• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
...that's why it didn't. It got announced eons ago, and then, as you point out, we got functionally noting for over a year. We're really only getting the usual one month marketing push.
It is though? Getting an occasional trailer/tweet every now and then is the definition of a slow burn. Zelda is no different. A slow burn marketing cycle is still going to have the patented final push that Nintendo has perfected at this point.

It is though? Getting an occasional trailer/tweet every now and then is the definition of a slow burn. Zelda is no different. A slow burn marketing cycle is still going to have the patented final push that Nintendo has perfected at this point.
I'm not sure what you're complaining about exactly

this game has never been in the forefront and you said yourself that we know functionally nothing about it

I'm not sure what you're complaining about exactly
I'm saying that I don't think Splatoon deserves this sort of marketing cycle. I don't like it with Zelda, but at least that franchise has the prestige and sales to warrant it. Splatoon, in my opinion, has neither of those things, and as a result the marketing has been a faceplant so far for me.

Is it time to close this thread now? Or make a new OT?
i personally feel the thread has become too long, too convoluted , and rolling on with months, it has lost a bit of focus.

I'm saying that I don't think Splatoon deserves this sort of marketing cycle. I don't like it with Zelda, but at least that franchise has the prestige and sales to warrant it. Splatoon, in my opinion, has neither of those things, and as a result the marketing has been a faceplant so far for me.
It sounds like you aren't the intended audience of the marketing? There's an incredibly hungry and devoted fanbase out there who enjoy and decipher the "cryptic" nature of this marketing, especially in JP. As you said in your initial post, the game is huge in Japan, so thus it follows that the marketing would be directed at that market. Other markets are just getting translations of that marketing effort because we live in the age of the internet anyhow

but why though? why does it need the sales to be announced early? I don't get what you're saying at all

It sounds like you aren't the intended audience of the marketing? There's an incredibly hungry and devoted fanbase out there who enjoy and decipher the "cryptic" nature of this marketing, especially in JP. As you said in your initial post, the game is huge in Japan, so thus it follows that the marketing would be directed at that market. Other markets are just getting translations of that marketing effort because we live in the age of the internet anyhow
I'm aware, hence why I mentioned this in my initial post. Doesn't mean I need to like it or think it's the best decision for the series.
but why though? why does it need the sales to be announced early? I don't get what you're saying at all
Because I don't think the popularity is strong enough in the west to support such a slow marketing cycle. There's basically no hype for this game outside of the Splatoon community, and that's pretty much entirely on Nintendo for showing so little of it. It works in Japan because the prestige for the franchise allows this type of marketing to function.

Compare Splatoon 3 to Breath of the Wild 2. Very similar marketing cycles, hell Splatoon 3 has gotten significantly more than Breath of the Wild 2 up to this point, despite being announced 20 months later. And yet, the hype for Zelda completely dwarfs Splatoon's, because Zelda's got the prestige for the west to be hyped over the game's mere existence. Splatoon, in my opinion, has not reached that point in the west, and as a result the marketing has left a lot of people up to this point uninterested and confused.

???????

Outside of BOTW, Splatoon 2 has outsold every Zelda game. It's a huge franchise.

???????

Outside of BOTW, Splatoon 2 has outsold every Zelda game. It's a huge franchise.
I thought the Zelda marketing cycle was silly before Breath of the Wild too. Now that it's earned the reputation of being a blockbuster smash hit, while I still don't like how they handle marketing whatsoever, I can at least somewhat understand it.

I thought the Zelda marketing cycle was silly before Breath of the Wild too. Now that it's earned the reputation of being a blockbuster smash hit, while I still don't like how they handle marketing whatsoever, I can at least somewhat understand it.
And Splatoon isn't? The last game sold over 13 million!

And Splatoon isn't? The last game sold over 13 million!
Breath of the Wild sold double that, and I still think the marketing for the sequel is questionable.

I'm not saying that Splatoon is a small series by any stretch of the imagination. I'm saying that this type of elongated marketing cycle is only warranted by the true slam dunk, 20M+ sellers, and even then I don't think it's the best course of action more often than not. My thinking that Splatoon's marketing cycle was a misfire up to this point is not a dunk on Splatoon in any capacity.

Maybe, but I don't really know where they're seeing that type of stuff. The first two trailers were both incredibly cryptic with very little of substance to actually offer, while the third and fourth trailers were just gameplay showcases of Salmon Run and Turf War which, while nice, don't really tell us a whole lot.

In comparison to something like Xenoblade Chronicles 3, it feels like we know a lot less about the game going into the direct, which is kinda silly considering how long ago it was announced.

It's definitely a big title, but I'm not quite sold on the idea that it's so big that it warrants this type of special treatment. I already don't like how long the marketing for Zelda games take, and Breath of the Wild sold twice as many copies as Splatoon 2. Splatoon 3 isn't big enough outside of Japan for me to think it deserves the slow burn marketing cycle yet. If Pokemon and Mario aren't getting these types of marketing cycles, I don't see why Splatoon should get one either.

Also don't agree with your take on Metroid Dread. Nintendo has shown time and time again that they're more than willing to end Directs on "insignificant" games (Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, Bayonetta 3, etc.). Ending the February 2021 direct with a game slated for 2021, and then saving Splatoon 3 as an E3 2021 announcement, would've flowed so much better without sacrificing any hype for Splatoon 3.

I'm not saying that Nintendo doesn't end Directs on less significant games. But you're arguing as to why Metroid Dread should have been the closer over Splatoon 3. In terms of sales and marketing, by all accounts, Splatoon 3 was the bigger announcement. Other than your feelings, what reasoning should Nintendo have had to pick Dread over Splatoon 3 to close at that particular Direct?

I see people are still using the "If you ignore Japan, then...." logic. Companies tend not to ignore 1/3 of their overall market, especially when that market happens to be their home country.

I'm not saying that Nintendo doesn't end Directs on less significant games. But you're arguing as to why Metroid Dread should have been the closer over Splatoon 3. In terms of sales and marketing, by all accounts, Splatoon 3 was the bigger announcement. Other than your feelings, what reasoning should Nintendo have had to pick Dread over Splatoon 3 to close at that particular Direct?
  1. Puts Metroid Dread in the public eye sooner, increasing recognition and awareness for a game that would've benefited from the additional marketing boost.
  2. Gives a stronger outline for their 2021 lineup as a whole. The February 2021 direct was not received particularly well, and a big reason for that was due to two of the biggest announcements being 2022 games.
  3. Pushes the Splatoon 3 reveal back to E3, which would put more eyes on the game's announcement and condense the marketing cycle by a few months.
I see people are still using the "If you ignore Japan, then...." logic. Companies tend not to ignore 1/3 of their overall market, especially when that market happens to be their home country.
I'm not saying that though? I quite literally said I understand why they went with the marketing cycle they did specifically because of Japan. I just don't think that this form of marketing translated well outside of Japan at all, and as a result the interest in Splatoon 3 has yet to really take off at all in the west.

Because I don't think the popularity is strong enough in the west to support such a slow marketing cycle. There's basically no hype for this game outside of the Splatoon community, and that's pretty much entirely on Nintendo for showing so little of it.
...what's the difference though? this way the community is hyped and it's given the switch a future tentpole for advertising the future of support

if it weren't announced yet, would there be hype?

...what's the difference though? this way the community is hyped and it's given the switch a future tentpole for advertising the future of support

if it weren't announced yet, would there be hype?
Had the announcement been pushed to later on and the information been more condensed, I do believe that the hype would be stronger than it currently is, yes.

Had the announcement been pushed to later on and the information been more condensed, I do believe that the hype would be stronger than it currently is, yes.
but they haven't shared yet? the direct that will change this is literally in two days

I'm sorry to keep pushing back like this but this is the least I've ever comprehended someone's perspective online

Who cares if the hype today isn't that high, they'll start truly building hype from now until release (and after, given how previous Splats went).

but they haven't shared yet? the direct that will change this is literally in two days

I'm sorry to keep pushing back like this but this is the least I've ever comprehended someone's perspective online
I hope it does, but I firmly believe that interest in the game could have been significantly higher has the marketing cycle been handled differently up to this point.
lol

Splatoon is so big everywhere it doesn’t need much marketing.
Maybe so, but I’m honestly not super convinced about the sales in the west yet. Don’t think it’s entirely impossible that a large portion of Splatoon 2’s sales came from early adopters looking for something to play.

Would love to be wrong on all this, as I love Splatoon, and want it to succeed. I just personally don’t think they’ve handled the marketing well up to this point, and that public interest and reception could be much stronger had they done it differently. If I’m the only one who thinks that, so be it. Defending this position is getting tiring at this point so I’m just gonna drop it.

Now the Splatoon "doom and gloom" has infected famiboards. Great....

Nintendo has one of the best, if not the best, marketing teams in the business and their directs are an envy in the industry.

Cant wait for the December post of: "Is Splatoon 3 dead?"

I hope it does, but I firmly believe that interest in the game could have been significantly higher has the marketing cycle been handled differently up to this point.

Maybe so, but I’m honestly not super convinced about the sales in the west yet. Don’t think it’s entirely impossible that a large portion of Splatoon 2’s sales came from early adopters looking for something to play.

Would love to be wrong on all this, as I love Splatoon, and want it to succeed. I just personally don’t think they’ve handled the marketing well up to this point, and that public interest and reception could be much stronger had they done it differently. If I’m the only one who thinks that, so be it. Defending this position is getting tiring at this point so I’m just gonna drop it.
I mean that's just plain wrong, the game in his first quarter sold 3.5 mil copies and it went on to sell over 13 mil copies in the following years.
The game is still a big evergreen to this day and sold a lot even post launch.

Last edited:
Correction:

Spla-DOOOOOMED!

XcHz8GJ-cBd1qJF135k6v2gpFAM67_YRoEAx2DhIBR4.png

Here's my FamiBoards hot(?) take on community hype and interest.

So you know how Era is said to have a bias towards big budget single player games, particularly Sony stuff? And how that community has often been criticized for it? Fami has the same bias for big budget single player games, just replace Sony with Nintendo. So things like Splatoon (multiplayer) or Pokémon ("cheaper" looking and less ambitious) naturally get less interest while things like Xenoblade (the big JRPG franchise) and BOTW 2 (the highly anticipated sequel to the big open world game) and Metroid (the hardcore search action franchise) get more community interest. I feel like this is obvious to some but it's still on my mind.

This isn't a criticism or a critique - I know very well that my interests in games are just as pigeonholed, given that I don't care about Xenoblade or turn based strategy and often stay in the Nintendo/Scrimblo Bimblo bubble. And as long as people are enjoying themselves and having fun it's not a problem. Just an observation.

So you know how Era is said to have a bias towards big budget single player games, particularly Sony stuff? And how that community has often been criticized for it? Fami has the same bias for big budget single player games, just replace Sony with Nintendo. So things like Splatoon (multiplayer) or Pokémon ("cheaper" looking and less ambitious) naturally get less interest while things like Xenoblade (the big JRPG franchise) and BOTW 2 (the highly anticipated sequel to the big open world game) and Metroid (the hardcore search action franchise) get more community interest. I feel like this is obvious to some but it's still on my mind.

This isn't a criticism or a critique - I know very well that my interests in games are just as pigeonholed, given that I don't care about Xenoblade or turn based strategy and often stay in the Nintendo/Scrimblo Bimblo bubble. And as long as people are enjoying themselves and having fun it's not a problem. Just an observation.
this is absolutely the case

interest in the zany multiplayer shooterish game, the adventures of scrimblo bimblo, or wii sports 4 are naturally going to be lower on an adult enthusiast forum

When Famiboards tells you that Xenoblade and FE are massive franchises but Splatoon isn't, it becomes pretty obvious what the thread's preferences are.

NGL, I do get a little annoyed when people complain about MULTIPLAYER FOCUSED games not having good single player options. Splatoon, the Mario Sports games, Mario Kart, Switch Sports. Like that's not the focus of the games lol. It's like complaining that BOTW doesnt have multiplayer or that Mario Odysseys multiplayer sucks.

I dunno if bias is the word I’d use. The board is definitely skewed away from the general consensus (I.E. Xenoblade is a much bigger deal here than for the general audience) but the multiplayer/casual stuff is still well represented on here I’d say.

I'm of the opinion that more games should get the Splatoon treatment of being revealed over a year before release, but then to not hear anything of them until their release gets close

It allows us more time to plan to budget our time/money for upcoming releases

I think this bias at least partially comes from the fact that people really into multiplayer games will just stick to communities specific to those games. Like, if you're a big fan of Splatoon, you're probably better suited to a Splatoon Discord server. If you're a big fan of Pokemon, then you stick to Smogon or one of the many dedicated Pokemon fan sites or Discord servers or r/pokemon or even /vp/. Smash is an exception to this because it's a crossover starring everyone's favorite big single player game characters. It's also why the Smash discussion that does happen is usually focused on character and moveset speculation and not the like, actual mechanics of the games. This is also why so few people here speedrun despite a lot of the games that are popular here being popular speed games; because people will just hop on the Discord server specific to whatever game they run or r/speedrun for general speedrun info.

For game discussion, forums are best suited to talking about games in a book club-esque way where people talk about their reactions to games as they play through them and their emotional responses to games. This leads to a lot of the games that are popular on them being large, narrative driven games (often RPGs or action games) that are conducive to this sort of discussion. Mechanics-focused multiplayer titles and games outside of that specific designation are going to thrive better in large central hubs sorted around live discussion and information gathering (Discord servers, Wikis, subreddits).

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion that more games should get the Splatoon treatment of being revealed over a year before release, but then to not hear anything of them until their release gets close

It allows us more time to plan to budget our time/money for upcoming releases
absolutely. big fan of knowing what's coming without knowing much about it

Splatoon sales discussions are the worst.

That said....

I can't wait for the Direct. Really excited for this one!

NGL, I do get a little annoyed when people complain about MULTIPLAYER FOCUSED games not having good single player options. Splatoon, the Mario Sports games, Mario Kart, Switch Sports. Like that's not the focus of the games lol. It's like complaining that BOTW doesnt have multiplayer or that Mario Odysseys multiplayer sucks.
I think it depends on the specific games. With Strikers for example I don’t really see the benefit of having a big single player campaign. For Splatoon, I think many people see the potential the mechanics and the world has, and they just wish to explore them better with a single player campaign. Since Nintendo doesn’t do spin-offs for most of their IPs, a single player mode or DLC is the only real option for that.
Oh, and with iterative sequels, I think it’s fair to expect more content in general. And a single player campaign is a great way to do that.

i dont like how splat 3 has been handled either, especially because all this wait is making my expectations grow larger, and that direct will have to really be something to change my views on 3.

As to Dread over Splat 3... in an objective way it is kinda absurd to suggest that. Even if dread is still the biggest of the B sellers on the switch its still a B seller. Would probably gather more eyes on the direct because metroid being a hardcore franchise gets more eyes than a more casual oriented splatoon (i mean look at how much dread sold vs luigi's mansion 3 and which of the two got more people talking in the interwebs for example) (yeah yeah japan go crazy and yadda)

And anyway Metroid IS getting this stupid treatment anyway, waaay longer than splatoon therefore metroid>splatoon

What people don't understand is that splatoon has already won, it's already an elite Nintendo franchise and it has already made it big time. Splatoon 3 is not a make or break release for the franchise and it doesn't need to be a break out hit, splatoon 2 already was that, this is just the next game of a top tier franchise that already has a huge fanbase and it will continue to grow.
There's literally 0 reasons to be concerned about the future of the series or it's marketing.
Splatoon is already an household name

Last edited:
What people don't understand is that splatoon has already won, it's already an elite Nintendo franchise and it has already made it big time. Splatoon 3 is not a make or break release for the franchise and it doesn't need to be a break out hit, splatoon 2 already was that, this is just the next game of a top tier franchise that already has a huge fanbase and it will continue to grow.
There's literally 0 reasons to be concerned about the future of the series or it's marketing.
Splatoon is already and household name
wouldn't it be sooo much better and more popular if it was made by game freak tho?

I have no idea where people are getting the idea that the negativity is stemming from the belief that Splatoon 3 will be a sales flop or a bad game, or that the IP isn’t sustainable, or anything like that.

I, and I’m assuming many others, think that the marketing up to this point could have been stronger. That’s it.

I have no idea where people are getting the idea that the negativity is stemming from the belief that Splatoon 3 will be a sales flop or a bad game, or that the IP isn’t sustainable, or anything like that.

I, and I’m assuming many others, think that the marketing up to this point could have been stronger. That’s it.
I 100% agree. I mean of course im not a sales analyst and im sure they re more suited than i am to decide this, but splatoon isnt a content packed game, a expansive world. They could have announced this yesterday and released it next month lol.

If that isn't the case then what's the problem of the marketing?
To me if someone dislikes the marketing of a game it means that he thinks it's going to have a negative effect on the game sales, or I guess they're displeased by the lack of news and they want to know more about the game but we're getting a direct I'm 2 days so that's not a problem.
If a game is good and successful I don't really care if I don't like the marketing pre release.

Beyond the single player bias of the forum, I think, to an extent, a lot of that is expectations set by prior entries or competitors in the genres. Splatoon genuinely has a great single player, the Camelot Mario sports titles were split between multiplayer focused console games and single player focused handheld games, Mario Kart DS had mission mode and other Kart racers have had more substantial single player. Something like Splatoon fits, but I kinda get where certain groups are coming from to an extent?

Mario Strikers was always doomed though, those originals weren't great single player games to begin with.
For game discussion, forums are best suited to talking about games in a book club-esque way where people talk about their reactions to games as they play through them and their emotional responses to games. This leads to a lot of the games that are popular on them being large, narrative driven games (often RPGs or action games) that are conducive to this sort of discussion. Mechanics-focused multiplayer titles and games outside of that specific designation are going to thrive better in large central hubs sorted around live discussion and information gathering (Discord servers, Wikis, subreddits).
This is tangential to the greater point you're making, but I wish Discord wasn't used as a big knowledge hub. Discord keeps all that private. It's good for community but terrible for information.

If that isn't the case then what's the problem of the marketing?
To me if someone dislikes the marketing of a game it means that he thinks it's going to have a negative effect on the game sales, or I guess they're displeased by the lack of news and they want to know more about the game but we're getting a direct I'm 2 days so that's not a problem.
If a game is good and successful I don't really care if I don't like the marketing pre release.
I do think it will have a negative effect on sales. That does not mean I think the game will be a flop. I just think the game could possibly sell more with a stronger initial marketing campaign.

Could I be wrong? Sure. I’m no expert. Maybe this final push will be strong enough to compensate, or maybe I’m wrong that it needed a stronger push in the first place. This is just my own personal opinion on the matter.

I do think it will have a negative effect on sales. That does not mean I think the game will be a flop. I just think the game could possibly sell more with a stronger initial marketing campaign.

Could I be wrong? Sure. I’m no expert. Maybe this final push will be strong enough to compensate, or maybe I’m wrong that it needed a stronger push in the first place. This is just my own personal opinion on the matter.
Ah ok.
I don't agree and I think the game will do more than fine but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
I also think the next direct will probably change a lot of opinions or at least I hope it's going to be good. 30 minutes is quite a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom