• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

in that case, wouldn't it be pushed to 2026 at max? be it Q1 or Q3
and in which case, we'll get switch 2 spec leaks during this year be it from ubi or some other companies
Of course the Switch 2 will be leaked in some form in the coming months. Nikkei for example is the first article that clearly spells out that Switch 2 will have the same form factor and be a hybrid system as the Switch.

In addition to Nikkei, Taiwan’s MoneyDJ also published a new report. There’s not much new info aside from this key point (translation mine):

從相關供應鏈反饋訊息,新機仍有機會在今年亮相,據了解,遊戲機已經開發完畢,Q3有機會進入生產階段,不過遊戲機何時推出則還是要看相關搭配遊戲準備狀況。

“According to the information gathered from the relevant supply chain, the new console can still be unveiled this year. It is understood that the development of the game console has been completed, and there is probability that the production may commence in Q3. However, the release date is still dependent on the readiness of launch titles.”

Note the distinction between “unveil” and “release”.

Edit: I’d like to add that the MoneyDJ article was published at 11:56 AM Taiwan Time, and the Nikkei one 7:00 PM Japan Time. So the former was published about 6 hours ahead; it isn’t a piggyback report.

Last edited:
Maybe we should wait until we see the actual hardware and software before jumping to conclusions on if we should be worried about it or not.

yeah but that still doesn't count the possibility of a 2026-2027 release for the console
We can rule that out, Switch will sell next to nothing in 2026-2027 so that would completely ruin Nintendo's finances to not have a new console releasing way before then.

well if there's something we learnt about nintendo, is that they are sitting on ready games that they could use to fill up any gap they have so i think even if switch 2 isn't 2025 they still have some games to fill up that gap

Games take time to develop, how many games do you think they have sitting to be released on the Switch? Not enough to fill up all of 2025 I can tell you that.

i'm sorry if i sound pessimistic, it's just after reading that nikkei article i felt that switch 2 may be in trouble & will get constantly delayed for more few years

I wonder if Nintendo is forcing their devs to do some crunch to get all first party software titles ready for launch, having to delay more than that would be a disaster for Nintendo in 2025.

i'm sorry if i sound pessimistic, it's just after reading that nikkei article i felt that switch 2 may be in trouble & will get constantly delayed for more few years
But that is not what the article says, it says in a worst case scenario due to lack of software the console may be delayed a bit further into 2025. No chance it misses a 2025 release.

I guess Nintendo is very worried about the transition from Switch 1 to 2, guessing it is the first time they're doing something that isn't an entirely new console idea (apart from the handhelds, of course, but even then they differed a lot). Nintendo Switch's launch lineup was not the most incredible thing ever either, it had BoTW, some other fun games like Snipperclips and 1-2 Switch as a showcase to the joy-cons co-op kind of thing. Initially, the Switch's gimmick was what gave it the most sales, software quantity and quality grew over time, but did not release with a lot on it initially.
They might want to be a bit more aggressive on the launch titles this time to smooth out this transition between generations and give the new Switch something like the Xbox One -> Series or PS4 -> PS5 sort of thing. Makes total sense to me at least, although it's bumming they will delay the release for that. But if that gives better momentum for their launch and better games for me to play, i'm fine with all delays.

EDIT: Plus, i don't see why some people tend to believe this is a problem with hardware-side of things. Things like chipsets and SoCs to be used on systems like this are planned and tested for years upfront, software is a harder deal because deadlines are tighter and readiness of those are volatile. I'm sure the chipset is just fine, most likely they will use the additional time to build better stock for the release too.

I wish Nintendo would just come out and say something about this device already, being mum about it just lead to more rumors and bad press

Nikkei article have no source, also they are not saying "it will have further delay", but "it may have further delay". This is just an estimation, which can be done by anyone.

Nintendo profit is dropping, that will be hard for them to have further delay.

I am waiting for Nintendo announcement.

Last edited:
yeah but that still doesn't count the possibility of a 2026-2027 release for the console

2026 is not on the cards. March 2025 was the new deadline now. Devs were made aware of this hence why I was informed, also hence why I've sort of bailed out of this thread and haven't been checking on it anymore because it's virtually pointless to me at this point considering the wait in store now due to the delay.

Not much of note is going to occur anymore this year. Things will pick up in Q4 2024. Nintendo has delayed it MORE than enough at this point, to what can be considered an absurdity.

If I hear about any further changes I'll let you know, my source is quite frustrated with this whole ordeal as much as anyone else is (mainly because the team is sitting on finished software at this point so it won't be profitable for a year now because it is tied to launch.)

Don't expect anything crazy like 2026, this delay has only adjusted the launch year from 2024 to 2025. I doubt Nintendo is going to push it any further than that, if they did, it would spell far more trouble going on over there than just their games.

I guess Nintendo is very worried about the transition from Switch 1 to 2, guessing it is the first time they're doing something that isn't an entirely new console idea (apart from the handhelds, of course, but even then they differed a lot). Nintendo Switch's launch lineup was not the most incredible thing ever either, it had BoTW, some other fun games like Snipperclips and 1-2 Switch as a showcase to the joy-cons co-op kind of thing. Initially, the Switch's gimmick was what gave it the most sales, software quantity and quality grew over time, but did not release with a lot on it initially.
They might want to be a bit more aggressive on the launch titles this time to smooth out this transition between generations and give the new Switch something like the Xbox One -> Series or PS4 -> PS5 sort of thing. Makes total sense to me at least, although it's bumming they will delay the release for that. But if that gives better momentum for their launch and better games for me to play, i'm fine with all delays.

EDIT: Plus, i don't see why some people tend to believe this is a problem with hardware-side of things. Things like chipsets and SoCs to be used on systems like this are planned and tested for years upfront, software is a harder deal because deadlines are tighter and readiness of those are volatile. I'm sure the chipset is just fine, most likely they will use the additional time to build better stock for the release too.
I think the huge success of the Switch has not blinded Nintendo, they know that they have had numerous bad console generations before like the N64, Gamecube and most notably the Wii U, that is probably something they think about constantly.

Nikkei article have no source, also they are not saying "it will have further delay", but "it may have further delay". This is just an estimation, which can be done by anyone.

Nintendo profit is dropping, that will be hard for them to have further delay.

I am waiting for Nintendo announcement.
Same as Bloomberg‘s “March 2025 at the earliest“.

I wonder if Nintendo is forcing their devs to do some crunch to get all first party software titles ready for launch, having to delay more than that would be a disaster for Nintendo in 2025.
I actually think that it might be the opposite, they’ve had to delay the console because they’re avoiding crunch and they’re just going to give developers as much time as they need.

it sounds like the 'March' date can and will probably change. lets hope it releases before the end of 2025 as software delays can be considerable.
Well I don't believe there's enough evidence stating that the Switch 2 release will be delayed further. It's a possibility sure, but Furukawa has stressed that Nintendo wants the timeline for the reveal and release of the next console to be shorter. We'll know if the release will be delayed if we hear more reports throughout the year of first party games still being in development.

Dead formats are pretty impractical all things considered, and CFe has advantages other than not being dead, like being easier to cool.

Though I swear this is another rotation of the speculation cycle. Performance, backwards compatibility, controller features, expandable storage. Round and round we go.

I should clarify that I meant that between choosing UFS or proprietary UFS, they will pick the open standard one. I'm expecting SD. As far as I could tell, UFS cards use less than a watt in term of consumption so cooling isn't a problem.

At least we are in completely in the dark in regards to expandable storage. We got a good idea of everything else except whatever they might add to the controllers.

it sounds like the 'March' date can and will probably change. lets hope it releases before the end of 2025 as software delays can be considerable.
If Switch 2 is delayed all into september 2025 then one would wonder what is happening with the Switch 2 devkits, are Nintendo having a much harder time mastering the new NVIDIA tech then they thought?

It would be darkly funny if Nintendo really wanted Prime 4 as a launch window title and they had to keep delaying the console every time Tanabe said he needed another six months.
If Nintendo EPD is having trouble getting their games ready in time we can be sure that Retro studios is having problems completing Metroid Prime 4 in time as well.

If Switch 2 is delayed all into september 2025 then one would wonder what is happening with the Switch 2 devkits, are Nintendo having a much harder time mastering the new NVIDIA tech then they thought?

It's probably less a tech thing and more a scope and expectations thing.

Mario Kart and Animal Crossing have massive expectations for their next entries, especially Mario Kart. Nintendo has to find a way to live up to those expectations and this could lead to new mechanics that cause delays because play testers think it goes against the spirit of the series. Or maybe Nintendo's adding like a billion modes (or at least testing a billion modes) in Mario Kart, like a story mode, battle royale, co-op, etc that are causing delays.

if it wasn't obvious that March probably wasn't a final date and simply a way of communicating to devs that it isn't 2024 but 2025 there it is. i'll comfortably take a place on #TeamFY25-26 as to when it'll eventually launch. it doesn't sound like Nintendo are very confident themselves and a 'June reveal' won't materialize nor will there be any mention of it in the coming FY projections.

I am going to scream loud enough for all of Fami to hear if they delay this to September. Please buy your earplugs early. Do not delay.
i mean if a delay to sep 2025 isn't unrealistic, then 2026 delay shouldn't be unrealistic as well
You could keep using this logic until we hit 2030.

Man of all the news to wake up to. Honestly I do not think Nintendo can afford to delay past March 2025, not because of console/game sales, but because any further delays are going to damage relationships with third parties. Can't help but feel for devs who have to keep dancing around the Switch 2 versions of their games.

So if all of this is true, there were studios with PRO devkits in 2020-21 (which were recalled), then devkits for the switch 2 releasing in 2024 and now finally in 2025?

Seems like a lot of dizziness for third parties and a bit of lack of confidence. A lot of work wasted with so many delays (or even projects canceled because of it).

i mean if a delay to sep 2025 isn't unrealistic, then 2026 delay shouldn't be unrealistic as well
Logical fallacy, eventually a point comes when they have to release the Switch 2 regardless the outlook of software being ready or not. They will not go past 2025 for a Switch 2 release. The Switch is dying now and by 2026 will be dead in terms of hardware and software sales. Nintendo already this year will have nothing but remasters releasing, it would be impossible for them to have all of 2025 releasing with ports and remasters for their profits not to be in total collapse by then.

Its one thing to delay a system for 6-8 months, that happened with the original Switch. For a system launch to be delayed years is something that has never happened in gaming history.

by late 2025 they've killed all the momentum the brand may have had if they haven't already, hardly a 'smooth transition'. regardless of the reason at some point you have to start assuming it's also bad management.

Man of all the news to wake up to. Honestly I do not think Nintendo can afford to delay past March 2025, not because of console/game sales, but because any further delays are going to damage relationships with third parties. Can't help but feel for devs who have to keep dancing around the Switch 2 versions of their games.
Seriously. We already have people here saying they know folks sitting on finished software. They just gonna tell these companies to wait like a year and change for their payday? Two years? Doubt it.

by late 2025 they've killed all the momentum the brand may have had if they haven't already, hardly a 'smooth transition'. regardless of the reason at some point you have to start assuming it's also bad management.
What Nintendo did wrong was their expansion plans, they started too late to expand their internal development studios. The new building planned for 2028 should happen already in 2025 for example. Because its obvious that they have too small development team compared to their new status in the industry since the release of the Switch.

I'm surprised the possibility of launching beyond March 2025 is there. I really figured November 2024. And even then I feel like March 2024 would have been the ideal launch date. I gotta wonder what exactly is going on at Nintendo for them not to be ready yet.

It's a bit early to get worked up over further delays. Nothing is set in stone so I wouldn't put much weight on it unless we're closer to March 2025 and start hearing of more delays.

It does suck though because it feels like we're back to square one with the timing of reveal/release.

I'm surprised the possibility of launching beyond March 2025 is there. I really figured November 2024. And even then I feel like March 2024 would have been the ideal launch date. I gotta wonder what exactly is going on at Nintendo for them not to be ready yet.

Ambitious AAA games take a very long time to make, especially if you have reboots.

If the next 3D Mario or Mario Kart includes a lot of new stuff to the series (or at least did in prior builds) that can take a lot of time to develop.

I should clarify that I meant that between choosing UFS or proprietary UFS, they will pick the open standard one. I'm expecting SD. As far as I could tell, UFS cards use less than a watt in term of consumption so cooling isn't a problem.

At least we are in completely in the dark in regards to expandable storage. We got a good idea of everything else except whatever they might add to the controllers.
I actually agree. Though I think the expansion options include proprietary technology, in a theoretical situation where they go with UFS based expandable storage, I hope it's UFS Card and not "Nintendo Card".

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom