• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether I do or not is for me to decide if/when I want to share any such knowledge & not to give another month of clickbait content for creators. And it was not in my interest to either confirm or dismiss a September Direct in this podcast recording.

I do or not if/when to either confirm or dismiss.

This but replace Xenoblade 3 with Bayonetta 3 and I've never even played Bayonetta before, I'm just considering it now because there's so little else going on this year for me
The Bayonetta series is great, and I'm also gonna get 3 in October. I just didn't include it since it's third party.

I have a confession to make. I buy a average of 6 games per year, and never finish a single one of them (except Pokémon, but without completing the dex). It took me more then 2 years to beat Breath of the Wild, and i haven't done every side quests, and still have a few shrines to finish. And i consider BotW as my number 1 game. My backlog on games not finished is gigantic, and there are only a few where i have the intention to finish those games (BotW, Zelda SS, GoW, FF7R), and i did this as a child as well. Maybe because my first console was a modded PlayStation, and i got a copied game every month, and also had had flashcard for my DS as a tween. So i had always enough games to play (except for my PS2 and GC that where not modded, but even then i still had my PSX with all those games).

I have a confession to make. I buy a average of 6 games per year, and never finish a single one of them (except Pokémon, but without completing the dex). It took me more then 2 years to beat Breath of the Wild, and i haven't done every side quests, and still have a few shrines to finish. And i consider BotW as my number 1 game. My backlog on games not finished is gigantic, and there are only a few where i have the intention to finish those games (BotW, Zelda SS, GoW, FF7R), and i did this as a child as well. Maybe because my first console was a modded PlayStation, and i got a copied game every month, and also had had flashcard for my DS as a tween. So i had always enough games to play (except for my PS2 and GC that where not modded, but even then i still had my PSX with all those games).
Maybe you should try out Animal Crossing. The point of that game is to not finish it.

Will the lord give us Metroid Prime HD remaster announcement today?

I fear you gotta be the most faithful and believing person on this world for this to happen on the day they released their quarter earnings and have a big(ger) stream announcement done by one of their partners.

Maybe you should try out Animal Crossing. The point of that game is to not finish it.
I did in 2020, but i didn't touch it after the summer of 2020, except for a little while after de DLC release last year. Also played a lot of Sims when i was younger. I do like other games, but often i just don't have the energy to finish them, or get distracted by other media.

I did in 2020, but i didn't touch it after the summer of 2020, except for a little while after de DLC release last year. Also played a lot of Sims when i was younger. I do like other games, but often i just don't have the energy to finish them, or get distracted by other media.
I buy around 15-20 games a year and I don't finish half of those. In the past I would have hated to have a huge backlog but then I realized that there are so many games out there these days that the quality has dropped a lot and the games I don't finish are not worth my time anymore. Most of them are good but have too much filler content. The great games are the ones that keep me engaged from start to finish. There aren't a lot of them but that's how I judge if a game is good or not.

How do you guys buy 20 games a year?
I usually buy 7-8 boxed switch releases a year plus some indie and ps4 games at a low price years after they release
And my backlog is still gigantic

We buy games and don't play them. What kind of sicko plays the games they buy when we can play forum instead?

Get with the program!

I think that this year has felt that way because some of the big games are more niche. Bayonetta, Xenoblade are great for fans of their genre but are more hardcore games that appeal to a certain niche. Even something like Mario Strikers or Splatoon might not excite people who don’t play online - I have two little kids, for example, so I can’t really play online right now. I can’t commit 100 hours to Xenoblade.
Yeah some of them are definitely more niche. Still this year we also have two new Pokémon games, Mariokart Updates, Switch Sports or Kirby which I see that they are not for everyone but also that they are more mainstream. And let‘s hope that Splatoon 3 has a good singleplayer, but in general it has a way broader appeal than Bayonetta or Xenoblade.
Not only on Wii U. We have had some droughts on Switch, in 2018 and in 2020 (due to covid, yeah, but still). Anyway this year's being really awesome. There are a lot of games I want to play. Just have not enough time!
Yeah but I would say they never were as bad as on WiiU. Maybe there were not many exciting direct presentations, especially in 2020. But in 2018 (Smash, Pokemon) and 2020 (Animal Crossing, Super Mario All Stars) we had multiple new "big" titles which was hardly the case for WiiU, especially in its later live. To be fair though there still was the 3DS.

Last edited:
I usually buy 7-8 boxed switch releases a year plus some indie and ps4 games at a low price years after they release
Tbh Switch is a handheld, you can play it anywhere. So there's more time to finish games than home consoles, which require you to be home.

I buy around 40 games each year for Switch big and small. And I almost never have any backlog whatsoever, whatever I buy I beat it within the week of purchase. On my commute to work alone I have beaten so many games.

Yeah some of them are definitely more niche. Still this year we also have two new Pokémon games, Mariokart Updates, Switch Sports or Kirby which I see that they are not for everyone but also that they are more mainstream. And let‘s hope that Splatoon 3 has a good singleplayer, but in general it has a way broader appeal than Bayonetta or Xenoblade.

Yeah but I would say they never were as bad as on WiiU. Maybe there were not many exciting direct presentations, especially in 2020. But in 2018 (Smash, Pokemon) and 2020 (Animal Crossing, Super Mario All Stars) we had multiple new "big" titles which was hardly the case for WiiU, especially in its later live. To be fair though there still was the 3DS.
I mean the WiiU drought post launch was so bad that it practically killed the system in the first year.
From November 2012 with nsbu and nintendoland until august 2013 with pikmin 3 there was literally nothing on WiiU.
That's a real drought.

Aaah, keep on trying! Well worth it to see the later levels too! Some of these earlier Mario games can be tricky, but you can do it!
Also it's funny, but I always thought Mario World was one of the easier ones. Guess it's harder than the NSMB games but it's easier than the NES games!
Decided to pick up Mario World again where I left off and I beat Lemmy and Ludwig like it was nothing. I guess this game is easier than I remember.

Decided to pick up Mario World again where I left off and I beat Lemmy and Ludwig like it was nothing. I guess this game is easier than I remember.
Awesome! You've got this now, you're on a roll! Hope you keep on enjoying it! Love the forest levels you're coming up on!

hot take:

Super Mario Bros. 3 is better then World. Not only that but its still one of the best platformers ever even today.
Must have been really mindboggling in '89.
No lies detected.

A Mario Bros. retrospective I read some time ago put it best (I'm paraphrasing here): "Most legendary retro games must be approached with a certain mantra in mind: "This was mind blowing back in the day". Super Mario Bros. 3, on the other hand, could have been released yesterday and it still would be getting 10 out of 10s all across the board".

The over reliance on Pokemon Directs is getting tired. As a Nintendo fan its getting really depressing getting news on other core games.
at this point the rest of the year is covered. splatoon, mario+rabbids, and pokemon. they just need something in fall to talk about early 2023

how can we talk about overreliance on Pokemon "Directs" when we just had a Xenoblade one, a Partner Showcase and probably a soon to be announced Splatoon Direct?
Not to mention all the Twitter drops. People really have E3 Direct withdrawal symptoms.

The over reliance on Pokemon Directs is getting tired. As a Nintendo fan its getting really depressing getting news on other core games.
Xenoblade and Mario + Rabbids got their own directs (sorta), Bayonetta got a big trailer, and we’re likely looking at a big Splatoon direct in the coming weeks.

There’s no overreliance on Pokémon Presents.

Yeah, there's no overreliance on Pokemon Directs whatsoever.

The only overreliance Nintendo's been displaying is an overreliance on destroying the patterns we had grown accustomed to. :p

Yeah, there's no overreliance on Pokemon Directs whatsoever.

The only overreliance Nintendo's been displaying is an overreliance on destroying the patterns we had grown accustomed to. :p

Nintendo Social Marketing Team:

giphy.gif

Splatoon better show something new or else they will follow the Pokemon route of simply making slight improvements (and sometimes not even that) to the formula.

I now ignore my backlog and, this year, I've done my best to avoid adding to it. I spent January and February clearing up the last few purchases from 2021 (KOTOR, Dungeon Encounters, No More Heroes 3 and so on). In 2022 I've bought:

• Triangle Strategy (completed twice)
  • Pokemon Legends (completed)
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land (completed)
  • 13 Sentinels (not started; the one potential backlog addition this year)
  • Mass Effect Legendary Edition (completed 1 and 2)
  • Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes (completed)
  • Live A Live (completed)
  • Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak (underway)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (starting it tonight or tomorrow)

This year's a little unusual for me in that most games I've bought are 30 hours plus. Sunbreak and Xenoblade especially are real time-sinks. For the rest of the year, Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3, and Mario + Rabbids 2 are my priority purchases. I'll probably get Elechead, given it's so short, and given I normally try to play a few indie games a year, and there's a bunch of tempting options (Harvestella at the forefront of that queue).

As for how I manage it: gaming chews up a lot of my spare time and I'm fortunate that I have enough disposable income to manage a full price game every month without difficulty. I don't buy once per month, obviously, because of the release schedule; this year I've bought multiple games in March, June, and July, for example, but nothing in the other months of the year.

And the type of discussion found here is exactly the purpose of the podcast. You aren't meant to agree with all of it. Its intent is to spark discussion on a grounded level.
Are you saying I'm not grounded? But my parents use to tell me I was grounded constantly!

I appreciate insights and I love the discussions spurned. It would be pretty funny if a youtuber ran with the "it will be as powerful as a series s" remark - when that isn't first off - what you actually said - and secondly, entirely speculation not based on anything other than what are some pretty "safe" assumptions.

Not sure I've really made a video diving into possible specs or performance in forever because there just is a lot of nothing but speculation. 4K DLSS, that's it. That's all I think is "known".

best case scenario is us playing BotW 2 in 7 months already.... its getting closer and closer with each second and I couldn't be happier about it lol.
I'm actually hoping they'll show something sooner than later so details don't leak before a full trailer. The longer you wait to reveal, the more likely details will somehow get out, but I'll admit it seems like they have got a vacuum sealed lid on this game so far.

Last edited:
And the type of discussion found here is exactly the purpose of the podcast. You aren't meant to agree with all of it. Its intent is to spark discussion on a grounded level.

I actually loved and appreciate the discussion this week. The type of clickbait videos that you discussed are really irritating. I've had to wade through those to try and keep those channels off my Youtube feed.

I'm not sure I agree with MVG that Nintendo didn't have enough they could show, but I just think they have decided that none of their announcements or upcoming games needed to be in a direct, and I kinda agree with them.

I have become a lot more conservative with my gaming purchases ever since Best Buy dropped the GCU program. That being said, I still manage to buy a bunch throughout the year (I always look out for sales0 and then go big at Black Friday.

Quick look, I have bought 20 physical games so far this year and all but 3 are Switch games. I am definitely more likely to wait for cheap sales on the PlayStation side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom