• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since movie trailers are now all posted online ahead of theatrical runs and there's no way to really not know what the trailer you're clicking on is for, Directs have become sort of the last bastion of that feeling of "ooooh, what trailer is coming next?" while watching something. It's why I'm not a fan of twitter drops, as even though it gets the marketing and the hype across they still lack that bit of magic of waitching a trailer without even knowing what it's for.

One of the best examples I think was the Splatoon/Smash fakeout. When the reflection in the inkling's eye focused into the logo I lost my shit, and I'm not even a Smash fan. I love that feeling.

So I vote for surprise.

yes I recognize the irony of saying that while in a thread of Direct speculation and insiders but still, hearing what might be coming down the pipeline is more a peek into the industry for me than it is a peek into how a Direct is gonna go. And with the shuffling and segmenting that can take place we still never really know all that's coming in any Direct, so the surprise is still there while watching even if we know "there's a DK in the works, there's an FE in the works, there's Prime in the works," etc.
I mean if Disney/Marvel streamed their live announcement panels at D23/Comic Con then they would absolutely be able to have something like that but they like to have that stuff at in person, non streamed events so they can show stuff before marketing starts (sometimes)

I never played the original MGS and genuinely enjoyed Twin Snakes. Game gets too much shit

Played both, and I agree with Twin Snakes being a pretty great game. Never understood the arguments against it either. One of the best early full remakes IMO.

As someone who’s never played Twin Snakes but would rank all of MGS1-4 in my top 20 and probably 5 in my top 30, I’d love a chance to play it despite how maligned it seems sometimes

Twin Snakes had Nintendo involvement, I'm not sure if Nintendo would be ok with a multiplat remaster. I mean, Sony involvement in Symphony of the Night blocks it from appear on other platforms.

Twin Snakes had Nintendo involvement, I'm not sure if Nintendo would be ok with a multiplat remaster. I mean, Sony involvement in Symphony of the Night blocks it from appear on other platforms.

Things change. We saw Wonderful 101, which I assume had Nintendo involvement (beyond just publishing), and they still came to an agreement with Platinum around it. If Konami is keen enough anything can probably happen

Symphony Of The Night is exclusive on console due to Konami using the PSP version of the game (it uses PS4's PSP emulator and the Dracula X Chronicles iso, although the 3D remake of Rondo, titular Dracula X Chronicles, is nowhere to be seen).

Symphony Of The Night is on Xbox as an Xbox Live Arcade game and was released on mobile devices not that long ago too.

I suppose Twin Snakes couldn't ruin my impression of the series any more than MGS V did. V taught me how much I value tone in video games. It's easily one of the best games of all time from a mechanical perspective. But it in no way shape or form feels like a MGS game. At least Twin Snakes seems to retain some of what makes the series so amazing.

Symphony Of The Night is exclusive on console due to Konami using the PSP version of the game (it uses PS4's PSP emulator and the Dracula X Chronicles iso, although the 3D remake of Rondo, titular Dracula X Chronicles, is nowhere to be seen).

Symphony Of The Night is on Xbox as an Xbox Live Arcade game and was released on mobile devices not that long ago too.
im still waiting for that game to come to Switch....how do you release a castlevania collection and miss this....

3 days left :cool:

4f4df07a09ba7085672e75c8dea5002c3650088b.gif

I don't believe we will see anything subtsantial from the new BotW game next week.

Maybe a 5 second teaser and Aonuma telling us that "is progresseing as expected" , but then quickly transitioning to the WiiU HD remaster ports.

I don't believe we will see anything subtsantial from the new BotW game next week.

Maybe a 5 second teaser and Aonuma telling us that "is progresseing as expected" , but then quickly transitioning to the WiiU HD remaster ports.
I'm not so sure about that one, Jeff (could be speculation, but he seems so sure) is really adamant on us finally getting a title along with a probably pretty substantial trailer.

Last edited:
Since the release of BotW, Zelda has changed. Zelda games were always the highlight of any event Nintendo did, but BotW is the first game in decades that has been widely brought to the "best game of all time" discussion.

Nintendo knows the expectations are high, and that having a big showcase of the game will steal the attention from any other reveal.

The best course of action for them would be not featuring it next week, build bype around other games, and do a BotW sequel presentation later this year, when all the heavy hitters have been released.

The game will sell a ton of switches and game copies regardless of it is featured next week or not.

BotW2 is going to be so big that it deserves its own Direct imo. I don't want them to cram the game's blowout into a general Direct.
Who said anything about a blowout? When is a full reveal trailer a blowout? It’s like the trailer that says “this is it, it’s coming relatively soon and we need to start talking about it. Here’s your first real trailer and you’ll get something BotW 2 big beginning of 2023”.

I expect a trailer (not a teaser.) of BotW2 with the title drop + the announce of a BotW2 showcase in the future
Or, at least, Aonuma will appear to announce the showcase.

Doing a General Direct NOW and not showing anything about BotW2 would be the most stupid thing that Nintendo could do

So Link's arm surely is a big part of the game right? You think the title will involve/reference that somehow?
It may, Zelda titles are often tied to the story of the games and the main gameplay mechanic (that as per Nintendo's way of doing games, are also interconnected) so the chances are high.

BotW2 is going to be so big that it deserves its own Direct imo. I don't want them to cram the game's blowout into a general Direct.
Yeah, but if they do that it's gonna be a month before release. That's not for a while. I think another trailer + title reveal is a reasonable expectation. If the title spoiler is some dramatically new gameplay/world mechanic, now's the time to showcase it

So Link's arm surely is a big part of the game right? You think the title will involve/reference that somehow?
If the Arm does something that is so different that it would be considered a spoiler to say the title early (given we've seen the arm already since 2019), yes. But I'm not so sure it will

Since the release of BotW, Zelda has changed. Zelda games were always the highlight of any event Nintendo did, but BotW is the first game in decades that has been widely brought to the "best game of all time" discussion.

Nintendo knows the expectations are high, and that having a big showcase of the game will steal the attention from any other reveal.

The best course of action for them would be not featuring it next week, build bype around other games, and do a BotW sequel presentation later this year, when all the heavy hitters have been released.

The game will sell a ton of switches and game copies regardless of it is featured next week or not.
The Sequel will steal all the oxygen in the room whether or not it is shown.

The only usual criticism against Twin Snakes I'll accept is the soundtrack, though that is not to say the one for Twin Snakes is bad.

Over the top cutscenes - My friend, you're playing MGS, being over the top is part of the package. (Maybe going Twin Snakes to MGS2 rather than going from the PSX original to MGS2 is why I didn't find MGS2 such an offence as some people found it to be.)

Ocelot fight being easier - If you really want to fight him the old way you can. The game doesn't force you to use the new first person camera. And while you're being annoyed I'll enjoy this QoL improvement thank you very much.

Voice acting - I've personally never got this one. The voice acting is find in Twin Snakes. Plus American born Mei Ling sounds like someone born in America too.

And a 55 minute video? No thank you. Just present the argument in some bullet points like everyone else. If I can play a MGS cutscene within the time it takes you to make your point you need to go back to the cutting room.

Twin Snakes is what got me into the MGS series so I do feel nostalgic for it. But in the end it's still MGS and it helped get more people into the series. Surely that's a good thing.

The Sequel will steal all the oxygen in the room whether or not it is shown.
Same argument can be applied in reverse, the fact BotW2 stuff is shown will likely draw more eyes to the presentation that had it, lifting the boats of other titles.

I wouldn’t blame Nintendo if they said something like “Stay tuned for Nintendo’s upcoming direct on September 13th including the Sequel to the Legend of Zelda BotW”

Get all they hype and people to watch your presentation to see BotW 2. They will also see other games in the presentation.

I don't know that BotW2 necessarily sucks up all the attention. Look at E3 2019: It was certainly the most-talked about announcement, but plenty of other games in the same Direct shined as well (Smash characters, Animal Crossing, etc). Same for E3 2021 (Metroid Dread, Advance Wars, hell even WarioWare).

Tempering my expectations for next week's Direct.

Out of all the rumors, the new Fire Emblem has the strongest odds of appearing in this Direct. Because I honestly can't see a scenario where Fire Emblem doesn't release early next year. The game is finished and ready to go. I'll be a little baffled if it doesn't appear in the Direct.

A word of caution. I like Jeff Grubb as both a person and as a reporter. I think he's super cool. But judging by his tweet below, it doesn't seem like he's 100% confident about the Direct being a 'Zelda blowout'. I could be wrong, but that's how I'm interpreting his tweets? So, I think it would be wise for people to manage their expectations going into this Direct. I don't think any insiders actually know the full contents of this Direct.

Nintendo: “no news on breath of the Wild 2 will be shared on the upcoming direct. Stay tune for a later day”

Imagine.
I feel like if that scenario happens Nintendo would be announcing another new Zelda game. Not TP/WW remasters for Switch, but something substantial like the next multiplayer Zelda or a remake of the Oracle games. They either

1) End with botw2
2) Mention BotW2 will be shown later, here's another new Zelda to tide you over
3) Don't mention BotW2 at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom