• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

There's no shot that these are getting updates before the end of the year - those are prime Nintendo Direct material. Besides a potential Switch 2 reveal and NSO updates, we aren't going to be getting much news in the next couple of months. It's going to feel awfully quiet if we don't hear anything about the NG Switch before 2024.
nintendo might have something at the game awards you never know

For the sake of that discussion, i would like to point out that there might be another Indie Showcase this year, and you can expect Nintendo having at least some kind of announcement at TGAs, simply because one of their games is likely a frontrunner for GOTY there.

But neither won't have anything hardware at all.

There's no shot that these are getting updates before the end of the year - those are prime Nintendo Direct material. Besides a potential Switch 2 reveal and NSO updates, we aren't going to be getting much news in the next couple of months. It's going to feel awfully quiet if we don't hear anything about the NG Switch before 2024.
Yep, and a lot of the announcements feel like "Let's get this out of the way" material.
It feels very weird to get so many things announced so close together. Almost to the point that Nintendo might be making space for another announcement, wow what an original take on the Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation Discussion thread, wow.
You guys are crazy....

Actually crazy. Not that I complain tho.
Crazy? I was-

No, best not do that.

Why do people never post their other tweets from that day, like the one that reveals Tears of The Kingdom DLC will be announced at TGS 2024? Isn't that exciting?

Okay.. kinda feels like a jab towards me. I was only posting the tweets from the article directly onto here. I didn't mean any harm. You don't have to act like this, you know.

me when the switchquel is larger and or smaller than the existing switch

Afx2QWa.jpg

For the sake of that discussion, i would like to point out that there might be another Indie Showcase this year, and you can expect Nintendo having at least some kind of announcement at TGAs, simply because one of their games is likely a frontrunner for GOTY there.

Small counter to the TGA comment. I can't remember a time when Nintendo made an announcement at TGA that didn't have some second-party involvement. The four announcements since the Switch era started that come to mind are Joker and Sephiroth in 2018 and 2020 (both had third party involvement) and Bayonetta 3 and Cereza and the Lost Demon in 2017 and 2022 (second-party games made under Platinum games). I don't know a time when Nintendo had an announcement from a first party studio at TGA. It just hasn't happened afaik.

Small counter to the TGA comment. I can't remember a time when Nintendo made an announcement at TGA that didn't have some second-party involvement. The four announcements since the Switch era started that come to mind are Joker and Sephiroth in 2018 and 2020 (both had third party involvement) and Bayonetta 3 and Cereza and the Lost Demon in 2017 and 2022 (second-party games made under Platinum games). I don't know a time when Nintendo had an announcement from a first party studio at TGA. It just hasn't happened afaik.
Didn't they announce the FE: Engage expansion pass last year at TGA? Hardly a major announcement, but it's technically something.

Does The Champions' Ballad count too? It was first shown off and shadowdropped at TGA 2017

nintendo might have something at the game awards you never know

Both fair points. I suppose third party news and the Game Awards could be enough to fill out the year for updates, even without a hardware announcement. Looking at the past few years, there has usually been an Indie World in November or December. If we get through next couple of weeks without an announcement, then I'm not sure we'll get anything this calendar year as far as hardware updates go.

Didn't they announce the FE: Engage expansion pass last year at TGA? Hardly a major announcement, but it's technically something.

Does The Champions' Ballad count too? It was first shown off and shadowdropped at TGA 2017
Okay, fair enough on both accounts. My mistake.
Still, they were both DLC announcements, with BotW's DLC already known to exist while FE:Engages was expected because Three Houses also had DLC. Not exactly the biggest reveals on earth. I'm not expecting much, but good points nonetheless.

not jabbing, just want to point out the stuff coming out of that account is super sketchy.
And that gives you the right to act like that on me? :\

I find it weird how Nintendo got all their announcements out of the way already

It's going to be interesting!
Yeah, kinda. Splatoon 3 Chill season should be around the week of Mario RPG release. But yeah, MKBCP, Mario RPG Overview Trailer, now Pokemon. :unsure:

Switch is "old" enough to pull such shenanigans like selling without a dock or so.

But the new system needs (and will) come with everything in the box. The shitstorm otherwise would be epic and well deserved.

Technically ... IS is a third party developer. ;D

They just happen to have everything they work on at least co-owned by Nintendo. ^^

They just mentioned pokemon dlc date being December 14th, dunno if that's news or not. But there's now a month worth of gap between SMRPG and dlc.

I did some accumulating and here's what lacks release dates right now:
  • TTYD Remake (scheduled 2024)
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 Remake (Q2/Q3)
  • Splatoon 3 DLC Wave 2 (Spring 2024 afaik)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (When the Sun Explodes)

... and that's it. Everything else got release dates. We're literally waiting on any other information to appear at this point.
Couple those with rumored games like the FE4 remake & the other two Prime games and you could have a decent February Direct (plus some projects that haven’t been rumored).

Byleth in Smash may have been originally a TGA reveal given how internal files & rumors point to December 2019 being the original plan for them.

Off topic but... when researching top game of the year for a "this year, this thread page number har har" post... I realized for the first time, they were pumping out Tony Hawk games EVERY YEAR from 1999 to 2009. That is insane to me. They were milking that franchise like crazy. Can you imagine today?

Byleth in Smash may have been originally a TGA reveal given how internal files & rumors point to December 2019 being the original plan for them.
One big ol' "hmm" to that information, but I want to quickly link back to these couple of points from earlier:
Still, they were both DLC announcements, with BotW's DLC already known to exist while FE:Engages was expected because Three Houses also had DLC. Not exactly the biggest reveals on earth. I'm not expecting much, but good points nonetheless.
Seems like DLC is the big thing that Nintendo shows at TGA outside of Platinum Games' appearance with Bayonetta. And even then, all of these games (BotW excluded) had several third or second parties involved with development. Very weird, but I keep my stance that we likely aren't seeing much from TGA this year outside of a normal "Nintendo Switch has Games" trailer.

what we will get at the investor meeting

Investor : "So does Nintendo have any plans of what they are doing with the successor to the switch?"
Furukawa: smirks " We will have more information to share on that at a later date."

Meeting ends

At that is all you will get for the rest of 2023

Switch is "old" enough to pull such shenanigans like selling without a dock or so.

But the new system needs (and will) come with everything in the box. The shitstorm otherwise would be epic and well deserved.

Technically ... IS is a third party developer. ;D

They just happen to have everything they work on at least co-owned by Nintendo. ^^
the article is dated 24 May 2018

Furukawa: smirks " We will have more information to share on that at a later date."
if Furukawa says something similar, it would be huge news. While they have acknowledged a successor is in the works and talked about some of their thinking around it (wanting a smooth transition etc.) that quoted bit above or something similar, if uttered at an investor meeting, i think would be the first time they have actually acknowledged the device is ready to be announced soon.

Nintendo Switch Future Unit Set Superplaydio

Off topic but... when researching top game of the year for a "this year, this thread page number har har" post... I realized for the first time, they were pumping out Tony Hawk games EVERY YEAR from 1999 to 2009. That is insane to me. They were milking that franchise like crazy. Can you imagine today?
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2 Remake makes me want Tony Hawk's Underground 1+2 remake, with a proper map designer.

Nintendo Switch Stand Alone Complex

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2 Remake makes me want Tony Hawk's Underground 1+2 remake, with a proper map designer.
(Emily Haines voice)

I want it all
I want it all
I want it all
I want it all

what we will get at the investor meeting

Investor : "So does Nintendo have any plans of what they are doing with the successor to the switch?"

Meeting ends

At that is all you will get for the rest of 2023
I think it’ll be along the lines of this…

“We intend to release the successor to the Nintendo Switch within the upcoming fiscal year. More details will be announced at a later date.”

bold of me to assume there are The Shade enjoyers in the Hardware thread

I have been skimming since probably around March/April, I just wanted to say hello especially since it’s almost in page 2000 and 2000 is a cool number etc.

Excited for the new console though but like idk what to believe anymore… hope this round of hype is real :oops:

images

Also now that people bring it up, s/o to the best album of 2000 (and the new millennium maybe…)

Since_i_left_you.jpg

“Since I left You” was an OUTSTANDING album. So dreamy, but also quirky, hilarious in places, and other tracks not out of place in a club set. Title track is great, “A Different Feeling”, “Live At Dominoes”, and “2 Hearts In 3/4 Time” are among my personal favourites. The latter also inspired the title of the first poetry piece I wrote.

I think it’ll be along the lines of this…

“We intend to release the successor to the Nintendo Switch within the upcoming fiscal year. More details will be announced at a later date.”
that’s optimistic

“Hello. We intend to continue to operate as though we, Nintendo, are a company, that may, at times, profit. With this in mind, please look forward to the upcoming fiscal and calendar years, featuring Nintendo-affiliated announcements, including those pertaining to the Nintendo Switch family of systems, including the Nintendo Switch, the Nintendo Switch Lite, the Nintendo Switch OLED Model, and the Nintendo Switch 2nd Unit Set.”

They also announced Cranky Kong for DK Tropical Freeze in 2013, showed gameplay of Breath of the Wild in 2014 and a new trailer in 2016. So there has been some important first-party news but all related to BotW (Cranky Kong was just whatever). Overall, it's true that Nintendo doesn't make big announcements in TGA for its first-party titles, and even less in recent years.

They also announced Cranky Kong for DK Tropical Freeze in 2013, showed gameplay of Breath of the Wild in 2014 and a new trailer in 2016. So there has been some important first-party news but all related to BotW (Cranky Kong was just whatever). Overall, it's true that Nintendo doesn't make big announcements in TGA for its first-party titles, and even less in recent years.
I decided to only mention post-2017 because of the leadership changes in Nintendo and how they'd effect how Nintendo markets at TGAs, but thanks for the additional slab of background info. Still not a huge presence and definitely not "Let's show off a new game" levels of trailer.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom