• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Samsung Galaxy S24 comes in 8GB (128GB/256GB storage) and 12GB (256GB/512GB) flavors and the ultra has a 4900 mAh battery

if there is any barometer for what Nintendo could use, it's the generic android phone, being the Galaxy series

Wii mote + Nunchuck was GOAT. Split Joy-cons though?
They take the promise of wiimote+nunchuk and fulfill them by giving both sides equally advanced motion control, a full button layout, not having them literally tethered together, and not being nearly as bulky. 👍

I don’t think they’ll ditch Joy-Cons entirely, but I do think there’s going to be V2 Joy-Cons with zero externally visible changes (but several under the hood including hall-sensor sticks). I also wouldn’t be surprised if they introduced some new optional “premium Joy-Cons” that are a little more in-line physically with something like Hori’s Split Pad Compact.

I don’t think they’ll ditch Joy-Cons entirely, but I do think there’s going to be V2 Joy-Cons with zero externally visible changes (but several under the hood including hall-sensor sticks). I also wouldn’t be surprised if they introduced some new optional “premium Joy-Cons” that are a little more in-line physically with something like Hori’s Split Pad Compact.

You think the next Joy cons won’t be visually different at all?

Curious what would be the limits of a more modern wireless streaming solution like the Wii U. Nintendo and Broadcom were doing an entirely lag-free 480p experience in 2012. Would 12 years and more modern Wi-Fi solution (6E and 7) be enough for a lag-free 4K HDR experience at 60FPS? Would video compression that wasn't noticeable on the GamePad be visible on a large 4K TV?

Unless something changed in recent years, I always felt like the people involved on the NVC podcast are woefully uninformed regarding basic hardware stuff even with the current switch so it's not surprising to see their speculation or following of leaks being hit and miss too.
I was baffled by how they decided to bill an episode as being about Nintendo leaks that didn't come true and then bungled their explanation of the Grinch leak extremely hard. One guy had the classic misunderstanding that it was literally about the Grinch being added to Smash but then the person who tried to correct him was also completely wrong about why it was called the Grinch leak (something about cross promotion that I didn't really understand). Sure I was there when the Grinch leak came onto the scene but I don't think the particulars are too esoteric to research properly five years later. It makes an incredibly poor impression if you're going to talk about something without doing even the bare minimum to look into it.

Last edited:
Honestly, not really. Maybe some slight ergonomic differences (like an ergonomic bump on the back) but nah, not notably different.

I mean I expect it to look like a standard controller, but I can’t help but expect or at least hope they figure out better comfort. I think they can have a rounded back / give the joycons a bit more thickness. The extra room i assume would also enable them to put better tech in.

I would be interested to see how that anemic Switch 2 simulation with the 4GB 2050 fares with games that combine dynamic resolution scaling and DLSS. I'm assuming the frametime costs wouldn't change (since it will always render to the same output resolution) but it should in theory smooth out the FPS.

Apparently Ratchet and Clank has dynamic DLSS as well as the Spider Man games (ironically games that have 0% of releasing on a Switch 2). I think this is a neat feature for a console to have.

Yeah.

Of course it doesn't mean anything right now because we don't have a large enough sample size of announcements to prove it, but we've still got a few weeks of January left. If more stuff is announced, then we can start to assume we might not get a Nintendo Direct this or next month. Instead we can get excited for something else.
Like this?

I have no particular attachment to the joycons, so no loss if they drop that. They are not particularly good as controllers, or from a button/stick perspective, and I assume the ability to pop them off hampers the overall hardware design, and in being able to provide larger/better sticks, an actual d pad, better triggers, etc.

I'm not sure they have much to offer in keeping them. They probably made sense when Nintendo was designing stuff like 1-2 Switch, which wasn't particularly popular, and the ability for multiple people to play on the small screen, which seemingly no one uses.

Last edited:
Like this?

Technically we got that trailer earlier today but not through a [Nintendo of ____] account, instead via Bamco, but Nintendo is clearly marketing the game so this is just kinda reaffirming it a bit more for me.

This is something that only gets more confirmed as more things are posted, so we'll see if this trend keeps up tomorrow... and the day after... and after the weekend... and Tuesday and so on until we get like a Metroid Prime 4 trailer or someshit.

The solution to addressing the joy-con's weaknesses is to design better, more ergonomic split controllers (like third party controllers and the Legion Go have done) and not to abandon the idea altogether, ship bolted-on controls and make the hybrid aspect of the Switch more clunky.

Making the Switch 2 a non-detachable unit would require shipping an extra controller in the box for docked mode which is a regression. I assume the existing joy-con in the grip have been sufficient as a wireless controller for millions of Switch owners and I assume a larger, more comfortable pair of joy-con (ideally with hall-effect sticks) would be even more sufficient.

Last edited:
I would make use of joycons more if they weren’t so prone to drifting, I have several pairs of joycons and almost all of them have some stick drift to them.
I hope with the switch 2 that they make these joycons have better sticks, because I find it a little bit ridiculous how the sticks on the switch lite or pro controller rarely have stick drift but the main controllers that are used to market the console have stick drift super super bad.

There's already a Switch that is 100x more ergonomic, has no Joycons, and retains compatibility with external controllers (including Joycons)

Nintendo Switch Lite - Blue - Hardware - Nintendo - Nintendo Official Site

Slap all the Switch 2 Features on this puppy, stick on a lil OLED screen, enable docking, and BAM, you got the best handheld of all time.

PS4 is still worse case scenario in handheld mode. Series S is off the table thanks to how much power is flowing through the Series S. the move to 7nm to 5nm doesn't allow for this big a jump
Good. Hopefully that isn't spoken of again.

I hear people dismiss Switch 1 hardware as “7 year old cell phone chips” (understandably so).

I wonder how people will dismiss the hardware/chips toward the end of the Switch 2’s lifespan in 6-7 years?

“Old car tech?”
Out of morbid curiosity, do we have any info on which auto manufacturers intend on using the T234 yet?

Get the drop on the haters, call Switch 2 whatever car uses it as our vehicle to fun lol

Good. Hopefully that isn't spoken of again.

I think the Series S comparisons were somewhat nuanced. It was proposed that Switch 2 games may run at higher resolutions (via DLSS) than Series S games but with worse quality assets. It’s entirely subjective if that’s a better experience. For me it probably would be.

Out of morbid curiosity, do we have any info on which auto manufacturers intend on using the T234 yet?

Get the drop on the haters, call Switch 2 whatever car uses it as our vehicle to fun lol
Did a little snooping around and I can confirm that, if there is a car that's using it, I can't find it. The T234 is definitely available for manufacturing and use in vehicles, it's just that there isn't a high-profile/publicly available car in develop that plans to utilise it. Doesn't help that the majority of ways to search for it are blocked by "THE NINTENDO SWITCH 2 - WITH THE POWER OF THE T239, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE, LIKE SOLVING MY MARRIAGE!!"

Yeah, chip cost is related to the size of the chip and cost of the wafer, so one 10mm² bit of silicon will cost the same as another 10mm² bit of silicon. Yields are going to vary a little bit depending on what exactly is on the chip, but that's only going to have a very small impact on cost, particularly for small dies on high-yield processes, like we're talking about here.

Cache does consume power, as everything on a chip does, but it consumes a lot less power than accessing data from RAM itself, so can be a net saving overall. This is one of the major reasons smartphone GPUs adopted tiled rendering very early on, where each tile is designed to sit in on-chip cache while it's being rendered, because it consumes a lot less power than going back and forth to RAM. And also likely one of the motivations Nvidia started using tile-based rendering as well in their desktop GPUs, starting with Maxwell, although reducing overall bandwidth usage was probably also a significant factor there.

Interesting. So cache actually does have an advantage over extra CUs in terms of the power budget. Maybe they really did go for more, then.

I just hope that at some point we can get 3D stacked cache in mobile devices, to help offset the slower RAM. Unless Wide I/O goes nuts and we get 1TB/s on Switch 3.

I think the Series S comparisons were somewhat nuanced. It was proposed that Switch 2 games may run at higher resolutions (via DLSS) than Series S games but with worse quality assets. It’s entirely subjective if that’s a better experience. For me it probably would be.
The Series S has mediocre raytracing, while Drake should be able to produce decent quality raytracing, potentially on par or better than base PS5.

Persistently policing other people's expectations has been their shtick, the nuance of the comparison doesn't matter. If Switch 2 and Series S are uttered in the same breath it's yet "another instance of people overhyping a Nintendo console pre-release".

Some more UE5 games with RT were announced at Samsung's Galaxy presser (as well as Diablo Immortal). Considering these are from separate companies, I think this is the work of Epic and partners integrating HW lumen for mobile devices as Qualcomm shown last year. We just might see a new lumen performance tier under High this year for low end devices and mobile. Could also be the solution to keeping the same general look for Drake ports without turning off RT entirely

I heard that with DLSS the vram is reduce, is that true?

How popular are the joy-cons as joy-cons? It may have been a popular gimmick at the start of the Switch's life with the likes of 1-2 Switch, and its use benefits in tabletop mode. Do consumers actually use them as intended, or are they primarily slid into the Switch forever, never to be removed again?

Because I could see a scenario where the NG Switch is still a hybrid, and the Joy-cons do slide off, but are not intended to be used as two separate controllers (Meaning we can get an actual D-Pad this time around).

Just curious if using the joy-cons as two separate controllers is that popular of a use case, or mostly unused for folks.
It's not like there aren't plenty of people out there who don't care about the functionality, but the games that use the functionality still have an audience. With Nintendo wanting a smooth transition, I doubt they would have targeted Warioware Move It for a November 2023 release if they knew that the game would be completely unplayable on the successor console releasing in 12 or less months. And if they didn't know that the game would be unplayable...then let's just say that Nintendo has much bigger things to worry about.

I heard that with DLSS the vram is reduce, is that true?
Depends on how you look at it. Iirc the allocated VRAM is larger than it would be for the native input resolution, but lower than it would be if the output resolution was native. So kinda in between the two.

Exactly. Native 2160p uses considerably more RAM than native 1080p, but DLSS 2160p using 1080p as the internal resolution (so, Performance Mode) will use an amount between those two. Overall it's worth the cost, I think, since it allows Switch 2 to be a "4K system" worth less resources. It's the same as how the dogs cost is generally less than the cost of traditional rendering.

Let's be real, Ring Fit sold more than 15M, and Switch Sports more than 10M. Those are games that need separate JoyCons. Plus, we had WarioWare and Everybody's 1-2-Switch very recently, and games that - while supporting other options - are made with the two JoyCons in mind (e.g., Skyward Sword HD, Pikmin 3 DX with the pointer, and dare I say, Splatoon). JoyCons as two separate controllers is also a very popular option for simpler multiplayer games that Nintendo has supported since the launch. It is not very talked about because... it's there, and everybody knows it's there.

JoyCons are part of Switch's identity, and they aren't going anywhere. They will likely be tweaked (and they have at least size-wise if Switch 2 really has an 8 inch screen) and they might change their name, but conceptually, they'll stay.

Joy-Con are such a cornerstone of the Switch's identity, such a key feature, an icon all to themselves, the LITERAL, ACTUAL LOGO.

They aren't THE POSTER CHILD.

They are THE POSTER.

Their use as individual controllers is not minor nor niche, Mario Kart, Mario Party, ARMS, 1-2 Switch, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and many more all either support or require single Joy-Con play.

As I've said before, I think this site and indeed this thread can be a little insular. I would think we are mostly closer to the "hardcore" side of gamers. We have a Pro Controller or equivalent, we leave the Joy-Con attached permanently and barely even think of them.

I want to be extremely clear, this is not the mass market. This is not how the mass market treats Joy-Con. In the eyes of parents this is "the system is a handheld and comes with two controllers, wow!", in the eyes of broke college students it's "I don't need to spend an extra sixty bucks to play with my roomie? Sweet!", in the hands of casual gamers who find themselves more immersed by accurate motion controls than button inputs, they are what enable their sessions of Ring Fit Adventure and Fitness Boxing. Families buy one extra Joy-Con pair and they're sorted for every family game night of Mario Party, or 51 Worldwide Games, or Monopoly.

Joy-Con are a masterful gambit not in design, though their size for their features is impressive, but in sheer market penetration, sheer people pleaser factor. For hardcore gamers they are a full set of controls attached to what was for a time the world's most powerful handheld, for the train commuter they are a full set of controls they don't have to pack for the train ride, throw it in the bag because they're attached to the system and fit in the carrying case (this one is me). They satisfy nearly every segment of the market with an unmatched elegance, and no matter how maligned the hardware, not for one second can I justify even entertaining the idea of a Nintendo hybrid without Joy-Con.

Nintendo's Switch era has shown they are masterful at marketing, for better or worse, they are good at it. I am certain they know all this already. Joy-Con were the result of developer input internally and became a product that defined an entire formfactor. They are a success story with obvious flaws, and if the next generation truly is bigger, there's easy wins to be found in improving them.

Permanently attached controllers are for handhelds. Nintendo Switch and NG Switch are not just handhelds.

There was a thing saying that Nintendo has some sort of plan for better cartridge security, right? I ask because it looks like the Mig Switch does indeed work (although it’s not exactly like an R4).

They probably made sense when Nintendo was designing stuff like 1-2 Switch, which wasn't particularly popular, and the ability for multiple people to play on the small screen, which seemingly no one uses.
This is outright false. I mean, no offence, I'm not trying to be combative, but this isn't true.

1-2 Switch is a multi million seller.
Ring Fit and Switch Sports are over 10 million each.

Tabletop mode isn't some niche thing they use in advertising, I see it all the time. Switch is mainly used in the house, maybe break rooms and public transport. If you're not visiting other people's houses a lot, you probably don't see anyone's usage but your own. Because of how my college social life ended up going, I saw all sorts. Met all sorts. Saw so many Switches.

Siblings playing together on the kitchen table, and not hogging the living room. Tiny bedrooms with enough room for their laptop and a tabletop Switch. People in the cafeteria, or the common room, switches propped on tables, playing Smash. People on the train, Switch laid flat, playing chess (this is me again).

Tabletop mode and Joy-Con are not throwaway, minor, insignificant features. They are core to its mass market appeal.

I definitely use Tabletop mode for some Mario Kart when a TV isnt available, Handheld mode cramps my hands after a while so it can be painful to play handheld for long sessions because of the way the right joycon is setup with its analog sticks (Which makes sense from being able to use it as a sideways controller also)

I'm not sure they have much to offer in keeping them. They probably made sense when Nintendo was designing stuff like 1-2 Switch, which wasn't particularly popular, and the ability for multiple people to play on the small screen, which seemingly no one uses.

Yeah I don’t agree with any of this (other than 1-2 Switch not being popular). Over the life of the Switch I’ve used joycons countless times. I’ve also seen friends only use sideways joycons to play titles like Mario Kart. When Splatoon 3 dropped I played tabletop with detached joycons while my wife played on the TV with a separate console. It’s also especially handy for travel, where I’ve played some multiplayer games in tabletop mode with my partner.

They feel totally essential to what Switch is, and are yet another major differentiator from the Deck / (most) Windows handhelds.

Last edited:
Tabletop with an ~8" screen (if it indeed is true) is gonna be crazy. Mario party with my nephew on my V1 wasn't ideal but playable. Imagine going from 6.2" to 7.91". That will be massive.

Also, I love tabletop so I can properly use motion controls (like playing some single-player Splatoon)

A random but stupid feature would be to let people connect a bunch of Switch 2 systems together via a rail and use them as one big screen, If you've got like a party going on and need an extra TV for switch gaming

Joy-Con are such a cornerstone of the Switch's identity, such a key feature, an icon all to themselves, the LITERAL, ACTUAL LOGO.

They aren't THE POSTER CHILD.

They are THE POSTER.

Their use as individual controllers is not minor nor niche, Mario Kart, Mario Party, ARMS, 1-2 Switch, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and many more all either support or require single Joy-Con play.

As I've said before, I think this site and indeed this thread can be a little insular. I would think we are mostly closer to the "hardcore" side of gamers. We have a Pro Controller or equivalent, we leave the Joy-Con attached permanently and barely even think of them.

I want to be extremely clear, this is not the mass market. This is not how the mass market treats Joy-Con. In the eyes of parents this is "the system is a handheld and comes with two controllers, wow!", in the eyes of broke college students it's "I don't need to spend an extra sixty bucks to play with my roomie? Sweet!", in the hands of casual gamers who find themselves more immersed by accurate motion controls than button inputs, they are what enable their sessions of Ring Fit Adventure and Fitness Boxing. Families buy one extra Joy-Con pair and they're sorted for every family game night of Mario Party, or 51 Worldwide Games, or Monopoly.

Joy-Con are a masterful gambit not in design, though their size for their features is impressive, but in sheer market penetration, sheer people pleaser factor. For hardcore gamers they are a full set of controls attached to what was for a time the world's most powerful handheld, for the train commuter they are a full set of controls they don't have to pack for the train ride, throw it in the bag because they're attached to the system and fit in the carrying case (this one is me). They satisfy nearly every segment of the market with an unmatched elegance, and no matter how maligned the hardware, not for one second can I justify even entertaining the idea of a Nintendo hybrid without Joy-Con.

Nintendo's Switch era has shown they are masterful at marketing, for better or worse, they are good at it. I am certain they know all this already. Joy-Con were the result of developer input internally and became a product that defined an entire formfactor. They are a success story with obvious flaws, and if the next generation truly is bigger, there's easy wins to be found in improving them.

Permanently attached controllers are for handhelds. Nintendo Switch and NG Switch are not just handhelds.
Nintendo can keep the Joy-Con for it next console, but change it to adress Joy-Con drift and add a few winkles on it, like adaptative trigger, better ergonomics(i mean the next controller)

A random but stupid feature would be to let people connect a bunch of Switch 2 systems together via a rail and use them as one big screen, If you've got like a party going on and need an extra TV for switch gaming
This is already a feature for some games, it's just not utilized much.

This is already a feature for some games, it's just not utilized much.
Yeah I think Mario Party uses it, But the Switches dont actually physically connect together, I mean like actually being able to prop it up somewhere also instead of just on a flat surface

the new definition of insanity: checking the Future Nintendo Hardware & Speculation thread over and over and expecting to see something not related to 2025-release worries, (warranted) YouTuber hate, "does switch 2 really need exclusives?" talk, begging NateDrake for info, or any other general hysteria.

consider me insane!

the new definition of insanity: checking the Future Nintendo Hardware & Speculation thread over and over and expecting to see something not related to 2025-release worries, (warranted) YouTuber hate, "does switch 2 really need exclusives?" talk, begging NateDrake for info, or any other general hysteria.

consider me insane!
Nintendo, please give us some breadcrumbs to break up this little cult of insanity on Fami for a bit 🫠
You mean connect via the Joycon rails, or some external rail that holds the units via the top? Sounds useful for an ad-hoc superwide display, though I imagine Nintendo would be skittish because of durability. If that rail breaks, then a bunch of 2witch units likely break with it.

I'm going to try to word this in the most respectful way possible, but it feels like the people here talking about things like tabletop mode and local multiplayer being underused are not aware of Nintendo Switch being used outside their own bubble.

Nintendo Switch is a very mainstream product. I see all kinds of people in public with a Switch. And I have seen many settings/been in situations where someone with a Switch says "hey, wanna play Mario Kart/Mario Party/etc?" and hands over a joycon/sets up tabletop mode. These are ideas that are fundamental to the appeal of the Switch. It's not just a portable console, it's the most convenient and casual way to play multiplayer games on the go or in a public setting. If anything Switch 2 will refine and improve these concepts, not get rid of them.

How popular are the joy-cons as joy-cons? It may have been a popular gimmick at the start of the Switch's life with the likes of 1-2 Switch, and its use benefits in tabletop mode. Do consumers actually use them as intended, or are they primarily slid into the Switch forever, never to be removed again?

Because I could see a scenario where the NG Switch is still a hybrid, and the Joy-cons do slide off, but are not intended to be used as two separate controllers (Meaning we can get an actual D-Pad this time around).

Just curious if using the joy-cons as two separate controllers is that popular of a use case, or mostly unused for folks.
Individual Joy-Cons is the defacto standard for single-console multiplayer. I know 5 people counting myself that own a Switch and use it with people over, and all of us end up resorting to some amount of individual Joy-Cons. Outside of that, I know one person who seems to prefer a single Joy-Con when playing Mario Kart. Traditional controllers are used when able but there's never enough.

But that's the thing. While just about no one really prefers to use them like that, it's economical and convenient. I prefer that option to needing a $60 controller per-person (and IIRC it launched at $70), or a third party controller that doesn't support every feature (rumble matters in stuff like Mario Party!).

If there was new news there probably be another thread about it, as well as it being in here. This thread should have the finer details of said news.

I'm going to try to word this in the most respectful way possible, but it feels like the people here talking about things like tabletop mode and local multiplayer being underused are not aware of Nintendo Switch being used outside their own bubble.

Nintendo Switch is a very mainstream product. I see all kinds of people in public with a Switch. And I have seen many settings/been in situations where someone with a Switch says "hey, wanna play Mario Kart/Mario Party/etc?" and hands over a joycon/sets up tabletop mode. These are ideas that are fundamental to the appeal of the Switch. It's not just a portable console, it's the most convenient and casual way to play multiplayer games on the go or in a public setting. If anything Switch 2 will refine and improve these concepts, not get rid of them.
I've literally seen people play Switch in tabletop mode in the school library multiple times. It's definitely a thing

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom