• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pikmin 4, Prime 4 and 3D Mario same year cant happen it would be too good…
#Believe

Nah, but seriously, those were just hypotheticals I was listing, I didn't mean to say I think ALL of them would come out next year haha. Maybe two of them? I could see the former two being 2023 games, at least. 3d Mario kinda seems like something Nintendo wants to save for Switch 2 tbh, like Mario Kart 9 (10?).

Please no on Fire Emblem and BOTW 2 back to back months. If that happens then....gah I don't know what I'd do. I might have to put BOTW 2 on the back log if they do that. I'd hope Nintendo is smarter than to do that.

Glad I'm not the only person looking forward to HD-2D Chrono Trigger
I’m increasingly convinced that’s happening and it would be a faster project than LAL because the CT art style is already or very close to the 1x2 tile proportions used by the HD-2D games. LAL had to rebuild all the field environments which were originally designed with 1x1 tile field sprites (whereas the battle sprites are 1x2) to accommodate the taller field sprites to match the 1994/1995 era Squaresoft “house style” that was used until they moved to PS1.

There would probably be additional changes to account for the perspective change but I’m pretty sure they could get something out to coincide with the 30th anniversary in 2025 or earlier.

I remember March of 03! I was prepping for graduation.
I would be excited for HD-2D Chrono Trigger...but my problem with using that engine to remake a bunch of games is that it seems to take quite a bit of time and the games are then sold at full price. Yes, they look great, but to me the SNES style graphics are pretty timeless. I'd rather be able to buy classic games like FF 1-6, Chrono Trigger, DQ 1-6, etc. on the eShop for say $10-20 a piece and just get straight ports with the original graphics.

to coincide with the 30th anniversary in 2025
ugh
or earlier.
that's more like it

I would be excited for HD-2D Chrono Trigger...but my problem with using that engine to remake a bunch of games is that it seems to take quite a bit of time and the games are then sold at full price. Yes, they look great, but to me the SNES style graphics are pretty timeless. I'd rather be able to buy classic games like FF 1-6, Chrono Trigger, DQ 1-6, etc. on the eShop for say $10-20 a piece and just get straight ports with the original graphics.
I'd honestly prefer if they did both. Give me the original SNES version either on NSO or cheap on the eShop, plus HD-2D retail release. I don't want the original lost to history, but I'd also love a new perspective on the game.

The thing is that while I'd certainly love an HD2D Chrono Trigger, I don't think it really needs it? It's one of the prettiest games on SNES already, same with FF6. I think games like FF4 or FF5, or more obscure games that could really use a boost like LaL, would benefit a lot more.

Team Asano games take anywhere from 3-4 years to make and they are really expensive to make according to Asano and other memebers of the game. They are AA JRPGs just people consider them budget due to being 2D

Three years and that was in the short end of Asano games

When did development of the remake start?

Tokita:
At the beginning of 2019, and it took us three years.
Ok. Pretty sure Tokita's next project as producer then is HD-2D Chrono Trigger 30th Anniversary Edition :D

(I'd also be happy with Parasite Eve along the way to round out the trilogy)

Are we expecting anything next week? At his point it's safe to assume Pokemon news will be first week of August.

Did somebody call for weeb energy?

0ad731738844755ef3cf88ebed8337e7.gif

Go play a real game you nerds. Y'know, something with guns and grunting, featuring probably a stoic white dude with a close-cropped haircut, set against a color scheme of browns, beige and greys. Put down the body pillow and get your shit together. Dorks.

Y'know, something with guns and grunting, featuring probably a stoic white dude with a close-cropped haircut, set against a color scheme of browns, beige and greys.
Don't forget the ʙɪɢ ᴍᴜsᴄᴋʟᴇs and the bump-mapped veins.

Go play a real game you nerds. Y'know, something with guns and splatting, featuring probably a stoic white squid with a floppy, slimy haircut, set against a color scheme of pinks, greens and blues. Put down the body pillow and get your shit together. Dorks.

Exactly!

Staff Post: Community Survey
Hi folks, we'd like to survey the community a little to get a sense of what people want for this thread, and for the Speculation threads more broadly.

At this point, it seems fairly unlikely that there will be any event in July. This was always a distinct possibility, and at the time this thread was made the contingency plan was to simply convert this thread to the Fall Direct Speculation thread at the start of August.

The rationale behind this plan:
  • this way will stick closest to the original seasonal schedule of these threads (with the Fall one just starting, uh, very early)
  • people enjoy these threads, even if there isn't much to speculate about

Some potential counterpoints to this plan:
  • people are starting to feel a little fatigue from the constant speculation
  • the line between this thread and the General thread is increasingly unclear
  • this thread tends to be more cliquey and can be off-putting to newcomers

So, with this in mind, here are a few proposals for how to handle this thread (and Speculation threads in general) moving forward:
1. Continue with the current plan as outlined above
2. Leave this thread open, and allow these threads to exist more permanently with less formally defined rules
3. Close this thread, and open a new one mid-August
4. Close this thread, and retire these threads for a little while

We are of course open to any and all alternative suggestions. Thanks!

-Aurc, Donnie, hologram, mazi

Hi folks, we'd like to survey the community a little to get a sense of what people want for this thread, and for the Speculation threads more broadly.

At this point, it seems fairly unlikely that there will be any event in July. This was always a distinct possibility, and at the time this thread was made the contingency plan was to simply convert this thread to the Fall Direct Speculation thread at the start of August.

• this way will stick closest to the original seasonal schedule of these threads (with the Fall one just starting, uh, very early)

So, with this in mind, here are a few proposals for how to handle this thread (and Speculation threads in general) moving forward:
2. Leave this thread open, and allow these threads to exist more permanently with less formally defined rules

I agree with option 1

I think a short break could be in order, but a new thread early August would be nice.

Also, redirecting people to the general thread when things get off topic might be a good idea.

I've said this before, but I'm in support of keeping this thread open, or starting something very similar to it. The way I see it, there's a pretty distinct difference between the high tempo antics of this thread and the low key vibe of the general thread. This thread also is more news based, while the general thread allows more discussion of the games themselves. They both have a place and focus separate enough from each other to warrant their separated existence. Plus, if people are feeling speculation fatigue, then they should just put this thread on ignore for a while. Getting rid of it would only flood the general thread, which wouldn't really solve the problem.

So, for the most part, I'm in agreement with option 1. The cliqueyness of this thread is definitely an issue that we should try to address in some way though, although I'm not entirely sure how we would go about that.

I would continue with this thread honestly, we started here expecting one General Direct and we will finish here when we get one. July is almost over, the speculation of next Direct will already start in August so for me it makes sense to keep this thread going.

I'm somewhere between 1 and 3, with my indecisiveness only coming from the somewhat short timeframe between now and mid-August. I could see 3 being a merciful path if @Raccoon needs a breather (but then I could see 1 being a triumphant path, where @Raccoon gets his Direct eventually no matter what, so uh.. yeah, still indecisive)

I'd be concerned about 2 (for fear it would sorta kill my buddy, the General thread) and 4 (for fear General would get nuts when speculation stuff comes up).

Team Asano games take anywhere from 3-4 years to make and they are really expensive to make according to Asano and other memebers of the game. They are AA JRPGs just people consider them budget due to being 2D
Just looking at them should clue people in that just because they are 2D they are more on the expensive side.

I'd consider closing it on Monday to give people a short break, and to maybe reorient general discussion in the general thread, but reopen on the 1st of August. There's a not inconsiderable chance that August will see several presentations or trailer drops; Splatoon 3 should get a dedicated Direct, Indie World usually occurs in August, and Pokemon might get a news drop. Those would be waysigns on the road to a September Direct, I think.

I think a lot people are doing this for like a first time. If you are doing this since 2019 or so, or even 2018 then you are immortal and speculation is something that you can't describe to anyone.

Sometimes I think I was put on this forum to balance out all of this overflowing weeb energy
We are comrades in the fight against all things anime and weeb-y. Onwards, to victory!

I’d be in favor of giving this thread a break, but then this thread is fun in its craziness. It’s exactly like the old OTs back on Era and I kinda like that. So I’ve convinced myself that the thread should stay open!

I say option 1.

I appreciate these threads even though I don’t often participate. It seems a lot of people who are important to this community love them, and what better reason is there to have them? They can feel a little cliquey but it’s not off putting to me personally, it’s fine.

From my perspective there are two avenues of discussion to be accommodated: first, the various announcements that will presumably be shared via Twitter through to September; and second, whatever event occupies the Tokyo Game Show "slot." Note that this isn't necessarily a general Direct; I think that the new form of Partner Showcase would fill that role quite nicely.

Regardless of what form the September event takes, I personally feel quite strongly that they are two separate discussions. To change this thread now ends the former conversation and starts the latter, and frankly I don't entirely agree with either effect. We are still anticipating and actively waiting for Mario Kart DLC, Pokémon, and Splatoon 3 announcements, and I for one expect them to come via Twitter.

Now, if we were to close this thread entirely on the basis of Twitter speculation being the absolute worst, I wouldn't be opposed to that. However, I think that the timing I envisioned for the Direct threads on Famiboards still holds some value: fostering speculation for a September Direct now would be a huge mistake. Unless the staff knows something I don't (hint hint, staff, DM me your clout info) there is nothing to say about September yet at all. I know that Tweets are boring, but they're what we've got. I feel that if people want to hype them they ought to be allowed to do so, rather than directed to a topic with absolutely zero information yet.

Like seriously, what does September Direct speculation even look like right now? There's no info, there won't be any info any time soon, and the entire debate would just be the three major camps (nothing, Partner, general) fighting with nothing to back it up.

...actually that sounds kind of fun.

Anyway, everything above is just my two cents. I would be happy to bend to the desire of the community as gracefully as my temperament allows. However, I do think that renaming this thread would be a mistake. This was a very special thread that took place during an absolutely hilarious time, and I'd rather it be closed as a time capsule than have its purpose reworked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom