• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
DDR (Dance Dance Revolution, not Deutsche Demokratische Republik) style minigame in an arcade in the main hub in addition to the Wii U loading jump game and the rhythm game I think they had in Splatoon 2.

Even tho I don't really care about Splatoon, I am really happy the direct is this week because it shows Nintendo is back on a somewhat predictable schedule (Pokemon Presents last week helped as well even if it isn't full on Nintendo). Not gonna lie, June really threw me for a loop so glad things seem to be in some regards back to normal. Shows good signs for an upcoming Sept direct even if it isn't necessarily on Sept 1st like I predict lol

I'd love to see GoldenEye as well, but I'm assuming it's gonna be a non-starter so long as Russia's aggression against Ukraine is maintained.

Wave Race 64 feels like a good summer type of game, I'd be genuinely happy if Super Smash Bros was added earlier than later in the service, though.

Harvest Moon 64 would be neat but I have a feeling there's probably some licensing bullshit going on there between Natsume and Marvelous
Smash 64 would make my entire year. Please Nintendo, pleeeeeeeease.

A Splatoon 3 Direct but what about us RPG fans, Nintendo?! We're starving here! If you don't announce something new by the time I complete Xenoblade 3, I might have to do other things like spend time with my family until Persona 5 comes out.

Is it just lately or is Nintendo going out of their way for Monday announcements more often than usual?

I thought they didn't normally do that because half the world is still on Sunday at the time, and something similar with the Friday/Saturday split of time zones

Wave Race 64 is the best n64 game to drop now

For Goldeneye at 100% it would be sold oh the eshop considering it will have improvments like operations like the Dooms or Quake ports

So, the Indie Direct might be only one left for the month.

Then in September we could have another big direct!
Another mini partner showcase 🤭

ok now I'm curious, how is wave race actually?
Is it good or is it like f-zero? (f-zero=bad)
I always hear people talk about it here and I've never tried one and don't understand what's the appeal.

Last edited:
ok now I'm curious, how is wave race actually?
Is it good or it's like f-zero? (f-zer=bad)
I always hear people talk about it here and I've never tried one and don't understand what's the appeal.
it's bad like f-zero yeah

in fact 64 was originally going to be futuristic watercraft until miyamoto declared it not unique enough

Originally referred to as "F-Zero on water", the game was intended to feature high-speed boats with transforming capabilities, but these were ultimately replaced with Jet Skis as producer Shigeru Miyamoto felt that the game would not be differentiated enough from other titles on other systems.

Nintendo Partner Showcase early September
Bayonetta 3 Direct late September

Next general Direct for the common #TeamJanuary W

;)
I don't think we're getting a bayo 3 direct. I know we had a bayo 2 direct in the past but that was the wiiU era, they had like 3 games for 6 months and they needed something to talk about.

I refuse to believe that there is another Partner Showcase. I think they have to many unrevealed games for late 2022- early 2023 to do them in random Twitter drops. I don‘t see them waiting for name and content reveal of BOTW2 until next year and a trailer in a direct would make a lot of sense. Especially when there are other completely new possible announcements like Prime Remaster, likely one or two games for early 2023 and maybe maybe a teaser for Prime 4.

I bought Splatoon 2 at launch. Played it for 5 hours. Sold it a few weeks later (I sucked at it).

But dagommit I want 3 and I don't know why.

Can't wait to buy Splatoon 3 day 1, love the single player, play online for 1 weekend, then never touch the game again.

If you don't expect/want a Partner Showcase, that's when Nintendo will give it to you.

Extra on-demand so you know how fluff-filled it really is

Most nintendo games arent fit for showing at the TGAS.

The definitive proof that nintendo doesnt cares about them anymore will be if MP4 doesnt appears in anyway in the show in the next years.

I agree, I have a feeling that reggie was the connection to have games shown there

If you don't expect/want a Partner Showcase, that's when Nintendo will give it to you.

Extra on-demand so you know how fluff-filled it really is
If it's another one of those jam packed with Square Enix stuff Partner Showcases, I won't complain. Despite all the upcoming and dated Square Enix games this year, there still are few leaked stuff that haven't been revealed yet.

If it's another one of those jam packed with Square Enix stuff Partner Showcases, I won't complain. Despite all the upcoming and dated Square Enix games this year, there still are few leaked stuff that haven't been revealed yet.
Which leaks are those, if I may ask?

Though granted I've just never been super in tune with SE games; DQ and FF don't register for me, I enjoy LiS but I still have to pick up True Colours, and Harvestella looks interesting but I'm gonna hold out for reviews first.

Which leaks are those, if I may ask?
Nvidia leak, Final Fantasy Tactics and FF9 remake remain to be revealed. Square's list in that database turned out to be the most legitimate one.

Play-asia also leaked SaGa Frontier 2 remaster.

There are also games that are revealed to be in dev by the devs, like new SaGa and Mana games. Been quite a while, both should be closer to their reveals.

Nvidia leak, Final Fantasy Tactics and FF9 remake remain to be revealed. Square's list in that database turned out to be the most legitimate one.

Play-asia also leaked SaGa Frontier 2 remaster.

There are also games that are revealed to be in dev by the devs, like new SaGa and Mana games. Been quite a while, both should be closer to their reveals.
I keep forgetting about that Nvidia leak 😅 The list I saw on PC Gamer also reminded me of Mirror's Edge getting and RTX re-release, so I hope that comes to pass before long (I'd also 110% buy Mirror's Edge on Switch day zero pre-order ahead of launch if EA didn't play childish mindgames at the C-level)

...and TimeSplitter 2 getting a remaster, but I'm getting sidetracked off my own original snarky comment disparaging partner showcases lmao

Fami I dreamed Nintendo had a Direct and showed a Breath of the Wild 2 trailer, with an alternative character to Link (iirc for co-op) don't remember a lot of them but they did have short hair, male look. The game was then dated for February 2022. I cried like a child watching the trailer on the dream.

Now what I also recall is thinking to myself "I can't believe this is the final announcement I NEED TO SEE METROID!!".

...and TimeSplitter 2 getting a remaster, but I'm getting sidetracked off my own original snarky comment disparaging partner showcases lmao
In three days, there's a THQ Nordic presentation. While the recently re-founded Free Radical is currently under Deep Silver umbrella, it's worth to remember that THQ recently got the Second Sight IP from Deep Silver. Second Sight is from Free Radical too (it even got some Timesplitters easter eggs). I'm not saying that means anything but since Deep Silver won't have their own presentation... Maybe...

Speaking of Second Sight, I remember another psychic ability game, Psi Ops, came out around the same time so the two were pitted against each other despite playing very differently.

Splatoon 3 Direct this week so we can have Metroid Prime Remake Twitter drop next week!! 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

September Direct can still happen, but I don't know how much I'm gonna believe on it. Only thing that makes me believe is they have to show Zelda as it's coming in spring, there's the Fire Emblem game to be revealed and they can pair the Metroid Prime Remastered reveal with a 4 teaser(which wouldn't happen on a Twitter drop).

Y'all think Metroid Prime HD will do fine sales wise even being announced only 2 months before release? I know Age of Calamity did, but that was, well, Zelda. I also thought MPR would be launch title to a new Switch model but I think the ship for a holiday season launch has sailed apparently.

In three days, there's a THQ Nordic presentation. While the recently re-founded Free Radical is currently under Deep Silver umbrella, it's worth to remember that THQ recently got the Second Sight IP from Deep Silver. Second Sight is from Free Radical too (it even got some Timesplitters easter eggs). I'm not saying that means anything but since Deep Silver won't have their own presentation... Maybe...
Oh damn, first I heard of this presentation 👀 Just watched that teaser trailer, I guess probably nothing as yet to hint to TS in any capacity, but man oh man I would be stoked to hear some news on that front.

TimeSplitters making a comeback (and on Switch) would be more hype to me than GoldenEye, and at least the former has a better chance then either GE or Halo being announced on Switch in the near future.

Man, it’s wild that we’ve gone nearly 18 months since reveal without really getting any sort of substantial information. This is very sorely needed.

Didn’t understand for a while why they announced Splatoon 3 so early (they could’ve easily teased Metroid Dread as their closer for that direct instead), but given how huge it is in Japan I definitely get it now. That level of hype just doesn’t really translate to the west I suppose.

Oh damn, first I heard of this presentation 👀 Just watched that teaser trailer, I guess probably nothing as yet to hint to TS in any capacity, but man oh man I would be stoked to hear some news on that front.

TimeSplitters making a comeback (and on Switch) would be more hype to me than GoldenEye, and at least the former has a better chance then either GE or Halo being announced on Switch in the near future.
Second Sight is a real possibility though. It's from the same devs and imo was the best third person action game on GameCube. Keep an eye on it.

Man, it’s wild that we’ve gone nearly 18 months since reveal without really getting any sort of substantial information. This is very sorely needed.

Didn’t understand for a while why they announced Splatoon 3 so early (they could’ve easily teased Metroid Dread as their closer for that direct instead), but given how huge it is in Japan I definitely get it now. That level of hype just doesn’t really translate to the west I suppose.
I feel like we know a lot more about the game than most are letting on between the trailers and screenshots, it’s just not so clearly spelled out so only those putting together the pieces (not me) know. Saying 18 months without “substantial info” feels wrong to me.

They did it for hiring purposes seemingly

Second Sight is a real possibility though. It's from the same devs and imo was the best third person action game on GameCube. Keep an eye on it.
Truthfully never heard of it before, but I'll definitely keep a lookout for it! Honestly any kind of action shooter is sorely needed on Switch; better to have some decent multiplayer online that isn't monetized to hell and back but I'll take when I can get at this rate.

Splatoon 2 has sold over 10 million copies. People underestimate how big that game was. When you sell that much, games get announced earlier because they are system sellers. Metroid Dread is insignificant in comparison. So rather then go with the much smaller announcement, they went with the big one.

Splatoon 2 has sold over 10 million copies. People underestimate how big that game was. When you sell that much, games get announced earlier because they are system sellers. Metroid Dread is insignificant in comparison. So rather then go with the much smaller announcement, they went with the big one.
Wasn’t the main reason they announced it so early was to do hiring calls for it?

Wasn’t the main reason they announced it so early was to do hiring calls for it?

That's certainly plays a part in it but announcing big titles like BOTW 2 and Splatoon 3 well is advance is done to primarily sell the system. Nintendo wants people to know that even more Zelda and Splatoon are on the way so they should pick up a Switch.

they really did announce a direct on 8/8 for the game coming out on 9/9
Nintendo fans upon discovering this: "Is this a clue regarding Nintendo's modus operandi from now on?"

Meanwhile, Nintendo:

7wM5.gif

I feel like we know a lot more about the game than most are letting on between the trailers and screenshots, it’s just not so clearly spelled out so only those putting together the pieces (not me) know. Saying 18 months without “substantial info” feels wrong to me.
Maybe, but I don't really know where they're seeing that type of stuff. The first two trailers were both incredibly cryptic with very little of substance to actually offer, while the third and fourth trailers were just gameplay showcases of Salmon Run and Turf War which, while nice, don't really tell us a whole lot.

In comparison to something like Xenoblade Chronicles 3, it feels like we know a lot less about the game going into the direct, which is kinda silly considering how long ago it was announced.
It's definitely a big title, but I'm not quite sold on the idea that it's so big that it warrants this type of special treatment. I already don't like how long the marketing for Zelda games take, and Breath of the Wild sold twice as many copies as Splatoon 2. Splatoon 3 isn't big enough outside of Japan for me to think it deserves the slow burn marketing cycle yet. If Pokemon and Mario aren't getting these types of marketing cycles, I don't see why Splatoon should get one either.

Also don't agree with your take on Metroid Dread. Nintendo has shown time and time again that they're more than willing to end Directs on "insignificant" games (Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, Bayonetta 3, etc.). Ending the February 2021 direct with a game slated for 2021, and then saving Splatoon 3 as an E3 2021 announcement, would've flowed so much better without sacrificing any hype for Splatoon 3.

Splatoon 3 isn't big enough outside of Japan for me to think it deserves the slow burn marketing cycle yet.
...that's why it didn't. It got announced eons ago, and then, as you point out, we got functionally noting for over a year. We're really only getting the usual one month marketing push.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom