seen at that low of an angle outside of the office. "Bingpot" one might say.

So what does Nintendo Kyoto Development Complex do? Well they house the Entertainment Planning & Development (EPD), Platform Technology Department (PTD) and other Business Development divisions.

The problem is that, with both of those divisions being in the same building, it's hard to say with any certainty that it's a hardware-related thing or a software-related thing. However, the reporter in the image is from Bloomberg, with Mochizuki mainly focusing on hardware. It's mainly hardware like the PSVR2, Japan's hardware chips and of course the Switch 2. He also discussed Palworld and a relation with XGP a lot in recent times, but that was a big hit so fair enough.

So pretty much, I have little reason to not suspect that some chicanery is afoot. There's no reason for Mochizuki to be invited to the Nintendo Development Complex for a demo of software. It's most likely a hardware demonstration or a formal meeting about something related to Switch 2. No idea what, but I am a lot more interested in this story with this context in mind.

So pretty much, I have little reason to not suspect that some chicanery is afoot. There's no reason for Mochizuki to be invited to the Nintendo Development Complex for a demo of software. It's most likely a hardware demonstration or a formal meeting about something related to Switch 2. No idea what, but I am a lot more interested in this story with this context in mind.
Why the fuck would Nintendo invite a Bloomberg journalist to see their new hardware? (Unless it's a ruse to torture him in the basement). He is a business journalist, not a gaming or tech journalist. I do not think he would be invited to Nintendo for any reason.

Why the fuck would Nintendo invite a Bloomberg journalist to see their new hardware? (Unless it's a ruse to torture him in the basement). He is a business journalist, not a gaming or tech journalist. I do not think he would be invited to Nintendo for any reason.
I legitimately have no idea, but, as an attempt at a counterpoint, why would Nintendo invite a business journalist to Nintendo's Development Complex? Why not the main offices if it were about business or business progress? Furthermore, why would they do this now instead of the earnings release, or the Financial Results briefings in May?

This entire situation is strange. If it turns out to be nothing, oh well, but I don't think it is.

Okay, so this is likely obvious information, but I decided to look around at the office buildings that Nintendo owns on Google maps and other misc photos from these two images. The most obvious sign for the buildings in the tweet were the darker tiling beneath and across the top of the building.

Looking at Google Maps and pictures of the office buildings in Kyoto. Nintendo Central Office and Nintendo Kyoto Research Institute do not line up with the image. That said, Nintendo Kyoto Development Complex does fit the bill. Looking at Maps, there are a bunch of leaf-less trees from February 2022 next to the building that cannot be seen at that low of an angle outside of the office. "Bingpot" one might say.

So what does Nintendo Kyoto Development Complex do? Well they house the Entertainment Planning & Development (EPD), Platform Technology Department (PTD) and other Business Development divisions.

The problem is that, with both of those divisions being in the same building, it's hard to say with any certainty that it's a hardware-related thing or a software-related thing. However, the reporter in the image is from Bloomberg, with Mochizuki mainly focusing on hardware. It's mainly hardware like the PSVR2, Japan's hardware chips and of course the Switch 2. He also discussed Palworld and a relation with XGP a lot in recent times, but that was a big hit so fair enough.

Can confirm, looks like the picture comes from the North side of the development complex

Could it be just a press preview event for a game to be announced in the April Direct, with NDA to have previews dropped soon after?

I just can't see Nintendo showing an unannounced hardware to the press. It's just begging to be leaked if they do. And that's something that isn't supposed to be even announced for like 3 more months.

Could it be just a press preview event for a game to be announced in the April Direct, with NDA to have previews dropped soon after?

I just can't see Nintendo showing an unannounced hardware to the press. It's just begging to be leaked if they do. And that's something that isn't supposed to be even announced for like 3 more months.
Could just be an interview involving a director or someone higher. A bit more innocuous than sharing Direct info or revealing hardware.

I mentioned it previously, but Mochizuki being a journalist for this is... weird. If it was a press event for showing a game, it would make a lot of sense for smaller, gaming-focused journalists from IGN, Polygon or otherwise to go to the event, not a largely hardware-focused journalist from Bloomberg who likely wouldn't make a preview article for his job. I have very little reason to believe it isn't hardware related or something akin to that. If it was business based, it'd be in the more business focused buildings. If it was software-based, why Mochizuki?

5 bucks it's just Mochi being weird as he was in the area

He would not be allowed inside the building/area unless he was there on official business. The fact the photo is at a low angle and so close to the tree shows it was in the grounds. Now, there are trees that are seeable outside of the building/company-owned grounds, but they had leaves in February of 2022. I don't see how they wouldn't have leaves in March of 2024.

He would not be allowed inside the building/area unless he was there on official business. The fact the photo is at a low angle and so close to the tree shows it was in the grounds. Now, there are trees that are seeable outside of the building/company-owned grounds, but they had leaves in February of 2022. I don't see how they wouldn't have leaves in March of 2024.

Trees with leaves?

The tree from this link and the tree from his tweet are the same. It is not on the grounds.

He could have just been waiting for the bus and to pass the time he posted a pic to fuck with the internet for his own amusement. I get that this is the speculation thread. But allow yourself to speculate it could actually not be related and just be a coincidence.

nintree.png

Are you thinking the picture is from the east end parking lot? I don't see any power lines in the parking lot, so I still think it is from the North end

We still don't know anything about why he was there? I'm getting suspicious.

If we end up getting something in march after all this pain I'm going to be funged as hell
Nope. Even in the best case scenario, it's all based on speculation. All we know is that a prolific hardware-focused Bloomberg journalist is going to a Nintendo building that focuses on product (software and hardware) development. The two best guesses, at least for me, are it's something hardware related or another very valid take:
Could just be an interview involving a director or someone higher. A bit more innocuous than sharing Direct info or revealing hardware.
@darthdiablo's guess is pretty good here, but again with the location. Why at this building? Why an interview now? Also, and I really want someone to prove me wrong, I can't find a recent article where Mochizuki has done an interview. I genuinely don't know.

My guess is that something is happening, but it's either an interview or hardware thing. I really don't know...

...to pass the time he posted a pic to fuck with the internet for his own amusement.

While that's definitely possible, one would hope he wouldn't actively try to rile up internet folks "just for fun" after he got so much backlash for actually just doing his job (aka reporting on things he got from sources / analysts). It would be a shitty situation.

In the end, it might be best to mark calendars for May, and be happily surprised something comes before that timeframe.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom