• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Yes, but that is what the research field is developing for (frontal detection is already robust, from the side it becomes more difficult, but you can integrate other sensors or objects for better identification, such as a joy-con or ring fit)

real-time performance on jetson nano boards

Study 1
Study 2

etc. you can find a lot about it and real-time use is becoming more feasible.

Idk I feel like this is an area where I expect Nintendo to really make use of NVIDIA's partnership.

Ubisoft probably begging Nintendo to add a front camera just for this

how funny would it be for Nintendo to perfect Kinect when MS couldn't (granted, they did after dumping gaming)

Yes, but that is what the research field is developing for (frontal detection is already robust, from the side it becomes more difficult, but you can integrate other sensors or objects for better identification, such as a joy-con or ring fit)

real-time performance on jetson nano boards

Study 1
Study 2

etc. you can find a lot about it and real-time use is becoming more feasible.

Idk I feel like this is an area where I expect Nintendo to really make use of NVIDIA's partnership.

As I have already stated a few times here, this is exactly what I'm expecting. Also, you can use the camera to correct the IMU drift on the joy-cons. You can also fuse the 3 different tracking (body, IMU, IR)

At this point I think I'm so emotionally invested on this idea that if Nintendo don't do anything to bring motion gameplay (as a whole) to the next level, then I'll be so disappointed that I'll end up waiting the console to build a strong library (of exclusive titles) before I buy it.

Please, Nintendo. Just... do it!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
The Switch has the same hardware, with Drake/Orin's only slightly updated - I believe it now supports enough output audio channels for 7.1 surround sound instead of just 5.1, but considering very few Switch games got past basic stereo sound, I'm not sure we'll see much take advantage of it.
A large majority of first party Nintendo games do support 5.1 surround sound. Some 2D or topdown games like Metroid Dread and Animal Crossing support it. All 3D Mario games support it including Super Mario Party of all games. Every Zelda game supports it (for some reason Skyward Sword HD does not label it does have 5.1 support). Monolithsoft supports it in XC1 DE and XC3. Intelligent Systems uses it in both Fire Emblem entries.

At the end of this ask a developer for Zelda TOTK Hajime Wakai, the sound director for the game, notes how they upgraded the sound effect system for TOTK specifically. EPD3 has definitely done some additional work when it comes to sound. Hopefully the next system will support some sort of spatial audio format or at the very least 7.1.

Last edited:
nextpit-lenovo-legion-go-test-controller-mechanism-cr3-w782.jpg

A curved back like on the Legion Go controllers can still be usable sideways.

Not perfect but it never will be, these are "in-a-pinch" controllers anyway.

These are the ones I use (DOYOKY), I just tested it, the right one is fine as a sideways controller (and so is the left if it had separated buttons). The added grip is the best I've used in a third-party joy-con.

The buttons and sticks are still vertically aligned but it hasn't really been an issue for me, the stick itself is better than the joy-cons', the overall controller is still comfortable without making the Switch significantly wider.

image_1_ac265605-bc8e-40b6-9d1e-d067e4aaffa2.jpg

Last edited:
A large majority of first party Nintendo games do support 5.1 surround sound. Some 2D or topdown games like Metroid Dread and Animal Crossing support it. All 3D Mario games support it including Super Mario Party of all games. Every Zelda game supports it (for some reason Skyward Sword HD does not label it does have 5.1 support). Monolithsoft supports it in XC1 DE and XC3. Intelligent Systems uses it in both Fire Emblem entries.

At the end of this ask a developer for Zelda TOTK Hajime Wakai, the sound director for the game, notes how they upgraded the sound effect system from for TOTK specifically. EPD3 has definitely done some additional work when it comes to sound. Hopefully the next system will support some sort of spatial audio format or at the very least 7.1.
full 3d audio for xenoblade x definitive edition 🤩

At the end of this ask a developer for Zelda TOTK Hajime Wakai, the sound director for the game, notes how they upgraded the sound effect system from for TOTK specifically. EPD3 has definitely done some additional work when it comes to sound. Hopefully the next system will support some sort of spatial audio format or at the very least 7.1.
I think Atmos make sense because it’s in both Sony and Microsoft support it and DTS:X is a failure and open source replacements are still a way off from huge adoption.

I think Atmos make sense because it’s in both Sony and Microsoft support it and DTS:X is a failure and open source replacements are still a way off from huge adoption.
When I tell you I upgraded my sound setup just to watch Puss in Boots 1 on a 4K Blu-Ray which did not support any surround sound format other than DTS:X I want you to know I wish I was lying

Edit: just some additional thoughts surround sound is a cult please please quit while you're ahead

When I tell you I upgraded my sound setup just to watch Puss in Boots 1 on a 4K Blu-Ray which did not support any surround sound format other than DTS:X I want you to know I wish I was lying
Lol DTS:X is a failure though because Dolby Atmos had better marketing than DTS:X, that’s it.

it's not patented? 😮
Cinema 4D had it for like 20 years, it's not new technology.

from GDC's dev survey

2AZN4LY.png
vUX0kZS.png

I hate that they write "PC" when they mean Windows as they have Linux in it's own category (as it should be).

from GDC's dev survey

2AZN4LY.png
vUX0kZS.png

Interesting numbers. 8% working on Switch 2 for their current project despite 32% expressing interest suggests quite a few developers still don't have dev kits, or publishers aren't prioritizing Switch 2 immediately for current projects. Seems like year 1 might be a bit slow for 3rd parties (like original Switch). Or potentially it's an underestimate cause people are paranoid about breaking NDA to confirm they are working on Switch 2, even for an anonymous survey.

from GDC's dev survey

2AZN4LY.png
vUX0kZS.png

I wonder who respondents mean when they say they are developing for the Nintendo Switch successor. No way people would break NDA like that. They must mean something along the lines of "yeah I'll be sure to port this project to the next system".

Interesting numbers. 8% working on Switch 2 for their current project despite 32% expressing interest suggests quite a few developers still don't have dev kits, or publishers aren't prioritizing Switch 2 immediately for current projects. Seems like year 1 might be a bit slow for 3rd parties (like original Switch). Or potentially it's an underestimate cause people are paranoid about breaking NDA to confirm they are working on Switch 2, even for an anonymous survey.
I think the majority of those who answered this questionnaire were indie developers or from smaller companies, just seeing the great support for mobile and last generation consoles.

I wonder who respondents mean when they say they are developing for the Nintendo Switch successor. No way people would break NDA like that. They must mean something along the lines of "yeah I'll be sure to port this project to the next system".
it's an anonymous poll, so breaking NDA can't be proven. of course, still pretty bold of them to vote as much

A developer cautious about voting 'Switch successor' even on an anonymous poll could have answered 'Switch' or 'Other' and the former would still be true if a title is targeting both Switch and Switch 2.

You care about a survey too much

Probably a lot of indie devs who might be waiting for devkits, I’m almost certainly that Actibliz/Microsoft have devkits and are working on getting cod 2024 on switch 2 right now, same with Ubisoft, EA, Square, Capcom, Sega, Take 2, etc.

They aren’t breaking NDA in this way.

I think the majority of those who answered this questionnaire were indie developers or from smaller companies, just seeing the great support for mobile and last generation consoles.
Mobile is lower than it would be if GDC respondents were a representative sample of the industry at large. But it is Western and console/PC biased

Y'all looking at the Switch Successor %'s and here I am looking at the disinterest devs have in the xbox series x/s compared to the PS5.

from GDC's dev survey

2AZN4LY.png
vUX0kZS.png

despite now knowing 8% of developer is working on Switch sucessor, it still dont make a clear picture, what kinda of developers was in this survey, is big third-parties, indies or both?

from GDC's dev survey

2AZN4LY.png
vUX0kZS.png

It's interesting how the article notes this was released ahead of GDC 2024 that takes place March 18-22.

Maybe the announcement timing of nuSwitch is tied to developers that are making the games. The inner circle already have their dev kits and games ready for launch, but for the vast majority who are as in the dark as the rest of us, GDC would be the place to connect with devs who have already been working with the new system and how to make the most of it, and also might give Nintendo an opportunity to hold a presentation about the feature sets that will come with the new console after a blowout reveal trailer earlier in the month.

despite now knowing 8% of developer is working on Switch sucessor, it still dont make a clear picture, what kinda of developers was in this survey, is big third-parties, indies or both?
Both big AAA and small indie developers attend GDC. If I had to guess, I'd say western and AAA dev representation is disproportionately high since:
  1. GDC is held in San Francisco, California each year.
  2. While there are way more indie devs than AAA devs in the industry, most indie devs probably don't have the time or money to send people to GDC.

Both big AAA and small indie developers attend GDC. If I had to guess, I'd say western and AAA dev representation is disproportionately high since:
  1. GDC is held in San Francisco, California each year.
  2. While there are way more indie devs than AAA devs in the industry, most indie devs probably don't have the time or money to send people to GDC.
Interesting. I agree with "western" possibly being disproportionately higher (lack of Japanese devs, publishers, designers, etc)

But I feel like GDC would be disproportionately higher in employees from smaller/medium-sized studios. not toward AAA.

I was hoping for Atmos tbh.
Atmos support isn't ruled out. The APE is just a mixer, from the point of view of the mixer, 5.1.2 and 7.1 are the same number of audio channels. Both Lucid Motors and NIO offer in-cabin Dolby Atmos, and it's using Orin to do so, with the same APE as Drake.

I doubt it will show up, just because of license costs, but the hardware doesn't rule it out.

Atmos support isn't ruled out. The APE is just a mixer, from the point of view of the mixer, 5.1.2 and 7.1 are the same number of audio channels. Both Lucid Motors and NIO offer in-cabin Dolby Atmos, and it's using Orin to do so, with the same APE as Drake.

I doubt it will show up, just because of license costs, but the hardware doesn't rule it out.
Certain implementations might not need an extra license apparently. And even if it did, they could just have it cost money as dlc, but Atmos for home theater seems to be free to implement in games, but headphones cost money.

Ubisoft probably begging Nintendo to add a front camera just for this

how funny would it be for Nintendo to perfect Kinect when MS couldn't (granted, they did after dumping gaming)

Haha yeah, Ubisoft must be the first in line to push for this. They literally pivoted one of their key franchise titles to make use of Wii's control scheme, but just dance can make a lot of use to it too :p.

Also they'll be ahead of Sony too, with their Eye toy games 😂 .
As I have already stated a few times here, this is exactly what I'm expecting. Also, you can use the camera to correct the IMU drift on the joy-cons. You can also fuse the 3 different tracking (body, IMU, IR)

At this point I think I'm so emotionally invested on this idea that if Nintendo don't do anything to bring motion gameplay (as a whole) to the next level, then I'll be so disappointed that I'll end up waiting the console to build a strong library (of exclusive titles) before I buy it.

Yeah the sensor fusion angle would improve the motion tracking with joycons alone to be superior again compared to the Wii (motion+).

For nintendo it also hopefully makes a lot of sense as technology over the decade has really converged to fit on low power mobile hardware. Even if it's for a handful of titles (e.g. wii sport, ring fit, arms sequel, boxing etc.)

Credit's to this post from Era for this find.

For context, when the same poll was conducted in 2020 prior to the release of the PS5 and Series X/S, the number of devs working on next-gen projects was 10%.

10 per cent of those polled are currently involved in projects heading to the next-gen console cycle. Disaggregated further, we learn that 11 per cent are making games for the PlayStation 5, and 9 per cent for Xbox Series X, with over a third – 34 per cent – working on games that will span both next-gen and current-gen machines. With only 5 per cent of pollers indicating they were working exclusively on next-gen consoles, it seems the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are likely to be around for some time to come.

8% seems fine

Fami > VGC > Fami

It’s worth noting that, since the Nintendo Switch successor is yet to be officially announced, those working on games will be doing so under strict secrecy, so it’s possible that more of the 3,000 surveyed are working on ‘Switch 2’ games but chose not to disclose this, even anonymously.

Fellas. I seek counsel.

I have both a Switch V1 unpatched in not good condition (messed-up joy con, swollen battery and one speaker crackles) and a Switch OLED in good condition.

I want to sell one to start saving for the Super Switch Double but Idk which one to sell.

Wat do

People keep saying 120fps (including 40) (and VRR) is small potatoes in the TV Space, but I don't know, a lot of popular brands have it standard for the past few years. If SX and PS5 have it as an option, I'd really like if the Switch 2 could while docked. (60 is fine for handheld but with the potential for frame gen on ports of less intensive games I guess 120/40 would also be nice to have).

Fellas. I seek counsel.

I have both a Switch V1 unpatched in not good condition (messed-up joy con, swollen battery and one speaker crackles) and a Switch OLED in good condition.

I want to sell one to start saving for the Super Switch Double but Idk which one to sell.

Wat do
Hopefully it’s not too late but you should contact Nintendo support regarding that swollen battery.

At least in my case here (Nintendo of America) they take that pretty seriously because a swollen battery can lead to fire hazard. In fact when I called, the tech said he has to auto-escalate me to supervisor. I was made whole (got a new Switch body).

So try that before you try selling the Switch. I wouldn’t (and I don’t think Nintendo would either) want you to sell that swollen Switch to someone else

Edit: oh missed the unpatched part. Nvm that. Yeah they’d jump at replacing with patched version but at minimum warn the buyer about swollen battery being fire hazard in case that’s not obvious

People keep saying 120fps (including 40) (and VRR) is small potatoes in the TV Space, but I don't know, a lot of popular brands have it standard for the past few years. If SX and PS5 have it as an option, I'd really like if the Switch 2 could while docked. (60 is fine for handheld but with the potential for frame gen on ports of less intensive games I guess 120/40 would also be nice to have).
It's probably too expensive and has been hashed out in earlier pages of discussion, but a 60Hz screen with VRR capabilities for 40fps in handheld mode would be pretty nice.

I do not expect any games to take advantage of 4K120 until Switch 3 at the earliest, but if over the course of this coming generation more effort is put into maximizing performance and making 40fps a standard baseline rather than chasing pixels, maybe then it would make sense to see a 120Hz screen on Switch 3

from GDC's dev survey

2AZN4LY.png
vUX0kZS.png

Again, I'm huffing a lot of hopium here, but the discrepancy between 8% developing and 32% interested is more evidence that it's fully BC. Since they know it'll make their Switch games look better, they're going for the biggest audience.

Second hopium point, 32% interested tells me that whatever info circulating among devs (via devkits or firsthand accounts) has provided assurance that the Succ is a meaningful power upgrade + iteration on the Switch and doesn't have some unappealing gimmick. If the new system was gimped in some way, I don't think the interest numbers would be higher than the Xbox Series.

Hopefully it’s not too late but you should contact Nintendo support regarding that swollen battery.

At least in my case here (Nintendo of America) they take that pretty seriously because a swollen battery can lead to fire hazard. In fact when I called, the tech said he has to auto-escalate me to supervisor. I was made whole (got a new Switch body).

So try that before you try selling the Switch. I wouldn’t (and I don’t think Nintendo would either) want you to sell that swollen Switch to someone else

Edit: oh missed the unpatched part. Nvm that. Yeah they’d jump at replacing with patched version but at minimum warn the buyer about swollen battery being fire hazard in case that’s not obvious
Thanks! Yeah, I'm kinda nervous about it and I'm considering replacing the battery because I'm third worlder and, despite Nintendo having the "best" support here out of the three, it's still almost nonexistent so I can't go that route.

Batteries aren't exactly cheap and considering I want to save for a new system, replacing it is counter intuitive but I also don't want to keep dealing with a swollen battery.

I might end up just replacing the battery and then see if I either sell it or keep it.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom