• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Random thought. Nintendo and Microsoft made that deal to bring Cod to Switch for 10 years. If the console is delayed, will that 10 year of support need to be delayed too or will Switch 1 get something Cod related this year?

Microsoft told the courts last year that they would bring Call of Duty to Switch 1.

I’m not gonna lie this makes things a bit more exciting, really curious how this is going to play out now. If this ended up being fake too that would be absolutely insane.
Imagine H1 believers are right. They show the device and it drops in early June. The internet would go nuts.

So far yes and when T239 Drake was in development , but a few days was report that Nvidia Semi Custom Unit Division was create also consoles in mind, to offer very customize SoC for different things
I don't know if Nvidia will give a large amount of flexibility in terms of customising Nvidia's GPU architectures in the same way AMD gave Sony and Microsoft a large amount of flexibility mixing and matching RDNA and RDNA 2 IPs for the GPUs on the PlayStation 5's and the Xbox Series X|S's APUs (here, here, here, and here) for customers of Nvidia's custom chip design business unit.

T239's GPU architecture is arguably simply Ampere with some features from Ada Lovelace that don't drastically change the GPU architecture, with T239's GPU using the same Tensor cores as consumer Ampere GPUs vs Orin, T239's GPU having 1 GPC for 12 SMs being on par with consumer Ampere GPUs architecturally (GA102 has 7 GPCs for 84 SMs, which breaks down to 1 GPC for 12 SMs), etc. (Ada Lovelace not being drastically different from Ampere outside of larger L2 cache architecturally also helps.)

Have it been mentioned whether or not the Partner Showcase was postponed to next week due to the recent developments (launch being pushed out)? Assuming Partner Showcase is real of course and was postponed and not planned for next week the entire time.

Have it been mentioned whether or not the Partner Showcase was postponed to next week due to the recent developments (launch being pushed out)? Assuming Partner Showcase is real of course and was postponed and not planned for next week the entire time.
They are still on the "xbox did it" train last I checked,

T239's GPU architecture is arguably simply Ampere with some features from Ada Lovelace that don't drastically change the GPU architecture, with T239's GPU using the same Tensor cores as consumer Ampere GPUs vs Orin, T239's GPU having 1 GPC for 12 SMs being on par with consumer Ampere GPUs architecturally (GA102 has 7 GPCs for 84 SMs, which breaks down to 1 GPC for 12 SMs), etc. (Ada Lovelace not being drastically different from Ampere outside of larger L2 cache architecturally also helps.)
I could also imagine it was for practicality reasons. Drake was in part developed in parallel with Orin, also on Ampere by the same team.

I can also imagine BC having something to do with it, as it would give them more time to work on the translation layer.

Nobody knows. Perhaps it was never meant to be this week aince Pyoro never said anything.

Has this been posted here yet? The mood can't get much worse anyways.

Repeat after me: Kepler doesn't know anything.

News like this are just made to make doomerism enter and take over your entire soul, leaving only the soul of a doomer left from the once bright and optimistic soul that once existed.
Grand Doomer

800px-KRtDLD_Grand_Doomer_screenshot.png

Video Games Chronicle said:

Since publishing this story, VGC has heard from multiple sources who said Nintendo has told publishers its next console will now launch in Q1 2025.

According to the sources, third-party game companies were recently briefed on an internal delay in Nintendo's next-gen launch timing, from late 2024 to early the following year.

NateDrake said:

Instead of answering each tweet asking for my take, I'll respond here: I became aware of industry chatter concerning a delay to Q1 2025 earlier this week. This info was only relayed to partners very recent.
This seems very suspect to me given Shuntaro Furukawa's answer to the first question of the Q&A session for the nine month financial results briefing for the fiscal year ending in March 2024.
Shuntaro Furukawa said:

Regarding new hardware, we are unable to make any comments beyond saying that our company is constantly conducting research and development on new hardware and software. As we mentioned before, articles claiming to reference information released by Nintendo and other speculations have been appearing mainly on the internet lately. Information that has not been officially announced by Nintendo can mislead consumers and investors. We encourage you to exercise good judgment based on the information we provide on our official websites and social media accounts. It takes a long time and thorough planning to get ready for new hardware, and those plans are not impacted by whatever the latest business conditions might be.

Interesting. Where did he admit to that explicitly?

In additional to what Dakhil already shared, Kopite has also shared wrong info on non-T239 chips in the past.

Mostly from my POV the only thing he was good for, as far as Switch 2 goes, is getting the T239 part right. Everything else he had said is either wrong or up in the air (ie: 8nm claim)

Grain of salt on anything coming from him.

I'm very curious to know why they would delay the Switch successor. Is it related to hardware or software? If the former, I doubt its supply chain related as that has been largely taken care of since early last year. If the latter, which games are being primed for a launch lineup? There's so many questions flooding my mind right now.

all this drama for a year delay, we not gonna die, if Switch sucessor dont launch this year

Speak for yourself.

I can feel life force leaving my flesh vessel, it’s a matter of time before I see words “GAME OVER”

Oh wait I was just playing a Switch 1 game

This seems very suspect to me given Shuntaro Furukawa's answer to the first question of the Q&A session for the nine month financial results briefing for the fiscal year ending in March 2024.

I mean Furukawa is so hard to read, mostly everything he says means nothing butttt…

The recent fall in the share price might make Nintendo pay attention, 5% in a day is nothing to scoff at and if that continues they might want to do something fast especially if this news isn’t completely true.

Trailer releasing on Monday!

Answer me this:

If Nintendo was so short stocked/panicked on software and had to delay everything to accommodate, then why didn't they hold onto Super Mario Wonder? Switch didn't need Wonder last year with TotK, Fire Emblem Engage, Pikmin 4, SMRPG, Pokemon, Xenoblade Future Redeemed, Mario Kart DLC, Advance Wars, etc? Could have used that for Switch 2 as a cross-platform game if they're so desperate.

Or better yet, why are they clumping/releasing most of their first party lineup in the first 3 months of 2024 when software is already anemic? Another Code, Mario VS Donkey Kong, Princess Peach Showtime, Splatoon 3 Side Order. Then to have to resort to a partner direct when there's only 2 remasters left on your plate, no original games for the rest of 2024 and with no release dates on said games, sounds ingenious.

It doesn't make sense, I don't buy these rumors.
you have to remember that, if these rumors are true, this delay is a very recent development. nintendo presumably went throughout 2023 assuming the switch 2 would be ready for 2024 like all of us and thus saw no reason to hold back a big game like mario wonder for another year, especially when they were looking to capitalize on the main holiday season after the mario movie's success where kids would be asking for a new mario game

likewise, if you believe the next 3D mario was/is already planned to be the switch 2's big exclusive launch title, it definitely wouldn't make sense for nintendo to delay wonder in 2023 if they were planning on selling the NEXT big mario game for it as the launch title that was going to really sell the hardware

as for the partner direct stuff, yeah i agree its all weird but again, if this delay is a recent development, then theres not much they can do in the short term to change their plans for 2024 on switch 1. if they didnt plan a general feb direct two weeks ago, and they decided to delay the switch 2 last week, then they can't just pull together a big feb direct out of nowhere in time to make up for it

as much as it sucks to hear i think we're just gonna be left with a dry year for switch 1 with whatever smaller games they already had planned while nintendo scrambles to get the console out the door early next year, assuming this is all true

Friiiiiiiick. Been waiting for stronger Switch HW since the rumored Pro in 2021. That turned out to be the OLED, which implied 2022 wasn't likely. But then we had hope for early 2023. Late 2022 hits and those hopes are dashed. Hold out that maybe late 2023 will be the time. Summer comes and goes and that hope is gone. But fine, it's always been 2024 or bust, you can go to Vegas on that. Then in the first few months we finally start hearing some juicy rumors. People speculating it could even release by Summer 2024, not even Fall! Then literally weeks away from it being unveiled per rumors and now it might have been pushed to 2025 and the reveal timing is in flux

Most exhausting ride I still choose to be on

His comments make me think it has to be software related. The hardware is ready but the software is not, and for Nintendo that leads to the hardware being delayed as a result. But of course the fact that the software isn't ready is a failure of strategic planning in itself that will probably lead to some internal changes at the company as well.

It's not even a year delay. It's a delay of a quarter (3 months). People are freaking out due to a delay of 3 months at max.

How is September to March only 3 months max? Nobody said it was coming out in December as a certainty, did they? I think the fact is, the delay could be up to 6 months depending on when they were originally going to release it, and when they actually do.

Nobody has said this delay is business related though
. It's software related, like the switch 1 delay.

I can see why software would get delayed (outside of the obvious reasons as to why games typically get delayed) considering its new hardware and many of Nintendo's internal teams are used to maximizing the Tegra X1, so there could be not just a learning curve with the new tech, but also more time to maximize the potential for the new hardware out of the gate. I don't see it as a planning failure...although you certainly can argue that.

From Kepler on reddit, regarding the "8nm" comment:

I don't have any inside NVIDIA sources to be clear, I'm just basing this on the fact that Ampere B/Orin products have all been 8nm so far, and there's no evidence of T239 using a different node.

His comments make me think it has to be software related. The hardware is ready but the software is not, and for Nintendo that leads to the hardware being delayed as a result. But of course the fact that the software isn't ready is a failure of strategic planning in itself that will probably lead to some internal changes at the company as well.

And if this is true it must be a major game (likely launch title). Wondering what it could be too. I hope not MP4

The worst part is that we have another year of speculation for the next switch.
Another year of 8gb ram, 8nm node, console less powerful than ps4, only a switch pro with no exclusive etc.
It’s true, hell is real and it’s called

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)​

And it never ends

From Kepler on reddit, regarding the "8nm" comment:

Boom there it is, we finally know why he thinks 8nm. It was speculated the entire time, not knowledge.

This is faulty thinking - Maxwell GPUs are all 28nm.

Guess what node process original Switch Maxwell SoC was?

20nm, not 28nm.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom