• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon

Fox Brigade
Pronouns
He/Him
VFBf0CH.jpg

After weeks of neglect, I bring to you all a refresh to this unusual thread. What started as something of a joke thread made in an effort to meme a Direct and the Switch Pro into existence has become the home of general Nintendo news discussion and hype. Looking forward, it will now become the center for September Direct hype. May God have mercy on our souls.

What? Did you expect some grand diatribe? What else is there to say?

Gp237Kl.jpg

(Updated August 25)

Q: Will there be a Direct in August?
A: Almost certainly not!

Q: Will there be an Indie World in August?
A: Probably not! There's still time left technically, but I think if it were happening it would've already happened.

Q: Will there be a Direct in September?
A: Probably! Generally Nintendo has had some sort of presentation one to two weeks before the Tokyo Game Show, an exposition that takes place every September, this year between Thursday, September 15 and Sunday, September 18. Notably, we have pretty reliable reason to believe that there will be something from Nintendo this September.

Q: Could that "something" be a Partner Showcase?
A: That's what happened last time! At this point it would be a little surprising, but Nintendo is nothing if not surprising.

Q: Is there going to be new hardware this year?
A: Almost certainly not. While it technically isn't too late for an early November launch, it just seems too far removed from the current state of affairs. With the Splatoon 3 special edition OLED model coming later this month, it feels like the moment to even entertain hardware jokingly has passed.

Q: Okay, what about next year?
A: The community is divided. At this point, my personal guess is no, but this is the result of my attempts to no longer even think about rumors.

Q: Wait, you're the Direct thread OP and you don't care about rumors?
A: That's the goal!

Q: Raccoon, that's wack. You're wack.
A: That is not a question and I refuse to acknowledge it.

Q: You just did.
A: Look, we're not doing this again. I'm trying to make this a more serious OP for the benefit of people who struggle to keep up with the vibes of community speculation.

Q: Okay, I'm sorry.
A: Thank you. Wait, no. Ask a real question, please.

Q: If I asked a real question now, wouldn't the people who stopped reading miss valuable information?
A: Point well taken. I'll put any additions before all this.

NcwDAHq.jpg

SOURCES: Nikkei article offhandedly said there wasn't new hardware because outside of the gamer bubble everybody knows there's no hardware

Splatoon version 1.3 patch will be available on 9/9; update will take up 6 gigabytes and 60 dollars

JkWxoJ8.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, ladies and gentlemen, thank you so much for visiting with us this evening. Now I've traveled across half our forum to be here and to see about this thread. Now I daresay some of you might have heard some of the more extravagant rumors about what my plans are, so I just thought you'd like to hear it from me. This is the face -- it's no great mystery.

I'm a Switch Pro man, ladies and gentlemen. I have numerous concerns spread across the internet. I have many rumor wells flowing at many thousand posts per days. I like to think of myself as a Switch Pro man. And as a Switch Pro man I hope that you'll forgive just good old-fashioned plain posting. Now this work that we do is very much a family enterprise. I work side by side with my wonderful father @Skittzo. I think one or two of you might have met him already. I encourage my posters to bring their families as well. Of course it makes for an ever so much more rewarding life for them. Family means children; children means shitty meme game port begging. So wherever we set up camp, shitty meme game port begging is a necessity, and we're just so happy to take care of that. So let's build a wonderful Friday Night Funkin' thread on Famiboards. These children are the future that we strive for and so they should have the very best of shitty meme games.

Now something else, and please don't be insulted if I speak about this: copium. Let's talk about copium. Now to my mind, it's an abomination to consider that any person, adult or child, on this magnificent forum of ours should have to look upon a tank of copium as a luxury. We're going to dig rumor wells here. Rumor wells means speculation; speculation means confirmation. We're going to raise hopes here where before it just simply was impossible. You're going to have more hope than you know what to do with. Copium will be coming right out of your ears, ma'am.

New rumors, speculation, hopium, copium; these are just a few of the things we can offer you, and I assure you ladies and gentlemen, that if we do find rumors here, and I think there's a very good chance that we will, this community of yours will not only survive, it will flourish.

I'd be happy to answer any questions that you might have. Yes, @eli?

eli said:
Will these new rumors lead to what actually happens this year instead of yet another summer of disappointment and doomposting?

Well, that will be the first place that they lead. Thank you, eli. Anyone else?

Well, if anything comes up, I'm pretty easy to find and you just come and @ me. Thank you so much for your time. Good night.

LF6onXu.jpg

Welcome to this special speculation thread, available for a limited time only. As a recap, last month's saga ended quite humorously with the first Partner Showcase since 2020. However, this stunning conclusion has only left us waiting with bated breath for the main event that may or may not actually be coming. What will it look like? What form will it take? I have a few ideas in mind, but as of the time of publication nothing is concrete.

We are truly in a new era, and I am happy to be present for it. As we enter these uncharted waters, it may be best to review some common questions and practices.

QTdoFqH.png

Q: So do you guys seriously think x is happening?
A: It depends on what you mean by seriously. While we are at the forefront of entertaining insider hints and teases, I find it best not to take anything for granted.

Q: So I can @ these people and ask them to clarify things, right?
A: That depends on if you want to be cringe.

Q: Asking questions is cringe?
A: In this context, yes. Do not @ people asking for info, as it is cringe.

Q: What are these "insiders" good for, anyway?
A: They share information as they deem appropriate. All we can do is listen, react, and speculate.

Q: Raccoon, what if I think you're cringe?
A: Kill not the part of you that is cringe, kill that which cringes.

Q: So I can @ NateDrake?
A: No. That would be cringe.

NtujR9l.png

This section will be updated if we ever actually get any news, here realistically meaning "Tweets by Andy Robinson, Jeff Grubb, etc." Candidly, I do not expect it. All the same, what kind of ST doesn't have a news section?

Last edited:
Okay, @Raccoon, I do have one important question:

Do you like pets and food?

Inquiring minds want to know what raccoons enjoy!

I mean, there's gotta be something right? I can't imagine Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime remaster, etc being just Twitter drops.

Okay so first week or second week of July? I don’t think they would want to announce it close to Xenoblade 3 release date.
If it's happening at all, I think it's the 2nd week. Can't see it happening 1 week after the last showcase.

FM_iVfiXIAAOl7b.jpg

I have modest expectations. I'd love to see a first party Direct for July 11-15, but I've been burned before on Switch hardware (like when I literally posted a few seconds before the OLED was announced complaining where's the new hardware) so I'm kinda bearish on an announcement. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

A lite. I get the shadow drop.

But wouldn’t an upgrade switch want some advance notice? Maybe?

So maybe if it happens, we get a heads up sooner then expected.

I don't think we'll get a general Nintendo event, but we'll get some new trailers for Bayonetta and Mario Kart DLC, a Splatoon Direct, and an announcement for a Windwaker HD port this month.

We’ll get the announcements we deserve, but not the ones we need right now.

Yay more speculation!

Oops I accidentally posted in the wrong thread on the final page of the mini direct thread lol, went out with a bang

The dual doctors appointments I had on June 28 ended up correctly foretelling the Partner (we had to cancel one, which I assume is why we got only a Partner) and I have another dual appointment day on July 12, so

Second (full) week of July, baybeeeee

it's too soon for a Splatoon Direct and Kamiya would do crimes if they relegated Bayonetta to Twitter
Normally it would be, but I imagine that we'll get some playtests before launch. A Direct a month and a half before launch wouldn't be too early in that case.

We're really in uncharted territory. Looking forward to the announcements (or lack thereof) and the ensuing reactions this month.

It already released on March 3, 2017
Epic. Fuckin. Response. As a WiiU stan I approve

Dude stop stalking me with your camera

Kamiya would do crimes if they relegated Bayonetta to Twitter
Kamiya would block Nintendo

Yay more speculation!

Oops I accidentally posted in the wrong thread on the final page of the mini direct thread lol, went out with a bang
* totofogo asks sincere question about a Lego game *

* thread gets closed *

We're really in uncharted territory. Looking forward to the announcements (or lack thereof) and the ensuing reactions this month.
Technically the Uncharted Territory thread is this one where they're discussing Nathan Drake

And then Nintendo wouldn’t use Platinum for any more development and put them out of business.
...for blocking them on twitter?

That'd be some teenage-level pettiness. So you're probably right.

I am so pleased to announce that production has begun on the greatest Switchum shitpost of all time. I’m putting tons of energy and life into it, and I look forward to sharing it with my Famiboards friends.

It may take a few months of preparation, but I eagerly await the day I can release this shitpost for you all.

No, this is not a joke. I’ll aim to have it out in time for the September Direct ;)

Thanks @Raccoon for the thread!

Personally not expecting a major hardware reveal this month despite rumblings. By major I mean Pro / successor / gen 2 Switch. Excited to see the news as it comes!

Wanted to add I do think the Partner Showcase being what it was, was because of some kind of software delay. The editing in it felt unusually sloppy with awkward rapid cuts. I also don’t think they set up Treehouse just for Live A Live. I think the cut presentation / Treehouse segments will resurface somehow this month.

Last edited:
Excellent thread, @Raccoon ! And congratulations to @Skittzo on adopting Raccoon, apparently! His dad energy is growing (as is his dad joke power. Maybe we need to stop him before he gets too powerful?).

As for presentations:

I’m torn so many ways on this one. If there’s new hardware, then a show in a week or two might make sense, but it still feels super weird to me that they’d do a Partner Mini only to do a hardware reveal and another thing just a couple weeks later. If there’s not hardware, then they still need to do something with Bayo 3 and Metroid though, and that has to happen very soon right? But then why would they not just do it as a General Direct with all the Partner stuff? Or maybe they are just waiting until September to do a bigger show with BOTW2, and they’ll just do Twitter drops as needed to squeak by until then; they know they don’t need to do much right now with stuff like Splatoon and Pokémon coming soon, so they’re taking their foot off the gas a little for a while.

I have no idea if any of that is true, or a mix, or what’s going to happen. But that’s fun! We’ll find out! And the nice thing is that we’ll likely know soon.

Fantastically creative thread, raccoon, well done. I'm ready for us to lose our minds collectively all over again

Seriously though what was last month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom