• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I pray every night that we are entering Nintendo's Surprise Era

Next Direct, new projects from 9 and 8: Wave Race and 3D Donkey Kong

I just want ARMS 2 with deeper mechanics, more content and modes and a really cool singleplayer campaign with diverse challenges and beat em up style sections between bigger boss fights.

Thanks EPD 9

I don't think EPD 9 has another project ready (Mario Kart Tour and MK8D DLC production took up most of the resources), but EPD 8 definitely has a new project almost ready to go. It's just a matter of time before we see it.

I’m hoping we get an August game even if I know it’s pretty unrealistic…Xenoblade is out at the very end of the month so that probably counts and there wouldn’t be much time to promote something else. Advance Wars, though? Maybe?

I think the reason we associate "low effort" with the lazy devs rethoric is because it reminds us of Resetera.

I was just a lurker, but I could still tells that shit happens all the time there.

EPD 8 project: (it's Retro influenced)
homemade-smoked-barbecue-beef-brisket-picture-id478037138

Here is my take on what's going on with EPD Tokyo 3D title which is guaranteed to be a new 3D Mario game. The new 3D Mario was planned to be reveaaled at February Direct for a 2022 Holiday release (I think they probably knew at that time that BOTW2 will not make it, or at least they were not sure about it). But around February they also started to doubt the Holiday 2022 release of Mario movie. I know it was debated countless times that a new Mario game don't need a movie promotion and movie don't need a game alongside it but it just kinda makes sense to me. Which means that new 3D Mario game was delayed for roughly 4 months. (March to middle of April 2023). I have no idea where would this put BOTW2 tho, since many people believe it will be released the same day as BOTW1 but we've seen countless times that "Spring" could also be a June as with ARMS. Or that "Summer" could be September as with Splatoon 3.

7 years since the death of Satoru Iwata
It is now July 11 in Kyoto, marking seven years since the untimely passing of Satoru Iwata. Beloved by his peers, Iwata was an unparalleled mind in video game programming and product creation. While his legacy was marred by the state of the Wii U at the time of his death, it cannot go unstated that Satoru Iwata was the driving force behind the core concept of the Nintendo Switch, as he was for the development of the Nintendo DS and Wii.

I read the Hobonichi compilation Ask Iwata last month, and Iwata's writings have stayed with me and resonated. I encourage you all to purchase a copy, or to seek out the primary sources from which it draws. Iwata was a great man and his death was the first of a public figure that really impacted me.

In terms of the state of the thread, it should be noted that Nintendo will never announce anything on July 11. The day is entirely off-limits.

However, if the next step for Nintendo Switch were indeed to be announced later in the week, I think it would be very fitting timing indeed.

It is now July 11 in Kyoto, marking seven years since the untimely passing of Satoru Iwata. Beloved by his peers, Iwata was an unparalleled mind in video game programming and product creation. While his legacy was marred by the state of the Wii U at the time of his death, it cannot go unstated that Satoru Iwata was the driving force behind the core concept of the Nintendo Switch, as he was for the development of the Nintendo DS and Wii.

I read the Hobonichi compilation Ask Iwata last month, and Iwata's writings have stayed with me and resonated. I encourage you all to purchase a copy, or to seek out the primary sources from which it draws. Iwata was a great man and his death was the first of a public figure that really impacted me.

In terms of the state of the thread, it should be noted that Nintendo will never announce anything on July 11. The day is entirely off-limits.

However, if the next step for Nintendo Switch were indeed to be announced later in the week, I think it would be very fitting timing indeed.
You know.... Nintendos games helped me handle my deep depressions back in the early 2010's. His death was the first and last time I cried for a CEO.

I really need to purchase that book.

As far as we know (based on patent/copyright filings), none of the three ARMS directors worked on MK Tour. At least not in a lead position.

I don't think we can discount the possibility that something might have been scrapped. The Booster Course Pass not having credits (at least for now) makes things difficult to parse.

Here is my take on what's going on with EPD Tokyo 3D title which is guaranteed to be a new 3D Mario game. The new 3D Mario was planned to be reveaaled at February Direct for a 2022 Holiday release (I think they probably knew at that time that BOTW2 will not make it, or at least they were not sure about it). But around February they also started to doubt the Holiday 2022 release of Mario movie. I know it was debated countless times that a new Mario game don't need a movie promotion and movie don't need a game alongside it but it just kinda makes sense to me. Which means that new 3D Mario game was delayed for roughly 4 months. (March to middle of April 2023). I have no idea where would this put BOTW2 tho, since many people believe it will be released the same day as BOTW1 but we've seen countless times that "Spring" could also be a June as with ARMS. Or that "Summer" could be September as with Splatoon 3.
My personal opinion:

We know that EPD 8 hired for a 2D game. I guess it will be their next release in 2022-2023. After that they will concentrate to get their new 3D game finished which will probably be either corss gen or a launch game for the next system.

If it manages to get even a small install base, it will be a far more appealing platform to develop for thanks to being on an x86 architecture. If Nintendo ends up making the error of releasing a Switch 2 in 2024, they won't have a userbase to compete with, and the new system will lose any momentum it could have had.

Of course, that is all under the assumption that Sony makes a new portable and that it's a good product.
x86 architecture and portable gaming are not an ideal combo. That product already exists on the market in the form of the Steam Deck, which is expensive and I hope you're not looking to be able to play anything remotely current or last gen for more than an hour: https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-steam-deck-battery-life/

Sony would be better off just continuing with their PC porting strategy instead of trying to build out their own platform again

1) Seconding the Ask Iwata recommendation. It's quite good and I would've loved to have the privilege of working under him. There's a very empathic mentality to how he managed his employees during his tenure.

2) Now's a good time to go play some video games like Balloon Fight :)

about the fact that „economical“ frames a decision as somehow good or smart, and you try to tell people they should use this word. Those decisions might even be smart, but the products ARE low-effort. Strikers for example had less content than its predecessor, and that’s NOT because of lazy devs or something, but because of the decision to go with few characters, few stages, few modes. I won’t call that „economical“ because I can’t applaud these decisions.
It's just a different design philosophy, it has nothing to do with effort. The modern age of gaming is all about live service and giving games updates via free or paid content over time. With games like the recent Mario Sports titles, Splatoon, and Arms Nintendo has fully embraced that philosophy so that they can continue to get these games trending for months after launch. People complain about how I "already moved on from the game by the time the new content comes out" are also the same ones complaining when games like Mario Party Superstars or (until this year) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe don't get updates for whatever reason.

Here are the ugly truths people need to accept

1) Even if Nintendo didn't plan for those games to be GAAS and wanted to do a one and done release, they would fundamentally not be any different then how they are now after all their updates came and went.

2) Even if the game had all that content at launch, the same people today complaining that they "played the game and moved on" would still have "played the game and move on".

3) The reason a lot of us likely got more play time out of the older Mario sports games as an example as kids is because we had fewer games, there were fewer forms of on demand entertainment, and we were able to play locally with friends and family a lot more then we are now.

This is not to hand wave away genuine issues people had with things like Mario Golf Super Rush swing mechanics not feeling as good or Kirby Star Allies focus on 4 player coop hurting the level design, but those issues wouldn't be fixed even if Nintendo had 10x the staff and they spent another year of time developing the game. I would understand some of the criticisms of this content was held back for paid dlc like so many other companies due, but thus far all these Nintendo GAAS titles have gotten free updates.

My personal opinion:

We know that EPD 8 hired for a 2D game. I guess it will be their next release in 2022-2023. After that they will concentrate to get their new 3D game finished which will probably be either corss gen or a launch game for the next system.
EPD 8 hired for a 3D game before the 2D game (October 2019 for 3D, August 2020 for 2D). Odds are they're working on 2 projects, but the hiring calls don't really tell us anything about when the games are due.

EPD 8 hired for a 3D game before the 2D game (October 2019 for 3D, August 2020 for 2D). Odds are they're working on 2 projects, but the hiring calls don't really tell us anything about when the games are due
Good to know.

Damn… it’s that day of the year again 😢

I think of Iwata quite often. When Nintendo announced his passing me and my best friend (who unfortunately also died recently) had a farewell dinner and set up a photo of him at our table at rhe restaurant. I still have that photo of him in my home office.

I think that Nintendo Switch is his legacy even though one may wonder how much has changed since his passing till lauch. I want to believe that it wasn’t much but we may never know.

I have read Ask Iwata and I can also recomend it. Not just as a Nintendo fan. It gives great views on leadership, work culture and on how to deal with people around you.

Now I need to get Reggie’s book!

I'm wondering if the 2D Mario game could sneak in this year. I know Rabbids is coming out, but that still doesn't have a solid date in Japan, so October is empty there.

EPD 8 hired for a 3D game before the 2D game (October 2019 for 3D, August 2020 for 2D). Odds are they're working on 2 projects, but the hiring calls don't really tell us anything about when the games are due.
What if it’s the same project but is both a 2D and 3D game? 🧐

To be honest I speculated (to myself) that the Chinese guy could have found some website leak or something indicating that the Splatoon OLED Switch was about to release. Or just a very good guess. Even if he knew it existed, how exactly would he know when it was going to release? Seemed fishy to me. Just wondered if he found some hint in one of the Nintendo sites webcode or something that was indicating it was going to release. Pure speculation of course.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

This isn't just some random guy.

I can’t believe we are within a week of a major event

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

I'm gonna say it....

takes deep breath

Metroid Dread is the best game I have played since BotW and dethroned Mario Odyssey as my second favorite game on the Switch. Just finished my latest playthrough on hard and as much as I love Odyssey.... Metroid Dread is just too much fun.

This opinion will change the next time I'll play Odyssey lmao

I need to get back on a replay of Dread.

Loved it before, but Metroid games get better and better with each replay

Also been bumping the Artaria and Burenia themes, despite my constant berating of the OST lol

Man, Iwata's passing is still so sad to me. Sometimes I actually tear up a little bit when I think about how his passion for videogames and how he passed on so early.

EDIT: Shoot, I forgot to mention that yes, Ask Iwata is a great read! I read it last year and it's a great look into the kind of person he was and the work he did. Made me admire him even more.
Some guy keeps editing the Splatoon 3 wikipedia page to make it say the game was delayed to release on October 2nd, it's an obvious troll but they're dedicated as hell for some reason lmao

I guess this is kind of funny but for some reason this really just makes me mad. Wasting the time of contributors working for free.

Damn, Nintendo Switch Sports is still number 3 on the e-shop two months later. So much for it being a failure lol. For perspective, Mario Strikers and Fire Emblem Warriors aren't even in the top 10.

Damn, Nintendo Switch Sports is still number 3 on the e-shop two months later. So much for it being a failure lol. For perspective, Mario Strikers and Fire Emblem Warriors aren't even in the top 10.
I still dont understand why the Switch Sports bomba narrative started when not a single chart of any nation supports that narrative. Is because the ‘lack of content’ day 1 that people thought it was going to flop?

I still dont understand why the Switch Sports bomba narrative started when not a single chart of any nation supports that narrative. Is because the ‘lack of content’ day 1 that people thought it was going to flop?
It's the lack of social media talk. Which I sorta get.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I feel like so many of Odyssey's moons are just fun surprises they don't really work when replaying the game. It doesn't ruin the game, but I certainly enjoyed it most on my first playthrough.
In my experience I enjoyed replays as much as my first run because the beauty of the game imo is that you can progress the way you want. If I know I don't like certain moons I just don't do them and can progress either way. Always loved this about the freeform progression of Odyssey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom